• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with all this bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WAmkZ5Q.png

I'm actually seriously considering dropping a fat stack of cash on a Vive/Oculus

I'm dealing with it, for now, by living in Canada. Some day this will affect me, but for now I just sit and wait.

I feel terrible for you guys though, I sincerely do, hopefully something happens soon to change all of this.

Cut out the bullshit spewers from your life, stick with the good friends that matter and support those who need allies the most. Stay up to date on news but don't let it overwhelm you if you can, and take breaks where necessary.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Consoling myself with the knowledge that there's at least a parallel universe version of me that doesn't wake up every morning asking himself, "What fresh hell can I expect today?"

It feels like I'm living in an episode of 24. And not one of the good seasons either.

jviggy43

Paralyzed by disbelief and wondering how its even possible to do anything about this at all; and thats before considering that fact i don't have much fait in our country to not elect him a second time.

Kadin

I'm handling it fine so far. At this point, it's going pretty much like I feared and I'm just anxiously awaiting some type of news that he's going to turn himself around in some positive way. I have faith that if he starts to really go off the rail, other people including Republicans will eventually stand up to him and take control when and where they can. He's the president, but he's still accountable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sending emails and making calls to reps but I don't know how much more I can take.

I'm worried every second of every day and it's hasn't even been a week. How will we survive 4 years of this?

I am reading the rise and fall of the third Reich on kindle because of the huge length and it is fascinating I wish I had studied history written out like this at school.

Also I look for heinous examples like this
http://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...e/news-story/5033d1bc136f821741bd6b6d0172abca

Of terrible or purposefully slanted journalism and try to contact the reporter to engage them and ask why they are hurting the world.
The above article which basically presents the Reddit the_Donald alt-answer to the crowd size issue makes me think the trump false reality disease is a virus and it needs to me battled somehow.

jstripes

Banned
Even if his popularity dips, he will still be hard to unseat, for a bunch of reasons.

1) Democrats appealing to minorities and the college educated is generally worthless for the electoral college. Trump being beloved by whites without college degrees is a huge plus for him, and will remain a large advantage.

2) Multiple states that voted for Hillary but are controlled by GOP at the state level are trying to make their electoral votes by congressional district, which allows the presidential vote to be gerrymandered.

3) It will be harder for the young and minorities to vote in 2020 due to more restrictive voting laws.

4) Trump wants to loosen campaign finance reform, including those that restrict churches from acting as political organizations, which helps the GOP.

I was talking about Trump's influence on Canadian politics.

I'm handling it fine so far. At this point, it's going pretty much like I feared and I'm just anxiously awaiting some type of news that he's going to turn himself around in some positive way. I have faith that if he starts to really go off the rail, other people including Republicans will eventually stand up to him and take control when and where they can. He's the president, but he's still accountable.

Evil 70-year-old men only change in Dickens stories.

I am not sure if I am safe from being deported with all this shit going on

I feel for all my fellow Haitians we know we seem to always get targeted quick

Viewt

It's difficult. My girlfriend and I just commiserate every night and it's depressing as fuck.

But we're doing what we can. We're attending marches and protests, we're volunteering, and we're donating to the causes that need that money (Planned Parenthood, ACLU, etc).

Curling up into a fetal position and going into some kind of fugue state is tempting, but we can't. We can't give up. The only way we're going to still have an America to live in two and four years from now is if we fight this every step of the way.

We have to be the generation that actually fixes things and doesn't just kick them down the road to the next group. Otherwise, we're all even more fucked than we are now.

You can't deal with the real problems in the US until you deal with Fox News and right wing entertainment. Trump is essentially a product of Fox News. He wouldn't even give a shit enough to run for President if he wasn't a Fox News junkie. It's going to get far worse than Trump and alternative facts. Idiocracy is kind of a cliche right now but that's down that road a bit further.

Kadin

Evil 70-year-old men only change in Dickens stories.
Yeah I pretty much assume this to be the case, but it's the only thing I can cling to other than just allowing myself to acknowledge that it might be just like this for 4 years. I just can't see how I'll be able to deal with it with no slight glimmer of any hope.

Copper

It's difficult. My girlfriend and I just commiserate every night and it's depressing as fuck.

But we're doing what we can. We're attending marches and protests, we're volunteering, and we're donating to the causes that need that money (Planned Parenthood, ACLU, etc).

Curling up into a fetal position and going into some kind of fugue state is tempting, but we can't. We can't give up. The only way we're going to still have an America to live in two and four years from now is if we fight this every step of the way.

We have to be the generation that actually fixes things and doesn't just kick them down the road to the next group. Otherwise, we're all even more fucked than we are now.

The problem is these marches, protests, and donations are not enough. We allowed such an administration to take one of the highest powered seats in the world. How exactly do we defend ourselves against that?

Viewt

And the thing is, I have it EASY. I'm white, straight, male, young, (relatively) healthy, and I have an upper-middle class job in a liberal metropolis.

Basically, I have the best lot in this shit sandwich of a scenario. I don't know how the rest of you can do it.

The problem is these marches, protests, and donations are not enough. We allowed such an administration to take one of the highest powered seats in the world. How exactly do we defend ourselves against that?

They're not nearly enough. But I firmly believe that everything counts, and it all helps to move us an inch closer to where we need to be, or at least helps make things slightly less worse. It's a small, if fleeting comfort.

Paralyzed by disbelief and wondering how its even possible to do anything about this at all; and thats before considering that fact i don't have much fait in our country to not elect him a second time.

I just turned 40 and I'm more disillusioned with my country than ever. More disillusioned than I ever thought I could be. More embarrassed for my nation, for the office of the President, for the system of government than I ever thought I could be. I don't make enough money to help anyone else, so I'm going to donate my time and my energy to be a fragment of the conscience those in power lack.

Gutek

Trump is as bad as everybody predicted. There's no more "wait and see." There's a truckload of bad news every day.

How are you handling it? Are you getting active and involved? Are you tuning out? Are you self-medicating? Are you pushing yourself deeper into projects/art/music?

If you think Trump is great, hey, this thread ain't for you.

Personally, I've got out and protested a couple of times, and I'm looking for ways to get more deeply involved. I've thought about starting a blog, but I don't know if that would add much at this point, unless I had a particular philosophy to organize readers around. But I'm struggling a bit, at this point.

I'm leaving the country. I'm just devastated that the visa process is taking so fucking long.

I can't help but still be fairly optimistic about the future, though I have no idea just how blind it is. All this rush of bad news can be pretty overwhelming, but I can still play my part in helping us get through this mess. My time at the women's march is still fresh in my mind, and more people are getting into activism than ever, so I have some faith that a fire has been lit under our collective asses to slow down the damage that will inevitably be caused by the Trumpster fire. This twitter thread was pretty good reading too.

It can seem that nothing good can ever happen anymore, but I still ain't backing down.

I've always been a pretty positive guy but world events since 2015 have changed that quite a bit. I feel like someone living in the 1910s waiting for society as a whole to blow up. I have big plans for 2017, especially during the summer, so right now I'm working on reducing my drinking since I had to resort to alcohol a little bit too much recently to ease my mood.

The "good news" is Brexit + Trump made me register to be able to vote in the French presidential election this year. I shamefuly admit that I haven't voted in quite a while but I'm not skipping out this year. Marine won't pass but if she does... Well, hello China, you're my only hope.

Well I want to kill myself daily. Though I wouldn't actually do it because I wouldn't want to do that to my mother. Everything just seems so hopeless, especially given my situation that I don't want to get into.

Cepheus

I'm from the UK but I was so invested in US politics during the election that I think I know as much about US politics as I do UK politics now. I completely switched off from UK politics completely after Brexit, and I legitimately felt ill when I woke up the day after Election Day to find Trump as US President.

If I lived in America I'd be getting involved in protests etc. Looking back, I should have gone to the march in London on the 21st but I live quite far away from there right now. I just cut all the closet fascists out of my life and if there are any more UK protests about it then I'll definitely go.

Bernie or busters who voted 3rd part or not at all, there's others but it gives you an idea
Oh I see. My ex professor was telling me she voted for Jill Stein and the reason she did that was 1. she obviously also didn't like hillary and 2. if Stein got enough votes that may put a leg up on the whole 2 party system that we've always had

No, plenty of people predicted it would be this bad, and some predicted a lot worse, actually.

And then everyone else was like "You're crazy we have nothing to worry about long term it's fine he's fine".

There was a thread about a Michael Shannon interview a while back in which he expresses concern for the future of his children and the planet, and a shocking amount of people thought he was being needlessly hyperbolic.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
One minute I tell myself it's going to be okay and to remain optimistic.

Then the next twelve hours I pain myself and sink into a depression over the fact that this country is spiraling out of control.

A minute after that I tell myself to calm down and remain hopeful. It can't get worse.

Then for another twelve hours I sink into even further depression over how much damage Trump, his administration and republicans are doing.

This has been on repeat since election day.

Conan-san

Gritting my teeth so hard they will probably burst from my mouth and not willing to give Tory or GOP the satisfaction of my defeat whilst cussing Labour and DNC for failing to be anything other than pissants.

And to the screaming fuck beast that is the 24 hour flogging news parade I scream back.

Kindekuma

Banned
I've handled a lot of bullshit lately, this is nothing. Car got totaled, diagnosed with cancer and further surgery, moving as well.

Feels like everything around me is bursting into flames and I'm just sitting here sipping some tea watching it all go down.

I found not watching the news 24/7 has made my emotional state a lot more relaxed. I'll watch nightly news to recap daily events and maybe a little bit of current new airings but I need to cut it off after that.

I hope he will turn the economy to shit in a way that oil prices will skyrocket. That's money in the bank for me and everyone I know.

Other than that, I hope at least Americans will learn some sort of lesson until the next election. Though realistically, I think we are entering a new way of things globally. The century of America is over, and these years are the ones historians will be looking back at with great interest in a hundred years. If there are any historians, that is.

Limit

Gonna write to my senators' and congressperson's office for 2nd time in 10 years. Triple down on progressive agenda.

Skyzard

Banned
I used to post less politics, now I will post more.

I didn't think it was possible.

I used to think education and morality prevailed through the masses. That perspective was shattered. Humans are simple animals (etc).

mo60

I'm shocked but there is nothing I can do really besides sit and wait until his four year term is up since I don't live in the US.

JordanN

Banned
How do some of you function?

Life goes on. He's a shithead, and sure, I worry. But I'd never let it rule my damn life. I got bills to pay, a girlfriend to make happy, games to play, things to do. I keep myself occupied and hope things turn around. That's it.

Trump is very unhinged.

Look before he even became President, and he was peddling birth certificate conspiracy theories, sexually assaulting women, threatening to use nukes because "he has them", insults anyone who is not like him.

Now he is in control of the most powerful country on earth and believes the things he says. It's hard not to ignore how it wont affect everyone.

Spaghetti

I briefly thought we were acting like Conservatives did when Obama got elected, but then I realised Trump was actually veritably doing this shit.

I don't think I could say what I really feel without getting banned, but it feels increasingly like this is how the world burns to the ground.

Getting involved locally. Yeah, it doesn't effect the big picture, but it's humbling and gratifying to volunteer at a food pantry and animal rescue. If all you do is read the internet, it's easy to forget there are people and organizations everywhere making an effort to help others and they need all the support they can get. It feels good to be involved in something positive and interact with other people directly, it gives you some perspective. We need to fall back on our communities and strengthen our ties to one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom