• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did Gears of War 4 sell?

Swass

Got it for $24 in mid November at Best Buy and it came with the launch copper mug and coaster.. It's pretty telling that it dropped that heavily after just a month and still included the launch gift, don't think it did well at all.

OldMan

Banned
Well when your only competition is yourself (Gears 1-3) its hard to top those greats. But also I wonder if the Gears Collection put any dents into those sales. Yeah so it is kinda strange that a new gears debut on the Xbox One failed but I expect Gears 5 to have momentum fueled by new tech and better timing.

painey

even if it sold poorly, they have fleeced the fuck out of their install base with their scummy DLC f2p price model to make plenty of money

Chris1

thank you - do we know the LTD Numbers or atleast an estimate how many copies Halo 5 sold by now WW

I think the only thing known is 5M shipped in 2015 unless there's been new info.

But I don't think it's too out there to say it's gotta be past 5M now when you consider sales, 343 post launch support, the S bundle at launch and digital factoring in. It could even be past 6M at this point.

Ein Bear

Uncharted 4, inFamous Second Son and Ratchet & Clank were all series high launches despite a lower install base.

I'd argue that Sony's first party efforts, whilst very good for the most part, never quite resulted in a sales juggernaut on the scale of Halo/Gears last generation. The PS4 is doing hugely better than the PS3 did, and the reversal of popularity this gen has lead to a larger audience for them to tap into.

Halo and Gears however were already about as big as they possibly could be, and the 360 was the most popular console last gen. There just isn't really the room for sales growth there on the MS side.

cheesekao

I'd argue that Sony's first party efforts, whilst very good for the most part, never quite resulted in a sales juggernaut on the scale of Halo/Gears last generation. The PS4 is doing hugely better than the PS3 did, and the reversal of popularity this gen has lead to a larger audience for them to tap into.

Halo and Gears however were already about as big as they possibly could be, and the 360 was the most popular console last gen. There just isn't really the room for sales growth there on the MS side.
Wii?

TheRed

Didn't know it sold so low. I feel they played it too safe with the design of this game and it needed something a little different to catch the interest of people. I know they didn't want to alienate the fanbase but most people seem to be done with the series.

Matt

The problem isn't that Halo 5 and Gears 4 are down at all, the problem is that they were both MASSIVELY down.

Even if you want to go with that, why the big drops for both Halo and Gears?

Ein Bear

The problem isn't that Halo 5 and Gears 4 are down at all, the problem is that they were both MASSIVELY down.

Completely agree.

To clarify, I'm not trying to defend the sales. I'm just musing about internal predictions, as the hardware transition was what Epic pointed to when the decided against GoW4 in the first place.

I think Halo 3 had the same install base as Halo 5, and Gears 4 the same as Gears 2, iirc.

And in case of Halo 5, MS, according to Obliterator, was really disappointed and way off with their projections.

Ivan 3414

The most obvious problem with Gears 4 is that it looks like more of the same game people have been playing. Not much has changed aesthetically or gameplay-wise, and that's a clear misstep.

Matt

Completely agree.

To clarify, I'm not trying to defend the sales. I'm just musing about internal predictions, as the hardware transition was what Epic pointed to when the decided against GoW4 in the first place.
Oh they both underperformed MS's projections.

Fox Mulder

When comparing sales of any major franchise that spans multiple console generations, I think its important to remember that the userbases for both consoles were basically reset three years ago. I'd be curious to know what Microsoft's internal expectations were, as I recall the Epic guys saying a major factor in them not pursuing a GoW4 themselves was due to the hardware transition making it impossible to outsell 3. The Xbox One just doesn't have the userbase that the 360 had by the time Gears 3 rolled around to support those kinds of numbers.

Halo 5 had even less chance of doing Halo 4 numbers incidentally. 4 was released on a console that had been on the market for seven years, whilst the Bone was only on it's second year when Halo 5 came out.

Plus halo 4 was kind of disappointing, the MCC was a huge shit show, and I have zero interest in what 343 is doing with the franchise now.

I bought an OG Xbox for Halo CE, and now I don't even care about it.

I think the only thing known is 5M shipped in 2015 unless there's been new info.

But I don't think it's too out there to say it's gotta be past 5M now when you consider sales, 343 post launch support, the S bundle at launch and digital factoring in. It could even be past 6M at this point.

oh yeah i remember that 5mio news
tought we got another sales update since then

while those numbers are still great, its still shocking to see such a big decline.

jelly

I think console bases are a bit of a moot point now considering the numbers sold. The fan bases have probably gone down and haven't been replaced with enough new users. 80 million consoles didn't help Halo 4 outsell previous entries or Gears of War Judgement outsell other Gears games.

Halo 5 sold 5m in the first 3 months? I would have never known given the lack of PR by MS on Halo 5.

How much did Halo 4 do in the same time frame?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Granted i haven't finished Gears 4 yet, but I'm on act 5 of the campaign and despite the opening levels with the robots being AWFUL, the majority of the game has been excellent. Id like to see the series continue.

Good to know. I quit the game at the end of act 1 and was ready to write Gears 4 off entirely. That opening act was just terrible, not a strong hook for a waning franchise from a new dev to win over hearts and minds. I'll force myself to press on though.

EmiPrime

Good to know. I quit the game at the end of act 1 and was ready to write Gears 4 off entirely. That opening act was just terrible, not a strong hook for a waning franchise from a new dev to win over hearts and minds. I'll force myself to press on though.

It gets better and finishes very strongly. It's second only to Gears 3 IMO.

Pez

I thought the campaign was the worst on the series. Hopefully revisiting it on the future will change my mind, but SP was so boring.

Horde was good, though. They struck a nice balance between GoW 2 and 3 for horde.

Not surprised by those numbers, though.

jelly

Halo 5 sold 5m in the first 3 months? I would have never known given the lack of PR by MS on Halo 5.

How much did Halo 4 do in the same time frame?

They said it was the fasting selling Microsoft studios game in it's launch year which is PR goal post moving. Didn't flop but they didn't feel like giving numbers after the first year, think it sold 4 million or so a few months after release.

Sydle

Not surprised. I don't know many people who were interested in it, felt like those who loved it last gen had their fill and this Gears doesn't do anything new.

This. I am glad The Coalition is on the series. With these sales numbers I imagine they'll change things up a bit going forward.

How the mighty have fallen.

I always equate Gears to God of War on the Sony side. Because they're both 'GoW' but more importantly were/are one of the 3-4 big franchises in each consoles' stable.

But if the next Gof of War sold this bad, it would be downright shocking. So I don't know what has happened to this franchise that it's now doing these kinds of numbers.

Newlove

The quality was there.

I think MS is still in recovery mode with the Xbox brand.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. Xbox had a much bigger user base at the end of the 360 generation. I don't know the figures but PlayStation has taken a lot of people away. I enjoyed Gears 4, the game did look and play very similar to previous games in the franchise so that could be another reason it didn't have that mass wow factor. I think the Xbox brand is getting its stride back with the S and Scorpio but the Xbox One release under Don Matrick and PlayStation 4's spot on marketing / power as a counter really hit the brand hard.

The quality is good and the value is insane.

I got it on BF for $35, with the codes for Gears 1-3 + Judgment (which I never played). The only thing that would have made it better was if Gears 1 was the remastered version.

The thing is that it really was 'more of the same'. It didn't excite me the ways Gears 1 did back in the day.

Gator86

Does it get better? I finished it and thought yeah, this seems like a series that isn't trying anymore. I enjoyed the beginning for the change of pace, but it almost immediately turns right back into a series of levels that could be spliced into the original games without people really noticing. The series feels incredibly stagnant. It was the first Gears game where I actually enjoyed the characters though.

How the mighty have fallen.

I always equate Gears to God of War on the Sony side. Because they're both 'GoW' but more importantly were/are one of the 3-4 big franchises in each consoles' stable.

But if the next Gof of War sold this bad, it would be downright shocking. So I don't know what has happened to this franchise that it's now doing these kinds of numbers.

Thats exactly where im at. What went wronf? It couldnt just be install base. You would think a new Gears and Halo would move consoles themselves.

Is the Xbox brand that damaged? Did MCC really fuck up Halo that badly?

Can these franchises be recovered or should MS let them chill for a few years? MS should have treated bungie better, and shoukd have bought Bioware it's clear that since losing both teams in their Exclusivity stable has hurt them considerably.

Theorry

Got it for $24 in mid November at Best Buy and it came with the launch copper mug and coaster.. It's pretty telling that it dropped that heavily after just a month and still included the launch gift, don't think it did well at all.

Every game dropped arround Black Friday. Battlefield was also arround 35 bucks.

Wow that's surprising. How is halo

Two biggest ms ips that are nowhere near where they used to be. Arr they working on any big games?

At least forza is shining with horizon

Jack cw

Shame it didn't sell more. The game was legit. I actually enjoyed the SP campaign on the bone but I guess the formula just doesn't work anymore. Corridor levels with the same encounters for 8 hours just get boring. Microsoft had some good games with Gears 4 and Quantum Break but the abysmal hardware sales worldwide stopped those games from selling. Crazy to think that sales juggernauts like Halo and Gears became such bombas in only a couple of years despite being decent.

Thats exactly where im at. What went wronf? It couldnt just be install base. You would think a new Gears and Halo would move consoles themselves.

Is the Xbox brand that damaged? Did MCC really fuck up Halo that badly?

Can these franchises be recovered or should MS let them chill for a few years? MS should have treated bungie better, and shoukd have bought Bioware it's clear that since losing both teams in their Exclusivity stable has hurt them considerably.
I don't think MS can afford to let them chill. Those are the two biggest franchises they have and while they are in decline, they are the only foundation they have. The other IP they have tried to foster this gen haven't hit and they don't want to risk building big, new IP in house.

They have third party partners but those relations seem more to fill the gap in their lineup more than creating "the next big thing" for them.

I think MS will stick with them and just try to make as much money as possible off of them. They don't really have any other choice.

eshwaaz

That's really depressing. I was one of those people who didn't even want another Gears and was disappointed when Black Tusk's new IP was shelved, but I ended up loving the campaign. The Coalition really did a fantastic job; I hope this doesn't put their future in jeopardy.

This has been gone over ad nauseum but Uncharted and TLoU were already selling at Gears levels before this generation. And Gears was never at the Halo level.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The thing is that it really was 'more of the same'. It didn't excite me the ways Gears 1 did back in the day.

This for sure. I played Infinite Warfare right at the same time I started Gears 4, and while the new CoD wasn't really doing all that much differently in terms of formula, the core act of shooting was far more remarkable. Both games feature plenty of robot slaughter surprisingly, but CoD provided tactile feedback and satisfying degradation of the mechanized drones you are hitting, while Gears does not.

In Gears 4(especially on Insane difficulty), you endure some of the most blatant bullet sponge opposition yet. There is no feedback whatsoever to imply how effective your clip unloads are on limbs, heads, or torsos, as you literally just spray and pray the invisible HP meters trickle down before the magical AI aiming headshots the player to a cheap checkpoint restart. Factor in no real advancements to the game formula beyond inserting actual Horde mode sections into the campaign checkpoints, and the relatively flat, boxy environs(at least based on Act 1) and there isn't much reason to drum up excitement for this campaign. GAF does state the game hits its stride in the mid-game, but I have had a really struggle wanting to press on after that lethargic first impression. If the rest of the game plays it as safe as that first act, there is little reason for gamers to be excited at all aside from enhanced visuals afforded by modern hardware.

EmiPrime

This. I am glad The Coalition is on the series. With these sales numbers I imagine they'll change things up a bit going forward.

They can start by making Marcus the playable protagonist again and putting him front and centre! He's the face of the series and is a lot more likeable than the kids, especially when he's growling at their antics and giving them a dressing down for being idiots. I think having an uninspiring cover with 3 nobodies and making JD the protagonist hurt the game's sales.

Does it get better? I finished it and thought yeah, this seems like a series that isn't trying anymore. I enjoyed the beginning for the change of pace, but it almost immediately turns right back into a series of levels that could be spliced into the original games without people really noticing. The series feels incredibly stagnant. It was the first Gears game where I actually enjoyed the characters though.

Well I liked it! Yeah it's more of the same and the effect of the storms on the battlefields was overhyped and underused but there's some good enemy variety and the last level with
the mech
was significantly better than Gears 2's brumak ride.

BigDug13

GoW was a graphical showcase game that came out on the strongest system last gen. I'm willing to bet a large portion of that particular audience was turned off by the initial Xbox weaknesses early in the generation and moved to PS4, reducing the number of fans of that franchise in the ecosystem.

Top Bottom