• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can Capcom release Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on modern platforms?

I just missed the PSN sale of Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, a title that I had a passing interest in, which is why I missed the sale. In looking up details about UMVC3, I wondered why Capcom has not been able to release Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on any modern platforms. Even the announcement for EVO 2020, I was wondering if there was going to be an announcement. With Covid-19 wiping out an in person EVO event and MVC2 wiped from the event, where does MVC2 stand right now? What are the chances of seeing this title again on modern platforms? What is keeping this title on Dreamcast and PS2 platforms?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I just missed the PSN sale of Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, a title that I had a passing interest in, which is why I missed the sale. In looking up details about UMVC3, I wondered why Capcom has not been able to release Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on any modern platforms. Even the announcement for EVO 2020, I was wondering if there was going to be an announcement. With Covid-19 wiping out an in person EVO event and MVC2 wiped from the event, where does MVC2 stand right now? What are the chances of seeing this title again on modern platforms? What is keeping this title on Dreamcast and PS2 platforms?
PS360 and iOS got it, then got dead mostly because of Infinite.

But yeah, I kinda miss it too. I guess that has licesing issues with Marvel because of the movies and shit

yurinka

Probably wouldn't make sense due to how bad such a fast game may work with the current online infrastructure.

I assume PS5 and series X will use a better wifi than base XBO and PS4 and probably PSN and XBL will get an improvement, something that I assume would help games like this one to get proper online.

dont worry, I heard some rumors

5t2nF9G.jpg

Get ready to grind out matches for hours to unlock all the characters.

I've done it twice... and I ain't doing it again.

ha? I dunno bout you but, I usually just start it game in training mode and leave the game on overnight

- you get around 10 or 15 points per minute in training mode, make sure you don't pause

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Oh god really?

I just did like 100s of aracde runs hahahaha.
ha? I dunno bout you but, I usually just start it game in training mode and leave the game on overnight

- you get around 10 or 15 points per minute in training mode, make sure you don't pause
Get this

I snagged a Japanese Dreamcast copy at an expo

Yeah you want to unlock all the characters? Gotta play online for some of them
No more servers? Better have a way to import a save to a VMU that has them all unlocked or a gameshark

kingbean

Get this

I snagged a Japanese Dreamcast copy at an expo

Yeah you want to unlock all the characters? Gotta play online for some of them
No more servers? Better have a way to import a save to a VMU that has them all unlocked or a gameshark

That's nuts.
They make burnable disks with importable VMU saves on them. That's how I'm gonna do it with MVC2 and CVS.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think Disney is why. Licensing issues.

It's a sad state of affairs when a game can't be ported because of expired licensing for its content.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The ps3 version has all of the characters unlocked from the start fyi.
But yeah I think there are licensing issues. If they ever do release it again then it will probably be to promote an upcoming MvC4 when/if that ever happens.

DansDans

I worked in an arcade when MvC2 came out

A character would unlock every 400 credits that were played - it was an event when the new character was about to unlock - kids would come from everywhere just to see who it was (there was a counter on the title screen to let everyone know the progress)

There was a catch - pressing the service button had no effect in speeding up the process. It seriously only relied (that we knew at the time anyway) legit coin runs to credit.
So dodgy arcade operators who wanted to speed up the process but clearly didnt care about their bookkeeping accuracy could do this

Fun times

Top Bottom