• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you guys like living away from home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

It's basically the best thing ever. The year and a half I spent living back at home after I graduated college were awful. My parents and I really butted heads since I was used to my independence and they were still thinking of me as a child.

megamerican

During most of the year my mom is gone from 6AM to 9PM. It's virtually like living alone most of the time. And even when she's here we have a big house for two people. Also we usually get along. I pay for stuff like groceries and our cable/internet/phone. I do the lawn work she can't really do. On my block there is about ten or so twenty somethings that are still living at home. Only one has moved out.

Could I pay a grand a month to have a shithole apartment and lose the "stigma" of living at home? Sure. Is it worth it? For me, not really.

ATF487

I have never felt homesick. The closest thing is on vacations when I'm tired of hopping from place to place, but it's more of a desire to have somewhere to settle down rather than to see my family.

If my background check ever goes through, I can finally stop depending on my parents and I can't wait. I appreciate everything they've done for me but I need to get away

When I moved to the dorms, it was pretty bad at first. I eventually got used to it, but I still much preferred living at home and looked forward to going home every weekend. Once I got to the apartments, it got worse and I started going home on Thursdays since I had no class on Friday.

It wasn't that I was being taken care of or anything. Hell, I did all my own cooking and laundry and all that stuff. It was just nice to have that sense of security and some absolutely awesome parents that you can talk with about almost everything. No trust issues, no lack of privacy, not really many negatives at all, at least not the ones people have been listing here.

I'm now 25, have graduated college, work for my dad's business and aren't in any rush to move out (though I have been looking). Seeing some of the responses in this thread, I guess I should consider myself lucky. I have enough money to learn to be independent at my own pace and a great family (minus a bitch sister) to push me toward things I want to do where I actually have been making progress.

I love having my own place. Nice to be able to have friends over whenever I please, walk around half naked, do what ya feel like doing, etc. That said I do miss the folks from time to time and I love going to see them. I just don't want to live with them.

It gets easier living without your family. Once you start developing your own routines and making friends its wonderful. It can take a little time though. When I first moved off to college I was home almost every weekend (lived 2 hours away). Not only to see my family but my friends too, since i didnt know anyone in my then new town. Now I pretty much only go down for holidays, birthdays, etc. My tip for homesickness (besides simply going there) is to call. It really can help to just catch up and hear familiar voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom