• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How big of a deal is VRR?

RasAlGhoul

My question is:
Is it going to make a 30fps fidelity mode game run smoother on my 65"Oled!?
No. It will help on a game that can’t hit 30 or runs between 40 and 60 or whatever. It’s great on PC with the display for it and because you can tell the game to run unlocked. That’s not an option on console at this point. If a game has two modes 30 and 60 and they are both consistent VRR has no benefit. It does offer something for losers to war over though.

Last edited:

RafterXL

It's a huge deal and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. On PC it's evident, but even on consoles there are tons of games, yes even Playstation games, that would benefit from having VRR.

Trust me, when Sony finally gets their head out of their asses and implements it, this whole narrative that it's not important will disappear.
It's a big deal for the 1% of people that can use it.
Dude, the best selling tv at Walmart last year has VRR and it's cheap ass $500 set. Tons of tvs have VRR. This narrative is idiotic.
For console gaming - its not important.

For PC gaming - its important.
It's important for both.

Buggy Loop

I don't know for TVs/consoles (but i can imagine), but i can't go back to non VRR after G-sync on PC. It's the biggest wow factor from my monitor, ultrawide being second.

Gsync was an absolute game changer. PC gaming performance Issues were a pain in the ass before it, as everyone was trying to get stable frames at the refresh rate.

For consoles, 100% depends on the game and how well it’s optimized. We all know many games have issues meeting the 30/60/120fps mark, so it is valuable, but not as critical.

RafterXL

It makes 0 difference at all, people who overpaid for their TVs bitch about it all the time and lie to themselves about seeing a difference.
How the fuck would you know? You own one the shittiest tvs on the market. Your opinion on ANYTHING having to do with television settings or usage is less than meaningless.

Kagey K

Banned
How the fuck would you know? You own one the shittiest tvs on the market. Your opinion on ANYTHING having to do with television settings or usage is less than meaningless.
When I read that I thought maybe they were confusing HDR with VRR.

Even then the post is pretty nonsense.

nkarafo

Gamechanger for me.

It also helps with emulation and Mame, where many games run at odd refresh rates like 57hz and similar.

With VRR you get the original speed without stutters. Before you either had to increase speed to 60hz (so the game would run faster) or deal with stutters.

Armorian

Banned
It's essential on PC but on consoles it's a nice thing to have if game drops some frames here and there.

BUT, XSX devs don't seem to prioritize frame rate that much based that many PS5 versions of the games has smoother FR (even if resolution is lower). Maybe they are too much into "VRR will clean this" mentality.

Deathloop in quality mode has framerate that would only be ok with VRR, but ~50FPS is still worse than locked 60. ALWAYS.

ZywyPL

Banned
For console gaming - its not important.

For PC gaming - its important.

I'd say it's exactly the other way around - on PC you're completely free to set the settings for a rock-solid, perfectly locked frametate, wheteas on consoles you can't do jack shit if the game drops FPS to 50s or even 40s.

a huge deal! we'll probably not so much on consoles. for games at 30fps it's pointless. at 60fps it helps a little but only between 40/48-60fps. so if a game is bouncing between 40/48-60fps it will remove screen tearing and improve input latency.

if you are on PC where 60fps is considered the minimum and a lot of people play at 144-240hz then yeah VRR is pretty much essential. if you are playing a game that can bounce between 80-140fps then it will feel smooth no matter what the fps is.

i wouldn't recommend buying a VRR tv if you only play on console. don't think it's worth it. if you get a tv with it then sure it's a nice feature to have but unless you are gonna be playing PC then i wouldn't bother worrying about VRR.

tl;dr: consoles too weak to make use of VRR. need much higher frame rates than 60fps.

I'd say it's exactly the other way around - on PC you're completely free to set the settings for a rock-solid, perfectly locked frametate, wheteas on consoles you can't do jack shit if the game drops FPS to 50s or even 40s.
on pc i can play cyberpunk at anywhere between 65-120fps. by that logic i should just cap the game to 60fps and miss out on 60fps? nah. if a game can do 120fps even if only some of the time then i want it. i didn't build a pc to leave performance on the table.

Utherellus

As a PC gamer I never had it. And just recently got a monitor which supports Freesync Premium.

It's amazing feature. When you don't want to use Vsync for latency or other issues, VRR comes for rescue.

ZywyPL

Banned
on pc i can play cyberpunk at anywhere between 65-120fps. by that logic i should just cap the game to 60fps and miss out on 60fps? nah. if a game can do 120fps even if only some of the time then i want it. i didn't build a pc to leave performance on the table.

So like I said - it's very useful, but not necessary, because you have many means to deal with framerate, unlike consoles.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
More than worth it imo
Eliminating screen tearing and smoothing out frame rates that are not consistent 60 made it more than worth it.
Plus playing games like gears & rainbow six siege multiplayer at 120fps is great :D

I got the Samsung QLED Q80T 55inch and love it, it's a lot more affordable now too :)

Kenpachii

My question is:
Is it going to make a 30fps fidelity mode game run smoother on my 65"Oled!?

Yes, because u won't need to cap janky 30 fps anymore. and can sit for 95% at higher framerates which makes the game a lot more smoother and actually ultilize max potentional of your hardware without having to worry about judder and screen tearing.

This is why capping framerate on PC hasn't been a thing since almost a decade because of VRR screens.

Its so good that VRR on PC is basically the norm and even tech reviewers won't review screens anymore without it as they are useless.

Last edited:

yamaci17

it even makes the 30 fps better

instead of enabling half vsync that proceeds to add 33.3 ms input lag to each frame, vrr syncs every frame without the input lag involved

believe me, that input lag affects the snappiness of a game hugely. vsync is a flawed tech, glad we're getting rid of it

;

v38iMcA.jpg
1dEEspF.jpg

160 ms input lag = 30 fps + 1/2 vsync
70 ms input lag = 30 fps + freesync + no vsync

and believe me, it makes a ton of difference. if you don't, you have to try yourself

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's gonna be very useful for any performance mode in these consoles since in 99% of cases, they are not really locked, no matter what df trying the first 10 less heptic hours of a game can say about it.

Or really any mode since even the 30 fps mode are rarely locked.

Last edited:

YCoCg

It's a modern feature, why NOT get it to at least make sure you have it? So that way it's there if you do need it. This forum will be very positive about VRR once Sony finally patches it in come December.

SpokkX

Well i posted about this
Tldr - it is a true gamechanger in the current gen where the framerate target is 60 or 120 (30 is not really a target anymore and vrr does not work at such low framerate

Rikkori

Meh. Had freesync before and am now on a TV without it, it's not a big deal at all. Only in very few specific scenarios did I wish I had it, and that's only as a PC gamer with full control over settings & fps. What you should really pay attention to if you buy a new TV is HDR performance, that's what really makes or breaks the experience imo and is much more important than anything else. Since we don't know your country you should tell us what TVs you're looking at.

yamaci17

Well i posted about this
Tldr - it is a true gamechanger in the current gen where the framerate target is 60 or 120 (30 is not really a target anymore and vrr does not work at such low framerate

120 hz with a lfc screen means you have 0-120 fps range

30-60 fps is mapped to 60-120 hz via duplication of each frame

ez pz

Zathalus

It makes 0 difference at all, people who overpaid for their TVs bitch about it all the time and lie to themselves about seeing a difference.
Super easy to tell the difference if you have both consoles. Tales of Arise demo on both the PS5 and XSX, both struggle to lock to 60FPS in the quality mode, PS5 is horrible to play as, while the XSX version is completely usable.

SpokkX

Super easy to tell the difference if you have both consoles. Tales of Arise demo on both the PS5 and XSX, both struggle to lock to 60FPS in the quality mode, PS5 is horrible to play as, while the XSX version is completely usable.
Yeah this is a good example

series x feels completly locked to 60fps, ps5 feels jittery and bad

Zathalus

Yeah this is a good example

series x feels completly locked to 60fps, ps5 feels jittery and bad
Another good example would have been Deathloop, the Quality mode is a significant step up in pixels from the framerate mode, but is completely unusable due to the FPS being everywhere. With VRR it would have been perfectly usable, obviously not as smooth as 60FPS, but it would still be stutter free and play way better.

The only people who think VRR is overrated are hardcore PS5 fanboys who are secretly mad that the console does not have it yet. Which is utterly bizarre, as it is eventually getting the feature.

I can guarantee the dismissing of VRR is going to disappear overnight once the PS5 VRR update lands.

Arioco

It's the tearing that's the problem on consoles most of the time. The 120hz modes in games also greatly benefit from VRR as they are never locked 120hz.

Sometimes they are pretty much locked 120 fps. Look at DOOM Eternal, or the new COD. But anyway generally speaking VRR is a must at 60 or 120 fps and I wish SONY would release that update already. I daresay it's the main advantage of Series S/X against PS5.

twilo99

Btw AMD has "tiers" for their VRR .. I had no idea until I got monitor that said "AMD freeSynch premium pro" in the settings, so looked it up. If you care, you can make sure to get a screen/TV with the top rating. Samsung seems to be the only brand on that list that does support the pro tier

here is the TV list: FreeSync TVs | AMD

monitor list: Shop | AMD

I've got that Dell S2721DGF and its absolutely stellar paired with a 6800xt

I guess now games are supporting it too, which I don't quite understand.

AMD FreeSync™ Premium Pro Technology¹ | AMD

basically all the fps differences we saw in any comparation are won instantly by the console (and tv) that support vrr

Correct, which is why I thought all these frame picking videos from DF were pointless. The xbox drops a few frames, a VRR TV presents a perfectly smooth gameplay.

Last edited:

dsingh2009

Neophyte
Huge. It’s a game changer. Especially for games that don’t quite hit their targets. I first got it with my
PG35VQ ultra wide monitor with gsync ultimate. That with the HDR1000 and 200hz refresh opened my eyes.

So I quickly upgraded my TV as well to an LG C1 77” with VRR. Again, makes games with unlocked frame rates that ordinarily feel unplayable without locking it to 30, feel ultra smooth.

if you don’t have VRR, get it.
BhtBozs.jpg
bnH53xd.jpg
I know this is like nearly 2 months late but what game are you playing on the LG C1 (bottom picture) and also using what exact settings? Including HDR, dtm/hgig, hdmi input (e.g game console or PC), literally everything from brightness/contrast to cold/warm settings and sharpness etc. The reason I ask is to see if my display would look the same on those exact settings, or maybe its just the photograph which seems to blend the colours more. Assuming that’s being played from a PS5 console as I would be too. Thanks.

Top Bottom