• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can the Dualshock 4 battery life be THIS bad?

co1onel

I can't believe people still make this ridiculous argument. My AA batteries in my 360 controller last weeks. My lousy DS4 battery doesn't last a day or two of significant gaming. I'll gladly take my Eneloops over having to buy a second controller to correct Sony's cheap decision.

My xbox 360 controllers always drain battery like crazy while not even on for some reason. If I go a few weeks without playing it and come back its already dead and I have to replace them. A few weeks is fine for me if I'm using it regularly, but not when I only used it once. All my 360 controllers do this too.

Bio

I think it might be more the touch pad than anything. Maybe I am crazy, but I feel like when I am playing on my Playstation TV without turning any touchpad thing on, the controller lasts a very long time. Is there any way to turn the touchpad off when playing on PS4 to test this, or does anyone have a PS4 and a Playstation TV? All I got is the PSTV so I can't compare.

Is it just more preferable to buy a used DS3 and use its battery instead? Seems like there is no general consensus other than batteries from the DS3 (not bought for) is the better solution.

I don't want that external battery tbh. I'd rather just destroy a few used DS3s for the betterment of gaming.

Ramza

Banned
Is it just more preferable to buy a used DS3 and use its battery instead? Seems like there is no general consensus other than batteries from the DS3 (not bought for) is the better solution.

I don't want that external battery tbh. I'd rather just destroy a few used DS3s for the betterment of gaming.

Don't bother buying a whole DS3. That's a waste. Just buy an extended battery for a DS3. I did and put it in my DS4 and it works fine

This is the one I bought. Almost twice the capacity of the DS4 battery

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I8II22/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I know I'm VLTTP on this but I've done more gaming on my PS4 recently and have just now realized just how damn pathetic the Dualshock 4 battery life is. I would take swapping and charging AA batteries any day over this abomination that Sony produced. I hope they make the Dualshock 4+ or something, because I just can't see myself constantly charging controllers this much for he rest of the gen. It doesn't help that the Sony-made charging station for Dualshock 4's is quite literally the Move charging station reboxed with some additional adapters. As great as the ps4 is they really half assed the controllers.

I get on average jsut about 6 hours before I need to charge, which in most situations should be enough. If it isn't then then go to my other controller. I can't believe so many people only have one controller! If you have two then it's a non issue.

After a continued effort to find the best fit with batteries I found this guy who made some suggestions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2rtimv/diy_double_dualshock_4_battery_capacity_internal/

After using 2 Amazon batteries and an eBay battery I knew they were all a scam. None of them lived up to their specs and after opening them they were just the 700 mah variety.

I did this guy's mod and can vouch that finally I have effectively doubled the Dualshock battery life.

Before this mod I was using 2 of these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JKARP8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I will likely still use them if needed. The Dualshock 4 is was also modded with X1 sticks but they kept grinding/rubbing and after trying 4 different sellers I gave up and ordered these.

http://battlebeavercustoms.com/collections/ps4/products/ps4-domed-style-replacement-thumbsticks

They give the same range of motion as the X1 sticks and after adjusting I like them better than the X1 and definitely better than the crap standard ones. The base of the sticks are a perfect fit and feel like they are stock. The X1 sticks had a slight narrower base letting you peer into the controller if moved all the way left or right.

I just want to ensure everyone knows about the battery issue and almost all of them being bogus.

I get on average jsut about 6 hours before I need to charge, which in most situations should be enough. If it isn't then then go to my other controller. I can't believe so many people only have one controller! If you have two then it's a non issue.

I have two controllers. The fact that I need two for extended gaming sessions is shameful by its own right.

Does anyone know if lowering the brightness on the DS4 light makes a significant difference?

It's only an hour or so if set to dim to the best of my knowledge. The largest battery drain is the rumble function.

The DS4 uses 2 motors and iirc they are stronger than the one in the DS3.

"My Dualshock 4 battery can't possibly be this bad!"

It sucks compared to the PS3 and Xbox controllers but I can still get pretty close to a full day out of it. Just grab a cheap USB extension for like 2-3 bucks and plug it in when it dies, or rotate with a 2nd controller.

I also have no idea why you'd rather go through the hassle of charging/swapping AA batteries instead of plugging in your controller.

Because I would only have to bother with rechargeable batteries about once every 2-3 weeks.

Shahed

Oh yeah the battery life is god awful. I remember when I went back to the PS3 for Kingdom Hearts and I was so pleasantly reminded how as to how long the battery should last

DryvBy

I played on my PS3 this weekend and forgot how good the battery was in that thing. 2 days of solid gameplay and was still a full bar of battery.

Hugstable

Banned
Why can't we just shut off the lightbar? I mean it's main use is supposed to be for Morpheus? Why can't we shut it off normally then? I feel with this, the R2 sticking and Sticks issue, we might be seeing a controller revision sometime soon.

Kosma

Banned
As much as I love my PS4 the DS4 battery and that stupid light are pretty lame.

Controller itself is the best Playstation controller though.

I'm bumping this thread for an only somewhat related reason, so apologies. My DS4 is having issues charging. When plugged in, either to the PS4 (either while fully on or in rest mode) or to a wall outlet through a USB adapter, it charges for some time (in tests it's been anywhere from 15 seconds to nearly 5 minutes), but at some point the light bar goes from pulsing gold to completely off, and if connected to the PS4 the battery icon in the PS4's menus completely disappears. There's just no battery icon at that point, not even an empty one, it's just gone; there's nothing next to the controller icon in the menus.

Once that happens, the only way to get it to charge consistently from any source is resetting it with that button on the bottom of the controller. It will sometimes charge from an outlet without resetting, but not always, and it won't charge from the PS4 at all until it (the controller) is reset. Also, when plugged into an outlet the light bar will sometimes pulse red instead of gold. However, if I disconnect the micro USB port the light bar will turn gold momentarily as it's disconnected, and when reconnected it will pulse gold.

I've noticed that the micro USB port itself in the controller is able to move around a little in the controller's body, and if I press it upward and hold it the battery meter will reappear in the menu screens, as if the charging cable had been disconnected. Is this a sign of a faulty connection between the port and the controller's motherboard? Has anyone else experienced these problems? The controller charged long enough to be fully charged once using an outlet, but that seemed to be a fluke. The battery never dies as long as it's plugged into something, but it's effectively a wired controller thanks to these problems. I'd really appreciate some help.

The battery on these controllers fucking suck. I'm rarely getting time to play these days and when I do, I'm running through two controllers sometimes.

They need to be an auto 5 minute shutdown too, considering how ridiculous the battery on these toys are.

I wish the accessories they sell bump the battery up rather than the stock it was designed to.

/end of rant.

Coda

Starting using my Wii U Pro controller on my PS4 using the TitanOne. Never looking back unless a game requires the touchpad.

Vashetti

Banned
The battery on these controllers fucking suck. I'm rarely getting time to play these days and when I do, I'm running through two controllers sometimes.

They need to be an auto 5 minute shutdown too, considering how ridiculous the battery on these toys are.

I wish the accessories they sell bump the battery up rather than the stock it was designed to.

/end of rant.

You can set it to 10 minutes if that's any consolation. I would appreciate a 5-minute setting though.

It's because the DS4 has a battery with less capacity than DS3 and more power-draining features. I've replaced the batteries in mine with higher capacity ones off Ebay. Works fine so far.

If you're draining a full battery in one play session you really need to think about how do you have so much time to dedicate in 1 sitting. I've never ran out of battery.. For me it last at least 6 to 8 hours. I've noticed it not as good as dual shock 3 but not enough that it hinders my play time

Gestault

I don't like the battery life, but I've taken to using the USB charge cable whenever I'm in a longer session. More annoyance than disruption. I've found it trickier when I'm trying to do local multi-player and more than one of the controllers are dead. Being able to swap out Eneloops has sort of spoiled me a bit.

The End

I've done what a lot of people do

1) don't run the sound through the controller port, it drains battery like crazy

2) have a second controller, swap when one dies

I bought a second controller just so I can play while the other one is charging. I realize that this may have been exactly what Sony wanted.

Maggots

Banned
2015-04-09.png

Philtastic

If you're draining a full battery in one play session you really need to think about how do you have so much time to dedicate in 1 sitting. I've never ran out of battery.. For me it last at least 6 to 8 hours. I've noticed it not as good as dual shock 3 but not enough that it hinders my play time
I agree with this. I don't have a PS4 but I recently got a Dualshock 4 for my PC, and it easily lasts 8 hours with full lightbar and <10 ms latency. That's about 3-4 days of game time for me and then I just charge it while I'm not playing.

pants

Sorry for the bump but this is the most recent thread i could find.

My PS4 joypad refuses to charge now so I have to play with the USB cable in, anything I can do to fix this?

Tainted

Sorry for the bump but this is the most recent thread i could find.

My PS4 joypad refuses to charge now so I have to play with the USB cable in, anything I can do to fix this?

Buy a replacement battery for it....they are very easy to replace.

Right now it lasts me 3/4 days mid week, maybe daily recharges on weekends if I am watching stuff on the console..

I'm considering placing a power strip with an USB charger on a side of the couch, just for the DS4. Most days I'd have to leave the cable hanging from side to side of the living room, being too lazy to store it back after charging because I knew I'd be using it again soon.

Not to mention a game where you can't pause (or that it won't pause after the gamepad running out of battery and disconnecting). The charging cable was always on the ready when playing Destiny.

dalin80

Banned
My battery life seems to be getting better as time goes on, maybe because of the warmer weather? During christmas-new years I was getting 4/5 hours now it's reliably hitting 6/7.

It doesn't take very long to charge either so plugging it in during a mid session food break stops all concerns.

Boglin

I've modded 5 controllers now with bigger batteries and have amazing battery life. I have two 3.7v 1200mah batteries sized at 053759, it's the largest size I can stack two of and still fit inside the controller, and I run them in parallel for a total of 2400mah. It's crazy how much usability it adds to the controller and I seem to be getting over 20 hours of play time now.
I appreciate the additional weight too as it makes makes the controller feel more substantial...although the aluminum thumbsticks I added may attribute to that a tid bit too.

Before I did my mod I followed a lot of the advice I see online that recommends a PS3 extended battery swap for an increase. I was not successful in the slightest with 4 different batteries from different manufactures I tried. All of these batteries I tried advertised as 1800mah ended up weighing in around 25 percent less than the stock 1000mah DS4 battery. When testing them, the batteries lasted about as long as predicted and my DS4's battery lasted about 6 hours, down from my usual 8.

I tried two of the batteries over a month to see if it would improve because some people have reported their new batteries had some break in period but I did not notice any change. I would not recommend using a DS3 extended battery given my experience with the four that I tested did not even come close to their advertised 1800mah and my guess is they are in truth between 700mah-800mah

Top Bottom