• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does the Anju & Kafei quest in Majora's Mask hold up against today's side quests?

The Boat

Amazing sidequest, amazing game.
Still don't understand how people compare the sidequests from main quest centric games like SS or TP to MM's sidequests, which are the game's focus though.

I've been feeling like replaying it, but I'm waiting for the inevitable remake/enhanced port.

Heropon

I bought this game in the Virtual Console last year when I was lurking because most people said how wonderful it was. They were so right.

About this quest, I loved it. All those hints early in the game, all those frustrated attempts until I got the hookshot...

The mask system was one pretty good form of making rewarding sidequests, and I'd love a similar form of giving rewards in future Zelda games.

Yes! this one!. I mean, c'mon... they were just subtle about it.

Oh shit, it WAS five minutes not an hour, wasn't it?

Dammit.

5 minutes in real time. But as BHZ mentions it, I think that the timer running is actually 5 hours in game time, as you can see the sun rising while the moon is falling.
Sorry but it's been awhile since I last played it. I hope someone can clarify this point.

Pyrrhus

But they have like 5 minutes left... And I remember something on the dialog that it implied that.

What? No. They were going to face extinction together. It was supposed to be something sweet and sad that transcended physical love.

And on topic, it's still pretty good. It's the focal point of the game, really.

CorvoSol

i've finished MM two or three times. never completed this side quest once, or bothered to try and delve into the bomber's notebook.

So you've never actually finished Majora's Mask, then? I mean, what is the ending of the game even like without finishing the Bomber's notebook? I've never done it that way.

Seriously, though, the Anju and Kafei quest is the single best sidequest I can think of in the history of games. It was touching, it lasted the whole game, there was a reason to redo it, and it actually had 1) a reward that was ultimately important (since you can't get the Infinity Plus One Mask without doing it) and 2) it had an effect on the ending of the game.

The only game I can even think of that does something like this is Radiant Historia, and the wretched time travel system in that game makes doing those sidequests far less enjoyable than this one.

OH WHAT. No, no, and no. They were going to die together. What "they had sex!" is this nonsense. There's like, not even an hour left till the city is destroyed. Who would be thinking of sex in a moment like that?

Bagu

OH WHAT. No, no, and no. They were going to die together. What "they had sex!" is this nonsense. There's like, not even an hour left till the city is destroyed. Who would be thinking of sex in a moment like that?
Still need to consummate the marriage.

I think other games usually weigh all the emotion into the main plot.

The thing about Majora's Mask's sidequest is that some of them delved into more human matters than the main quest would allow, making them closer to home and ultimately profoundly poignant.

Its definitely not nostalgia. Majoras Mask was structurally the best Zelda ever created and its most unique. Its a shame the shills could not wrap their tiny minds around this game when it was released, and as years pass, their fallacy becomes more and more evident.

Anjus and Kafeis quest was the pinnacle, but don't forget this game had tons of great moments, littered withe great time/day/procedural quests. The Ranch side-quest anyone? And the mere fact you were basically wearing the dead face of the Zora guitar player. Its just too many to name.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Playing Skyward Sword has only reinforced the notion that Majora's Mask continues to reign supreme among Zelda games when it comes to NPC interactions and stories. Nothing compares to the unique identity of Clocktown and its memorable inhabitants.

Top Bottom