• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you guys like living away from home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb1234

I haven't lived with my mom in fourteen years but I'll be moving back in with her in a few months because disability isn't enough to cover the payments.

Because I'm such a private person who needs his space, I don't see this ending well. My mom means well but she can be overwhelming.

zoukka

A good portion of my classmates from high school still live at home, and we're all in our 20s, now. I'm a fairly quiet and private person, so I probably would have hated dorming in college.

Or you could've changed for the better! Who knows? Those who try.

Arjen

I love my partents to death, and my mum is the sweetest nicest person on the planet but i can't imagine living at home anymore. I try to visit at least once a month though, and we mail and talk on the phone a couple times a week.

LeleSocho

Banned
uuuh... I guess most of you have some kind of nazi parents or something because aside the freedom of having the house for yourself when you pick up girls et similia i don't see the advantages of being home.... alone.

It sucks, glad my college is only 30 minutes with the train so I don't have to live in a residence away from home. Our house is big, I live in a loft with my own bathroom and kitchen so its not bad having to live with my parents.

EVOL 100%

I'm 18, I have good relationships with every member of my family and I still can't wait to get the fuck out of here.

Maybe I'll feel differently when I actually leave, but as of now..

uuuh... I guess most of you have some kind of nazi parents or something because aside the freedom of having the house for yourself when you pick up girls et similia i don't see the advantages of being home.... alone.

It's not always about 'advantages'. Like xxracerxx said, they've done enough for you. Why not show them what you can do?

I'd kill to have lived in a dorm. Uni didn't have one. ><

Your own apartment is the way to go (shared or alone). Dorm life was insane (both good and bad).

Fjordson

Totally natural to miss your family and the comforts of living with them for a while. Eventually you'll start to feel better and really appreciate your independence.

Sucked big time for me at first since I was sort of lazy at home (no laundry, cooking, etc.) but it passes and you'll be glad to learn how to take care of yourself.

Since it sounds like you're close with your family, try to keep in touch every week. Whether it's email, something online like Facebook, or a phonecall. Making time to chat with my parents and my brother 2-3 times a week helped me out big time in the beginning.

In short: don't worry my man, things will get better.

Moved into Halls of Residence at the college I'm going to about 5 weeks ago. I'm absolutely loving it so far! The bed is way worse than the one at home, and the foods pretty bad, but other than that, FREEDOM!
I kind of have to get used to this anyway, cause the way my course works, I'm at college for 6 months, then at sea for approximately 6 months per year for the next 2-3 years. Looking forward to it so much!

man grow up. You miss your mum? Living by yourself is the mark of growing up and its fantastic. You are responsible for your own life and pay your own bills - i wouldnt have it any other way.

You sound really young and life is only going to get more difficult when you stand on your own two feet - but its also a lot more rewarding.

From Age 19-25 life can be tough as you are at uni or working in a lowish paying job. Things get easier around 30 when you are earning more and are well setup.

beje

Banned
I could never live at home again, I'd go crazy.

Living away from my parents is the best thing that ever happened to our relationship

Same here. My mom and I were on the verge of jumping to each other's throats for months, but things are much better since I moved out.

I plan on leaving home when I'm 26 or so. Probably rent the place where I'm living from my parents and pay them.

Last week I just read an article about people moving back to their parents homes due to the crisis. :p

yepyepyep

I'm living on my own for the first time while I'm on exchange. I love it, it's great to have my own privacy and follow my own schedule. Though back in Australia , it is quite common to still live at home while at uni due to unfeasible rent prices and a lack of a dormoritory culture that is as prevalent in other countries.

Conversely, I have no qualms about living at home. Me and my Dad are tight, yo! And due to the physical nature of his job and approaching age, it is likely he will be moving in with me when he retires.

Even though I wasn't really prepared to be self sufficient when I first moved out, I love it now. I would never live with my parents again, barring any sort of unforeseen circumstance.

I do wish they didn't live so far away though. (Not that they actually live that far away, just not in the city I'm in.) I would like to be able to see them more often.

I've gotten used to it. In my second year of University, and I'm only about 20 miles away from home. I can go back whenever I want, going back in about a week and a half actually. Thing is, you really appreciate your family's company more when you haven't seen them in a while. Your house looks like a freaking palace. Before I left, things were getting really tense with me and my Dad, but now we get on great.

And oh my god the food. By far the best thing about coming back from University. After months of eating nothing but noodles and poorly made lasagnes... my mother's cooking is like heaven on earth. I miss my parent's company and being a constant source of advice too. The worst part is probably being away from my three little brothers. After 18 years living in very close contact with them, it's very strange to be away from them for so long. They look older and older whenever I come back too... it's pretty creepy. So yeah. I do miss living at home. But the independence and self-satisfaction of living away and making your own life are certainly good too.

That said, I have one bitch of a cold right now and could really do with some of Mum's soup :(

Get a crock pot literally anyone can successfully cook with one. BOOM enjoy roasts on more than just Sundays

The problem I find with this is justifying buying a huge chicken for one person.

The problem I find with this is justifying buying a huge chicken for one person.

So don't buy a whole chicken... i usually buy 1-2 pound beef or pork roasts , eat heartily and have left overs for a few days

- and if you are doing chicken just use a couple breasts , typically the healthy chicken comes in smaller packages anyway( if you care about that sort of thing)

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I live 4'500 miles away from my parents, basically on the other side of the planet. It definitely sucks sometimes, mostly because I lose so much time with them, and they're not exactly young people anymore... feels bad man.

However, I would not want to live with my parents again. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but first off, I'm married, and second, even if I wasn't I'm so used to having private space it would bother me.

My dad is due to retire in the next couple of years, so hopefully I'll see them more often then, and when they come here they can stay for longer amounts of time.

GRIP

I'm 26, and for the first time in 7 years I'm back at my parents house. I really don't mind it at all. They give me A LOT of freedom, and the house is big enough that I don't constantly feel like my privacy is being invaded. Really, the only drawback is that I find myself questioning decisions that I would have previously not given a second thought to. Like going out in the middle of the night to meet up with friends. I actually think that's for the better, though.

The whole, "what if you wanna bring a girl back to your place" hasn't come up, mainly because the reason I left my old apartment was because my fiance and I broke up, and I'm just not at that point where I wanna pursue another relationship or even one night stands. I've been enjoying just hanging out with my friends and living a seemingly consequence free life.

Bloom

Banned
I live away from my native New Brunswick, in Toronto.

I miss living at my home, but there would be no purpose to go back there. One has to go where the opportunities are.

And I quite loved going to university and getting an apartment of my own. I was lonelier than I wished to be, but it felt like I finally came into being.

-Stranger-

I moved out from my dads house when i was 17 and got a place with my GF
We are still together and now have a kid together (I'm 23 now)

It would be strange to live with my dad/siblings again, don't think i could do it.
I've never experienced living truly out on my own, I've always had my GF with me.

boinx

I'm currently 20, i finished my school this year and i have been blessed with a nice job so i can save up money when i move out. Next year i have to go army and when i finish my service, (hopefully only 6 months) it's finally time to move out. Hopefully finding a new job or continuing at my last workplace won't be a difficult matter..

23 and still living at home. In my last year of uni, just don't have the funds to live on my own right now. Waiting lists for housing is pretty crazy as well. But when I'm done with uni next year I plan to move out the moment I have a stable job.

Magni

Ugh. I can't stand it. And my program at university is five years. Going to go insane. My mom has always done everything for me and I miss her. :( I miss my big cozy comfy warm room as well. The rooms at residence are so small and the beds here suck.

Do you guys like living away from home (or if you live in your own home, away from your parents/siblings)?

I love my parents and brother, but I was the happiest boy ever when I left home the summer of my 18th birthday. First went to school four hours away, then went and studied in Norway, I'm now doing an internship in New York across the ocean, and I'm currently applying for a program in South Korea for after this internship. (My family lives in Paris)

Makes it that much more awesome when I go see them or when they come see me. Being "independent" is awesome (just need to finish my degree and graduate to be fully independent, though to be fair I've been fairly self-subsistant this internship).

I lived nine hours away from my family for a couple of years. The distance wasn't the problem, as I'm a very independent person. (I love my parents dearly, but I'm not heavily dependent on them in any sense.) The main problem was that I lived in a city with a small airport that made flying home inconvenient and prohibitively expensive. So I was typically forced to drive, which was still pretty costly and even more inconvenient. I once went more than six months without seeing any members of my family, and that depressed the hell out of me.

Now, I'm living two hours from home, which is about perfect. They're close enough that I can get home relatively quickly in an emergency, but far enough away that I feel fully independent of them.

Wanace

I've lived on the other side of the world from my parents for 4.5 of the last 5 years.

I miss them and often contemplate going back home but honestly I'd just be a sponge and be miserable with no social life if I did.

woolley

I love it. Living at home just feels too stressful to me and being away from home allows me to focus on myself instead of worrying about everyone else.

I'm able to do what I want when I live at home so I didn't feel more free in that way but that there is just a weight lifted off my shoulder. I don't look forward to the breaks between semesters.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Moving out (was single at the time) felt weird for a month or two but I adjusted pretty quickly. I've always been pretty independent but I admit I missed the constant companionship that family provided for awhile. Coming home to an empty place took some getting used to.

Rad-

Reading some of these posts makes me appreciate my awesome mom more. I never had a fight with her, we got along very well.

That said, I would never move back home. There's just that freedom about living on your own.

I do miss the food though. I eat a lot more junk food nowadays because I'm not always that bothered to cook or wash the dishes.

i really need to move out so that i can learn to survive on my own.. right now im unemployed though

i definitely take advantage of the cooking, laundry, not worrying about rent

ive developed some bad habits.. lack of responsibility, poor work ethic, and general laziness

i would definitely miss my mom though, im not ashamed to admit. shes my best friend and the only family i have. me moving out means she would be living alone too, which is sad to think about.

Machine

When I graduated high school, I couldn't wait to get out of the house. My parents tried to get me to go to a college in my hometown and I wanted to go out of state. We ended up compromising and I went to a school about an hour away. While in college, I spent the first few summers at home. I also lived at home for about a year after I graduated until I found a decent roommate to share expenses with but then I left and never looked back.

I've also never asked my parents for any help. Turns out they have had to offer financial assistance to all three of my siblings at various times. They ended up feeling guilty about that and recently gifted me some money. I tried to tell them to keep it since they are on a fixed income but they wouldn't listen.

Magni

When I graduated high school, I couldn't wait to get out of the house. My parents tried to get me to go to a college in my hometown and I wanted to go out of state. We ended up compromising and I went to a school about an hour away. While in college, I spent the first few summers at home. I also lived at home for about a year after I graduated until I found a decent roommate to share expenses with but then I left and never looked back.

I've also never asked my parents for any help. Turns out they have had to offer financial assistance to all three of my siblings at various times. They ended up feeling guilty about that and recently gifted me some money. I tried to tell them to keep it since they are on a fixed income but they wouldn't listen.

Take the money. Take care of them in a few years (hopefully not too few).

Valnen

man grow up. You miss your mum? Living by yourself is the mark of growing up and its fantastic.

This is what society says but it's not true for everyone. I'd still be living with my mom if she wasn't dead. In the years I've been out on my own I can't think of a single moment I've felt better about myself. If anything it just makes you look at the world with more disdain.

paparazzo

Can we switch, OP? I probably would have been kinda scared at your age too (17 iirc?) but now at 22, I cannot get out of my parent's house soon enough and have felt this way for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom