• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how can microsoft win the war when its irrelevant in japan and most of europe?

Shaheed79 said:
Big publishers are a making a LOT of money on Wii. Trust me you have no idea what you're talking about.

Whatever you say, dude. I'm not a stockholder so I don't care how much money anyone besides myself makes.

My point is there are games that will sell MORE on 360/PS3 even though it might have less of a userbase than the Wii, so why would publishers care of such a large userbase, most of which won't buy your game anyway? Wii owners bought the Wii for their fave Nintendo classics, not to play most 3rd party games.

jrricky

Banned
PapiShasho said:
Most of the BIG games will sell more on the 360 or PS3 than on the Wii, regardless of userbase.

Nintendo's BIG 3 is what sells on the Wii, and Pokemon, and cute little sim games.

Epic games won't sell on it because if the games are also on 360 and PS3, with considerably better graphics, people will buy it on those systems.

Anyone buying Madden 08 for the Wii? :lol
nope, noones buying madden 08 for Wii.......:lol :lol (yep, noone bought madden 07 for wii either:lol :lol )

Banned
soco said:
what does that have to do with being fair? melee was a sequel to SSB, and it sold fewer copies (at least according to wikipedia). being that more people will own a Wii than a GC, it's quite possible it'll sell more copies than melee, but who knows.

the sales are a pretty good indication of how many people bought the game, even 2-3 years after launch.
I don't think so. Halo 2 was huge out of the gate becuase of the new people attracted to halo with multi-player. i believev the same would have happeend with Melee 2 if it came out on the Gamecube, but it didn't.

Instead it will happen on the wii. A console with tons of momentum, and is really damn popular right now.

ksamedi

Lightning said:
I think that the Wii are going to get the majority of casual games from 3rd parties. There is just no way that Rockstar are going to make the next GTA on the Wii, or Capcom are going to make the next Devil May Cry on the Wii, or Epic are going to make the next Unreal Tournament on the Wii etc....

Wii fans will get their games, but they are not going to get "PS2 level" of support like most fanatic Nintendo fans think it will.

Well, the Wii is on track to sell 100 million consoles. Publishers will eventually branch out to every genre on the Wii, this is just the beginning.

jrricky

Banned
PapiShasho said:
Whatever you say, dude. I'm not a stockholder so I don't care how much money anyone besides myself makes.

My point is there are games that will sell MORE on 360/PS3 even though it might have less of a userbase than the Wii, so why would publishers care of such a large userbase, most of which won't buy your game anyway? Wii owners bought the Wii for their fave Nintendo classics, not to play most 3rd party games.
Please dont generalize me. :) thanks.

ksamedi

PapiShasho said:

Well Nintendo sure has a lot of fans then :lol :lol

StevieP

Banned
PapiShasho said:
It's not about userbase for publishers though, it's for sales of THAT game.

For publishers of game that will cater to Nintendo's userbase, then I'm sure it's a no brainer.

Where do you think Madden will sell more copies? Wii or PS3? You think EA is itching to make a "special" version for the Wii because it has SO MANY USERS, or do they know it won't sell much there anyway so they'll just throw a downgraded port on it?

Didn't Madden '07 sell more copies on the Wii than it did on the PS3? Or was that Tiger? Or was that one of the other multiplatform games that sold like shit on the PS3? You could've said 360 and had an argument there, y'know. How many times must crow be eaten on this forum before you people get it? Wii isn't going anywhere, and the "well" isn't going to dry up. Similarly, if third parties want to make more money (as publishers demand) they'll have to cater to it. And they'll quickly discover that they'll make far more money catering to the genres that Nintendo DOESN'T do than throwing the system "cutesy" titles that Nintendo does so well.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Lightning said:
I think that the Wii are going to get the majority of casual games from 3rd parties. There is just no way that Rockstar are going to make the next GTA on the Wii, or Capcom are going to make the next Devil May Cry on the Wii, or Epic are going to make the next Unreal Tournament on the Wii etc....

Wii fans will get their games, but they are not going to get "PS2 level" of support like most fanatic Nintendo fans think it will.
Rockstar would have to seriously despise money to not make an exclusive or remade GTA on the Wii. I think it's as good as done. DMC won't make it of course but Capcom will continue to support the platform.

PapiShasho said:

Does it matter? The Wii is bound to have a FAR bigger userbase than both the PS3/360 combined. Even if the Wii's userbase was dismal(which it ain't), the sheer volume of its userbase alone should crush the 360/PS3 software sales in the long run. It's already doing it in the Japan, starting to in the UK(and FRance and Germany) and especially in the USA.

Have you seen the previous NPDs? USA, the 360's turf(for now) is being crushed by the Wii, considering it has half the userbase and slow months of the year with very dismal and "bad" software like Mario Party 8 and Wii Play.

Third parties won't really have a choice in the next 2 years,e specially when the 360 is already crowded with a limited userbase in one region and no chance in two.

The PS3, well, it's the PS3.

felipeko

PapiShasho said:

How can you be so sure?

We have no great effort from 3rd party yet to show you're right, or wrong.

Great games, with good advertising, always sell. That's what we now.
You just have this stupid stereotype about Wii and Nintendo's Fanbase... It's time to let it go.

And btw, Wii games cost less to make, so that is a good advantage, less risk.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
PapiShasho said:

Wii games don't have to sell as much as 360 games because they are a lot cheaper to make. It's all about the profit margins in the end and if 3rd parties feel they can make more money on Wii then that is the platform they will support simple as that. Wii games are dominating the console charts anyway and 3rd parties want a piece of the pie.

segarr

The Wii is slightly faddish, but the 360 and the PS3 are lock hard in our culture now?

No they are not, and Microsoft/Sony fans DON'T CLAIM IT THEM BE, the way Nintendo fans want to pretend that everyone from soccer moms to presidential candidates to priest are all sitting around the television every night playing Wii.

Why would the well dry up. People state it like it is a fact, but they have no proof. Nothing prior in histroy to base that on.

I am not some fortune teller, everything I say is an opinion of course and if it comes off as fact then please excuse me.

I just don't see the Wii changing culture like this, sorry if this doesn't fit into your own wants and needs, but I believe that gaming is something done mainly by teenage and young adult males, and that it's going to be a long time before this changes. You think that highschool kids are really that interested in the Wii? Dudes coming home from football practice want to come home to sit down in front of the TV and play Mario Party? I am one of those young adult males, in college right now, saw the PS2 completely clean up last gen driven by the sales of people like me, and now I witness these same people scoff at the Wii as though it's some feminem toy. Silly as that may sound, this is the general feeling I get surrounding Wii.

With this said, by "well running dry" I mean that I do not believe that these "it's a family thing" people can sustain a console for an entire generation. Is Martha Stewart really for the Wii? Or is she going to forget about it in 2 years when the fad and excitement is over?

I mean, if this was bound to happen then why is the DS still so successful?

Can't really say, I'm not a handheld gamer, don't follow the market at all. I've never played the DS, and have only slightly messed around with the PSP before.

Haunted

felipeko said:
I have a permanent ban bet on that. :D
It will prove once for all of what is made the Wii userbase.

Untill now we don't know, we are just guessing. But NO GAME HAS UNDERPERFORMED on Wii.
Can't say the same about PS3.
Did a mod even sanction that ban?

Shaheed79 said:
Wii games don't have to sell as much as 360 games because they are a lot cheaper to make. It's all about the profit margins in the end and if 3rd parties feel they can make more money on Wii then that is the platform they will support simple as that. Wii games are dominating the console charts anyway and 3rd parties want a piece of the pie.

Good point, I didn't take into consideration that the games are cheaper to make.

segarr

Shaheed79 said:
Look around you that is exactly what is happening. As long as Nintendo keeps making games like Wii Sports to appeal to that market they will keep buying. You're talking as if Nintendo will never have another hit like that again therefore casual gamers will loose interest.

Ths is exactly what I am questioning.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

It's a videogame system not a tickle me elmo.

Yet, the entire "essense" surrounding it seems all so similar to me.

Jokeropia

soco said:
according to wikipedia, halo 1 sold over 2x as much as SSBM. halo 2, sold about 2 million more.
You've mixed up Halo 1 sales with Halo franchise (Halo 1 + Halo 2) sales. Halo 1 sold ~6 million worldwide, Halo 2 ~8 million.
PapiShasho said:
Nintendo's BIG 3 is what sells on the Wii, and Pokemon, and cute little sim games.
Actually, Wii has much better third party sales than PS3. (Red Steel for example has outsold every PS3 third party game.) 360 still has an advantage since it's been on the market a year longer.
PapiShasho said:
Epic games won't sell on it because if the games are also on 360 and PS3, with considerably better graphics, people will buy it on those systems.
If graphics were important, Wii wouldn't be destroying 360 & PS3 to begin with. I'm not exaggerating when I say "destroying", either:

9724junechart.png

KINGMOKU

PapiShasho said:

WHAT.jpg

WHAT???

felipeko said:
How can you be so sure?

We have no great effort from 3rd party yet to show you're right, or wrong.

Great games, with good advertising, always sell. That's what we now.
You just have this stupid stereotype about Wii and Nintendo's Fanbase... It's time to let it go.

And btw, Wii games cost less to make, so that is a good advantage, less risk.

I don't know, I guess I just used myself as an example. I never think "I can't wait to get Nintendo's new console to play Madden!" or "I gotta get a Wii to play that new Splinter Cell!"...it's always "I'll get a Wii to get my Mario and Zelda fix and then just play every other game on the more powerful consoles".

I don't know man, if Galaxy is coming out this year it won't be long before I get to try one, and if the little remote is all it's cracked up to be, then I'll take everything back, but I don't see this Wii craze lasting.

ksamedi

segarr said:
No they are not, and Microsoft/Sony fans DON'T CLAIM IT THEM BE, the way Nintendo fans want to pretend that everyone from soccer moms to presidential candidates to priest are all sitting around the television every night playing Wii.

I am not some fortune teller, everything I say is an opinion of course and if it comes off as fact then please excuse me.

I just don't see the Wii changing culture like this, sorry if this doesn't fit into your own wants and needs, but I believe that gaming is something done mainly by teenage and young adult males, and that it's going to be a long time before this changes. You think that highschool kids are really that interested in the Wii? Dudes coming home from football practice want to come home to sit down in front of the TV and play Mario Party? I am one of those young adult males, in college right now, saw the PS2 completely clean up last gen driven by the sales of people like me, and now I witness these same people scoff at the Wii as though it's some feminem toy. Silly as that may sound, this is the general feeling I get surrounding Wii.

With this said, by "well running dry" I mean that I do not believe that these "it's a family thing" people can sustain a console for an entire generation. Is Martha Stewart really for the Wii? Or is she going to forget about it in 2 years when the fad and excitement is over?

Can't really say, I'm not a handheld gamer, don't follow the market at all. I've never played the DS, and have only slightly messed around with the PSP before.

Nintendo designed the Wii to change that, they specifically made it cute, small and low noise to expand the market, they make games like Wii sports, Wii play, Wiifit and Wiimusic just because of that. How can you claim they have not succeeded? Its still sold out everywhere in the world, no console has ever done that.

felipeko

PapiShasho said:
I don't know, I guess I just used myself as an example. I never think "I can't wait to get Nintendo's new console to play Madden!" or "I gotta get a Wii to play that new Splinter Cell!"...it's always "I'll get a Wii to get my Mario and Zelda fix and then just play every other game on the more powerful consoles".

I don't know man, if Galaxy is coming out this year it won't be long before I get to try one, and if the little remote is all it's cracked up to be, then I'll take everything back, but I don't see this Wii craze lasting.
Nintendogs/Brain Age/Wii Sports shows that what you're guessing is not what the market is doing.

Banned
segarr said:
I believev that is the case. I don't see any reason why games can't be a part of their lives.

It's justa stereotype that those people dislike games.

segarr said:
The PS2 became great by attracting all areas of the market. Yes teenage boys were the main goal but games like Singstar and DDR became huge hits on the PS2 despite them.

Even with a 100 million console userbase, no single GTA game has hit over 20 million units. Obviously it is more than just teenage boys. if it was just that, then it would have been an xbox.

segarr said:
Why would she forget about it, if something else comes along and excites her. A console is always supported by the software. The Wii is no different.

segarr said:
You should. It has great games.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
PapiShasho said:
Good point, I didn't take into consideration that the games are cheaper to make.
If it wasn't for that I would concede but those are just the facts. I actually WANT 360/PS3 support to each match Wii support because I will own all 3 consoles but Publishers are bean counters. I believe that we will see a better average of quality games on 360/ps3 however.

Shaheed79 said:
I believe that we will see a better average of quality games on 360/ps3 however.
That comes with the territory since alot of the crapware and shovelware will inevitably end up on the Wii like they did on the PS2. I reckon that the Gamecube/XBOX had a higher rating average than the PS2.

KINGMOKU

Jokeropia said:
You've mixed up Halo 1 sales with Halo franchise (Halo 1 + Halo 2) sales. Halo 1 sold ~6 million worldwide, Halo 2 ~8 million.
Actually, Wii has much better third party sales than PS3. (Red Steel for example has outsold every PS3 third party game.) 360 still has an advantage since it's been on the market a year longer.If graphics were important, Wii wouldn't be destroying 360 & PS3 to begin with. I'm not exaggerating when I say "destroying", either:

9724junechart.png
I've made some corrections in your chart for you;

REALISTIC.jpg

The red line indicates where the seperation is. The word "FAD" while seemingly inflamitory, is the truth of it. That portion of the graph, in actual sales, represents the portion of those consoles sold to the "casual" market. The ones who will buy the Wii soley for Wiisports, and perhaps big brain, and never purchase another Wii game. This is what I think others are refering to. You just cannot sustain a console, nor third-parties for that matter on the only portion of those sales, under the red line, that will actually be buying games.

This is very simple to understand.

felipeko said:
You should read this: http://www.erasmatazz.com/library/JCGD_Volume_7/Ga-Ga-Graphics.html
It was writen ~13 years ago, by Chris Crawford (GDC creator).

It may help you to see the market in a new way.

I know this essay link is from yesterday, which is just about paleolithic in internet terms, but I read it and I can't believe someone is using it as support for a "graphics aren't everything" position. The article itself has this to say about games that "involve moving around in a spatial universe" (i.e. any game in 3D!):

"...yes, better graphics are essential for such games."

Edit: Oh, on topic: Wii is going to win by a landslide, even though it ignores the above advice from Chris Crawford, GDC creator.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
titiklabingapat said:
That comes with the territory since alot of the crapware and shovelware will inevitably end up on the Wii like they did on the PS2. I reckon that the Gamecube/XBOX had a higher rating average than the PS2.
Of course and THAT is what most people need to understand. There is very little difference between PS2 and Wii with the markets they targeted and the support they got/will get and a lot a people are still not willing to except this fact.

jrricky

Banned
PapiShasho said:
So, you were just ignorant about the Wii then.

moku said:

REALISTIC.jpg

The red line indicates where the seperation is. The word "FAD" while seemingly inflamitory, is the truth of it. That portion of the graph, in actual sales, represents the portion of those consoles sold to the "casual" market. The ones who will buy the Wii soley for Wiisports, and perhaps big brain, and never purchase another Wii game. This is what I think others are refering to. You just cannot sustain a console, nor third-parties for that matter on the only portion of those sales, under the red line, that will actually be buying games.

I've seen a lot of people predicting that people buying the Wii for Wii Sports won't buy anything else.

I'm wondering how many of those people predicted the demand for Wii Sports in the first place.

It just seems like a lot of people that were obviously clueless as to what the mass market might like in the first place, are now ready to dictate what the mass market will like going forward.

Jokeropia

moku is joking, but just in case anyone takes it seriously I'll point out that those real gamers buying Wiis has to be like 10 times more hardcore than the 360 gamers considering all the software they have to buy to maintain the system's tie-ratio with the rest of the buyers only playing Wii Sports.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
moku said:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/moku111/REALISTIC.jpg[/IMG

The red line indicates where the seperation is. The word "FAD" while seemingly inflamitory, is the truth of it. That portion of the graph, in actual sales, represents the portion of those consoles sold to the "casual" market. The ones who will buy the Wii soley for Wiisports, and perhaps big brain, and never purchase another Wii game. This is what I think others are refering to. You just cannot sustain a console, nor third-parties for that matter on the only portion of those sales, under the red line, that will actually be buying [I]games.[/I]

This is very simple to understand.[/QUOTE]

That is ridiculous. The same people who bought the PS2 are purchasing the Wii and this fact will become very evident in the coming months. What's sad is that because the Wii is made buy Nintendo every 3rd party game that doesn't sell to expectations will be hounded and ridiculed with "I toldcha sos" when the PS2 and a TON of games that underperformed as well. It simple comes with the territory.

segarr

ksamedi said:
Nintendo designed the Wii to change that, they specifically made it cute, small and low noise to expand the market, they make games like Wii sports, Wii play, Wiifit and Wiimusic just because of that. How can you claim they have not succeeded? Its still sold out everywhere in the world, no console has ever done that.

I would suppose that everything you listed is going to keep Wii on top in the Japanese market for certain, but in NA, I don't see this being the cats meow in the way that you do.

I think that much of this new market is eventually going to stop really caring, and once it's not "trendy" for one soccer mom to tell another soccer mom about her new Mario game, Nintendo will be left fighting for the same market that everyone else is fighting over.

Of course though, I could be completely wrong. And videogaming may now officially be apart of pop culture, and we will sooner rather then later start seeing people at bars and nightclubs with Mario shirts on. All I can really say to you is : Time will tell.

pgtl_10

moku said:

REALISTIC.jpg

Doesn't explain PS2 and DS's success.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
How does the OP know that Microsoft is irrelevant in most of Europe? We have only a few scattered reports. 360 could very well be outselling the PS3 in most of Europe.

jrricky

Banned
What I see in this thread is that people think Nintendo is just gonna sit on their ASS and do nothing else after Wiisports, and its quite delusional. Why would Nintendo stop after such a huge success of Wiisports. Nintendo has big BIG plans for the future. Face it, the no software argument for casual is moot. Oh, and has anyone forgotten about ....dun, dun, dun.....WII FIT. Thread (should) ends....
segarr said:
I would suppose that everything you listed is going to keep Wii on top in the Japanese market for certain, but in NA, I don't see this being the cats meow in the way that you do.
OMG, E3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ywap

Let Sony and Nintendo battle in the console world. Microsoft´s money would be better off spent on the pc gaming market.

How much money have microsoft lost in their console project so far?

StevieP

Banned
Ywap said:
Let Sony and Nintendo battle in the console world. Microsoft´s money would be better off spent on the pc gaming market.

How much money have microsoft lost in their console project so far?

5 or 6 billion, I think. That's nothing, though!

ksamedi

jrricky said:
What I see in this thread is that people think Nintendo is just gonna sit on their ASS and do nothing else after Wiisports, and its quite delusional. Why would Nintendo stop after such a huge success of Wiisports. Nintendo has big BIG plans for the future. Face it, the no software argument for casual is moot. Oh, and has anyone forgotten about ....dun, dun, dun.....WII FIT. Thread (should) ends....
You hit the nail there buddy, Nintendo is creating hit after hit these days and there is no sign of stopping. Wiifit is just a molecule compared to what is going to come out for the coming 5 years from Nintendo.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
segarr said:
I was in Game Crazy about a week ago and while I was in there an Army Seargent in his late 20's came in and asked for a Wii. He still had on his military gear so I guess he was on leave. He asked the clerk for a Wii and he said they didn't have any and if he wanted one he had to get there right when the shipment arrived and no telling when that would be. He seemed very inclined to do it so I assumed that his son must really want a Wii. I go to him and ask him if he was getting it for his son and he replied "I don't have any children".

segarr

Shaheed79 said:
I was in Game Crazy about a week ago and while I was in there an Army Seargent in his late 20's came in and asked for a Wii. He still had on his military gear so I guess he was on leave. He asked the clerk for a Wii and he said they didn't have any and if he wanted one he had to get there right when the shipment arrived and no telling when that would be. He seemed very inclined to do it so I assumed that his son must really want a Wii. I go to him and ask him if he was getting it for his son and he replied "I don't have any children".

I would have persuaded him to pick up a used Xbox and get Full Spectrum Warrior....

j/k....:D

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
segarr said:
I would have persuaded him to pick up a used Xbox and get Full Spectrum Warrior....

j/k....:D
I believe he already owned one as he browsed the Xbox section briefly. I should have suggested FSW however.

Phthisis

FitzOfRage said:
I've seen a lot of people predicting that people buying the Wii for Wii Sports won't buy anything else.

Just to throw in some anecdotal evidence (since who doesn't love it!): I was talking to a 29 year old guy last weekend about gaming, and he said his parents bought a Wii just to play Wii Sports, but that they would probably never buy another game for the system again.

If nothing else, there's one sale that will probably never see games bought for the system for the rest of the generation.

Top Bottom