• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does the Anju & Kafei quest in Majora's Mask hold up against today's side quests?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Event12.jpg

I still think it's one of, if not the BEST side quests ever in a game. Despite the fact that nearly all completely nonlinear games these days have some number of side quests, I find it amazing that the Anju & Kafei quest, even with limited assets at its disposal, continues to be one of the most intricate, expansive, and involved. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's so memorable. I can't really recall any standout quests from the Grand Theft Auto series, the Elder Scrolls series, the Fallout series--whatever--that weren't main quests.

The reason why it's so memorable is because it's so rewarding. The quest can still be a pain in the ass to complete if you're not absolutely on top of all the events (both time and place), so when you do in fact reunite the two, it's a sigh of relief almost thanks to the arduous journey.

Of course, the real tragedy here is that you have to revert time since you have less than an hour left until the moon plummets into Termina and kills everyone, and all your efforts were for naught. There's something to say about a game that makes you run the timer down just so you can save this special moment for these two characters for as long as possible.

The mood at the end is only accentuated by the remarkable Final Hours piece from the game's soundtrack. It's terrifying, yet at the same time sublime.

PK Gaming

Yes.

It goes without saying really, its the #1 definitive Zelda sidequest of all time. As a kid, I spent a LONG time trying to finish it (didn't have a guide) when I finally pulled it off one Saturday morning with some luck... that was the greatest feeling ever.

thefil

I just beat Majora's Mask for the first time, and I managed to finish this quest.

I think what makes it so compelling is that it's non-obvious, so you actually have to figure out what to do, which is always rewarding. Second, it's the most significant non-required action in the game. The scale compared to the traditional sidequest is significant. Finally, because Zelda in general doesn't fall back on combat, pretty much any sequence feels uniquely crafted (at least within the realm of one Zelda game).

So yeah, pretty great.

Madao

this sidequest was quite complex to figure out.
it was the last one i did back in the day.

there's no sidequest that compares in any of the following zeldas.

Persona7

Banned
this sidequest was quite complex to figure out.
it was the last one i did back in the day.

there's no sidequest that compares in any of the following zeldas.

Yeah, Majora's Mask continues to be the only zelda game that I ever needed a guide for. It actually enhanced the experience.

I have a few other zelda guides, but I don't need them.

Anth0ny

Yeah, Majora's Mask continues to be the only zelda game that I ever needed a guide for. It actually enhanced the experience.

I have a few other zelda guides, but I don't need them.

I'll admit I needed the guide for Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time for a few parts. Didn't tarnish the experience at all. My top 3 Zelda games right there.

But never for TP or SS. Those games were so damn straightforward.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
After having replayed the game last summer in anticipation of Skyward Sword, I have no doubts that this is one of the best and most endearing sidequests I've undertaken.

The game doesn't hold your hand with it, either, so you have to figure out everything on your own (if you're not using a FAQ), so taking into account a lot of people's movements throughout the day is a nice way to experience the quest system of the game in general (especially since the big test is the Kafei/Anju sidequest).

And the writing and overall mood of the sidequest--especially towards the end during the final hours--is very good.

I think the reason it works so well is because of two things: 1. they constantly dangle the quest in front of you for a long time 2. We get really invested in the characters and their situation.

From early on, you see Kafei slip off behind the door and hide any time someone gets too close. Who is this mystery figure? Anju is always sad looking, going to check mail, and being talked to by her family. Not to mention the number of times people will casually bring the two up in conversation. It really helps to build up interest.

Since you really have to wait a while before being able to complete the quest, you keep running into dead-ends or flubbing it. For me, that just made ne want to fix their problems even more.

Not to mention the quest and writing itself are really, really good.

Most games (Majora's Mask included) seem to have no problems introducing a quest that you have to put minimal effort into to complete. I don't think that every quest should be as drawn out or involed as the couple's mask, but the ratio of quests in that vein to standard fetch quests isn't quite where I would like it to be.

Nibel

My favourite sub-quest in the Zelda universe.

One word describes it perfect: unforgettable. When I think about MM, I think about this one. When I think about sidequests in general, I think about this one.

MrOogieBoogie

My favourite sub-quest in the Zelda universe.

One word describes it perfect: unforgettable. When I think about MM, I think about this one. When I think about sidequests in general, I think about this one.

Pretty much. Glad someone else shares my sentiments.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i've finished MM two or three times. never completed this side quest once, or bothered to try and delve into the bomber's notebook.

It's the most memorable, but the rest is also great and has yet to be beaten. Game is not about rushing through a couple of temples, but getting absorbed into this depressing world and get to know its people. The different quests also happen to be very diverse gameplay-wise.

Best Zelda game.

Poyunch

i've finished MM two or three times. never completed this side quest once, or bothered to try and delve into the bomber's notebook.

How could you find the game appealing at all without it? It's about 60% why this game is awesome.

Jackano

I absolutely love this sidequest, but I have to say, there is something in its design thats is a shame. As a kid, I spent hours in this sidequest. Why? Because you have to be near the end of the game to ba able to clear it. Of course there is some rewards on the way but still, figuring the quest out is a waste of time during most of your playtime if you don't know if you can do it in advance.

To answer the OP, I don't know for other games, but you just look at Skyward Sword sidequests, which are just flying to point A, recover an item thanks to Fy, and returning to Skyloft. Ridiculous. MM was good Aonuma, but now...

Guevara

In terms of interested side quests from today, I really liked the Petrus and Rhea of Thorolund story in Dark Souls. I was pretty pissed at what happened to be honest, and I plan on murdering someone in NG+. None of the NPC story arcs are as complicated as in MM of course, but I did find some of them affecting. They also go a long way to set the mood of the game.

MrOogieBoogie

I absolutely love this sidequest, but I have to say, there is something in its design thats is a shame. As a kid, I spent hours in this sidequest. Why? Because you have to be near the end of the game to ba able to clear it. Of course there is some rewards on the way but still, figuring the quest out is a waste of time during most of your playtime if you don't know if you can do it in advance.

To answer the OP, I don't know for other games, but you just look at Skyward Sword sidequests, which are just flying to point A, recover an item thanks to Fy, and returning to Skyloft. Ridiculous. MM was good Aonuma, but now...

That's what I mean. I can't really think of any other side quests in any other games that are as involved. Hell, I can't think of any quests PERIOD that are as involved when it comes to coordinating time and location like this one. Like I said, it's easy to miss a date and screw up the entire thing.

jbueno

Today´s sidequests don´t hold up against it, IMO of course.

The bomber´s notebook was the best part of the game. You should seriously consider delving into it the next time you play.

ronito

This is the main great sidequest but there were tons of others. Like the music box house father/daughter. Man that was really powerful. Majora's mask really is one of the best games ever.

Guevara

This is the main great sidequest but there were tons of others. Like the music box house father/daughter. Man that was really powerful. Majora's mask really is one of the best games ever.

I forgot about that one. It was awesome and the reward was cool too.

Levyne

Banned

Good section, but required I believe.

I literally can not think of anything close. Lair of the shadow broker maybe but being DLC really puts a damper on that.

Derrick01

Banned
I remember it being confusing as shit without a guide, because of how complex it was. Then again I was like 13 when this came out.

Best Zelda ever though.

extralite

MM was the best 3D Zelda for sure. It reduced the usual amount of dungeons and thus the whole action part of the adventure by half but introduced this town/personal life of the NPCs side, kind of expanding on the trading sidequest from Link's Awakening, the best Zelda period.

You people would have liked Captain Rainbow. It's like MM without the dungeons entirely, only coordinating daily routines of the island dwellers and exploring their stories and hopes/wishes.

Since you have to start over when you mess up a daily opportunity, the feeling of accomplishment is similar in some of the characters' stories in Captain Rainbow, although none quite as demanding as the Anju x Kafei one. I think I messed up the final part of that one at least three times.

Levyne

Banned
I also remember having to do most of it twice because of the different rewards for the final letter (iirc, either delivering it yourself or letting the postman do it).

Wizpig

Twilight Princess' sidequests are far superior.

OH WAIT IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY!

*sigh* Aonuma
*sigh* Zelda Team

The N64 era of Zelda is probably the pinnacle of gaming.

Levyne

Banned
Twilight Princess' sidequests are far superior.

OH WAIT IT DOESN'T HAVE ANY!

*sigh* Aonuma
*sigh* Zelda Team

The N64 era of Zelda is probably the pinnacle of gaming.

It has the usual collectibles and fixing the bridge thing...

:(

I think the reason it works so well is because of two things: 1. they constantly dangle the quest in front of you for a long time 2. We get really invested in the characters and their situation.

This FFS.
Since the beginning of the game I wanted to do this quest... but you can't finish it until you beated the 2nd or 3rd dungeon, I don't remember quite well.
But every time I beated a dungeon or got a new item, I tried to do it.

And on top of that, the ending of the quest... If I remember correctly, it is implied that they have sex, right? I mean, while Kafei is still a kid.

Top Bottom