• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How excited / optimistic are you for the next two years of videogames?

Are you optimistic about the next ~24 months in videogames?

• 5 - Ecstatic. Really interested in seeing what's nearing release.

• 4 - Positive. I'll keep my expectations in check but I'm generally interested.

• 3 - Neutral.

• 2 - Negative. I still enjoy the hobby but the industries direction doesn't appeal to me.

• 1 - Morose. There's a chance I'm out of the hobby in 2 years.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just wanted to check the pulse here. Does the videogame industry still capture you like it did in your youth? Where are you at in terms of excitement levels over the next couple of years here?

(Every good thread has a visual element)
hideo-kojima-od.gif

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Its bleak.

If it wasn't for GTA 6, I'd have not a single announced game im looking forward to other than that and Wolverine in the next 2 years.

Everything I am looking forward to simply hasnt been announced/shown off yet - So they do not count.

1.5 right now.

Could go up to 4 IF they are shown and look next gen and are not GAAS trash

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Neutral. Because I apply critical thinking or only buy games I want with high replay value. Which will be less since the overall quality of games has gone down quite a bit and it's only standout Indie devs that primarily draw my interest these days.

And all the good games are mostly Eastern developed games. Western gaming is terrible.

cormack12

Gold Member
I still think decent games are being made but I'm finding myself less and less having a reason to buy day one. And I was one of the market who would buy anything immediately that looked good.

This has happened over the last year really. The games I have bought have just had so much superfluous crap in that get in the way or are just not enjoyable.

I just dunno if I'll ever get that buzz the first time I booted up doom. Or if I'll ever be able to sit there for hours like on Top Spin 2 or PGR.

Now I'm just playing co-op games that go to gamepass, drop in games like Diablo, or highly acclaimed games. But generally I'm looking back over the last few years to catchup on titles I want to play now and missed first time round.

I don't think I'll catch up to the next two years for about 2 years at this rate but everything announced thus far (except gta vi) is just in the list to play at some point.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Went with positive. I’m super excited for the next Nintendo system, but I also don’t really know what their new president have planned in the future and things could go sideways quick.

I’m also not a fan of Sony’s GAAS push, but if there’s a company that can get me on board it’s probably them. So I’m still optimistic.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm ambivalent. If something comes out that interests me I'll buy it. I don't have the energy to dwell on it at the moment.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I am more hyped by hardware than games at the moment. The PS5 Pro, the Switch successor and even Xbox rumored handheld will need games to sell and I hope that some of them will be to my liking, like Death Stranding 2 may be a PS5 Pro showcase. By 2027 we will be talking about the PS6 and Xbox next gen, unless they move faster than that fi the rumors are true.

Griffon

Positive. Great games keep coming every month. Indies are getting a fuckton better as time goes on, and I expect that trend to continue. And Japanese publishers are still doing a solid job (Nintendo, FROM, Atlus, Sega, Capcom, Square Enix, etc.).

Yeah, we're good. Americain AAAs are collapsing, but then again who gives a shit about those fucks and their DEI virus. I say die faster and let new smaller studios take over.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

At this point I'm convinced that only people who exclusively play AAA western games are concerned about the industry, I've said it before here at GAF but I'll say it again "you guys seriously need to broaden the type of games you play" Indies and Asian devs have been releasing bangers in the recent years, so overall I'm optimistic especially when Nintendo is literally about to release a new console.

Banjo64

cumsessed
New Nintendo console.

Hades 2 and No Rest For the Wicked will see full releases on console.

Chance of a new From Software game.

New Nintendo games including Metroid Prime 4 and a new 3D Mario.

High chance we see updates from at least one of Playtonic Games or Gears for Breakfast.

I went with 4. Exciting times.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

AAA and western games have almost completely gone to shit this generation. So many formerly great studios are making safe formulaic crap or woke garbage.

It’s depressing, we have RTX 5000 series coming this year but I don’t know of any games that would make the upgrade worthwhile for me.

I’m mostly excited for Switch 2, and Ys X and Visions of Mana. But going by already announced games, the next couple years are looking pretty sparse for me.

Fredrik

I’m currently playing Hellblade 2, first AAA UE5 game for me, and it looks absolutely INSANE! And UE5 games are coming in droves going forward so for graphics I’m super excited for the future. Hoping we’ll see something from the next Gears game in the June event.

But online gaming is becoming popular and I have zero interest in that, so I’m slightly concerned over that.

Also, longer dev times means we’ll just get one or possibly 2 games from the same team over a decade.

Last edited:
It's going to be awesome! Switch 2, the 3D Mario team is going to show us what they've been up to. Metroid Prime 4 on the way from Retro. Silksong is just around the corner. Open world style Monster Hunter Wilds. Resident Evil 9 is coming! Hades 2 this year. I gotta imagine Sabotage will be finishing the Sea of Stars DLC (Throes of the Watchmaker) in a year or two as well. And that's just the stuff we know about right now, there is going to be plenty of new announcements and there is always the few games that seemingly come out of nowhere and end up as big hits.

I have no idea how you can be negative about what's coming.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Interesting poll results considering my perception of NeoGAFs general gaming negativity.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If the switch successor can see as much as the switch that would be good. Otherwise enjoying my switch and looking forward to getting some third party’s games for cheap once the successor comes out.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Switch 2 launch is gonna be hype as fuck. Other than that I’m looking forward to Firaxis next game, whether it be XCOM or Civ. Elden Ring DLC and maybe the announcement of a sequel. Slay the Spire 2. Monolith’s Wonder Woman game. Overall I’m feeling pretty entertained.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
GTAVI incoming, MSFS2024 incoming, new updates for DCS incoming, KCDII incoming, Civilization 7 incoming, 5090 incoming, new generation of VR headsets incoming, Switch 2 incoming, Xbox and Playstation strongholds dying for the better. So, what's not to love about the next two years, this going to be great! /audacious

Interesting poll results considering my perception of NeoGAFs general gaming negativity.

It's not so surprising as much of the negativity in classic fashion often consist of a vocal :messenger_neutral: or :messenger_pouting: minority. I've always believed that this community has a strong core of decent individuals who are not easily influenced by the trivial complaints of the usual suspects.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Totally neutral. Too much up-and-down to really find a happy spot.

The main thing is GTA VI shaping how we talk about video games for the following 10 years much like we've done with V.

Always something to be happy about, though. Always several lifetimes worth of video games I haven't beaten. Always a new private WoW server to chill on with the lads (and the best one ever is out this year).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
At this point I'm convinced that only people who exclusively play AAA western games are concerned about the industry, I've said it before here at GAF but I'll say it again "you guys seriously need to broaden the type of games you play" Indies and Asian devs have been releasing bangers in the recent years, so overall I'm optimistic especially when Nintendo is literally about to release a new console.
No, more like only people who exclusively play Japanese and indie games think there’s nothing going wrong with the industry.

Even Japanese gaming isn’t all good news. Sony shut down most of Japan Studios and MS killed Tango Gameworks. And IMO Square-Enix’s output has been pretty shit this generation too, not just the big ones like FF7R and FF XVI but also Forspoken and their smaller games (Saga Emerald Beyond, Valkyrie Elysium, Foamstars, Diofield Chronicles, etc)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Negative. Not a fan of what any of the "big 3" are doing nor the direction they have taken.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Pretty neutral. I've found myself focusing almost entirely on indie games when it comes to the modern stuff, and retro has started occupying more of my playtime again, too... honestly, it's kind of shocking how much more direct and, frankly, enjoyable the older stuff tends to be.

Indie devs are definitely getting more sophisticated, and it feels more and more like they're starting to resemble the teams that made games back in 'the day when there wasn't so much emphasis on risk management and broad appeal. That's a huge relief.

There was a shining moment there when Square was making some really interesting mid-tier type stuff like Octopath II and all that, but it sounds like direction didn't go so well for them, so that's probably done. Capcom seems to be done making anything that's not a super accessible AAA game with little nuance. Nintendo can't even seem to make a new game that's not either a pointless open-world or that's stripped of any sort of challenge or depth (read: Super Mario Bros Wonder). It feels like the big guys are almost entirely out of the picture for me, despite a few gasps of air in the last several years.

So... neutral-ish.... I guess?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ecstatic. Can't wait for FF16 and FF7 Rebirth to come to PC, plus Persona 3R's DLC this September, FF14 Dawntrail next month, GTA6, and way more. What a time to be alive!

Fbh

Easily a 4.
There's a ton of exciting stuff we know is coming for sure like a new Nintendo console, GTA6, Monster Hunter Wilds, Death Stranding 2, Judas, SMTV, Hades 2 and No rest For the Wicked 1.0 release, YSX, Space Marine 2, Kingdom Come 2, etc.

Only reason it's not a 5 is because it depends on on stuff that MIGHT come out in the next 2 years like the new Witcher, new stuff by Naughty Dog, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Pragmata and other capcom stuff, new Yakuza games, new DOOM, Hollow Knight silksong, Dragon Quest 12, something new by Platinum, maybe FROM, that Matthew Mcconaughey game with Kotor talent behind it and tons of other AAA, AA and indie games that might not even be announced yet, etc

Sometimes it feels like the negativity around here just comes from a loud minority of people with a very narrow taste in games

Impotaku

Easy to remain optimistic as the only modern gaming i do from the western side is indie stuff. All the rest is Japanese so i avoid all that AAA western shit thats half finished & stuffed with identity politcs.

JCK75

Meh--- not a lot I REALLY am looking forward to.. I'm sure there will be great games.. but I think we are at a period where AAA companies are experimenting with price gouging nonsense I don't see a lot of value in my purchases.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I voted "positive," because although I'm pessimistic about where AAA mainstream gaming is headed, I'm optimistic about my chances of finding something good to play.

acidagfc

Japanese studios will carry the AAA field for me, while indies will fill the in-between time.

There won't be anything even remotely close to BG3 for a while though, that's for sure.

cireza

Going to keep playing Japanese third party games, because this is where the good games have always been. So it should be okay.
A couple good indie or Western games will help, stuff like Outer Wilds or Streets of Rage 4.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm currently in the process of selling off 80% of my video game collection the trill is gone for me

Only some amazing news from Japan could keep me interested the west is dead dead

lachesis

I've been in the game for past 4 decades, so I don't tend to be too excited or pessimistic on pretty much anything.
Things rise like they are going to conquer the world or whatnot - but all rise and fall one way or another in due time.
But it will go on in some shape or form. I will find something that I like on any of the platforms - whether on console or pc. (hopefully not mobile, but if it has to come down to - it will do)

ungalo

The industry's direction doesn't appeal to me, on many levels, that's for sure. And i'm not the kind of guy perpetually chasing the next big thing, i don't think i'm impatient and always unsatisfied. But i am critical even of the most praised games we've been getting lately.

I would say my biggest issue is not so much that gaming has become stale, but it's that this global uniformization really destroyed a big part of gaming. Indie games don't cover a lot of subgenres that were at their strongest during PS2 gen or even 360. The big split between indie games and AAA is really at the core of what's wrong in my opinion.

That being said, i'm only negative regarding the current direction of the industry and the latest AAA, i could play only retro games from now and be completely satisfied with gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom