• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can the Dualshock 4 battery life be THIS bad?

Lol what

The battery life sucks but I'd rather use that charging wire than to ever use AA batteries. I do game in front of a desk though, so its just plug and play and doesnt bother me.

I bought 48 batteries for 8$ dollars last Black Friday weekend. I'm still 44 remaining, 2 used, 2 still working on my controller. I change them one in line 2-3 weeks

Edit: 360 controller, can't speak for the One.

jobrro

I'm OK with the battery life considering the features. Might be rare but I appreciate the LED (most of the time), motion, touchpad, improved vibration and headphone support the controller provides. I have two controllers so just switch when binging a game and charge the other. Also like it had a built in battery vs. the Xbone.

The Xbone and Wii U Pro controller blow it away battery life wise. With Eneloops I would say I get maybe 20 to 30 hours out of the Xbone controller vs 6 to 8 on DS4 and about 6-8 with the extended battery Wii U GamePad.

I can understand the frustration people have with the battery life - it should probably be double what it is and then people wouldn't be complaining, but I still think it is a great controller and probably my GOAT (Xbone is a pretty close 2nd).

Do you guys start charging as soon as it reaches one bar?

Like many electronics in my experience, 1 bar is usually like 50% charge, no where near dead. I typically hit 1 bar on my DS4 within 2-3 hours of use but still get at least that much again, if not more, before it actually dies.

Coda

We all seriously need a Wii U Pro Controller to PS4 adapter. We need a company to make one because I'd buy one immediately, wireless or not.

It's no hassle. My batteries are changed every 2 to 3 weeks. When they are about to die I get a warning and I put 2 eneloops in them. Takes about 10 seconds rather than having to make my controller wired after 5 hours.

It's not a huge deal, but to me it's just more hassle than simply plugging in my controller when I go to bed.

I don't play enough in a day to have my controller die on me

Wait until it's a few years old^^
my dual shock 3s started out with okay battery life, but now they barely last 2-3 hours of use, or 4 hours of just being ON while I'm watching some movie or youtube on it.

Raoh

My main issue is I play close so I can just keep a USB plugged in but not sure if it's the port on the controller or the cord itself that eventually shits the bed but it loses connection a lot :(

You can plug it into anything, I keep a usb wall charger plugged in anyway so I can watch movies on my ipad while I play, when I need a quick charge I plug in a micro usb cable to the wall charger. I have a 6' usb extension cable so length isn't an issue.

It sucks but I still prefer it to having to resort to batteries. As long as I can charge it while I play I'm cool until better controllers come out. Nothing worse than having to dig up batteries at three in the morning making noise waking up the wife.

Perhaps it may be a placebo effect, but I found that turning down the brightness of the light bar and setting the controller to switch off after 5 mins of inactivity helped. I found that it improved the battery life for what seemed like an extra or two. Just my opinion..

For some odd reason, the controller remains on by default if you're using a media app like Netflix or Prime Videos. You're not likely to use the controller while watching a movie, so switch it manually to turn off after a min or so.

Qwark

And it doesn't even have to be so bad. I have my DS4 synced to my Playstation TV and the battery lasts way longer than it does on PS4. Something about the PS4, or the features that the developers are using are just killing the battery time.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah, it's freaking terrible. I have 3 controllers as we do 3 player with the kids some times.. but it's such a pain to remember to have all 3 charged so inevitably one of the kids is sitting close to the TV attached to the plug.

AA's aren't expensive at all.. and the amount of AA's you could buy for a the price of a 2nd DS4 would last you years.

I mean it's a 2 second fix on a Xbox controller to swap out the AA's and just keep on going... it's annoying as fuck to have to plug in, or swap controllers.

Derpyduck

Banned
"My Dualshock 4 battery can't possibly be this bad!"

It sucks compared to the PS3 and Xbox controllers but I can still get pretty close to a full day out of it. Just grab a cheap USB extension for like 2-3 bucks and plug it in when it dies, or rotate with a 2nd controller.

I also have no idea why you'd rather go through the hassle of charging/swapping AA batteries instead of plugging in your controller.

I can't believe people still make this ridiculous argument. My AA batteries in my 360 controller last weeks. My lousy DS4 battery doesn't last a day or two of significant gaming. I'll gladly take my Eneloops over having to buy a second controller to correct Sony's cheap decision.

And it doesn't even have to be so bad. I have my DS4 synced to my Playstation TV and the battery lasts way longer than it does on PS4. Something about the PS4, or the features that the developers are using are just killing the battery time.

I believe it's because the PS4 sends audio data to the controller no matter if you have headphones plugged in or not.

LED's don't take much juice. I'm guessing all those rumble motors are doing the most damage.

Your guess is wrong. My roommate opened a DS4 and disconnected the LED.

That DS4 lasts several times longer now.

Worth noting: disconnecting the LED also disconnects the USB connector, so you can't sync the controller to a new system, or charge via that port.

Don't have much of a problem with the battery life of the DS4 but does anyone find that the analog sticks tend to wear away very quickly on the DS4, especially when playing games like Fifa.

Had this happen to two of my DS4 controllers now, really annoying.

slapnuts

Oh its not "that" bad.....i get a good 7 hours of play out of it and i NEVER EVER sit and game for 7-8 hours EVER. Maybe it's bad for hardcore binge gamers but for the average gamer its totally fine imho.

RedAssedApe

Banned
yep...this is why the $25-30 DS4 pricematch last month was a must do deal

Worth noting: disconnecting the LED also disconnects the USB connector, so you can't sync the controller to a new system, or charge via that port.

not that i don't believe you but iirc this goes against testing by other gaffers

Duxxy3

Oh its not "that" bad.....i get a good 7 hours of play out of it and i NEVER EVER sit and game for 7-8 hours EVER. Maybe it's bad for hardcore binge gamers but for the average gamer its totally fine imho.

Unless you're one of those many people who don't remember to plug in something after using it. If you're the forgetful type, it might as well be a permanently wired controller.

Ramirez

Unrelated, but I didn't want to make a new thread or bump an old one. Sony CS just refused to repair the rubber sticks because it wasn't under warranty. I know legally it's fine, but damn if it doesn't feel like some bullshit to have a spare $60 controller be in worse shape than your launch controller with not even half the play time in it. The launch one is peeling, but the spare is basically rubbed off completely.

I bought some grips to put over them, see how I like that. I refuse to buy another controller, as this is obviously a build issue, a wide spread issue at that, and it's never happened with any other controller I've owned. If it weren't for Naughty Dog, I'd unload this thing right now.

Duxxy3

Unrelated, but I didn't want to make a new thread or bump an old one. Sony CS just refused to repair the rubber sticks because it wasn't under warranty. I know legally it's fine, but damn if it doesn't feel like some bullshit to have a spare $60 controller be in worse shape than your launch controller with not even half the play time in it. The launch one is peeling, but the spare is basically rubbed off completely.

I bought some grips to put over them, see how I like that. I refuse to buy another controller, as this is obviously a build issue, a wide spread issue at that, and it's never happened with any other controller I've owned. If it weren't for Naughty Dog, I'd unload this thing right now.

If you're the adventurous type you could replace the worn analogs. The biggest concern with that is popping off the triggers (and losing the spring) or screwing up the ribbon inside.

Ramirez

If you're the adventurous type you could replace the worn analogs. The biggest concern with that is popping off the triggers (and losing the spring) or screwing up the ribbon inside.

I already popped the spring on one of them trying to fix the shoulder buttons. This was before I knew you could pop them off with a butter knife. These controllers have been nothing but trouble, pretty frustrating considering how well I take care of my shit.

modsbox

http://www.adafruit.com/product/2011

$12.50 and it doubles your battery life

Tho you will need swap the wires around on the battery so the positive and negative match up properly

I think I'm going to try this. I bought some "2000 mah" ds4 batteries on ebay and they barely lasted longer. These look like legit 2000 mah lipo batteries, so they will actually double battery life.

Did you happen to test them before and after? Or is it clear just based on experience that they last way longer now. Happy to swap the + & - on the connectors just want to be sure it actually helped.

Other item I'd add to this conversation is that the OEM sony DS4 charging dock (not available in the US, I got mine from play-asia) works awesome and uses the proprietary connector on the bottom versus the fragile micro usb up top. I've been rocking the swap controllers approach for a while now and it works great, but still wish they would individually last longer.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i'd replace the battery but the last time i did it on my ps3 i lost one of those springs on the triggers lol

i'm also paranoid about buying third party chinese batteries. they tend to have mixed reviews in terms of how long they last.

i hope sony just stops being cheap and include batteries with larger capacities. they are already making bank on these damn accessories.

EDarkness

I don't know how you guys get your Dual Shock 4 to last 6 hours. Mine will only go 3 or 4 tops. It's for this reason I hardly ever use it when it's not plugged in. I tried to use it for playing FF14, but it doesn't last long enough for an average play session. So I just switched to keyboard and mouse. The battery on the DS4 is pretty bad in my opinion.

Nosgotham

Yeah I was getting 3-4 hours when I sold my ps4. I can understand the wiiu pad with a full screen getting poor battery life but DS4 is crazy.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
How is the Bone's battery life when outputting audio from it with that adapter? It's gotta be either that or the touchpad that makes it so bad.

Allforce

Anectdotal but I think I've gotten one of my DualShock4 controllers down to 1 bar on maybe 2 occasions since the PS4 launched.

I literally turn my PS4 on as I start work every day and play off and on throughout my shift. The controller has the LED setting at the lowest brightness and auto-shut off at 10 minutes of idle. I'd say in an 8 hour shift at work the controller is on at least 5-6 hours total. And when I go to drop it in the charger at the end of work I always have 2 bars left.

I just keep one of those Energizer charging stations in my office for both XBO and PS4. When they're not in use they go on the cradle. Never had an issue with the battery running out on the DS4, and if I did ever run it down to nothing I'd just swap it with the fresh one and carry on.

I think the issue just might be unrealistic expectations and marathon gaming sessions. I imagine if you're playing 10-12 hours STRAIGHT then you're going to be running into battery issues but the vast majority of users will never ever run into a problem.

I don't play every night but when I do it's from 8 to 12. Without fail a fully charged DS4 goes down to one bar by midnight.

I rotate controllers so always have a fresh battery. Two DS4s from January. One white, one black.

Worst wireless experience I've ever had. Think about it every time I use them meanwhile on xbox one or 360 and ps3 I never think about charging anything.

Oppo

I have 2. it's no trouble.

but if Sony was smart they'd make an AA backpack accessory for the DS4 and make everyone happy.

honestly I think a 3-4 h charge is reasonable but clearly I am in the minority.

I love the people in this thread that say some variant of "mine works fine, there's really no problem".

It's great that your controllers are working properly, but not everyone is that fortunate. My controller will straight up die between three and a half and five hours, depending on how much stuff is going on with the controller. Playing GTA with the lights changing and motors rumbling and stuff coming out of the speaker, I've seen it empty completely in less than four hours. If it dies while I'm playing, I typically just take it as a sign to do something else for a while, because running a USB from it to the chair is far from ideal in the space where I play games.

neoism

with a little over 5 bones you can have infinite battery

I for one get about 4-6.5 hours and its enough and if its not, I just plug it in. I just dont get the bitching about this.... I'd much rather have a battery in the controller that doesn't last that long but can be charged than have to fuck with AA batteries. I wasted soooo much money with the 360 pad over the years until I got one with a cord for my PC I still use...

DarkKyo

"My Dualshock 4 battery can't possibly be this bad!"

It sucks compared to the PS3 and Xbox controllers but I can still get pretty close to a full day out of it. Just grab a cheap USB extension for like 2-3 bucks and plug it in when it dies, or rotate with a 2nd controller.
I got a 12 foot USB cord just for this reason.

Chibot

Even with the light dimmed and headphones in, both of my DS4s rarely last longer than 4 hours. It seems like I get more playtime out of my Gamepad.

not that i don't believe you but iirc this goes against testing by other gaffers

Don't know what to tell you other than I believe him over them. He upgraded the HDD on his PS4 a few weeks ago, and had to open the DS4 back up and reconnect it so he could sync with the system again - twice (he decided not to keep the solid state drive he tested in there). He says it was still worth all that trouble for the battery life.

I just live with it. The brightness of the thing was a bigger issue for me, and I just bought stickers to put over the light.

jfoul

I get around 4-5 hours max with the sensor bar turned all the way down, and the speaker turned off. With this controller having a touchpad, speaker and sensor bar, the built in battery should have been 2000mAh, instead of 1000mAh.

The Wii U Pro controller lasts a really long time, but it's a simple controller. The Xbox One controller will last a long time depending on the rechargeable battery that you use. I use Sanyo Eneloop, so the controller lasts a very long time for me.

Kagami

It's not a huge deal, but to me it's just more hassle than simply plugging in my controller when I go to bed.

I don't play enough in a day to have my controller die on me

Ideally a controller should charge its own AA's when plugged in, like my mouse (G700) does, so you can do either as you please.
Unfortunately the Xbone controller doesn't do that.

adelante

I for one get about 4-6.5 hours and its enough and if its not, I just plug it in. I just dont get the bitching about this.... I'd much rather have a battery in the controller that doesn't last that long but can be charged than have to fuck with AA batteries. I wasted soooo much money with the 360 pad over the years until I got one with a cord for my PC I still use...

You must have not heard of great rechargeable batteries like Eneloops then.

Pretty sure I get around 6 hours with one charge, not too bad. But the console is beside me most of the time so I could always use the USB cable anyway.

Hermii

Its so stupid that you actually have to do this to turn of the light.

Fjolle

Please... Show the results.. You can turn off the leds completely when connecting to a PC, and it doesn't change much. Also some dude did the same thing around when it came out, and didn't get THAT much of a difference, even though he didn't use the controller so he only tested the idle power use, where the LEDs power usage should be a bigger percentage than with actual usage.

It sucks and it's wierd. The LED is part of the cause, but it doesn't seem to be the main cause.
Maybe it's the stupid trackpad.
It gets even worse if you use a headset connected to the controller.

The DS4 is the best controller I've used with the exception of battery life (and the superfluous trackpad).
Having yet another device that hogs my USB chargers overnight next to the family's phones and tablets is only a minor issue, but it's still needlessly annyoing.

I miss the 360 controller that would last weeks on a pair of rechargeable AAs. And if it did run out, you spent maybe 30 seconds switching the batteries, rather than having to fiddle around with USB cables trailing all over the living room.
I am a little worried about battery degradation too. I hope I don't need to buy new controllers every couple of years because the battery has crapped out. Especially since the useless trackpad makes them crazy expensive and cuts out any 3rd party competition.

Top Bottom