• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about city smoking bans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I can't smoke, I will bring a can of snuff. Movie theatres are really good about this; they'll give you a little styrofoam cup with a napkin in it for free if you ask (for spit). I really can't see any reason for people to complain about snuff or dipping in public, smoking yes, but not that.

Sharp

My point is that we have a topic full of delicate flowers that can smell one smoke particle in a million (one guy in a moving car!) and yet I've never seen a single topic about car fumes or general pollution.

The way some people in here talk I'd expect them to need gas masks every time they leave the house.
Because people smell car fumes all the time, to the point that they've become inured to it. And at one point, that was the case with cigarette smoke as well, but it hasn't been that way for (conservatively) 30 years now. So I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss people's tales of being able to pick out very small, trace amount of cigarette smoke, even though it doesn't apply to me personally (and certainly not to you, since you're used to the smell).

dem

No smoking in bars is wonderful

I don't think smokers realize how terrible they smell.

When I came home from the bar my clothes would stink up my whole bedroom.

Zeppelin

At some point people are going to have to enter that establishment due to their job and they shouldn't have to breath smoke to do it. Repairmen, policemen, EMTs, delivery guys will all end up in that bar at some point.

I doubt that kind of exposure to smoking has any effect on ones health. Some people seem to think that all it takes is one drag and you'll die from lung cancer. The ones taking the real hit is the employees at that bar. They have to work in that environment every day.

EYEL1NER

I love the complaints about people smoking in entryways and right outside of businesses in the walkways.
You didn't want them inside with you smoking? Then that is where you put them.

1277488480570-dumpfm-haydiroket-deal.gif

Where I can't smoke, I will bring a can of snuff. Movie theatres are really good about this; they'll give you a little styrofoam cup with a napkin in it for free if you ask (for spit). I really can't see any reason for people to complain about snuff or dipping in public, smoking yes, but not that.
I could complain about that. When I was 15 I worked at a movie theater. To deal with not being able to get their fix for an hour and a half, people would get our courtesy cups (for water) and dip. That shit is nasty and of course, people are fucking ridiculous and would leave their dipspit cups everywhere in the theater upon leaving. And of course people would knock them over while exiting the row or just knock them over for fun. I fucking hated having to clean that shit up.
I doubt that kind of exposure to smoking has any effect on ones health. Some people seem to think that all it takes is one drag and you'll die from lung cancer.
B-b-b-b-but the clouds of poison!!!

SmokyDave

Personally, I don't think this would work in practice as well as it sounds in theory. The thing is that, though there is a clear preference for smoking being banned for non-smokers, I honestly didn't know many people who adamantly refused to go to smoke-filled bars. I'm sure for some it was a deal-breaker, but I think most non-smokers just sucked it up and dealt with it. However, for a lot of smokers, smoking and drinking go hand-in-hand. Not allowing smoking is a deal-breaker, assuming the option to go to a smoking establishment exists. As such, the "let businesses decide" argument never really held a lot of water with me. I think overwhelmingly, given the choice, businesses would continue to allow smoking in some capacity since "Bar A allows smoking while Bar B doesn't" I think puts Bar B at a competitive disadvantage.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but before the bans, I didn't know of a single establishment that was smoke-free. Aside from dining sections during hours where food was served, there was practically always ashtrays on tables that never had me questioning whether smoking was allowed or not.

And in all honesty, I never saw the big deal anyway. When the smoking ban hit Illinois in Aught Eight (the first I'd been exposed to), I thought it was going to be the end of a glorious era. I smoked at the time -- heavily at that when drinking. And I liked going to bars. But, the ban came and life went on. Even in the coldest parts of winter, I still managed to survive going outside to smoke. It was never a big deal.
Excellent points. You might well be right but I wish we'd been given the chance to find out. If adequate facilities for non-smokers were found not to be economically viable, I'd be much likelier to actively support the ban, rather than just reticently adhering to it.

TBH, it really hasn't changed much for me either. If anything, the social scene that has sprung up for smokers is better than the scene inside the bar. I almost wish I was single again.

I love that smoking is banned inside of places in the UK, but it doesn't solve the problem of when I walk down a street I have to walk by a dozen filthy cunts who are smoking outside a door and still blowing it into my face.

I want a ban on it for everywhere but your home.

I don't like sitting beside overweight people on public transport and I don't like following them up the road. I'd never think to call them 'filthy cunts' though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Somking in public is incredibly selfish IMO. You're demanding that everyone else around you conform to your standards for health and comfort.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Because people smell car fumes all the time, to the point that they've become inculcated by it. And at one point, that was the case with cigarette smoke as well, but it hasn't been that way for (conservatively) 30 years now. So I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss people's tales of being able to pick out very small, trace amount of cigarette smoke, even though it doesn't apply to me personally (and certainly not to you, since you're used to the smell).

It's not that you can pick up the smell. If you have a nose, you probably can. It's about the "I smell cigarette smoke and I get violently ill" bullshit. That's pure, unadulterated hyperbole. Or, like was stated, you're just a very delicate person.

Vast difference from being in a confined space with smoke and simply walking past anybody smoking, or being outdoors where there happens to be smoke. It's doubly funny when these are the same people in the (old) weed threads talking about their smoke like it's not equally smelly.

My point is that we have a topic full of delicate flowers that can smell one smoke particle in a million (one guy in a moving car!) and yet I've never seen a single topic about car fumes or general pollution.

The way some people in here talk I'd expect them to need gas masks every time they leave the house.

Car fumes and pollution suck, but they are unfortunately a necessary evil at the moment. Smoking is not. It's just someones vice, someones addiction so selfish that it hurts the health of those around them without discrimination. Family, friends, kids, whoever. Just to satisfy someone's addiction. Yes, I'm all for smoking bans.

Stumpokapow said:
No city ever repeals a smoking ban after the fact.

I think this is very telling as well.

Dude, smoking is a fucking filthy habit, I won't deny that. They are comparable when discussing air quality however. There's a new car sold in China every 2.3 seconds, anyone thinking that a smoking ban will improve the air quality should probably think about that.
Smoky, I like you, but come on man. Obviously, there's a big difference between stepping outside and knowing that there are tons of fumes being emitted into the environment that are having a detrimental impact on air quality that goes largely unnoticed to the person going to get the paper, and walking into a bar that is 2,000 square feet and poorly ventilated where there's dozens of people smoking.

Yes, all those cars being bought in China is bad for the environment. But I'm not in a poorly ventilated warehouse with those cars running.

Seems like a neglectful thought process to me. Overtly. So long as we can ram bans through of activities (perhaps even content), within a few years the populace will be forgetful and not mind so much what they have lost. What you are describing is a bit akin to the chilling effect.

cvxfreak

All for it, and Japan needs to get on the bandwagon already. Smoking in McDonald's or other restaurants with specific children's menus is inexcusable.

changed much for me either. If anything, the social scene that has sprung up for smokers is better than the scene inside the bar. I almost wish I was single again.

THIS. Apart from the winter when it's cold outside it allows you to talk to people without shouting over the loud music. It's a great time to get a smoking girl on her own and make your moves. Same skills I used to pull girls in offices I worked with.

SmokyDave

Smoky, I like you, but come on man. Obviously, there's a big difference between stepping outside and knowing that there are tons of fumes being emitted into the environment that are having a detrimental impact on air quality that goes largely unnoticed to the person going to get the paper, and walking into a bar that is 2,000 square feet and poorly ventilated where there's dozens of people smoking.

Yes, all those cars being bought in China is bad for the environment. But I'm not in a poorly ventilated warehouse with those cars running.
We're not talking about just smoking in bars anymore, are we? I was under the impression that smokers smoking outdoors were 'filthy cunts' just like the smokers indoors.

Ultimately, you lot (those in favour of the ban) won and I'm dealing with it. I just think it's a shame that we couldn't find a solution that suited everybody.

I don't like sitting beside overweight people on public transport and I don't like following them up the road. I'd never think to call them 'filthy cunts' though.

Someone being fat doesn't mean you have to smell a disgusting smell and risk getting cancer whenever you're near them.

Smoking is 110% a filthy activity and anyone who does it where it forces those who don't smoke to smell/breathe it in are cunts in my eyes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dude, smoking is a fucking filthy habit, I won't deny that. They are comparable when discussing air quality however. There's a new car sold in China every 2.3 seconds, anyone thinking that a smoking ban will improve the air quality should probably think about that.

What im saying is that going into a bar filled with smokers is much worse than simply walking on the streets outside, even if car fumes isnt good for the atmosphere and there is millions of them in the world, you're not constantly being "harassed" by their smoke. Its never going to be as bad as being into a big room with cigarette smoke all over the place. Not as bad for the health either. Especially if you go there often or worse, work there.

EYEL1NER

Of course there is a big difference.
You have a choice to walk into that bar. Going outside is a necessity though.
We're not talking about just smoking in bars anymore, are we? I was under the impression that smokers smoking outdoors were 'filthy cunts' just like the smokers indoors.

Ultimately, you lot (those in favour of the ban) won and I'm dealing with it. I just think it's a shame that we couldn't find a solution that suited everybody.
Oh, it is a shame alright, but not unexpected.

Both my workplaces have a no-smoking policy and my house does not allow for smokers. You want a cig? Go outside to the curb.

Good for your city, I can't stand the smell of ashtrays all over the place.

Okay, now that I'm not really down with. If we're talking about shunning people for smoking anywhere near other people -- even outdoors -- then I'm with you, provided some effort is made by the smoker to stay off the beaten path while smoking (i.e. not lighting up in line or standing right next to the door).

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I find dipping to be about 500 times more disgusting than smoking. There was a guy who sat in front of me in Statistics class in college who dipped. He used the same dip bottle (a Mountain Dew bottle, which you can see into) for an entire week. It was enough to make me want to barf every time he pulled that damn thing out.

I like not smelling like a bar when I go to the bar, but I also think people are a tish oversensitive about smoking. There was a restaurant/bar here that had put in walls & a separate ventilation system in the bar area so no smoke drifted into the restaurant area before we went to a full ban. I thought this was a pretty decent solution. But alas, they went to a full ban before too long.

mxgt

Banned
If it was up to me I'd ban it everywhere except your own home.

What we have in the UK is better than nothing, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's not that you can pick up the smell. If you have a nose, you probably can. It's about the "I smell cigarette smoke and I get violently ill" bullshit. That's pure, unadulterated hyperbole. Or, like was stated, you're just a very delicate person.

Vast difference from being in a confined space with smoke and simply walking past anybody smoking, or being outdoors where there happens to be smoke. It's doubly funny when these are the same people in the (old) weed threads talking about their smoke like it's not equally smelly.

Here's my perspective; I'm a non-smoker. I grew up with two parents who smoked my whole life. I never really noticed it. I had lung troubles, but nothing too bad and nothing I'd directly relate to their smoking. When I moved out of my mother's house I pretty immediately became super sensitive to smoke. Now when I go back to her house, I immediately smell it.

You have to realize that I am literally never exposed to smoking at this point--as I mention, it's been banned here in restaurants since I was a teenager, it's been banned in bars for almost a decade here. I don't have any friends who own houses and smoke. I have some friends who rent and smoke, but they can't smoke in their rental properties. Hotel rooms don't allow smoking here. If I don't go to my mother's house or my father's house, I can easily go my entire life without being around smoke whatsoever.

When I am around smoke, I don't feel violently ill, but it's certainly uncomfortable for an extended period of time. I make sure to get a shower and wash the clothes I wore whenever after I visit them because sitting around in it bugs me a lot. I don't know if it's psychosomatic or reflective of an actual measurable medical thing. It was definitely not like this back when I was around smoke on a frequent basis. But it's like it now.

I am not generally sensitive to smells--I don't mind perfume. I have allergies to cats, but I'm not a big allergic person who has to take decongestants all the time. I'm not really fit, but I'm not a total blob either. I get migraines, but not often. I don't complain about my health. I'm not particularly sensitive to pain. I am not bothered by the heat or the cold at all. I say all this by way of saying that I don't view myself as an especially sensitive or delicate person. Smoking is one of the things I am the most sensitive to. I don't know if this is something that's intrinsic to smoking or something that's unique to me.

I just say all this because there seem to be a large number of people who report their sensitivity to smoke, but none of them really articulate what they mean, so it leaves them open to people responding with "Stop whining, you're being prissy" :p

The Technomancer

Seems like a neglectful thought process to me. Overtly. So long as we can ram bans through of activities (perhaps even content), within a few years the populace will be forgetful and not mind so much what they have lost. What you are describing is a bit akin to the chilling effect.

If something is shown to have measurable benefit then what additional metric should we use for deciding weather or not to implement it other then public support? If something has both measurable benefit and public support then what third factor makes it "chilling"?

SmokyDave

What im saying is that going into a bar filled with smokers is much worse than simply walking on the streets outside, even if car fumes isnt good for the atmosphere and there is millions of them in the world, you're not constantly being "harassed" by their smoke. Its never going to be as bad as being into a big room with cigarette smoke all over the place. Not as bad for the health either. Especially if you go there often or worse, work there.

In my hypothetical, there are 'smoking' bars & 'non-smoking' bars. If you chose to walk into the former, that's on you. I can't choose not to walk outside.

Someone being fat doesn't mean you have to smell a disgusting smell and risk getting cancer whenever you're near them.

Smoking is 110% a filthy activity and anyone who does it where it forces those who don't smoke to smell/breathe it in are cunts in my eyes.
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but it seems pretty deeply ingrained and I'm not going to try and change that.

Okay, now that I'm not really down with. If we're talking about shunning people for smoking anywhere near other people -- even outdoors -- then I'm with you, provided some effort is made by the smoker to stay off the beaten path while smoking (i.e. not lighting up in line or standing right next to the door).
Yeah, sorry, I think it's my fault. I can't keep track of who is moaning about bars specifically and who is just moaning.

Davidion

If the bans are enforced in any fashion like they are in NYC, there will be establishments where the enforcement is lax and everyone will know exactly where to go.

As noted, everyone will stop caring after a while.

Of course there is a big difference.
You have a choice to walk into that bar. Going outside is a necessity though.
But, before the bans, the choice wasn't about walking into that bar. The choice was "well, I can go out to a bar and be exposed to smoke, or I can stay home and drink."

JGS

Banned
Part of it is a atmosphere thing, so we can't forget that.

I personally don't care as much about the heath of workers since a ton of them smoke. I'm also not too terribly worried about second hand smoke since no one smokes around me except when in restaurants or public places. I love smoking bans because smoking stinks, it makes me stink , & people sit at the table I've been waiting for much longer when they can light up right there and then.

If cigarette smoke had the same stink level as typical car fumes, many would not care about the second hand smoke ramifications.

Actually, I think most people are OK with ways to curb air pollution too but the problem is bigger than what an individual can do. Not really the case with smoking ban which are easily adaptable in most places.

cstretten

I can certainly smell cigarette smoke when driving in my car.

Usually because some asshole in front of me decides that the highway/road is their personal ashtray. The amount of people I see tossing butts out the windows as they drive is incredible. At night it's like little fireworks as you drive along. Love them bouncing off my hood and windshield too... pigs.

So, dude throws out butt, my car drives over it, and for about 10 seconds I get a waft of smoke coming through my cars vents.
It happens a lot, so much so that I automatically roll down opposite windows to air out the car quickly.

Also, going outside of my house - I smell someone smoking - and I realize that they're across the road walking their dog. Call bullshit if you want, but it's true.
If I can smell it, particles of that shit are going into my body, there is no denying it.

The last person who should be criticizing my sense of smell is a smoker, since they probably have 1/10 the sensitivity of a non-smoker. Most of them don't realize they smell like a fucking ashtray when they walk into a room and their scent hits everyone else, they're used to it. My fave is the women who attempt to overpower it with perfume... lol... like it helps.
I remember when my daughter thought she could hide that she was smoking, hahaha... that didn't last long.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, stinky stuff stinks.

Nobody is disagreeing with that. Again, saying things like "it makes me sick" means you are being prissy, or you're over-exaggerating. Wanting to wash your clothes after being in a smoky environment isn't weird, either. You wash your clothes after sitting around a bonfire, or grilling too.

If something is shown to have measurable benefit then what additional metric should we use for deciding weather or not to implement it other then public support? If something has both measurable benefit and public support then what third factor makes it "chilling"?

Can you think of any other activities that have had "measurable benefits" and "public support" that you disagree with?

Tacitus_

Here bars have designated smoking rooms (no drinks allowed inside them). Would that suffice for you?

EYEL1NER

But, before the bans, the choice wasn't about walking into that bar. The choice was "well, I can go out to a bar and be exposed to smoke, or I can stay home and drink."
Is drinking necessary?
Wanting to wash your clothes after being in a smoky environment isn't weird, either. You wash your clothes after sitting around a bonfire, or grilling too.
Wut? Naw, man. I'm okay with reeking of booze, Axe body spray, and possibly vomit after a night out, but cigarette smoke in my clothes?

Those cunts...

andthebeatgoeson

How is that even remotely the same?

Leaving it up to the bars and restaurants doesn't address the health risk to the patrons, who shouldn't have to consent to it just by being there. Nor does it address the health risks to the employees, who may have to risk their health for a paycheck. We've already talked about the hypocritical approach to casinos, which is founded on financial concerns. Bars and restaurants routinely oppose these bans because they are concerned about their financial risk.

When companies pay off politicians to overlook their pollution, it's the same thing. One company focused on their financial position risking the population. Am I seeing this wrong?

Terrible analogy. Streams and Oceans aren't specific to a city and would affect people other than the citizens of that city.
Local lake? Bans on smoking in public places affect many people in the area. Hospitals ban it in the entryways so a bunch of drug addicts don't light up, finish up and run to the door because they are cold. That's affecting a lot of people. Even people from out of town visiting family in a hospital.

I wish more cities would ban cigarettes in public areas. If smokers want to kill themselves let them do it in the privacy of their home or car.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Is drinking necessary?

Wut? Naw, man. I'm okay with reeking of booze, Axe body spray, and possibly vomit after a night out, but cigarette smoke in my clothes?

Those cunts...

When I go out I never reek of these things on my way home. However, before smoking bans in DC I could never go out without smelling like an ashtray. You are doing it wrong.

Also what about people who work in those places. They are forced to deal with your secondhand smoke.

SmokyDave

Here bars have designated smoking rooms (no drinks allowed inside them). Would that suffice for you?

No, because we're still too close to the non-smokers. There'd be issues with toilets and things. Also, I want a cig and a pint at the same time.

Thing is, I understand how foul smoking is for non-smokers. I have no desire to force myself or my habit on non-smokers. Never have, never would. All I want is for smokers and non-smokers to be able to enjoy themselves and their habits in a bar / pub environment, separately if needs be. I don't mind being segregated in my own pub and I don't mind if non-smokers make exaggerated 'puking' noises as they walk past. I just want a fag and a pint after a long day at work.

I totally support the ban on smoking in offices and on public transport. Unquestioningly.

daviyoung

Banned

Amsterdam has this, except drinks are also allowed in them. It's the perfect combination. Except sometimes the toilets are situated through these rooms, so there's no real way of avoiding it.

Did you even try to find a solution or fight the ban? Or are you just whining after it all happened about how you had no choice? Obviously the people who want bans cared enough to make it happen, I'm guessing at the end of the day the people against the bans didn't care enough to put the effort into stopping them.

They tried to pass a ban in the city I live and the people against it put out the effot and won out so no ban was passed.

The Technomancer

Can you think of any other activities that have had "measurable benefits" and "public support" that you disagree with?

I'm struggling to think of something that doesn't fall down on one or both counts. SOPA fell down on both, most "moral panic" endeavors fall down on the first, most truly frightening Orwellian initiatives fall down on the latter...

I love that smoking is banned inside of places in the UK, but it doesn't solve the problem of when I walk down a street I have to walk by a dozen filthy cunts who are smoking outside a door and still blowing it into my face.

I want a ban on it for everywhere but your home.

Choice: cross the street if it bothers you that much. Though I initially want to sympathise with you, branding smokers "filthy cunts" did you no favours my friend.

I smoke, but try to be as considerate as I can. When I'm on a night out I don't stand in doorways to smoke - for the reason you so finely stated above. When I'm in the company of friends who don't smoke I won't either (for as long as I can). If I'm out in the street, say walking home from work then I'll try to find a 'quieter route' around the masses of other people.

My bf doesn't like the smell/taste, yet has been with me for a year now and it does not bother him at all. Why? Because clearly, not all smokers are "filthy cunts".

A blanket ban on smoking in cities seems a bit extreme, what if I don't want my house to smell of smoke? Will I be able to stand on my front doorstep?

EDIT:
I want a cig and a pint at the same time.

Thing is, I understand how foul smoking is for non-smokers. I have no desire to force myself or my habit on non-smokers. Never have, never would. All I want is for smokers and non-smokers to be able to enjoy themselves and their habits in a bar / pub environment, separately if needs be. I don't mind being segregated in my own pub and I don't mind if non-smokers make exaggerated 'puking' noises as they walk past. I just want a fag and a pint after a long day at work.

I totally support the ban on smoking in offices and on public transport. Unquestioningly.
TOALLY agree.

EYEL1NER

When I go out I never reek of these things. However, before smoking bans in DC I could never go out without smelling like an ashtray. You are doing it wrong.
When I quit smoking last for 10 months I was regularly the DD for my coworkers, since I had lost interest in drinking. Never once did I come home smelling like an ashtray. Never once did my wife complain that I smelled heavily of smoke (and she will complain if I smoke 6 or 7 hours before trying to kiss her...'Hoy, did you smoke?').
So eh, I don't know. I guess our bars are better down here.

notsol337

marked forever
I think it should be up to the individual business, really. If I own a place like that, I wouldn't want someone telling me what I have to do in terms of treating my customer base.

If someplace sucks because it's too smoky, don't go. I don't smoke, I don't like smoke, but I hate the lack of personal freedom more than smoke.

cbox

Good. Toronto passed theirs many years ago and it's been great. Who the hell other than smokers want to hang around in a dank, suffocating cloud of shit?

No, because we're still too close to the non-smokers. There'd be issues with toilets and things. Also, I want a cig and a pint at the same time.

You can smoke at home or in your car. That seems nice compromise to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom