• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with people who voted for Trump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate and divide isn't going to get us anywhere.

Hold contempt for their political opinion, but work WITH them. TALK to them. HELP THEM UNDERSTAND WHY THEY'RE WRONG. If they refuse to, then just let them be themselves, don't be their friend, and just be professional and tolerate them.

Grow up.

Incarmine

Banned
We literally can because THEIR leaders are the reason for all of the issues they're facing. Black people and LBGT have been here for DECADES, they've had more than enough exposure to not constantly try to fuck over our interests.

Again you're, like the others, adopting the attitude of, "Fuck them! If we say Fuck them loudly enough they'll somehow disappear."

Not happening.

What am I gonna do? Hate half the country?

I'm moving on. Trump is a fucking asshole, but the world isn't ending. People need to get a grip.
For many poor and oppresed, like people of color, or any who fall under the banner of LGBT+, this could very well be the end for them.

I kicked Trump supporters out of my life months ago. There were only a few.

I don't care what happens to anyone that supported Trump. Take that however you want.

Squalor

I ain't never been a both sides guy. The GOP and Republican establishment are anti-science, and have been using the bigotry of the white rural and working class voters for 5 decades to cling to power. They're bad for not only our country but the entire earth.

HOWEVER

To accept that a full half of our country is racist or bigoted simply for voting is fucking stupid.

People make decisions based on zero or low information all the time. They may have seen Trump speaking and not understood the consequences or nuances of what he was saying. Maybe they didn't hear him at all and just decided to vote AGAINST Clinton. Maybe they're racists. We don't know because a single vote doesn't determine bigotry.

When someone votes for Trump it's very likely they're supporting "change". It's very hard for a party to win a 3rd term and this is the reason why. By the end of 8 years of one party the nation is ready for a different direction.
It's not just "simply for voting."

It's because of everything I have seen in my life plus the fact that people are supporting this bigot.

I'm not naïve, and I'm not in denial.

marrec

Banned
Good ol quantum racism.

Some of them absolutely.

I guess I don't see the difference between racist/bigoted and too stupid to realize that you're allowing terrible things to happen to people slightly different than you.

That's I guess the problem? Or, moreover, the fact that you give a false dichotomy like that anyway.

We liberals believe that every one of Trumps voters sees the policies and speeches the same way that we do. It just ain't true though. Most people don't know that Stop and Frisk is racist as hell. Most Trump voters think that Trump is just a bombasitic blowhard who is going to bring much needed change to Washington. They're obviously wrong, but voting for bad people for the wrong reason is part of democracy.

This makes me feel like the whole civil rights movement may have been for nothing.

The idea that bigotry should no longer be a big deal, so we don't hurt as many people's feelings and push them toward a bigoted populist icon.

I'm trying to be practical. Half the country voted for fucking Donald Trump, we have to change tactics. We can stay on the holier than thou moral high ground or we can make some tough decisions for the greater good.

Hold contempt for their political opinion, but work WITH them. TALK to them. HELP THEM UNDERSTAND WHY THEY'RE WRONG.

Grow up.

They're not interested in understanding why they're wrong. Trump voters are mostly older people who are dug in and set in their ways and won't change. Look at the electoral map from last night based on 18-25 voters. Those are the people who are the future and will change this nation.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care, fuck them.

They opposed Obama with disgusting claims and obstructionism because he was black and gave people civil rights and health care. I oppose them because they're racist scum that will tear down progress.

lol. All 50 million are rascist scum? Wow.

You could start by getting the fuck off your high horse. Half the country voted for him, he won, self righteous outrage isn't going to cut it here.

How about, I dunno, you speak to them about why they voted for him? Get their point of view maybe?
They voted for a man who's running mate literately believes me to be subhuman and put forward a bill staying that I should be jailed if I applied for a marriage license.

I don't quite frankly give a shit that they believed his bullshit lie about how he'll save the rust belt. Because that just isn't happening.

So fuck them and fuck this I have to play nice with them now shit.

From now on everybody gets the side eye.

So far, my co-worker has been pretty quiet, although uncharacteristically cheery. He's a bit of a bully at work, so it didn't surprise me in the least when I found out she was a Trump supporter last month.

Another vocal Trump supporter I actually get along with quiet well. Still don't want to talk to her though. Just not in the mood.

Edit:

Best friend at work is absolutely gutted, as am I. I'm trying to keep a happy face though.

Disappointed, but not surprised. It's not worth arguing with them. They just don't see themselves as racists/sexists/homophobes/xenophobes no matter how much they endorse or associate with it. As long as things work out for them, they really do not care about what happens to everyone else.

But this isn't anything we didn't already know. They made their bed and now they have to sleep in it. Once the day comes where Trump's shitty policies end up hurting them too, they'll still have to live with their vote. No blood on my hands.

But my bigger disappointment today is reserved for the Democratic leadership. They allowed what couldn't happen to actually happen. Should be an all-time wake-up call for them, if there ever was one. What a screw-up.

Meowster

For many poor and oppresed, like people of color, or any who fall under the banner of LGBT+, this could very well be the end for them.
It very well could be the end of the world for many, so seeing the smugness of people saying "we need to understand both sides, grow up" bullshit sound really ignorant right about now when millions could have the progress of the past eight years be undone and ruin them.

His fucking running mate thinks I should go to conversion therapy.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Again you're, like the others, adopting the attitude of, "Fuck them! If we say Fuck them loudly enough they'll somehow disappear."

Not happening.
I'm actively teaching my children as well as my students to fight this sort of bigotry. You don't actively change things by being quiet and sitting down or tolerating racism.

Amory

What does that even mean?

Listen I'm upset too, and I didn't mean to offend with my response. This probably isn't the thread for me today. I'm doing my best to have a practical "this is the situation and we have to deal with it" mentality. But people need to vent and I get that.

I'd advise you to walk the talk before talking down to people who actually have to live with the consequences of this.

I work for an American company that has vocal Trump supporters. I'll be seeing them when I'm off graveyard shift, and I will be doing exactly as I say, like I did previously when we'd talk about politics in the lunchroom.

Also, when America sneezes - the world catches a cold. We're all going to be dealing with the consequences of this.

I'm gay and half my family has Brown skin. I'm lucky I can pass, others aren't so lucky.

I heard enough cruel jokes after 9/11, I ain't doing that shit again.

Incarmine

Banned
Again I hear a lot of this, "They're racist scum so they can't be reasoned with."

....... and then what? Just hope they'll disappear?

I hear a lot of outcry, rightly so, that these are backwards people and they enabled a man who could potentially take us backwards decades, but I don't see discussion on what could be done to actually fix the issue. Just a lot of giving up.

Now, more than ever, is the time to not do that.

Future

More annoyed with democrats not turning out to be honest. It's gonna be like 50 years before we can really change some policy because the core liberal audience is just too young and emotional to reliably vote. Always some excuse not to

Only hope is that young people stay liberal as they get older so they can be old and smart enough to use their vote

Again I hear a lot of this, "They're racist scum so they can't be reasoned with."

I hear a lot of outcry, rightly so, that these are backwards people and they enabled a man who could potentially take us backwards decades, but I don't see discussion on what could be done to actually fix the issue. Just a lot of giving up.

Personally I'm hoping they all die between lack of health care, poor diet, and the destruction of the environment.

I'm not going to bother reasoning with them no.

If they couldn't be bothered to give a shit about people like me I'm sure as shit not going to be bothered to do so in kind.

Crossing Eden

Look at the EC map demographic among the younger ones, blue everywhere, so yes, they'll disappear, the less we tolerate those mindsets, the better, it seems to me like the white moderate are trying to take this chance to take their passive support to the next level via telling POCs, LBGT, etc. that they should just take it

The outcry isn't giving up.

marrec

Banned
Personally I'm hoping they all die between lack of health care, poor diet, and the destruction of the environment.

While we wait for the far right and hardcore bigots to die, they insidiously indoctrinate youth with dogwhistle politics and half-truths.

Waiting for bigots to die ain't going to work.

Fox Mulder

Hold contempt for their political opinion, but work WITH them. TALK to them. HELP THEM UNDERSTAND WHY THEY'RE WRONG. If they refuse to, then just let them be themselves, don't be their friend, and just be professional and tolerate them.

Grow up.

Oh, they totally did that with Obama.

We tried working with republicans for years with obama and got nothing but a fuck you in return.

It is what it is. No reason to make enemies over politics.
This isn't just politics. My gf has many muslim friends and they're scared of being deported or being discriminated against or having their hijabs ripped off by emboldened xenophobic fucks.

And then to see all my straight white male friends on Facebook go on about how great this win was and how it's great that liberals are crying.... I haven't been more disappointed in my country ever. The American electorate showed a shocking lack of empathy against massive groups of people last night and it spurred my depression like no other.

I'm going to guess people in this thread telling us to get over it aren't part of the groups that will face persecution and discrimination under a Trump presidency, hell, I doubt some of them even have friends that will.

While we wait for the far right and hardcore bigots to die, they insidiously indoctrinate youth with dogwhistle politics and half-truths.

Waiting for bigots to die ain't going to work.
It's the day after the election and I didn't get any sleep. I have to daydream instead.

breakfuss

Look, all this "get a grip" bullshit should stop. How dismissive can you be? Yeah I'm obviously not a fan of Trump, but he doesn't bother me as much as what his victory indicates about where we stand as a nation. If someone voted for Trump, I DONT hate them, and I don't think theyre intrinsically a bad person. I didn't start this thread to shit on people with opposing views. I realize that at the end of the day there are many layers to this for some Conservatives, and ultimately some felt forced into a decision. HOWEVER, policies (or lack thereof) ASIDE, the margin of victory for a candidate that ran such an openly divisive, HATEFUL, marginalizing and fear-mongering campaign from its inception is simply disturbing. Don't tell us to get a grip when there are millions around us who obviously see nothing wrong with this. If anything I don't know how you're not as terrified.

Beefy

Kinda crazy how many posters are saying people should respect peoples views. When you now have Trump as President.

theecakee

I'm just going to avoid talking to them about it. I'm angry with them but people like my father or brother I can't just cut from my life.

Incarmine

Banned
I'm actively teaching my children as well as my students to fight this sort of bigotry. You don't actively change things by being quiet and sitting down or tolerating racism.

No one's saying anything about tolerating racism. But teaching people to fight bigotry doesn't address the big underlying problem, which is that this rural white america is poor, and feeling like their economic futures are hopeless. Teaching your children and students to face down bigots and tell them in their faces that they're wrong isn't going to put better food on their table or get them better jobs.

Trump gave them that promise and that's why they voted for him. Fix or at least try to fix those underlying foundational issues and the racism will be much easier to eliminate.

EDIT: I haven't followed GAF for most of the election year but I'm sure a lot of people had a lot to say about the scorched-earth tactics Trump was using, and now people here are suggesting the same against an entire swath of the American electorate. Again, you guys seriously want a class war?

Crossing Eden

First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Never before have these words been more pertinent to our time.

No one's saying anything about tolerating racism. But teaching people to fight bigotry doesn't address the big underlying problem, which is that this rural white america is poor, and feeling like their economic futures are hopeless. Teaching your children and students to face down bigots and tell them in their faces that they're wrong isn't going to put better food on their table or get them better jobs.

Trump gave them that promise and that's why they voted for him. Fix or at least try to fix those underlying foundational issues and the racism will be much easier to eliminate.
Read the above.

Y'all just gonna ignore the increase in hate crimes after brexit huh? Luke that didn't happen. Like emboldening those that hate us doesn't do that?

Please.

Talking to them. Got a bunch at work. They're very nice people on the surface so we just exchanged perspectives over coffee.

They just want change and *really* didn't like Clinton despite Trump not being ideal due to his rhetoric.

It's frustrating to be constantly told you have to be better than the people that hate you (but don't expect help from us!) anytime you want to talk about the festering parts of America.

I for one don't think all Trump supporters are bigots but I do feel they are all gullible and at least not bothered by bigotry. I don't think there's a succinct term to sum all that up.

None of these ways of thinking are surprising, but I think a lot of minorities expected more from self-proclaimed "allies" and the like. It's not just the prospect of a Trump presidency, it's one with a Pence VP, equal horrible cabinet members, and a Republican led Congress.

There's a lot of fear of both the known and the unknown right now.

Y'all just gonna ignore the increase in hate crimes after brexit huh? Luke that didn't happen. Like emboldening those that hate us doesn't do that?

Please.

Not at all but we need to come up with a realistic strategy to prevent this from happening again. If the majority of the country hates muslims we can't just say "fuck all them" because they'll swing every election against us.

PopeReal

What is amazing to me is all this concern coming from Trump supporters that we need to be nice to them while they have offered nothing to people who are openly distraught about their future as minorities/gay citizens in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom