• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How educated is GAF? What is your highest level of education obtained?

What is your highest level of education?

• PhD

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Master's

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Bachelor's

Votes: 65 43.0%
  • Associate

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Highschool/GED

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Trade School

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Fuck school, Flat Earth for life baby!

Votes: 13 8.6%

• Total voters
It's a different system where I'm from.
You have 8 years of school. After that you have to choose what field you want. Then you go to school for another 4 years (highschool) in that field you chose. After that you can go working or continue education ie go to college.
I went into lineman school and my trade is electrician/distribution lineman. I worked as an electrician for a bit, then I got into security and worked as a technician. I'm still in that field. I also have certifications as a welder (acetilene/oxygen), security technician and solar panel technician.
I'm trying to get into this local distribution company, I'm interested in that.
So my level of education is high school, I guess.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's a different system where I'm from.
You have 8 years of school. After that you have to choose what field you want. Then you go to school for another 4 years (highschool) in that field you chose. After that you can go working or continue education ie go to college.
I went into lineman school and my trade is electrician/distribution lineman. I worked as an electrician for a bit, then I got into security and worked as a technician. I'm still in that field. I also have certifications as a welder (acetilene/oxygen), security technician and solar panel technician.
I'm trying to get into this local distribution company, I'm interested in that.
So my level of education is high school, I guess.
Wouldn't that be trade school? So high school and then going to a special school to learn a job at a non-academic level?

Wouldn't that be trade school? So high school and then going to a special school to learn a job at a non-academic level?
When you finish those mandatory 8 grades of school you have a choice. You can either go into trade schools or gymnasiums. They both last 4 years.
I also had history, arts, language, science, biology in my trade school. It's a different system.
But it's generally thought of like this. It's expected that you go to college after you finish gymnasium.
It's not expected that you go to college when you finish trade school. But you can if you want to.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

So you don't need any expertise in any sort of a medical field?

No, you do need expertise, but my expertise has come from a decade of experience on the job. My laughable English degree got me in the door making $12/hr writing reports right out of college. Ten years later I am where I am because of the experience and work. Except for very specialized stuff, most of the education you’ll get comes after college...though if I had to do it all over again I’d go for a biomedical engineering degree.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Bachelor's, and it was a colossal waste of time considering I learned more on the job in 2 weeks (programmer) than I did in 3 years of Uni.

It's literally just a £9000 piece of paper that helps you get your foot in the door.

Quasicat

For a couple of years, my state department of Education required a Master’s degree...so I got that. Now the state says that was overkill. I make a pretty good living as a teacher, but when friends or family with a high school diploma compare their income with mine, it’s pretty sad.

Tesseract

Banned
For a couple of years, my state department of Education required a Master’s degree...so I got that. Now the state says that was overkill. I make a pretty good living as a teacher, but when friends or family with a high school diploma compare their income with mine, it’s pretty sad.

the state does that shit all the time

Son Tofu

Banned
HVAC/Plumbing trade school and a Bachelors in management with a minor in marketing.

The certs I got from trade school have been FAR more beneficial in my career.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Have a Master Degree in English Literature and over the past twenty years I have done via night courses and have Bachelor Degrees in Business Management, Digital Marketing and Logistics Management, I am currently in process of getting a degree in Human Resource management.

Barnabot

"i have double major in gender studies" you suckers.

throw you university degrees in the bin 'cause i'm your new overlord.

Last edited:
always considered masters/phd but my career doesnt really dictate the need for it. I am however interested in getting more schooling once my kids are adults.

appaws

Banned
BA and MA in history
ABD in American History, African American History, and American Religion. Passed doctoral exams in all 3, but then bailed and went to Law School. Got my JD. University of Kentucky. Bo Big Blue!!!

I have a half done doctoral dissertation on the Civil Rights Movement in West Michigan....and I have, until recently, kept in touch with my committee and thought of finishing it up. But fuck, I'm 45 and would rather use my free time leveling guys to 999 in Disgaea and collecting old film cameras than writing.

12ede7392c2886a0d1356c3bd300af8f.jpg

I'm sure some get the reference, lol.

...maybe not. :p

Interesting where do you live?

TindalosPup

My education is a combination of three choices, my high school was vocational, so I graduated with my diploma and a certification in Environmental Science, to gauge a little more of my education I also took Advanced Placement in high school. so I technically started college early. I took a break for 4 years (my family started dropping like flies) and now I'll be graduating next year with a Bachelors in Natural Resources and Conservation. But for now all I have to show is my HS Diploma (my voke certification doesn't really count for a whole lot because continued education is mandatory)

If I get my way, I'll be attending the Ranger Academy to become a Park Ranger or Game Warden in the next year or two c:

My brother has a master’s degree from Yale, I dropped out of a local state college after a little over 3 semesters.

I’m the disappointing one, but it’s cool. I came to terms with that long ago.

I’ve enjoyed working with students and young athletes most of my adult life, even if just for an hourly wage.

My brother has a master’s degree from Yale, I dropped out of a local state college after a little over 3 semesters.

I’m the disappointing one, but it’s cool. I came to terms with that long ago.

I’ve enjoyed working with students and young athletes most of my adult life, even if just for an hourly wage.
What do you do?

Top Bottom