• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How educated is GAF? What is your highest level of education obtained?

What is your highest level of education?

• PhD

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Master's

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Bachelor's

Votes: 65 43.0%
  • Associate

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Highschool/GED

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Trade School

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Fuck school, Flat Earth for life baby!

Votes: 13 8.6%

• Total voters

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just what I wanted to hear. The only worry for me is the bullshit math courses on the way, lol.

Yeah, that's what a lot of students dread (the math subjects) but in my work practice (systems and DB), I don't use calculus or trigonometry, just basic Algebra... Multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, and sometimes modulo. If you're gonna go game dev, you definitely need advanced math.

YukiOnna

Yeah, that's what a lot of students dread (the math subjects) but in my work practice (systems and DB), I don't use calculus or trigonometry, just basic Algebra... Multiplication, division, addition, subtraction, and sometimes modulo. If you're gonna go game dev, you definitely need advanced math.
I'm fine as long as I learn it along the way and get the chance to drill it into my head. I hear a lot of mixed responses... my friend who was at IBM said there's little to no math in what he did, however it was repetitive.

I'm not sure if I want to do specifically game development, but work at a game company itself at least. :p

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm fine as long as I learn it along the way and get the chance to drill it into my head. I hear a lot of mixed responses... my friend who was at IBM said there's little to no math in what he did, however it was repetitive.

I'm not sure if I want to do specifically game development, but work at a game company itself at least. :p

I'm sure you'll get by the math part. Just keep on practicin'.

Game development requires a lot of overtime from what I know. In fact being a developer requires overtime (fortunately I don't practice it and I can easily do it at home). I learned game development is one of the harder types of programming due to 3D and AI.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
Bachelors Degree in Political Science with Pre Law minor.

Masters in Business Administration in progress and I have been accepted to University of Louisville Law School which I’ll attend when my MBA is done.

YukiOnna

I'm sure you'll get by the math part. Just keep on practicin'.

Game development requires a lot of overtime from what I know. In fact being a developer requires overtime (fortunately I don't practice it and I can easily do it at home). I learned game development is one of the harder types of programming due to 3D and AI.
Yeah, I don't think I'd go for that stream regardless and something that has more general use. Thanks for the input!

ULTROS!

Like they say: liking videogames =/= liking videogame development

I met a lot of people who went into computer science because they liked video games, only to bail out the course after the first few semesters.

YukiOnna

I met a lot of people who went into computer science because they liked video games, only to bail out the course after the first few semesters.
Yeah, I don't want that to happen at all. Also, I think just focusing on that in your major is a death wish job wise. You can do so much more at any company and those are the real jobs in demand.

Sakura

That’s about a average month for most, try owning your own business, I’d regularly work double that a month and never missed a day of work ....ever.
Sick time....what’s that
Holidays off....lol
Paid Vacation....are you nuts
Owning your own business is both a blessing and a curse.
Well yeah, except you know, I'm also tryin to go to school full time.
200 hours on its own isn't a big deal.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I dropped out of Highschool then a few years later got my GED.
I've got into a trade and every few years go to a training school program and up bump it up.

Right now I guess my education is..

Boiler Operator-Waste Water Treatment-Non-Toxic Refrigerant-HVAC(R)-A+/NetWork+MCP

All in all, cost me maybe $15-20k over 20 years.
This summer I'm gonna do High Pressure course+Externship for around $4000. I did Non-Toxic for $900 last year.
Next year move up to Blue/Red with boilers.

I think I make more then most people I know with college degrees..
But most of them work Mon-Fri 9 to 5..
They get the luxury of having nice work clothes, watching TV at night, climate control enviroments..

Last edited by a moderator:

D-Dude

Got my bachelor degree in healthcare (social care).
I work with special needs children and adults, I have a specialized field in Autism and following a course for automutalation now.

MastAndo

Bachelor's in Computer Science. It was from a prestigious university, but the curriculum sucked - I ended up hating programming, and once I graduated, the thought of ever sitting in another classroom again made me nauseous. No more school for me ever. Fortunately, I landed a decent IT job a few months out of college and have been there ever since.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Bachelor's degree in film and media since 2012.

And I can somewhat relate to this:

Odd jobs and projects here and there, a bit of something every year, but zero stable jobs for eight years now. I'm ok with that though.
Interesting stuff. What kind of jobs do you normally take? There's a guy I know who does what you do I think, lighting and other random film related stuff for certain projects. In his line of work, shows

Airola

Interesting stuff. What kind of jobs do you normally take? There's a guy I know who does what you do I think, lighting and other random film related stuff for certain projects. In his line of work, shows

Mostly editing related stuff. I do some filming too but I've grown to dislike that quite a bit since I have zero interest in updating equipment which seems to be very important in these circles. It's all about getting the latest lenses and whatever and I just don't care for that at all. Editing and things related to that is the main thing for me.

For how much I like games you would think I would want to make them but screw that man I don’t want to deal with computers and coding. I’m just happy playing them :)

W8nPHj1.png

Bachelors in Structural Engineering and an Associates in Welding. Don't use either of them but they did provide enough money to jump start my business.

Blond

Banned
Does it count if my bachlors is in progress?

Also, considering the complexity of the arguments here I'm not surprised how many people have some kind of degree here. Nice!

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Nursing. I'm just using my associates at work now, so I know how you feel.

But I can write unbelievably polished emails and forum posts if I want to! So the other degrees aren't a complete waste.

Are you in the KC area? Are you doing an accelerated nursing program?

deafmedal

I graduated from high school then learned a trade on the job- no formal school but I am licensed and would give most electricians a run for their money in practical knowledge. The money where I live was decent after 10 or so years (non-union, smaller market/companies).

I used my 20+ years experience to change careers and it has been very positive (money, benefit and physicality-wise) but we are planning to move to the west coast in a few years. Depending on my wife’s business will determine if I start helping her or move back to electrical work as I doubt my current company can match how much I will need to live out there and how much I’ll be able to make as a union electrician out there. For instance, a union electrician starts off around $50 an hour in Seattle.

I asked my department manager if I would be able to transfer to the west coast and get a cost of living increase and he laughed 😒 No way I can afford to live out there on what I make/will be making in our timeframe.

Hinedorf

Banned
AA in networking technology and it got my foot in the door with a PACS company that's kept me in the same building since 2005 even after a couple buyouts.

eot

Banned
Currently working on my PhD in physics, have a Master's.

Hope to be done within one year.

I wish :messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

Chromata

Just finished my bachelors in biology, currently interviewing at a few medical schools. If I get in, that's my next step.

Excited, but also quite nervous.

Top Bottom