• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do I know if a game is in an acceptable state to play? is there a website?

mrmeh

Mostly talking about PC but It applies to consoles as well, with the current patch culture and reviews generally untrustworthy how do you know if its right to jump in on a game?

The bigger issue is for games that have poor performance at launch is there a website that consistantly revisits games and updates on performance issues?

There's several games I would like to play but I can wait for a sale later in their life if the bugs will be ironed out. Just want a simple summary "Shader comp stutter, wait for patch if patient" :)

Don't want to waste my time trawling through several reviews and forums all the time for every game so I'm not disappointed.

acm2000

"acceptable" on PC is down to personal opinion/experiences tho based on many many many configurations of hardware, i played Cyberpunk 2077 at launch on pc and had barely any big bugs or issues and only 1 crash in my playthrough so it was more than acceptable for me.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
neogaf.com
But be careful with exclusive games. Starfield for example would be called a buggy and unplayabale mess even if it only had a typo in one of the dialogues and a drop of 1fps.

Last edited:
that's going to be completely subjective; also you know pc storefronts have hassle free refunds right?
Just try it out yourself and just return it if you don't like the "state".

Skifi28

If you can't be bothered doing research for each individual release, I'd say waiting a year before buying is a good general rule.

Ar¢tos

neogaf.com
But be careful with exclusive games. Starfield for example would be called a buggy and unplayabale mess even if it only had a typo in one of the dialogues and a drop of 1fps.
So edgy!
Did that happen with Hi-fi Rush?

We call buggy games buggy regardless of platforms, you are clutching at straws to find excuses to cry "Wahhhhhhh SonyGAF!".

SHA

Don't pre-order and you should play on a friendly platform for this use specifically, it's obvious refunding should be a priority, and there's no such thing someone would hide a game weaknesses intentionally without prevention from the corporates who made it , there's no fanboysim on this topic whatsoever, if the famous guys you rely on that haven't talked about it yet it's safe to delay the purchase as simple as that.

Last edited:

Miles708

Kind of tangent to what you ask, but this website maps all games which are playable out-of-the-box right after you buy them, without the need of additional patches to make them barely functional.
I think it's a great service.

mrmustard

Banned
So edgy!
Did that happen with Hi-fi Rush?

We call buggy games buggy regardless of platforms, you are clutching at straws to find excuses to cry "Wahhhhhhh SonyGAF!".
Thank you. Sometimes my friends call me mredgy instead of mrmustard. You know that there are lots of people trying to shit on Starfield in the threads and you also know why. Sometimes i like making jokes about those people like this one. That's it, no need to overreact.

Last edited:
That is exactly why digital gaming sucks and is anti-consumer. I've recently paid a ton of money for day one digital games, and they turn out to either be so not worth the asking price, or worse: broken and un refundable. That means I can't trade them in or sell them to recoup some of my money.

And here I was thinking oh how wonderful and convenient digital gaming has become, since I finally got good internet in my area with unlimited data. What could go wrong?

MarkMe2525

Mostly talking about PC but It applies to consoles as well, with the current patch culture and reviews generally untrustworthy how do you know if its right to jump in on a game?

The bigger issue is for games that have poor performance at launch is there a website that consistantly revisits games and updates on performance issues?

There's several games I would like to play but I can wait for a sale later in their life if the bugs will be ironed out. Just want a simple summary "Shader comp stutter, wait for patch if patient" :)

Don't want to waste my time trawling through several reviews and forums all the time for every game so I'm not disappointed.
I can only speak for myself, but I have found most reports of "unplayable" games to be grossly overstated. I have of course ran into bugs, but nothing that has kept me from progressing in a game. Hell I even beat Cyberpunk on console when it first released.

That is exactly why digital gaming sucks and is anti-consumer. I've recently paid a ton of money for day one digital games, and they turn out to either be so not worth the asking price, or worse: broken and un refundable.
Other companies should follow Steams and Xbox's lead when handling digital purchases. Not that I request many refunds, but Steam has never refused and Xbox has only denied maybe 1 of 5.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Don’t buy day one of you are that worried. performance reports will come out soon after.

kicker

Banned
I don't think such a service exists. The industry is in a sad state of technical quality standards.
If this is your issue, then you probably already know to wait between a week to a month (for bigger budget games anyway, indie stuff is up in the air most times) after release for the post-launch patches.

Like others have mentioned, abuse the refund options too.

Sadly, the optimal way to enjoy games seems to be getting a goty/deluxe/repackaged edition a year after release

kicker

Banned

Kind of tangent to what you ask, but this website maps all games which are playable out-of-the-box right after you buy them, without the need of additional patches to make them barely functional.
I think it's a great service.
This is a cool site, though it seems to focus on console games.

I guess that makes sense since you're more likely to care about a disc being playable out of the box if you're buying games for a console. But then consoles tend to have more stable releases than pc, so, eh

Top Bottom