• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does the Xbox One dedicated cloud servers work for game hosting exactly?

They say that if I'm playing lets say Battlefield 4 and I start a new server it will start one up on a cloud server close to me.

My question is where are all the files for said servers held? At every cloud facility is there a master set of files that it can send out to the server blade that is specifically hosting my server?

Or is it sent from some other facility that hosts these files and its sent from wherever that is to the facility/blade close to me and bandwidth between these facilities so high that it just seems near instant to me?

MysteryM

I'm assuming than the server equivalent of the game code is already on the server. After a set of players is matched together, the game is spun up on a server with the best proximity (and server load balancing etc) to the selected players. Therefore matchmaking is done one one server and the game farmed out to another. That's pure speculation on my part.

mr_toa

A server instance spawned from a locally available, virtualized image would be both quick and easy to scale.

satam55

Banned
They say that if I'm playing lets say Battlefield 4 and I start a new server it will start one up on a cloud server close to me.

My question is where are all the files for said servers held? At every cloud facility is there a master set of files that it can send out to the server blade that is specifically hosting my server?

Or is it sent from some other facility that hosts these files and its sent from wherever that is to the facility/blade close to me and bandwidth between these facilities so high that it just seems near instant to me?

As far we know know, Battlefield 4 (and other EA games except for "Titanfall") aren't using Windows Azure, so that's not a good example.

SHADES

As far we know know, Battlefield 4 (and other EA games except for "Titanfall") aren't using Windows Azure, so that's not a good example.

Not forgetting before long we'll have rent a server again(iirc BF3 euro/console servers were based in Holland, so most likely EA will be using the same server farms.)

Nothing really matters I'm just interested in the tech behind it.
In that case, I presume they have VMs which auto-deploy based on load, and the VMs have a server client capable of running multiple instances, much like with traditional PC game servers.

Obviously there will only be server farms in certain locations, and it's trivial to find out which is the closest. However what's more difficult is finding out the closest server to all players in a match. Though not exactly rocket science.

dt110107dhct.jpg

Top Bottom