• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did Gears of War 4 sell?

There attempts at new IPs (despite how good some have been) tend to fizzle, while the alternative of relying on their older, more renown IPs has been exhausted.

Seems like they're just stuck.

They just need a team or two that can give them the next Halo or Gears. I don't mean shooters. I suppose they could be shooters, but just new extremely popular IP's.

cheesekao

For Ratchet and Uncharted 4 I think time since previous big releases is a factor (i.e. consumers have had time to forget about them), plus the fact that PS4 has so much momentum behind it. Ratchet ACIT was 2009 and Uncharted 3 was 2011. Infamous released pretty close to PS4 launch when there wasn't a lot to choose from, which is probably why RYSE sold more than a million, plus Infamous had some pretty great entries on the PS3. I also think PlayStation has a lot of fans of SP games.
Ratchet lost a lot of fans with One 4 All and Full Frontal Assault though. There was also Into the Nexus which is okay but was released in a bad time. R&C 2016 is honestly one of the more surprising turnarounds for the franchise, no doubt due to it being a reboot and the positive reception the game has.

GOW3 - 2 million +
GOWJ - 620k
GOW4 - ~415K / 505K

NPD debut

Wow, I didn't realize Gears 4 had underperformed this badly (even if you count digital sales). First Halo, now this.

Still, the series isn't going anywhere, but I think for both Halo 6 and Gears 5 they will probably have to do a big shake-up in the formulas if they want to keep sales from declining any further.

This has been gone over ad nauseum but Uncharted and TLoU were already selling at Gears levels before this generation. And Gears was never at the Halo level.

And Gran Turismo is, as I recall, a bigger seller than Halo. So to imply Sony has no franchises which sell at this kind of level is total nonsense.

There attempts at new IPs (despite how good some have been) tend to fizzle, while the alternative of relying on their older, more renown IPs has been exhausted.

Seems like they're just stuck.
Pretty much.

I'm glad I am not the one making decisions in that regard because it is tough to figure out.

Comparing it to Judgement sales doesn't erase the fact you are comparing sales of a game to drastically different console bases as far a numbers. Just don't think its a fair comparison. Nobody is really questioning the quality of the game (Gears 4) unlike Judgement. So the only reason to me for lower launch sales is because XB1 simply has a much lower console base than Xb360 at the time of release.

But the Xbone is selling faster than the 360 for its time on the market and Gears 4 has, for example, sold far less than Gears 2. Plus, I really don't think install base matters much after a year or two on the market - otherwise how do you explain Halo Reach and 4 selling considerably less than Halo 3?

ethomaz

Banned
But the Xbone is selling faster than the 360 for its time on the market and Gears 4 has, for example, sold far less than Gears 2. Plus, I really don't think install base matters much after a year or two on the market - otherwise how do you explain Halo Reach and 4 selling considerably less than Halo 3?
Do you have any proof XB1 is selling faster than 360??? My estimates:

XB1 ~24m
360 ~26m

At end of the year 360 will cross 30m shipped... XB1 will reach 28m at best.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I actually thought Epic made a good decision when they sold off the IP.

It felt like something that was very much tied to a design paradigm that was going away, especially for $60 products.

Third person shooting that isn't part of some kind of large ranging, open world action adventure game or loot title or something is a hard pitch.

Uncharted is hanging on better, but I think Naughty Dog made the right call in retiring that one as well, and trying to open it up as much as they could (and they said they're going even farther on that in the expansion).

slyfox

The poor sales have to attributed to the Xbox One playing second fiddle to the PS4 this gen compared to the 360.

In addition, the game didn't have a great advertising campaign and wasn't much different visually and gameplay wise from Gears of War 3 imo.

Do you have any proof XB1 is selling faster than 360??? My estimates:

XB1 ~24m
360 ~26m

At end of the year 360 will cross 30m shipped... XB1 will reach 28m at best.

I have no proof, besides statements I'm sure MS have made in the past that the Xbone sales are outpacing 360 sales. Of course, now that they don't give out sales numbers any more we have no actual way of telling if that's still the case. The point is, trying to justify lower sales by arguing the install base is lower holds no water at all.

Third person shooter without verticality game designs in 2016 brehs. All those muscles and they cant climb or utilize ladders or ropes.

Series fatigue happened with UC4 but to a much smaller extent

Gears underperformed but I feel that was bound to happen post-Halo decline. They also seemed to be targeting core fans so I'm sure their expectations were far more reasonable then not.

Though yea, the numbers are quite a drop for the series.

I think an issue with Gears of War is how tough the multiplayer is. It's great for competitive sessions and e-sports and all that but the learning curve is insane, and the lack of options for new players to pick it up and learn the mechanics (even just aiming and running and going into cover, all three basic things that I see new players struggle with) is really cutting down on the number of customers.

I've been playing Gears since the first one, and while I'm not great at the multiplayer I can pick it up and generally go positive (I think my K/D right now is like a 1.1 or 1.2?). I'm not great but I still have fun. That said, I still get frustrated because there really aren't any options for weaker players. My options are to go into social quickplay, which will occasionally be match me with average players but almost always there are 1-2 people who just go 15-1 or 12-2 or something similar that ruin it for everyone. I can deal with it because I know those players aren't really common and I can work everyone else and hope things go well and the good players screw up.

Otherwise I go into core modes which is the same situation as above but worse, or the competitive which is even harder. Yes I know the 5 qualifying matches bring you a rank that is supposed to help you out but in the only two that I have fully completed those 5 (Dodgeball and Warzone) I still have the same issues. One or two players just destroy everyone. It ruins the fun. And I'm what I would call an average player, or hope to be called that. I can't imagine how dejecting and demoralizing it is to be someone who would be considered bad or below average going against these guys.

Meanwhile, I try to get friends to buy it - a crew that generally all gets the same games together to play together - and none of them want to. "It's too hard" is a common saying. Two of them agreed and said that buying Gears 4 would only be for campaign because the multiplayer is full of people who "only play Gears. They're all way too good at that game." None of them knew Horde mode is a thing. When I explained it, they all thought it could be cool but they want to go against other human players and with the brutal learning curve and lack of introductory learning they simply won't. This group buys damn near every multiplayer game together and they all skipped Gears. Looking at the sales numbers I can't help but think it's a common thought process.

I think you are right. The MP difficulty will scare many casuals away. I have been playing a lot lately, but like you, Im only average (1.1 KDR).
When I was playing the other day, I noticed a player on the other team only had one kill and twelve deaths. I felt bad for him and tried to find him on the battle field to give him a subtle freebie, but that didnt eventuate. He was still using his Lancer in close quarters when I last saw him. Poor guy. I think he finished with one kill and seventeen deaths :(
The learning curve and skill involved with Gears is very important to me, but at the same time, I dont wanna see new players get steam rolled. Its a tough balance to get right I think.

Cranster

Banned
They just need a team or two that can give them the next Halo or Gears. I don't mean shooters. I suppose they could be shooters, but just new extremely popular IP's.
Thats the problem, Microsoft has invested in IPs that they thought could be as big as Halo or Gears. Thats not a good stradegy because when they fail to meet those expectations Microsoft abandons the IP and thereby abandons the potential success in the future.

Instead they should be investing in new IPs and if the first one has issues then improve it like Naughty Dog and Sony did with Uncharted 2. Microsoft is sitting on a treasure trove of Rare IP's fot crying out loud.

Perfect Dark could be a huge IP if Microsoft let's Rare take it back to it's roots as a bladerunner esque espionage, objective oriented and corridor game like the original game and Goldeneye. It's a shooter but it would be more unique and not seoerate from Halo, Gears and other military shooters.

Zukkoyaki

The significant increase in quality and quantity of competition in the shooter space probably contributed to the declines of Halo and Gears. For a long time Halo wasn't just the top dog among console shooters, it was about the only dog. And Gears rose to prominence early last generation before shooters ran rampant and open-world and more dynamic games became the big things. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, The Division, Titanfall, etc. Are all high-quality competitors on the same platform now.

Theorry

Third person shooter without verticality game designs in 2016 brehs. All those muscles and they cant climb or utilize ladders or ropes.

Well. :D

vyO1ZIt.gif

4AKAVvn.gif

Cranster

Banned
The significant increase in quality and quantity of competition in the shooter space probably contributed to the declines of Halo and Gears. For a long time Halo wasn't just the top dog among console shooters, it was about the only dog. And Gears rose to prominence early last generation before shooters ran rampant and open-world and more dynamic games became the big things. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, The Division, Titanfall, etc. Are all high-quality competitors on the same platform now.
Competition is definitely a factor. With Halo though there was Halo 4 and the MCC debacle that hurt Halo 5's early reception and I think Microsofts early DRM policies turned off some fans early on.

I think Gears 4 issue is more dificult to pinpoint other than Judgement's reception. I think both Gears 4 and Halo 5 have done well enough atleast to put both franchises on a great track atleast. Time and effort will decide though.

Memento

How so?

It is selling better from Japan to US to UK compared to all the previous entries.

th4tguy

It felt like something that was very much tied to a design paradigm that was going away, especially for $60 products.

Third person shooting that isn't part of some kind of large ranging, open world action adventure game or loot title or something is a hard pitch.

Uncharted is hanging on better, but I think Naughty Dog made the right call in retiring that one as well, and trying to open it up as much as they could (and they said they're going even farther on that in the expansion).
It's restricting too. Little changes were made to the formula of judgement to try and evolve the gameplay to something faster and better suited for professional gaming and the fans pooped all over it. Sales backed it up. Epic felt like it couldn't do anything more with the series and saw a much needed cash flow opp by selling the ip to MS.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The quality was there.

I think MS is still in recovery mode with the Xbox brand.

They will be up until the point they officially slit the Xbox One's throat. Everything they do from here on out is a long term setup for when that eventually happens.

I'd argue that Sony's first party efforts, whilst very good for the most part, never quite resulted in a sales juggernaut on the scale of Halo/Gears last generation. The PS4 is doing hugely better than the PS3 did, and the reversal of popularity this gen has lead to a larger audience for them to tap into.

Uncharted and The Last of Us sell just as much, if not more than Gears of War. The only difference being that, save for Uncharted 4 maybe, there isn't as much pomp and marketing hype surrounding those launches, which gives the impression that some of Microsoft's games are bigger than they are.

Hell, how much did Halo 4 and 5 sell?

I'm sorry to see that Gears 4 didn't do well for them.

I really did enjoy most of my time with it.

Not having played Gears 1-3, I didn't feel the fatigue that many complained about. I do hope they get to make another one and that they'll take some risks and shake things up a bit now that they've got a 'safe' sequel under their belt.

By comparison, i certainly did feel fatigued playing through Uncharted 4's combat sections.. but I've played all of those games.. even the one on the Vita.. so I feel like it's understandable that I'd be tired of that gameplay.

Gears 4 also released at that time of the year when people are getting ready to buy the big hitters. COD, BF, and Titanfall all being right around the corner were on the minds of many. People don't have 60 bones to drop for all of them, so they're forced to make a decision. Gears 4 would be the less popular game out of all of those.(I guess we couldn't have known TITANFALL 2 wasn't going to set the world on fire like it did the first time.)I really can't say why Gears 4 sold poorly. Just trying to think of a few things. Gears 1 and 2 came out before COD was everything its become, BF was anything that just another BF game, and stuff like Titanfall(throw in a variety of other semi-popular games here)didn't exist.

Oh we definitely saw the Titanfall 2 flop coming.

Ushay

Gears 4 is my go to online game on Xbox One. Like it a lot, its not the best but its a very competent shooter.
Has some of the best 3rd person mechanics imo, I really dig the horde mode, very addictive.

Hope the series gets at least 2 more games.

That being said, MS needs to bank its chips on more new AAA IP come Scoprio.

Moofers

Give it time. G4 has only been out for 2 months. Like Halo 5, it can keep selling for years and it is only going to get better as The Coalition keeps improving the experience and releasing new content.

RoKKeR

Give it time. G4 has only been out for 2 months. Like Halo 5, it can keep selling for years and it is only going to get better as The Coalition keeps improving the experience and releasing new content.

Speaking of this, even though we'll never actually know I'd be interested to see how Halo 5 has performed as a source of revenue since its release. We know that it's population has held on better than Halo 4's, and I feel like the REQ system turned out to be more popular than 343 was anticipating. I wonder how the unique post-launch support of both of these games and their other sources of revenue square with depressed overall sales.

It seems that they've tried to push gears as a mp service type game similar to Halo. I would guess next game will get a bigger push on the mp side maybe with some significant gameplay additions to generate some freshness into it. Whether it was worth for MS to buy the ip is something I would think is. With a lot of MS new ip this gen bombing and the flagship Halo declining I wonder how that new ip the studio was working on would fare. I think gears will end up being profitable for MS but nowhere near what they expected when acquiring it.

Speaking of this, even though we'll never actually know I'd be interested to see how Halo 5 has performed as a source of revenue since its release. We know that it's population has held on better than Halo 4's, and I feel like the REQ system turned out to be more popular than 343 was anticipating. I wonder how the unique post-launch support of both of these games and their other sources of revenue square with depressed overall sales.

H5 must have a steady stream of revenue considering the updates it's still receiving. I suppose they could also just be doing it to gain good will for Halo 6.

Roboculus

Halo and Gears are not going anywhere. Despite the huge drops, they are still two of their best selling franchises. Those are their tent pole franchises for now. Just like Capcom has Resident Evil and Street Fighter, Nintendo has Mario and Zelda, Sega has Sonic, etc. Now Sony is more of an outlier but even they still have franchises they go back to (GT and God of War).

Plenty of games have been disappointing sales wise this year (including multiple games that haven't had a new entry in years so it's not just franchise fatigue). I think it's insane to expect any of these big franchises to go away right now considering how rough the market is looking so I see no point in complaining about it. I would rather spend time thinking about how they can make these franchises feel fresh or exciting again.

I mean shit, I haven't been real interested in any of the Resident Evil or Zelda games in the past decade but you're not hearing me say they should stop making them. On the contrary, I'm pretty excited about the next big entry in both series. Any of these franchises can bounce back. They just have to get more creative if they want to make their games feel fresh again.

Roboculus

Yeah, as much as we may hate the micro transactions, I'm sure they do a decent job of bringing in extra revenue. It's probably not a coincidence how many games lately have adopted more of a games as a service model.

onken

Last game in this series I bought was Gears 1 on GfWL. When I bought this I was shocked how little the gameplay has evolved. Graphics aside, if you'd told me this has released 10 years ago I would have believed you.

I also had a bunch of MP issues but I am generously willingly to blame the Windows Store for most of them.

I hope they continue to work on Gears of War, because GoW4 is a great game.

Honestly I agree with this, it's admittedly selfish but nothing else in the industry plays like Gears of War. If The Coalition did decide to work on something else I wouldn't complain but on the other end I am not going to turn down more Gears, especially now with the quality that Gears 4 brought.

Top Bottom