• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do No Mans Sky, Elite Dangerous (+ Horizons) and Star Citizen compare?

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, in Elite you can drop out at a resource extraction site, where miners are mining asteroids, sometimes in a wing with several friends defending them. Wanted pirates/assassins swarm around, also sometimes in wings of their own, looking for easy prey miners with a full cargo to claim. And space police swarm around in packs as well, waiting for anyone to step out of line. Sometimes the pirates blow up miners and steal their cargo and jump out...sometimes the miners dodge and the police see what's going on and blow up the pirates, sometimes the miners' pals defend them and force the pirates to flee. All of these groups are coming and going at various times, doing their business. And all of them are AI, but other players can and do take part in all of these activities as well.

It's not just that.
Systems can have wars,famines,civil wars, economic booms, governments changing etc...
And the players by doing missions can impact,start or end such things.
But even without a single player doing anything in a system, the background sim is still running and a system can go into civil war, fight through it and change leading party all without a single player having set foot in there.

orborborb

Elite is worth 20 bucks because it's fun to learn how to play, especially in VR, but after you learn how to play it quickly becomes dull.

No Man's Sky is surprisingly mediocre at randomly generating beautiful or interesting planets, about the same as the random terrain in Oblivion, and everything else about it is just layers of annoyance that prevent you from enjoying even the occasional pretty vista or cool creature.

Star Citizen is like one of those virtual collectible card apps on your phone but the cards are 3d models of spaceships.

Buggy Loop

Elite is actually done, No Mans Sky is shallow, and Star Citizen will either be the greatest scifi game or the biggest waste of money ever.

ED is not done. With multi-crew, character creation, walking around ships/stations/planets, pilots able to hijack another ship, fps fights, planets with atmospheres implemented for landing, including cities, forests, life.. hunting that life..

And probably more. ED is a 10 years project all in total when it'll be finished i would guess. They have just choosen to release the core gameplay early on and work on implementing more stuffs afterwards, rather than try to have all features at once at launch, the core experience, something as essential as space combats for example, would likely have sucked.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ED is not done. With multi-crew, character creation, walking around ships/stations/planets, pilots able to hijack another ship, fps fights, planets with atmospheres implemented for landing, including cities, forests, life.. hunting that life..

And probably more. ED is a 10 years project all in total when it'll be finished i would guess. They have just choosen to release the core gameplay early on and work on implementing more stuffs afterwards, rather than try to have all features at once at launch, the core experience, something as essential as space combats for example, would likely have sucked.

Is the Xbox One version the same most 'up to date version' as the PC? And if yes, will receive the same updates?

Arkanius

How I feel regarding all of these games.

FEiAgxh.gif

Elite is an interesting game, I put over 50 hours into it before I took a break. I like Elite, but I want more from it. For the most part it’s just an endless grind to get credits so you can get better ships. The exploration isn’t very good. You pretty much just jump from system to system; spend a few minutes scanning and refueling if you need to and you go to the next one. You can land on planets, but so far it’s only planets with no atmosphere. So there really isn’t much to find on them, you might find a base or something like that but that’s about it. Once they actually add more planet types you can land on, it’ll get very interesting. However, the great part about Elite, it’s a living universe because of other players. Players affect trade prices, factions, and you can actually interact with other players. Elite does have a fairly steep learning curve and the game can be quite punishing for new players. Nonetheless, it’s a great game, but it needs more updates, which they are working on.

I haven’t played NMS yet since I’m on PC, so I’ll find out tomorrow and I never played SC.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As far as I am aware, the xbox one version is always a bit behind the PC one.

It's up to date as of right now. Season 2 was like 5 months behind PC tho.

Ok, so it does eventually get the same goods. Nice.

Just gauging for the eventual PS4/Neo version.

Or I need to stop being cheap and update my graphics card.

Its lagging behind PC, but yes, eventually it'll get the same updates.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the quick responses.

Reckheim

To be honest, you don't need the best graphics card to run this with mostly smooth 60 fps. Even a gtx960 at 1080p would work wonders.

I like them all.
No Man's Sky is fun if I want to relax and explore a few planets without much hassle.
I play Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous when I'm dedicated to spending a few hours.
However, out of all 3 games I would say Elite Dangerous is my favorite, mostly because of the VR. Easily my favorite virtual reality experience outside of Subnautica and Titans of Space.

RedSwirl

The "game" everybody's missing: Space Engine

Okay Space Engine doesn't have actual gameplay, but its procedural planet surface generation might be the most impressive out of the four modern space games. It's currently the only one where you can seamlessly go down to the surface of realistic planets that have proper mountains, oceans, and other features. Overall it might actually be the most comprehensive in terms of simulating our universe.

But seriously, after playing 70 hours of Elite Dangerous, whether you prefer it or No Man's Sky might depend on what you want to do in a space game. ED seems to have deeper flight, combat, multiplayer, and economy systems. The big downside to ED right now is that exploration in it is extremely underdeveloped. It's the slowest way to make money and all you do is warp into a system, refuel off the star, scan some planets, and warp to the next system. I've personally had fun doing this for 60 hours but I know most people wouldn't. It's a very particular thing. From what I hear No Man's Sky seems much more satisfying for people into exploration, even if its space simulation is simpler and might have less to offer for astronomy nerds.

So my best guess:

Elite -- Flight, combat, multiplayer, economy, astronomy nerd stuff
NMS -- Accessibility, exploration
Space Engine -- Exploration, astronomy nerd stuff

I like them all.
No Man's Sky is fun if I want to relax and explore a few planets without much hassle.
I play Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous when I'm dedicated to spending a few hours.
However, out of all 3 games I would say Elite Dangerous is my favorite, mostly because of the VR. Easily my favorite virtual reality experience outside of Subnautica and Titans of Space.

I totally agree with the distinction made between Elite and NMS. Totally different playstyle for different purpose.

Elite feel like you're actually living realistic SF and you have to make a living. NMS is much more fantasy and relaxing. I think that both game are type of game that you play on the long run.

It doesn't have to be expensive. A $200 graphics card will give you the Neo/Scorpio performance or more provided your CPU is relatively modern.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
To be honest, you don't need the best graphics card to run this with mostly smooth 60 fps. Even a gtx960 at 1080p would work wonders.

Nice! Thanks for the info. Will research and just connect the PC to my 4KTV since it has true chroma and that based Sony scaler for 1080p.

It doesn't have to be expensive. A $200 graphics card will give you the Neo/Scorpio performance or more provided your CPU is relatively modern.

Would the 480 work good then? Always used nVidia for cards for over 10 years but seems attractively price.

I am confused about all these "ED is a shallow game" comments. Isn't the main core of ED trading and combat? There is no campaign or storyline to speak of, and your role is basically just part of a whole system and trying to live within it? So basically, you make your own story, supported mainly by the core of what ED is, which is trading and combat.

So if ED's combat system is very robust, i.e., harkening back to the space sims of the 80s/90s, how does that make it very shallow? I've been playing space sims since the 90s (WingCom, Privateer, X-Wing, DS1, heck, I even bit Colony Wars) and the whole point of those games is dogfighting. If ED's combat controls and mechanics are on point (pitch, yaw, shield transfer, etc), then it has already at least met what it set out to do.

ED is already in my wishlist and will bite on it as soon as I'm done with my backlogs, but if it has a world that allows you to be a trader, a bounty hunter, a pirate, etc. with actual consequences of all whatever path you choose, and allows you to progress via ship upgrades, with each upgrade actually contributing to your goal, then how is that shallow considering that is what a space sim is supposed to be in the first place, short of the absence of an actual campaign?

Klyka

Banned
I am confused about all these "ED is a shallow game" comments. Isn't the main core of ED trading and combat? There is no campaign or storyline to speak of, and your role is basically just part of a whole system and trying to live within it? So basically, you make your own story, supported mainly by the core of what ED is, which is trading and combat.

So if ED's combat system is very robust, i.e., harkening back to the space sims of the 80s/90s, how does that make it very shallow? I've been playing space sims since the 90s (WingCom, Privateer, X-Wing, DS1, heck, I even bit Colony Wars) and the whole point of those games is dogfighting. If ED's combat controls and mechanics are on point (pitch, yaw, shield transfer, etc), then it has already at least met what it set out to do.

ED is already in my wishlist and will bite on it as soon as I'm done with my backlogs, but if it has a world that allows you to be a trader, a bounty hunter, a pirate, etc. with actual consequences of all whatever path you choose, and allows you to progress via ship upgrades, with each upgrade actually contributing to your goal, then how is that shallow considering that is what a space sim is supposed to be in the first place, short of the absence of an actual campaign?

There is a story happening in the game, actually quite a few stories and the community is influencing it by doing "community goals"

There is a story happening in the game, actually quite a few stories and the community is influencing it by doing "community goals"

It's obvious he means a personal player story, a "main quest," something you would go through in Zelda or Halo or Ratchet etc. etc. That's the motivation a lot of people want. But I've found that the motivation for a badass ship with badass guns can be enough to tide me over for the same amount of time as a an interesting plot to follow.

Oh did you get one of those HP deals? The CPU is obviously miles beyond the PS4's and part of the performance issues on PS4 are CPU computational from the procedural element. You obviously have the trappings for a very competent gaming computer you just need a GPU. You obviously already know this though. Is it something you think will ever be in your budget or do you simply just not really care to play on PC?

If you were to replace the GPU you'd be set for quite some time tbh.

It was one of those Dell packages, mainly for Photoshop, Premiere etc. But thanks for the help, I kinda know the GPU (and the HDD) is a bottleneck, I'll have to think about upgrading.

Nice! Thanks for the info. Will research and just connect the PC to my 4KTV since it has true chroma and that based Sony scaler for 1080p.

Would the 480 work good then? Always used nVidia for cards for over 10 years but seems attractively price.

Definitely the 480 is essentially what the Neo is said to be using but clocked substantially higher on PC meaning it will probably be closer to the Scorpio. The PC aftermarket varistions like the $200 Power color Devil for instance got up to 6.4 Tflops. Regardless same architecture as the new consoles which means it will likely enjoy quality support for a good while.

That being said if you can find a good deal on the Nvidia 1060 that is also a great card to consider. Seems to be outperforming the 480 by a marked amount in most circumstances although I'm not sure what the prices look like currently. They were supposed to be $250ish.

SummitAve

Banned
I really liked ED, but for the type of gaming I do these days it required a little bit too much of my attention. NMS has been great to play while watching the Olympics.

If you really want to play an immersive space game you should just cut to the chase and play EVE.

~Cross~

You might want to look up the user complaints about Elite: Dangerous.

Its a running joke that Elite dangerous has horrible steam reviews with people not recommending the game after playing like 400 hours or more in it. I fully expect NMS to be the same if they keep updating it regularly like E:D

Not to say there aren't any problem. There are a lot, but the game is fully functional, runs great, looks great and sounds great. A lot of the issues the game has is because the designers are horribly stupid at some aspects by making them way grindier that they need to be, and thankfully they seem to be resolving those issues.

Engineers added a lot of depth to how you can customize your ship. Combined with their talks about expanding a second player based bubble deeper into space and the inevitable introduction of the aliens means there might finally be something to do in the game that is more dynamic than hunting bounties and trading.

joecanada

I'll tell you what I think since I'm pretty much the same history as you and I just got elite... It's not that there's nothing to do but it can be like all the stuff to do is very similar. Like a massive Skyrim or MMO . There's a lot of mission variety but the scale is so massive that it takes a good deal of time to do almost anything. So when you compare to say wing Commander you would launch , warp and fight, warp and fight, warp and land . In elite dangerous you may warp then search, maybe fight or maybe search some more, then fight, search and warp , warp search , etc ... Fighting 3-4 waves/individuals may take ten minutes or it could take an hour . I'm sure you get better at finding hotspots but travel alone may take 5 minutes or 10. It doesn't seem like much but it all adds up to a lot of travel. I didn't find it hard to get into as a sim vet but you have to embrace the vastness of space... You aren't just going to normally jump on and shoot down 10 kilrathi in 10 minutes ...

No Man's Sky is the actual REVERSE of Elite.

Elite is a space simulator, where it tries to achieve some complexity of the flight model and stuff like that. You can land on a planet, but you cannot "visit" them, there are no creatures or plants at all.

No Man's Sky ONLY purpose is to visit planets and see what the algorithm has created. It's all about landing and looking at the weird plants and animals. All the resource-gathering stuff is merely there to force people on the planet surface long enough to experience what it has to offer. And all the stuff you can do instead while inside the ship is just a placeholder and very shallow.

Essentially No Man's Sky has no purpose beside looking at the things on a planet surface it produced. Things (plants, animals and similar) that do not exist at all in Elite.

I'll tell you what I think since I'm pretty much the same history as you and I just got elite... It's not that there's nothing to do but it can be like all the stuff to do is very similar. Like a massive Skyrim or MMO . There's a lot of mission variety but the scale is so massive that it takes a good deal of time to do almost anything. So when you compare to say wing Commander you would launch , warp and fight, warp and fight, warp and land . In elite dangerous you may warp then search, maybe fight or maybe search some more, then fight, search and warp , warp search , etc ... Fighting 3-4 waves/individuals may take ten minutes or it could take an hour . I'm sure you get better at finding hotspots but travel alone may take 5 minutes or 10. It doesn't seem like much but it all adds up to a lot of travel. I didn't find it hard to get into as a sim vet but you have to embrace the vastness of space... You aren't just going to normally jump on and shoot down 10 kilrathi in 10 minutes ...

Let's set aside WingCom for a bit because you're railed in by the campaign on that one, but if, for example, all I want is to be like in Privateer and check on mission boards/bounty hunting, am I covered on that one? I'm not even worried about a dogfight lasting 30 minutes just as long as it's engaging and challenging.

joecanada

Let's set aside WingCom for a bit because you're railed in by the campaign on that one, but if, for example, all I want is to be like in Privateer and check on mission boards/bounty hunting, am I covered on that one? I'm not even worried about a dogfight lasting 30 minutes just as long as it's engaging and challenging.

Ya I fully recommend ED you can see my recent concerns in the ot thread about the games propensity to eat up your time with kind of slow travel that's my main thing (the super cruise speed is a pet peeve)... For missions Just for example say you pick up a bounty. You go to a nav beacon at a certain time and then go to a system and your likely to find your target .... But within that it may be half hour away ( your targets arrival )and you kind of need to be there so you are kind of tied up for that half hour (real time) scanning and searching and waiting . So it's not the campaign of wc that I was keyed on but more it's jump in and shoot. ED requires more prep and planning, a real sim if you were. But you can just hang around traffic areas picking fights too so it's not all going to take that long.

~Cross~

The problem with elite bounty mission boards is that there are a lot of ways to make money bounty hunting that are faster and more consistent than waiting for a target to show up. Also less prone to breaking. Assassination missions have a chance of just never spawning the mob, if it does spawn and gets into super cruise before you can reach him then you need to have equipped a wake scanner and intercept to dump him out of super cruise. Or chase after him in super cruise and wait for him to drop out manually.

In that time I've already killed 10+ bounties around a low or hirez zone.

As long as you dont go into the most efficient credit/h mentality in Elite you'll have more fun and have more things to do. Let that disease into your brain and you'll soon stop having fun in the game.

Ya I fully recommend ED you can see my recent concerns in the ot thread about the games propensity to eat up your time with kind of slow travel that's my main thing ... Just for example say you pick up a bounty. You go to a nav beacon at a certain time and then go to a system and your likely to find your target .... But within that it may be half hour away ( your targets arrival )and you kind of need to be there so you are kind of tied up for that half hour (real time) scanning and searching and waiting . So it's not the campaign of wc that I was keyed on but more it's jump in and shoot. ED requires more prep and planning, a real sim if you were. But you can just hang around traffic areas picking fights too so it's not all going to take that long.

Awesome, I think I get what you mean now. Combat doesn't immediately happen once you arrive at the navpoint, but you'll have to take into account real-time events. I think I can live with that. Sounds good if I just suddenly get the need to dogfight in space. As long as I have other means of getting credits to upgrade my ship, I think I'm good.

Is it? I saw this in the store and was mildly interested.

I don't know i'd yet to play NMS (Tommorow can't come soon enough) But it's what I've been playing , it's all handcrafted not generated but it's really damn good at making you feel isolated on a water alien planet.

I like to call it Metroid Prime underwater survival

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Definitely the 480 is essentially what the Neo is said to be using but clocked substantially higher on PC meaning it will probably be closer to the Scorpio. The PC aftermarket varistions like the $200 Power color Devil for instance got up to 6.4 Tflops. Regardless same architecture as the new consoles which means it will likely enjoy quality support for a good while.

That being said if you can find a good deal on the Nvidia 1060 that is also a great card to consider. Seems to be outperforming the 480 by a marked amount in most circumstances although I'm not sure what the prices look like currently. They were supposed to be $250ish.

Awesome, thanks. Will look around.

joecanada

Awesome, I think I get what you mean now. Combat doesn't immediately happen once you arrive at the navpoint, but you'll have to take into account real-time events. I think I can live with that. Sounds good if I just suddenly get the need to dogfight in space. As long as I have other means of getting credits to upgrade my ship, I think I'm good.

Ya if you're immersed in it it's great like for side money I have a cheap shit hauler with max cargo and jump distance and just run goods . Again you may need a good hour to do this but other than its not a real jump in and play, if you have a couple of hours it's good fun and real immersive. Also there's an arena mode I just remembered but haven't tried

bitbydeath

Gold Member
NMS has one way of playing, a forager/explorer trying to get to the center of the galaxy. In elite you can be a bounty hunter, a trader, a smuggler, a political enforcer, an explorer

This isn't true, there's lots of ways you can play NMS including being a bounty hunter and trader.

~Cross~

This isn't true, there's lots of ways you can play NMS including being a bounty hunter and trader.

"Trader" consist of getting resources from anywhere and selling them at a kiosk either in the ground or in a station. Flight between systems is too time consuming and costly to make it effective to gather or buy materials in one area and selling them in another. So no, I dont consider it trading, its just a different type of foraging.

In elite there is proper trading. Certain materials are worth more in certain stations depending on what type of economy the host planets of the systems have. Agricultural planets will have cheaper food stuffs, while having a higher demand for farming equipment. Mining planets will have cheaper ore and precious metals which industrial and high tech planets have higher demand for. System wide events like famine, political strife and outbreaks can cause particular items to raise prices. A system might stop selling slaves or might decriminalize drugs because of a shift in political power. You open up your galactic UI, turn a few switches and you can see the flow of materials from around the system around you and you can plot trading lanes to maximize profits. Other players actions might tilt prices as they start to exhaust the trading lanes. There are material routes that have you cross massive distances to maximize profits.

So no, NMS doesn't have trading.

I can make you a similar post as to why NMS doesn't have proper bounty hunting either.

e- In contrast, Star Citizen is SUPPOSED to have an even more crazy and complex form of trading once they actually finish it. In elite your ship can carry x amount of tons of any type of commodity. Thats it. In NMS you have inventory slots on your character and ship. In Star Citizen you are supposed to play tetris with your cargo and then properly secure it or else it will fly out and break or whatever. You can probably make an entire game on just this function.

Top Bottom