• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How common is a sexless marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about marriage lately and I am just wondering, how common is a sexless marriage?

I am guessing it is probably common, but is it something that men should expect heading into marriage?

Edit: I mean there is sex at the beginning, but then it drops off for some reason.

Shanadeus

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:
I've been thinking about marriage lately and I am just wondering, how common is a sexless marriage?

I am guessing it is probably common, but is it something that men should expect heading into marriage?
I think it's not just a case of being married, but being married with children.
Anecdotally speaking, most child-free couples are happy and have a healthy sex life.

have you guys seen that commercial for "Man Up" on ABC?

the guy's playing video games, right? and he's talking to his man friends, and his one man friend says, "how'd you convince your wife to let to let you play video games tonight?" and then there's a cut to the guy talking to his wife (she's folding clothes) and he's like "wanna have sex tonight?"

HAHA! Man Up on ABC catch it right after Last Man Standing with Tim Allen 8:30/7:30c on ABC!

Woorloog

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:

So, you're wondering if a marriage ends up sex-starved, not being sexless due to some religous reason or something like that (marriage being more about spiritual marriage or something like that)?

bjb

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:

Your wife won't fuck you? Dude bail out.

JGS

Banned
Shanadeus said:
Anecdotally speaking, most child-free couples are happy and have a healthy sex life.
Married with kid(s) couples have happy sex lives too. The priorities do change though.
Seep said:
A lot more common than you think.

Some people just want a companion.
I'm pretty sure this is the way I'll be when I'm old & widowed (Assuming I live longer). It's also why I'll probably never get married again.

I know a couple who got married mainly because they were lonely. As long as both are content, then no problem. Otherwise it's not terribly favor.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I assume it's wildly common. I've just always assumed that I would never get laid again after I got married.

ohhthegore said:
isnt the point of marriage to get sex without having to put in effort?
No, that's having a girlfriend.

I edit the OP. I meant couples who used to have sex, but then the sex slows down or stops after a couple of years for whatever reason. How common is that.

Shanadeus

Banned
JGS said:
Married with kid(s) couples have happy sex lives too. The priorities do change though.
Yeah, that's what I mean.
If you have children, they are infinitely more important than any carnal pleasure - and the latter must always give way for the former..

neutralgamer02 said:
I edit the OP. I meant couples who used to have sex, but then the sex slows down or stops after a couple of years for whatever reason. How common is that.

oh well when you put it that way that pretty much happens to every couple

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Shanadeus said:

I am part of the proof of this. Hell, I'm having sex right now! And my wife is too!

neutralgamer02 said:
Ah. Extremely common.

Pro-tip: I you want to get pussy in reasonably high volume for the remainder of your life:

1.) Don't get marred.

2.) Cheat.

Choose wisely. Don't let anyone tell you their sex life remained as active or increased post-marriage. Their liars from the pits of hell hoping you will join them in misery.

WanderingWind

Dreams-Visions said:
Choose wisely. Don't let anyone tell you their sex life remained as active or increased post-marriage. Their liars from the pits of hell hoping you will join them in misery.

lol. 11 years and counting, still good.

Dreams-Visions said:
Ah. Extremely common.

Pro-tip: I you want to get pussy in reasonably high volume for the remainder of your life:

1.) Don't get marred.

2.) Cheat.

hell no man, after marriage I've been all

simpsons1.gif

flyover

Shanadeus said:
Anecdotally speaking, I can vouch for this. Married eight years and it still feels like we're boyfriend and girlfriend, which is great. I'd wager there are plenty of couples with kids who feel this way, too. At least I hope so.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
No clue how common it is. I've been married 6 years, and sex is still good. I just jerk one out during those moments when it's been a while. We're both busy people after all.

WanderingWind

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
With... each other?

Sure!

Dreams-Visions said:
Okay. Except for you. :)

But I'm sure you already knew you were the extreme exception. It's just the nature of the beast.

Eh, I really think kids are the issue. We're still just as hot and heavy as the first year. Seems to be a trend among those couples who opt out of child rearing.

But, until there is a study to back it up, it's all anecdotal.

If you want to maximize your chances of having as healthy of a sex life as possible (outside of just screwing anything that becomes available), do the following:

1) Never get married
2) Never have children

Those 2 things will put a serious drain on your partners desire for sex, no matter how good you are in the relationship (re: You could be "Mr. Perfect" both in bed & out of the bedroom). Not only did I see a drastic decline in frequency before my son was born, but I bet you serious cash you could ask any number of male friends of yours and they'd almost unanimously tell you the same thing.

2th

Banned
BertramCooper said:
Liza Minnelli has been married four times.

So there's your answer.

I came to just posted something like "bwahahahahahahahahahahahaah" but google image search provided me something better.
erection+killer.gif

Also this is how you have a sexless marriage

JGS

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
If you want to maximize your chances of having as healthy of a sex life as possible (outside of just screwing anything that becomes available), do the following:

1) Never get married
2) Never have children

Those 2 things will put a serious drain on your partners desire for sex, no matter how good you are in the relationship (re: You could be "Mr. Perfect" both in bed & out of the bedroom). Not only did I see a drastic decline in frequency before my son was born, but I bet you serious cash you could ask any number of male friends of yours and they'd almost unanimously tell you the same thing.
OK, 2 I get, but how does getting married drain your partners desire for sex unless it's the partner's intention to leave/cheat on you in the first place?

I know of two friends as a couple and one of the bf claims they haven't had sex since they met. They are together for two years now. I'm still baffled but my friend said it's not his position to say why.

JGS said:
OK, 2 I get, but how does getting married drain your partners desire for sex unless it's the partner's intention to leave/cheat on you in the first place?

Well, let's be brutally honest here: Most women (yes, I'll use the term "most"), see the lure of a possible marriage as a reason to stay "available" to her partner. Once that need/want/desire has been met, there's significantly less reason to continue, now that it's been met.

highrider

Banned
i won't front, with two young sons i am not getting anywhere near the sex that i used to. my wife wants to have another kid.. she really took the whole be fruitful and multiply to heart.

JGS

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Well, let's be brutally honest here: Most women (yes, I'll use the term "most"), see the lure of a possible marriage as a reason to stay "available" to her partner. Once that need/want/desire has been met, there's significantly less reason to continue, now that it's been met.
Got it.

Not arguing that point, but then the relationship turns into baiting the woman to keep the sex going. It's all a game I guess.

Shanadeus

Banned

JGS

Banned
Well, this goes back to priorities. There's no question that having a big bundle of pure responsibility s going to add stress and worry which in turn reduces happiness. The magic trick is that the joy is indescribably actually having kids unless you never wanted them.

It's hard to have a metric on it. Sex is no longer a primary condition of a relationship (Still a need though).

Rapstah

How screwed up in the head am I if I actually thought for several seconds you were talking about marriages inbetween alien races that don't have separate sexes and saw nothing unusual in it?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If your GF is not a freak and craving it before marriage with kids I'd say don't do it. Life happens and it probably will decrease with responsibilities so make sure a decrease is still a healthy acceptable level. If not you will end up miserable. Take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom