• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Do You Go About Calling Out (or Reporting) Racism or Sexism in the Office?

So we hired this new guy at the start of summer, everyone SEEMS TO get along with him well enough, but he keeps rubbing me the wrong way with his racial humor. Maybe he's trying to be ironic, but here are four exchanges we've had since he started.

1. We were talking about a lunch, I said ”I'm feeling like Chinese (food)." His response, ”I don't know, you look black to me." Thought that was a weird comment and thought to myself ”Woah, new guy got comfortable pretty quick." Wasn't anything to get upset about, I can see the groundwork for that joke, I didn't laugh, but it was whatever.

2. A few weeks later, he needed a hand model for a picture, everyone in the room started looking at talking about each other's hands. Not at one point did I volunteer to be the model, but he still felt the need to single me out and say ”Your hands are too black." This caught the attention of everyone in the room. He apologized and just said he was kidding. We ended up doing a group shot of hands so I was in it anyway (even though I never asked to be).

3. A few weeks later I was complaining about having jury duty, his suggestion on how to get out of it was to say I'm a racist or wear a black lives matter shirt (now I'm wondering if he equates those two things), then another coworker chimed in with this brilliant gem ”Hey, you should say you're a part of ... what's that secret black group ... The Black Panthers, yeah, say you're a Black Panther." * sigh * This fucking job.

4. His latest thing (a day after the jury duty conversation) was probably the least bothersome, would've ignored it if it weren't for the previous exchanges. My manager brings her dog in, she loves everyone that has food and runs up to everyone begging, but only jumps on one of the coworkers when he's in his chair. She was begging me for lunch, but I didn't feel like picking her up, so I tried to make it as easy as possible for her to jump on my lap. She wouldn't so I ask out loud ”why do you only jump on so and so?" and that same coworker cuts in with ”well because he's white." And I'm just annoyed.
Tried to talk to a coworker who was there for the ”hands too black" moment and he thinks I'm looking too hard into it, of course, he doesn't see anything as racism unless it's a white person saying the n-word.

The people in my office tend to let out their ”casual" racism sporadically, I tend to let it go because most of the time it when they're just small comments mostly coming from a place of ignorance rather than something blatantly offensive. Though I do call it out when it's really bad, I pick my battles basically. They're all ignorant as hell when it comes to racial nuance, but I mainly get mad at this guy because it really does seem like he thinks me being black is a punchline.

We have HR but, it feels weird to contact her because everyone has said and done so many things they should've gotten in trouble before, it feels like a step backwards. Like getting pulled over for going 5 over the speed limit after you spent the night drunk driving. No one (to my knowledge) ever called out the guy that gave everyone in the office unwanted massages. At least two people were into it (the other 20 of us weren't) and I did walk in on him and an older employee rolling all over the floor together holding hands (surprisingly, it wasn't sexual, they were just like that with each other).

I guess my question is, how do you go about calling out that kind of thing in an office that's lax about everything. He's not gonna get fired. It's just gonna make things awkward and it's not like I plan on being here by the end of the year. Or is that a poor excuse just to avoid confrontation? It's tougher here because socially the managers want us to be this big family. I sit right next to this guy and 3 other people, so this isn't Tom who works 10 cubicles down.

And I don't want to make this thread specifically about my thing, please, share your experiences.

Mr. X

Speak to him. Tell him to knock it off. It's not funny, you were being nice at first and now it's offensive to you. He's making you uncomfortable.

ZOONAMI

Sounds like you’re working with a bunch of racists. I would try to scope your HR person/group a bit, and see if it might go well to bring all of this to them. I have a feeling though if this is your office culture it won’t go well for you.

Yeah post below is the tricky bit. If your mgmt/hr is shitty they will single out the behavior which will just make things worse for you as then all your racist coworkers will now consider you a snitch on top of being racist.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
From a management perspective, you should absolutely report it ASAP to your immediate manager, and their job and duty is to crack down on it sensibly and with tact, not "Jerry said you said this" - good management knows what to do and how to handle in it.

I've run into issues like this, and good management WILL fix it. It doesn't sound like you have good management, however. Tough spot.

mr2xxx

Banned
Pull him to the side and talk to him. If it continues then you can escalate it and talk to HR or your manager.

Jag

We have HR but, it feels weird to contact her because everyone has said and done so many things they should've gotten in trouble before, it feels like a step backwards.

Talk to HR. It's a step forwards. This shit doesn't belong in a workplace. Even if it doesn't make you uncomfortable, it may make others feel bad. Get it documented and shut down.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, keep track of what and when you submitted issues to HR. Make your own paper trail, because you can't trust them to.

Damn, I thought #4 was the worst one. The others were insensitive observations that have no place anywhere let alone an office setting, but telling you a dog doesn't like you because you're not white? That would probably make me say 'ouch' out loud.

And while #3 was pretty ignorant it actually might be solid advice at the same time.

norm9

As others have already said, pull him aside and tell him you don't appreciate his jokes and to stop it. Then thank him ahead of time.

zeemumu

Either talk to him about it or report it because those comments are sketchybat best for a new guys

But yes both of those things might get you out of jury duty.

HR exists for these things, despite what some people on GAF will tell you. Also I'd skip the whole 'talk to him' advice because a fragile white man could go to HR to report you first instead.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
Also, keep track of what and when you submitted issues to HR. Make your own paper trail, because you can't trust them to.
I would suggest you highly do this for your own benefit as well. I can't tell you how many times HR has mysteriously lost something and now there is no documentation that things were reported. Protect yourself.

Motherfucker is racist and wants you to be cool with it. His "jokes" are just that shit boiling over and it's the only way he can express it without catching immediate heat.

Go to HR.

shaneo632

Sounds like a shit place to work and horrible you have to deal with that.

The annoying thing here is that complaining to HR and getting several co-workers reprimanded will make it super-awkward to keep working there. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just prepare to be ostracised. I'd probably be looking for somewhere else to work already, tbh, but as you're bailing soon anyway I'd probably do nothing, cowardly though that might be. Depends how insufferable they are I guess.

airjoca

How's the overall mood and behavior at the office? Is it always casual with people cracking jokes?

That's the sort of thing that sometimes makes a new coworker get a little too "comfortable" with expressing their views.

pigeon

Banned
HR exists for these things, despite what some people on GAF will tell you. Also I'd skip the whole 'talk to him' advice because a fragile white man could go to HR to report you first instead.

I have actually heard of this happening.

Go to HR, tell them this guy is making racial comments that make you uncomfortable. They immediately have serious legal responsibilities as soon as you say that.

The only reason I wouldn't do this is if I desperately needed a reference from this company. I don't even like writing that but capitalism is terrible.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Any time I've ever had that thought, it ended up being a precursor to bad shit.

Yep.

I try to solve workplace problems at the lowest level possible first (in this case pulling the dude aside and telling him to knock that shit off), but if that doesn't work, HR exists for a reason.

How's the overall mood and behavior at the office? Is it always casual with people cracking jokes?

That's the sort of thing that sometimes makes a new coworker get a little too "comfortable" with expressing their views.

My initial thought was to come to their defense and go "well, they're not that bad", but passive racism is still racism. Guess I'm just used to them after three years.

But now that I'm thinking back, there are some moments that hard to defend even from the people I like the most.

We were talking about Indian weddings at a team lunch once because someone was flying out to go to one. My boss loves the idea of wearing sarees and wanted to go to an Indian wedding so she could wear one (she clearly doesn't have Indian friends). One coworker suggested that we have a saree day in the office for social media. Another person pointed out that you can't do that while explaining cultural appropriation and then she came back with "well, no one has to know".

THE WORST moment was when my manager was asked why she didn't take her Hispanic husband's last name and then another guy "jokingly" said "because X name is lesser". We all kind of just awkwardly walked out of the hallway after that one. One girl was introducing her fiance to the office when that happened.

Damn, now that I'm typing these stories out (and there's plenty more), yeah they are awful. I kind of wrote it off as white people shit, but yeah, these are pretty bad. These aren't frequent, but I can name about 10 standout moments from the last three years.

pigeon

Banned
My initial thought was to come to their defense and go "well, they're not that bad", but passive racism is still racism. Guess I'm just used to them after three years.

But now that I'm thinking back, there are some moments that hard to defend even from the people I like the most.

We were talking about Indian weddings at a team lunch once because someone was flying out to go to one. My boss loves the idea of wearing sarees and wanted to go to an Indian wedding so she could wear one (she clearly doesn't have Indian friends). One coworker suggested that we have a saree day in the office for social media. Another person pointed out that you can't do that while explaining cultural appropriation and then she came back with "well, no one has to know".

THE WORST moment was when my manager was asked why she didn't take her Hispanic husband's last name and then another guy "jokingly" said "because X name is lesser". We all kind of just awkwardly walked out of the hallway after that one. One girl was introducing her fiance to the office when that happened.

Damn, now that I'm typing these stories out (and there's plenty more), yeah they are awful. I kind of wrote it off as white people shit, but yeah, these are pretty bad. These aren't frequent, but I can name about 10 standout moments from the last three years.

Okay, I changed my mind. Your workplace might be too racist for reporting racism to HR to be useful, unless you're in the mood for extended legal proceedings.

Lime

Go to HR and get people behind you to support you. Sorry to hear you have to go through this nonsense.

Although I hope the majority sees and support you.

Well, it's funny you ask OP. Cause I've been wondering the same.

My boss says racial stuff he thinks is funny. As do other folks in the IT dept. I'm the newest guy here (hired last november). So I'm not comfortable with everyone yet.

One guy was telling my direct co worker how dark he gets when he works outside and stuff. Then he look at me and says "you know a lot about that, hur hurr". I didn't know how to take it and my coworker's eyes got wide and was waiting for me to say something.

I didn't. And there's been other comments by other people. Snide/dry/ironic racial comments. I'm not sure where to pick my battles especially since they're paying me more than I've ever made as a Sys Admin. Idk

I live in the SC midlands btw. So maybe that's why.

Thinking back to last year when they approved of the Holidays the office will close for. I tried to push for MLK day, figured it would go better if I had support from my coworkers (some who I do consider friends), those fuckers just went "well, it'll sound better coming from you, so you don't need us". Completely left me hanging and it was never approved, but I was told if it really means that much to me, I should just use my PTO for it.

Okay ... so I've clearly had some sort of mental block here for the past three years. I was hoping to be out by the end of the year, but I'll try to find something new ASAP, no more excuses. Fuck this place.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking back to last year when they approved of the Holidays the office will close for. I tried to push for MLK day, figured it would go better if I had support from my coworkers (some who I do consider friends), those fuckers just went "well, it'll sound better coming from you, so you don't need us". Completely left me hanging and it was never approved, but I was told if it really means that much to me, I should just use my PTO for it.

Okay ... so I've clearly had some sort of mental block here for the past three years. I was hoping to be out by the end of the year, but I'll try to find something new ASAP, no more excuses. Fuck this place.

Right on. We're happy to give you any advice you like.

Definitely recommend reporting and documenting it (yourself as well) so you can have coverage. Please do this!

Jag

I run legal and HR reports in to me. If someone reported this shit, people would be losing jobs over it.

I was on an online meeting once and there was an asshole also named Kevin with the same last initial as mine.

Anyways, we were actually in a diversity training and the presenter was going over some slides relating to LGBT bathroom accommodations for trans people. This guy was making asinine comments about how you can never truly change gender and blah blah blah. The same BS arguments that he probably heard somewhere else. He's just contradicting the speaker as they went on and no one else was typing.

Because he had the same initials as me, eventually I just angrily responded to him and then let everyone know that it wasn't me and that I don't share his views. In a way I was forced to share my own views but it broke the ice and a lot of other people started chiming in and the asshole ended up getting in trouble.

You shouldn't have to be the one to say anything but if you do decide to, I'm hoping there will be people who have your back. You're putting up with a lot. The hand model comment would've made me explode.

I think its time for a new job op. No one should put up with that or feel like they have no support. Maybe before you go you should speak to your management and inform them of the subtle racism going on. Its not fair to you or anyone else who may be black hispanic or asian they may hire in the future.

The first one seems like a rather awkward misjudged joke but with no real intent behind it. The others are bit more troubling in my opinion.

I think its time for a new job op. No one should put up with that or feel like they have no support. Maybe before you go you should speak to your management and inform them of the subtle racism going on. Its not fair to you or anyone else who may be black hispanic or asian they may hire in the future.

You're right, but I'm one of four minorities here and somehow I'm the only one that takes issue with this. Two of them ignore it entirely (or are just around it less) and the other one is just as complicit.

I remember when someone who was mixed started here and everyone kept whispering "what is he?" "do you know?" "is he middle eastern?" his first few weeks.

It's like they HAD to place him somewhere in their minds.

You're right, but I'm one of four minorities here and somehow I'm the only one that takes issue with this. Two of them ignore it entirely (or are just around it less) and the other one is just as complicit.

I remember when someone who was mixed started here and everyone kept whispering "what is he?" "do you know?" "is he middle eastern?" his first few weeks.

It's like they HAD to place him somewhere in their minds.
You cant make people come forward when they are not comfortable to. But if you go to your bosses, inform them this is going on and it makes you uncomfortable, maybe they will look more into it and hopefully that encourages your co-workers to speak up and real change could then take place.

Depends how big your company is. If it's a large company, report to HR and if they don't do anything write an article (blog post?) about it so the company gets heat.

If you're at a small company...well I think you'd need to leave. HR might not even be interested in helping.

By reading through your post, it looks like you're at a small company with only 1 HR person? ;(

Hazmat

I'd talk to HR. It will probably feel shitty to do and when they talk to him he'll know it's you, but no one should have to put up with this. He clearly thinks there's nothing wrong, and he'll keep making comments like this. Everyone should just watch their mouth at work, and this might be this jerk's wake-up call.

HR immediately. Fuck a benefit of the doubt. I'd have done so at "Your hands are too black".

Document everything. Especially any retaliation. It's illegal. If it keeps on lawyer the fuck up.

Poppy

i would have been flipping my shit far earlier than this, jeeze

i dont even like being at work, the last thing im gonna do is let some fuckface run roughshod over my ability to have a safe environment to work in

If you work at a large corporation, talk to HR about it.

If it is a smaller company, might want to discuss this with your manager. This is one of those things where the employee should be pulled aside and get a talk about what is and isn't acceptable behavior. And if it continues there should be measures taken, because this is not the kind of stuff you want in the workplace.

That's so gross. I agree that you're not overthinking it, those comments are unacceptable. I would try politely letting him know that you find it offensive, usually people back off after hearing that. Although I think that with you taking to some other coworkers about it, he may already have heard.

But yeah, absolutely get management involved if that doesn't get better. That's disgusting and 100% racist.

Top Bottom