• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How common is a sexless marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
ThisWreckage said:
No, you don't get to do that with someone calling you out on your bullshit. You were the one that got the little jab in first. Why is it when someone criticizes having children one of the first responses that pops up is, "Gee, I'm glad you didn't decide to have children"? That's exactly what you did and I've seen the same tactic used before.

To top it off, you also told him to "fuck off" and implied that he was acting like a teenager. So, if you're a parent I really hope you don't teach your children to handle philosophical differences by throwing the first stone and assassinating the person's character.

Shall we start at the beginning? His initial post:

WickedAngel said:
No, there isn't. The freedom that allows my wife and I to enjoy our relationship is infinitely more appealing than being tied to a hopelessly dependent, oft disgusting child for a significant portion of the best years of our lives.

I'm tied to a disgusting Dependant? The level of superiority displayed is astounding. So I replied:

Cooter said:
Dude, fuck off. Everyone is different. You sound like a teenager. I'm glad you chose not to procreate. Very glad.

For which he replies:

WickedAngel said:
Shouldn't you be taking care of your soul-sucking children you fucking cunt?

And I reply:

Cooter said:
Lol. You don't even realize how pathetic you look in this little exchange. I feel kinda bad for you. Glad you and your wife are happy and the sex is great.

So yeah, I'm glad he didn't procreate because his children would have had a bitter angry dad who appears to severely dislike children.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Seep said:
A lot more common than you think.

Some people just want a companion.

This is the correct answer. Besides, nothing lasts forever...and once the initial thrill of sex dies off, well, what you get is a rather sexless marriage.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
neutralgamer02 said:
I guess I meant they don't drop as much or as quickly as estrogen levels in women. The rest of my post still stands though.

i'm not trying to be antagonistic. i promise. i understand your concern. i think your concern is just based on a sexist stereotype that men continue to be sexual animals throughout their lives while women only use sex to rope men into marriage then taper off into sexual nothingness. it's an idea that's handed out free of charge and readily each and every day, and even within this thread is bandied about as a presumed truth, but it's a big pile of shit.

Cooter said:
Shall we start at the beginning? His initial post:

I'm tied to a disgusting dependant? Nice. So I replied:

For which he replies:

And I reply:

So yeah, I'm glad he didn't procreate because his children would have had a bitter angry dad who appears to severely dislike children.

He obviously hit a nerve and you retaliated tenfold out of anger. That's all there is to that. Don't pretend like you took the high road because you most certainly did not.

beelzebozo said:
i'm not trying to be antagonistic. i promise. i understand your concern. i think your concern is just based on a sexist stereotype that men continue to be sexual animals throughout their lives while women only use sex to rope men into marriage then taper off into sexual nothingness. it's an idea that's handed out free of charge and readily each and every day, and even within this thread is bandied about as a presumed truth, but it's a big pile of shit.

So, why do few couples still have sex in their 40s to 60s even though they are healthy and it is good for you?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
neutralgamer02 said:
So, why do few couples still have sex in their 40s to 60s even though they are healthy and it is good for you?

Too busy. Got shit to do. Responsibility and such. No such responsibility to tame that ass.

jaxword

neutralgamer02 said:

20 years of a stressful schedule of kids, work and maintaining a house probably has placed sex low on the priorities list. Coupled with less time to eat healthy and work out regularly, sexual desire decreasing would seem to be natural.

Edit: ^^Okay, I can agree with the above.

Sunflower said:
Too busy. Got shit to do. Responsibility and such. No such responsibility to tame that ass.

Really? Kids move out in your 50s. What are you replacing that time with?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
neutralgamer02 said:

because they don't foster the identity distance needed to maintain a sense of sexual attraction. in a sense, you look to the same person in your life for consistency, calm, and reliability that you do excitement and eroticism, and it's difficult for the same person to fulfill those roles. the only way you can do it is to maintain a very strong sense of self and not "merge" in the codependent way that so many couples do. so many couples foster this hyper-intimate "US" that becomes insular to the point that they begin to resent each other in small pieces for taking away the scope of their life.

i could go on, but you get the idea, i'm sure. many couples don't bother to cultivate an exciting sexual life, even when that means implementing things that seem silly or arbitrary or just for fun. sometimes the arbitrary and the artifice, the pomp of this sort of thing, can really keep things fresh.

beelzebozo said:
because they don't foster the identity distance needed to maintain a sense of sexual attraction. in a sense, you look to the same person in your life for consistency, calm, and reliability that you do excitement and eroticism, and it's difficult for the same person to fulfill those roles. the only way you can do it is to maintain a very strong sense of self and not "merge" in the codependent way that so many couples do. so many couples foster this hyper-intimate "US" that becomes insular to the point that they begin to resent each other in small pieces for taking away the scope of their life.

i could go on, but you get the idea, i'm sure. many couples don't bother to cultivate an exciting sexual life, even when that means implementing things that seem silly or arbitrary or just for fun. sometimes the arbitrary and the artifice, the pomp of this sort of thing, can really keep things fresh.

Yeah, I can understand that. Still, it seems a little sad. Guess there are better things than sex, or something.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
neutralgamer02 said:
Yeah, I can understand that. Still, it seems a little sad. Guess there are better things than sex, or something.

it is sad, but it's not unavoidable. recognizing a problem and understanding why it happens is a great way to understand how to prevent it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
beelzebozo said:

I really agree with the majority of what you wrote; however, I just don't believe you can keep things "fresh" for 20-30 years. Time just kills it off.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Chiggs said:
I really agree with the majority of what you wrote; however, I just don't believe you can keep things "fresh" for 20-30 years. Time just kills it off.

yeah, i just disagree. maybe "fresh" is the wrong word, but to be able to look at someone you have known for 30+ years with new eyes and try to see them as an individual who is desirable and makes the choice every day to interact with you and be your partner is something you can train yourself to do--to understand that they are not a presumed element and that they could very well be gone at any moment for a number of reasons. it's like this balancing act of becoming comfortable enough to enjoy your time together and have sweet natural moments where you seem to be in perfect synchronicity, and then maintaining the understanding that you are always ten seconds away from losing them or dying and that everything is precious.

jaxword

Chiggs said:

Not that I'm a 50 year old sex expert or anything, but I suspect most people simply don't have the energy to TRY and keep things fresh, i.e. by working out and keeping their bodies fit for their lovers.

Our society simply doesn't allow for that kind of life.

stuminus3

neutralgamer02 said:
How do we know this is true?

Serious question, I'm not trying to be rude. There isn't a whole lot of hard data in this thread and I'll assume there aren't too many 40 - 60 year olds posting in this thread so I'm wondering where this information comes from.

It's like my in-laws, they're both in their very early sixties. I could say their relationship is totally sexless. But how do I really know that? Not that I'd want to think about it too much but it's hardly something they'd advertise when the wife and I are over with the kids so either way they're completely sexless to us.

Plus I'm not too far from 40 myself. I'm not drastically different from when I hit 30 a few years back so I can't see my 40s being such a drastic change either.

matt360

How would you guys feel about a wife who has no problems giving you bjs whenever you ask, or who will "open up" for a quickie just to get your rocks off, but in no way seeks any form of reciprocation? So she'll jerk you off, but won't let you go down on her, or even kiss her. You're still technically getting sex, but would a partner like that be grounds for divorce? I know personally that I enjoy sex a million times more when my wife is genuinely into it. I think that holds true for most people, but it goes to show that it's not just the sex itself that's the problem. It's an issue of emotional availability and reciprocation.

Been married going on 4 years, the wife and I still making the bed rock at least once or twice a week which is cool with the both of us.

maharg

idspispopd
WrikaWrek said:
Having kids should be part of life. It's one of the biggest choices you have, and in reality it's the moment you accept your purpose in nature.

At one point in your life you will feel the need, be it sooner or later. And I truly believe that if you look at it and think that it's all about raising and independent part of yourself, of educating your view of the world to someone but from scratch, then I think there's excitement to be had from that challenge.

And I believe if you really love someone then you eventually want to take that step, be it for true love or $ love.

Thank you for the example so soon after my post.

It's common enough to have been a long running joke.

310753_286004761423300_100000413341579_1030439_994012713_n.jpg

Mikasangelos said:
Yeop bday was yesterday......... no sex of any form. Im 28 shes 25..........uhg.

lol I had many days like that. But frankly I do not miss those days any more . I am so busy now a days and simple hugs and kisses are so much satisfying than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom