• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can White people (EU+US) try to heal the wounds inflicted upon Black people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
they can complain about racism that happens today, thats an obvious given, but to me it seems like you are letting people complain about others that had nothing to do with a lot of the racism in the past. that just sounds highly unreasonable(sorry if thats not what you meant)

I just think, we have to recognize the fact that an entire people were pretty much cut out of the middle class/economy for decades. Most people today in the middle class, had family of immigrants that had to work there way up to the middle class over generations. Segregation and institutionalized racism pretty much cut out an entire people from doing this. So even if theoretically most racism was over (which it isn't), EVEN then, you would have lingering effects that would impact people greatly.

I suppose that was my point. I'm not trying to shift blame to anyone, or saying all white people should feel guilty or responsible for the past. But I think there needs to be empathy and some perspective on racial issues.

Ikael

Reparations: Morally doable, yet Impossible to carry out on a practical ground. The time window for such a measure to work has passed time ago, unfortunately. Justice can only be applied into the living. I doubt that there are many living survivors of the European colonial system or the American slave trade.

Affirmative Action specifically targeting Black people. Proven as uneffective.

Higher taxes of rich and wealthy people, most notably White ones. Agreed, but do not apply a tax levy on a racial basis, even if taxing the rich means a de facto tax into whites, or else you are creating a horrible legal precedent.

Media emphasis on African-American culture and values. I think that it will be ineffective, but it's worth trying. It is already happening too, albeit on an organic basis.

Incentives for media diversity and news reporting. See above.

Watch dogs of the people in power. Good, but as far as I know, this is already enacted (heh).

Education & awareness for White people to learn about racism, privilege, and the tools on how to deal with passive, institutional and systemic racism. Seems too vague to me to either support or oppose it.

A complete reform or overhaul of the police, courts, and prisons. I honestly belive that the US prision system is by far the biggest hurdle to black progress in that country, bar none. Everything is small potatoes compared to that. European prision systems are more lenient, but police also applies "racial profiling", which ought to change.

Public apology and confirmation and reparations of past atrocities by the nations involved in the slave trade. Better late than never, I guess. But I think that you are refearing to trans-atlantic slave trade, for "regular", non-racial slavery have happend in almost every single culture on Earth at some point in history.

Secession or self-rule by African-Americans à la Native Americans? Godawful solution. Ethno-nationalism has never brought anything good to anyone, ever. The whole "let's give a nation to Afro-Americans" was already applied, with disastrous results (Liberia). Self-rule didn't brought too much prosperity for Native Americans either, even if it was the right thing to do. It's more a gesture than a practical solution.

devilhawk

I think fixing the infrastructure of the inner city and the educational opportunities of the inner city would go a long way to help fixing the problem. Houses, apartment complexes, etc are so run down that its a wonder that any one can live there let alone entire families and just having better schools with proper tools to educate minorities would do a world of difference.
Many, many cities are doing just that. Just doesn't normally work the way most want it to.

Abounder

Banned
Match the billions in reparation paid to Native Americans. Match the billions that are given in foreign aid to Israel. Eventually turn this into universal health/mental care along with universal income for all citizens. USA needs to diversify from its military/prison deals and start investing more into their own citizens.

.GqueB.

Banned
Which ones are you talking about here?
Even as a black man I'm a bit iffy on affirmative action. I feel like it's a rather old solution which doesn't feel all that genuine. If people already have issue with affirmative action, imagine reparations. Then you have the taxing of the rich which will affect whites and blacks alike so I don't see how that would accomplish anything. Plus people love money. Taking more of it can further drive classes apart and create issues.

Media incentives are along the same lines as affirmative action to me where there's something not so genuine about it.

I understand that a couple of decades ago we had to force the issue but now there is so much empathy and understanding out there. I feel like forcing the issue again could do more harm than good in some cases.

Opiate

I'm not sure there's any real way. Blacks are among the most persecuted minorities in history (they're at least in the running), and in most cases like this there isn't any real way to adequately repair the damage. That isn't to say we shouldn't try, of course.

One of the big expectations in the next 50 years is that Africa will increase population by 3 Billion people.

We could probably help out with that.

For helping people inside the US I feel like time will sort that out, its another waiting for baby boomers to die situation, just might take a few more generations.

Exactly how could we help Africa! The corruption there is deep rooted and in my opinion will never improve.

gogosox82

That's basically how I feel. I have absolutely *nothing* to do with any past(or current) bigotry from other white people. I don't like being lumped in with them just because of the color of my skin. It seems to me it perpetuates this 'skin color defines you' mentality that is at the heart of racism and prejudice of all kinds(in terms of people pre-judging somebody based on some singular attribute of theirs, be it sex, race, nationality, whatever).

I don't feel that 'white people' should be held responsible for healing racism against blacks. Racism is not exclusive to white people and blacks are not the only people ever victimized by prejudice. This is a society problem. We ALL need to learn to be tolerant and we need to learn about prejudice and how to stamp it out. Nothing will be fixed overnight, but I do feel that as generations pass, things will improve. Dramatically. It sucks to say, but sometimes it takes a generation to die off so we can truly move on and eradicate 'localized' sources of prejudice.

I think this was touched on in the op, but its not about anyone feeling "guilty" about being white or placing blame on any one group of people necessarily. The reality is it was Europeans who started the slave trading of Africans and it was whites who enacted the Jim Crow laws, the drug war policies, and for profit prisons. No one is saying that every white person is responsible for what happened several hundred years ago, but you do have the power to something about it today. For example, you could fight against the drug war policy of the government since it disproportionately biased against blacks and doesn't solve anything it was supposed to solve (unless it was just supposed throw more people in jail to feed the prison industrial complex). Also like many others have said, just being empathetic and not saying "I'M NOT RACIST! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!!!" can help quite a bit.

As a white man... I have no guilt what so ever. Why should I feel guilty for something I had no control over? You can't change history , you can only learn from it. In time ... Our society will learn to accept each other as people and not by our skin color.

I know this sounds mean ... But it's the truth.

Liseda

I don't really have any guilt, I don't really know the history of slavery in Sweden either so I can't be really sure about that.

It's pretty sad when clueless Europeans boast how "racism" isn't as common compared to USA, it's completely wrong. Just look at rising of extremist right-wing parties, it's pretty scary.
Romani(?) people gets fucked over in most European countries.

gogosox82

Many, many cities are doing just that. Just doesn't normally work the way most want it to.

That's fair enough, but I guess I see it from my own experience. In my local area, they get approved to beatify the city, but instead of fixing the delapaded houses or shitty roads, they build a new walmart or some apartment complexes out in the suburbs. It gets kind of infuriating honestly, its like that part of the city doesn't even exists to these people.

RedSwirl

I'm a believer in forced integration of communities. (Maybe something like quotas for races, kind of like they do for money in some places,I think?)

I think that would address things like police occupation of communities (I don't think you could do that without significant blowback if you do that to the majority)

I think that also somewhat addresses the race disparity in education.

While not to this extreme, more and more I've started to think doing something about housing might be a great start. Why? Because over time it might help solve the empathy issue, the lack of which is one of the main roots of the whole problem.

Basically, if more white people and minorities live and work next to each other, they might begin to understand each other better. A common defense of white people is that they have one black friend. What if more white people simply had more black friends, or actually interacted with groups of black people on a regular basis? And generally, with greater understanding of a group of people comes greater empathy for them.

A while ago someone in OT remarked that they perceived empathy and understanding of LGBT people in America was moving along more quickly than race relations. A big reason that came up was because any person in any position of power can have a gay friend or relative, but white people in positions of power are much less likely to live and work near black people.

I personally have no idea what you would do about housing. And unfortunately part of the housing issue stems from lack of empathy. That's kind of a chicken-and-egg problem.. But if you could do it I think it might really help with one of the root causes of racism.

DiscoJer

I think this was touched on in the op, but its not about anyone feeling "guilty" about being white or placing blame on any one group of people necessarily. The reality is it was Europeans who started the slave trading of Africans and it was whites who enacted the Jim Crow laws, the drug war policies, and for profit prisons.

And yet it was also whites that largely ended slavery in the US via the Civil War, which cost hundreds of thousands of lives.

My great-grandfather did two tours for the union in the Civil War.

And no country did more than Britain to stamp out slavery. They had their naval fleet stop and board slave ships, freeing the slaves.

In contrast, look at the number of countries that didn't ban slavery until the 20th century. None of them are Western countries - either African, Middle Eastern, or Asian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline#1900.E2.80.93present

I don't really have any guilt, I don't really know the history of slavery in Sweden either so I can't be really sure about that.

It's pretty sad when clueless Europeans boast how "racism" isn't as common compared to USA, it's completely wrong. Just look at rising of extremist right-wing parties, it's pretty scary.
Romani(?) people gets fucked over in most European countries.

Well, your ancestors raided and enslaved my Irish ancestors for hundreds of years. And then your ancestors, the Normans (Vikings who settled in France), invaded all of England and turned the native population into serfs, which is a form of slavery.

zoku88

People today can choose to live in a diverse or homogenous place, and plenty are choosing diverse. You try and force that kind of thing and you're gonna get significant blowback alright...

Have you actually looked at current segragation? It's pretty huge. It's not about people wanting to live in more diverse places. Many people CAN'T choose to live in more diverse places (who would 'choose' to live in a non-diverse, neighborhood hounded by police?)

While not to this extreme, more and more I've started to think doing something about housing might be a great start. Why? Because over time it might help solve the empathy issue, the lack of which is one of the main roots of the whole problem.

Basically, if more white people and minorities live and work next to each other, they might begin to understand each other better. A common defense of white people is that they have one black friend. What if more white people simply had more black friends, or actually interacted with groups of black people on a regular basis? And generally, with greater understanding of a group of people comes greater empathy for them.

A while ago someone in OT remarked that they perceived empathy and understanding of LGBT people in America was moving along more quickly than race relations. A big reason that came up was because any person in any position of power can have a gay friend or relative, but white people in positions of power are much less likely to live and work near black people.

Ignoring the comparison between race relations and LBGT relations velocities(because I'm black and not gay, I wouldn't trust myself to make a fair judgment either way), I pretty much agree with this. I think a major problem is the lack of exposure to minorities. I'm sure we've all seen stories of 'black person talks to a KKK member and the KKK member decides that black people are actually alright.'

I personally have no idea what you would do about housing. And unfortunately part of the housing issue stems from lack of empathy. That's kind of a chicken-and-egg problem.. But if you could do it I think it might really help with one of the root causes of racism.

Some cities are trying to manipulate zoning and development in order to mix rich and poor people. (I believe di Blasio ran with that as part of his platform. I forget what you call it though.)

And yet it was also whites that largely ended slavery in the US via the Civil War, which cost hundreds of thousands of lives..

The civil war wasn't fought to end slavery. It was to end the southern rebellion. The ending slavery was just a punishment for the South. Even if it wasn't, giving credit to them for ending slavery is somewhat like giving credit to a serial murder deciding to stop murdering people.

Valhelm

contribute something
Using the Chinese is fairly bad, they aren't 'affected' by it, they are now racist as well. The Han Chinese pretty much run China and do a pretty good job of keeping the rest of the country 'down'.

...Exactly. In contrast to Black people, their historic de jure oppression does not have a lasting impact.

gogosox82

And yet it was also whites that largely ended slavery in the US via the Civil War, which cost hundreds of thousands of lives.

My great-grandfather did two tours for the union in the Civil War.

And no country did more than Britain to stamp out slavery. They had their naval fleet stop and board slave ships, freeing the slaves.

In contrast, look at the number of countries that didn't ban slavery until the 20th century. None of them are Western countries - either African, Middle Eastern, or Asian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline#1900.E2.80.93present

And how does any of that dispute anything I wrote? Also, I've said a couple of times now in this thread that whites have to be a part of the solution to this in some way just like they were with ending of slavery and jim crow laws( the last part I never actually said, but was implied in statements I made).

Edit: Should also add the civil war wasn't about slavery necessarily. It was partly about slavery, but mostly about ending the south's rebellion against the north. The south tried to seceded from the union and the north declared war on them. It didn't really become about slavery until 1863 with the emancipation proclamation, which was more of a move to get the Europeans (most noticeably UK and France) to help the north. Seeing how almost nothing was done to guarantee the freedom of blacks until 100 years later proves this.

Valhelm

contribute something
It really won't.

I have to disagree with you here. If the majority of people in 200 years identify as mixed race, there will be far less of the "us versus them" mentality. You're much more willing to empathize with a culture if your grandfather is one of them.

This is totally anecdotal, but the most outspoken anti-racist I knew in high school was a mixed race white girl. She was from a well-off family and had blonde hair, but because her mom was Black she had a connection to Black culture and a much deeper understanding of problems endured by the community than other white people had.

Infinite

Even as a black man I'm a bit iffy on affirmative action. I feel like it's a rather old solution which doesn't feel all that genuine. If people already have issue with affirmative action, imagine reparations. Then you have the taxing of the rich which will affect whites and blacks alike so I don't see how that would accomplish anything. Plus people love money. Taking more of it can further drive classes apart and create issues.

Media incentives are along the same lines as affirmative action to me where there's something not so genuine about it.

I understand that a couple of decades ago we had to force the issue but now there is so much empathy and understanding out there. I feel like forcing the issue again could do more harm than good in some cases.

I don't really disagree here. Affirmative action regardless as to how it makes people feel, is nothing more than a bandaid. but I'll take what I can get.

tass0

Banned
As a white man... I have no guilt what so ever. Why should I feel guilty for something I had no control over? You can't change history , you can only learn from it. In time ... Our society will learn to accept each other as people and not by our skin color.

Doesn't sound mean to me, why should I feel bad at all.

I'm a white boy of Greek descent.

Jarate

Banned
And how does any of that dispute anything I wrote? Also, I've said a couple of times now in this thread that whites have to be a part of the solution to this in some way just like they were with ending of slavery and jim crow laws( the last part I never actually said, but was implied in statements I made).

Edit: Should also add the civil war wasn't about slavery necessarily. It was partly about slavery, but mostly about ending the south's rebellion against the north. The south tried to seceded from the union and the north declared war on them. It didn't really become about slavery until 1863 with the emancipation proclamation, which was more of a move to get the Europeans (most noticeably UK and France) to help the north. Seeing how almost nothing was done to guarantee the freedom of blacks until 100 years later proves this.

No it was basically about Slavery. Most of the issues that led to the Civil War were about Slavery. Also, the Jim Crow laws and such were most likely going to be destroyed by Lincoln if he was still alive. Lincoln could've avoided a lot of the issues that snowballed during that time period.

Also, this is an issue I feel that rich people should handle, not just white people. We have plenty of money that isn't getting to our poor, with education being the primary way to keep people down in their social bubble. There are so many poor schools out there, especially in Inner Cities, that need funding.

zoku88

No it was basically about Slavery. Most of the issues that led to the Civil War were about Slavery. Also, the Jim Crow laws and such were most likely going to be destroyed by Lincoln if he was still alive. Lincoln could've avoided a lot of the issues that snowballed during that time period.

Also, this is an issue I feel that rich people should handle, not just white people. We have plenty of money that isn't getting to our poor, with education being the primary way to keep people down in their social bubble. There are so many poor schools out there, especially in Inner Cities, that need funding.

The South rebelled because they were afraid of slavery ending. The North didn't war with the South to end slavery, but to end the rebellion. The Emacipation Proclomation only ended slavery in the rebelling states AND was made years after the war started. Ending slavery was just not a wargoal until way after the war started.

FStop7

Banned

This is rhetoric typically spouted by Confederate apologists. The south tried to secede because of slavery. And the south fired the first shot. They arrogantly believed the north wouldn't go to war over slaves. They were wrong.

Jarate

Banned
The South rebelled because they were afraid of slavery ending. The North didn't war with the South to end slavery, but to end the rebellion. The Emacipation Proclomation only ended slavery in the rebelling states AND was made years after the war started. Ending slavery was just not a wargoal until way after the war started.

It was still a war goal for many northerners at the time. The main reason to fight for the north was to push the south back in, but the slavery issue practically caused the war, and was the reason why the south was fighting to be independent. There's a reason the Emancipation Proclamation was made, Lincoln was against slavery, and wanted to end it. The war allowed that to happen without much southern meddling.

This is rhetoric typically spouted by Confederate apologists. The south tried to secede because of slavery. And the south fired the first shot. They arrogantly believed the north wouldn't go to war over slaves. They were wrong.

I can't help but be reminded of the episode of The Simpsons where Apu is trying to get citizenship.

Proctor: All right, here's your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter--
Proctor: Wait, wait... just say slavery.
Apu: Slavery it is, sir.

Bigfoot

I don't think anyone should have guilt for something someone else did. White people did plenty wrong in America over the years and not just to blacks. Think of what was done to native Americans many years ago or to Asians during the last world war.

The important thing is that we are aware of those mistakes by our ancestors and learn from them. That is all that needs to be done. I also feel that we have come a long way and things will only get better.

The one point you made that I agree with is education, both at home and schools. If you can teach kids young, maybe that will help. Unfortunately you can't fix everyone... just look at the anti-bullying movement and how ineffective it is at times.

Beyond that, I don't think anything should be done specifically for black people. I'm all for raising taxes and helping the poor, but those should be done without consideration of the color of ones skin. If you start taxing white people or giving money to only black people, that's a form of racism in itself.

zoku88

It was still a war goal for many northerners at the time. The main reason to fight for the north was to push the south back in, but the slavery issue practically caused the war, and was the reason why the south was fighting to be independent. There's a reason the Emancipation Proclamation was made, Lincoln was against slavery, and wanted to end it. The war allowed that to happen without much southern meddling.

The reason was to punish the rebelling states and gain international support.

You're right, the war helped accelerate the end of slavery. But that is merely a side effect. It's not like people wanted the war to happen to end slavery. They most likely would have preferred it to take longer, but more peacefully, which was dashed by the rebellion.

Do you have any evidence that the Northerners wanted to go to war with the South before talks of a Southern Rebellion?

And I'm not sure how you can say it was a wargoal for many Northerners at the time, given that for two years, there wasn't any promise of ending slavery. I don't think they really freed captured slaves either, during the time before it became explicit wargoal. Odd thing not to do if you were really fighting to end slavery.

But anyway, even if they did fight for slavery, it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure why you brought it up. Like, to give them credit for ending slavery to be brought up against the fact that people in that ethnic group were the main perpetrators. Nothing that can be said will take that away.
I don't think anyone should have guilt for something someone else did. White people did plenty wrong in America over the years and not just to blacks. Think of what was done to native Americans many years ago or to Asians during the last world war.

Are you talking about internment? Reparations in 1988 and an apology. Of course, that's like 40 years after the fact, but it's more than nothing... And I doubt few people believe we did right to the Native Americans....

The reason you can't do things based solely on economic status is because race is actually a factor in treatment. It's not solely economic status.

devilhawk

That's fair enough, but I guess I see it from my own experience. In my local area, they get approved to beatify the city, but instead of fixing the delapaded houses or shitty roads, they build a new walmart or some apartment complexes out in the suburbs. It gets kind of infuriating honestly, its like that part of the city doesn't even exists to these people.
Well I was just referencing gentrification and how former residents can't afford to live in the area after it is fixed up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
All this civil war revision. It's like I'm reading the same logic that a delusional pro confederate would say.

'Guilt' keeps getting brought up a lot, but I've never actually seen anyone asking for anyone to feel guilty. Mostly, what's asked for is empathy, recognition and progress.

FartOfWar

Banned
If your grandfather benefitted financially from owning slaves, and passed that benefit on to you, why don't you owe that to the people that provided that benefit against their will? No one's saying your grandfather's actions are your fault, they're saying that you -- and me -- benefitted financially from our grandfather's crimes, and that it is reasonable for us to attempt to repay that theft, rather than pretend it didn't happen and that it didn't effect us. And what's really being asked is our government, which is still the same continuous entity that made it possible to do this, acknowledge and repay what was stolen from generations of black families. Just as they've repaid Japanese families, just as Germans repaid Israelis, Poles, etc.

If your ancestors were active in the British empire's costly sustained effort (in terms of both treasure and lives) to end slaving across the world should you feel free to ignore the issue altogether? I'm being facetious, of course. I'm sure you see why.

Not to sound condescending or anything but anyone who believes this has a very limited/warped understanding of United States history. The animosity leading up to the Civil War was very heavily based around slavery and the economic ramifications of either keeping it or getting rid of it. The South was benefiting a lot from the institution of slavery and the idea of doing away with it forced many to choose a side. Those states didn't want to give up their cash-cow (free labor), if you will.

Valhelm

contribute something
The civil war happened because of a variety of cultural and economic tensions between the North and the South.

Every single one of these tensions (apart from the simplest sectionalism) was directly caused by or related to slavery.

zoku88

If your ancestors were active in the British empire's costly sustained effort (in terms of both treasure and lives) to end slaving across the world should you feel free to ignore the issue altogether? I'm being facetious, of course. I'm sure you see why.
Even if your ancestors fought to end slavery, you still benefited from the existence of slavery...

Trojita

Not to sound condescending or anything but anyone who believes this has a very limited/warped understanding of United States history. The animosity leading up to the Civil War was very heavily based around slavery and the economic ramifications of either keeping it or getting rid of it. The South was benefiting a lot from the institution of slavery and the idea of doing away with it forced many to choose a side. Those states didn't want to give up their cash-cow (free labor), if you will.

The South also wanted to move slavery west.

Jarate

Banned
The reason was to punish the rebelling states and gain international support.

You're right, the war helped accelerate the end of slavery. But that is merely a side effect. It's not like people wanted the war to happen to end slavery. They most likely would have preferred it to take longer, but more peacefully, which was dashed by the rebellion.

Do you have any evidence that the Northerners wanted to go to war with the South before talks of a Southern Rebellion?

And I'm not sure how you can say it was a wargoal for many Northerners at the time, given that for two years, there wasn't any promise of ending slavery. I don't think they really freed captured slaves either, during the time before it became explicit wargoal. Odd thing not to do if you were really fighting to end slavery.

But anyway, even if they did fight for slavery, it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure why you brought it up. Like, to give them credit for ending slavery to be brought up against the fact that people in that ethnic group were the main perpetrators. Nothing that can be said will take that away.

Are you talking about internment? Reparations in 1988 and an apology. Of course, that's like 40 years after the fact, but it's more than nothing... And I doubt few people believe we did right to the Native Americans....

The reason you can't do things based solely on economic status is because race is actually a factor in treatment. It's not solely economic status.

There were many northerners who wanted to end slavery at any cost, just like how most Americans want pot to be legalized. Many did see the atrocities of slavery in the North, and a small amount in the south.

The Civil War was also caused by the South. The North didn't want to secede, the South did. The North went to war to keep the Union alive. And the South Seceded to keep Slavery alive and healthy.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest two intertwined things to help fix are the for profit prisons along with the drug war. Ending these two things would go along way while also sort of being something that side steps things like say reparations that some may perceive as furthering the us vs them mentality.

zoku88

There were many northerners who wanted to end slavery at any cost, just like how most Americans want pot to be legalized. Many did see the atrocities of slavery in the North, and a small amount in the south.

The Civil War was also caused by the South. The North didn't want to secede, the South did. The North went to war to keep the Union alive. And the South Seceded to keep Slavery alive and healthy.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. This is all stupid and besides the point. I'm not even sure why this is even being talked about.

Trojita

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. This is all stupid and besides the point. I'm not even sure why this is even being talked about.

Yeah, a war where hundreds of thousands of people died for an ideal is stupid.

Okay.

No matter the color, there are many oppressed people living in the United States. A white person living under a bridge in a cardboard box is certainly not better off than a black woman whose a CEO making a 6 figure income. I think education and, unfortunately, time is going to make the most long term difference.

mantidor

So, given that you brought up the holocaust, and given that Germany did pay reparations to Israel, why shouldn't we pay reparations to the descendants of slaves?

It's something impossible to be carried out given how long ago the slavery trade was at its peak, entire countries have been born and disappeared in that time span, it's not as simple as tracing back your ancestry (which is in itself not exactly easy). Not everyone benefited in the same degree from slavery either, white people were in a class system as well, slaves were luxuries, a slave could easily have the cost of a house. And what if you are not a descendant of slaves? what if your family moved from Africa way after the slave trade? and what about mixed raced people? it would be a nightmare of census, and prone to be exploited. The people who are suffering the consequences of those times the most are not guaranteed to receive the help they need.

On the other hand WWII happened merely 60 or so years ago between different countries, it's completely different. And even then, the unfortunately rise of neo nazism in Germany is linked to this guilt entire new generations have over something that happened before they were born, that is a fertile ground for people on the extreme right to rally supporters. Trying to do some kind of reparation program because of slavery could end up being completely counter productive, it could even exacerbate racism more.

gogosox82

I didn't want to launch this into a history lesson since that isn't what the topic is about and I feel like talking about this is not what should be being discussed. If you want to discuss it further, I suggest sending me a pm and we can discuss it there.

Edit: Again I didn't what to lay out everything I know about the Civil War because that's not what the topic is about. If anyone wants to discuss the Civil War, send me a pm and we can discuss it there.

Imm0rt4l

The first step is in acknowledging that it's actually still an issue.

So many people forget that there are millions of people alive today who were adults when federal laws directly limited their rights. This isn't some sad bit of history that happened hundreds of years ago, it's extremely recent.
Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom