• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did the 3-D in NES Rad Racer actually look?

Zee-Row

Banned
I always used to play with the select button in the game to turn it off and on but i never had 3-D glasses to try it out with because my cousin used to pass down his NES games to me after he beat them and always threw away the boxes and manuals. Was it like 3DS 3D or was it the stuff popping at you 3D?

It was incredibly awful. Didn't have an ounce of 3D going on, and it was hard to play with the messed up colors. You didn't miss anything at all by not trying it. I wished I hadn't.

Zee-Row

Banned
Rad racer and 3-D World Runner would make excellent 3-D classics on 3-D. Does Nintendo have any more of those planned other than the stuff Sega is putting out?

VARIA

3D mode sucked but it did make for a good challenge back in the day.

We would turn on 3D and called it drunk mode and tried to see who could get farthest without crashing.

Here's what it literally displays every other frame:

T93nyYk.png

If you're able to see cross eye 3D, you could do it to that pic and see what it's like in 3D. Basically the ground stretches away from you and that's about it.

If I played with it a bit I could probably make an MPO file suitable for viewing on 3DS.

Alright, here is an MPO file you can look at on the 3DS to see what Rad Racer looks like in 3D. Again, it's underwhelming but if you're curious and bored you can check it out.

http://bit.ly/1jddReF

You can just browse to this thread on the 3DS browser or type the address in. Make sure you click the link that says "click here to start download from sendspace" and not an ad or something.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Japanese name of Rad Racer has aged so much better...... "Highway Star".

Humble beginnings.

Ur8O3Px.png

Oh how things have changed. :'|

Yeah because we all wish for a return to Square's halcyon days of......... Rad Racer :p

They actually have some earlier history than that era, I believe.... Japanese computers and whatnot.

The Japanese versions of Rad Racer and 3D World Runner actually use the Japan excusive 3D glasses add-on for the NES... er, Famicom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famicom_3D_System

0IZj8mL.jpg

The glasses use a shutter system, pretty much the same as the 3D technology used in the glasses of many 120 Hz TVs and 3D systems.

I would imagine that the game would look WAY better with these glasses in the Japanese version than they do in the American versions.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ You just reminded me those 3D glasses exist. I'm tempted to buy them. It doesn't look like it's THAT expense considering what an obscure accessory it is.

Makai

Here's what it literally displays every other frame:

If you're able to see cross eye 3D, you could do it to that pic and see what it's like in 3D. Basically the ground stretches away from you and that's about it.

If I played with it a bit I could probably make an MPO file suitable for viewing on 3DS.
Thanks, I love these. Iuse the parallel eye technique, though. I can confirm that this is nothing special at all.

Top Bottom