• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How excited / optimistic are you for the next two years of videogames?

Are you optimistic about the next ~24 months in videogames?

• 5 - Ecstatic. Really interested in seeing what's nearing release.

• 4 - Positive. I'll keep my expectations in check but I'm generally interested.

• 3 - Neutral.

• 2 - Negative. I still enjoy the hobby but the industries direction doesn't appeal to me.

• 1 - Morose. There's a chance I'm out of the hobby in 2 years.

Results are only viewable after voting.

feynoob

Gold Member
Nothing worth it. Gonna wait for next evolution.
Bored Episode 15 GIF by The Simpsons

supersale88

Neo Member
Very optimistic. This year alone is full of bangers for me, it will be enough to get me through this and next year. Yakuza 8, FF Rebirth, Unicorn Overlord, Persona 3 remake, SMT Vengeance, ys X Nordic, Trails thrugh Daybreak, Metaphor. I will be bankrupt...

SHA

I'm missing a lot, and like many games I haven't got the chance to beat them cause there are many of them, it's just more fruitful taking this approach to consume content rather than just waiting for the next big thing.

Holammer

I get it's tough for those of subsisting on Triple A & Sony's third person walking simulators, but I play mostly indies so my cup runneth over.

Aion002

I am positive.

This year so far has been great for me video games wise. FFVII Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and others are simply awesome, there's a lot of things for me to play and with the Elden Ring dlc being released next month, I have zero complaints.

I am cautiously optimistic that the next 2 years will be great! I am hyped for Monster Hunter Wilds, Death Stranding 2, Pragmata, GTA6 and I am hopeful that games like Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Resident Evil 9 will get announced soon.

Also, I am extremely hyped for the final part of the FFVII remake triology.

ZehDon

STALKER 2 and Into the Radius 2 will soon exist. This is good.
Microsoft will then buy and shutter their developers. This is bad.
Thus, I remain neutral.

BossLackey

Gold Member
At this point I'm convinced that only people who exclusively play AAA western games are concerned about the industry, I've said it before here at GAF but I'll say it again "you guys seriously need to broaden the type of games you play" Indies and Asian devs have been releasing bangers in the recent years, so overall I'm optimistic especially when Nintendo is literally about to release a new console.

I agree. I have quite a diverse pallet and I can’t keep my head above water with these releases. There seems to be one to three games a week that feel like must-haves for me.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
At the moment there is ZERO things for me to be excited...

Xbox has gone byebye

Sony FP exclusives has gone to the shittier side thanks to bad writing and wokeness , and at least for me, cinematic games fatigue , but it can be just the shit writing

I love Wolverine but DEI seems to be deeply inside insomniac so Ill wait and see for the final product.

On top of that Sony has zero FP single player games announced from their top studios so probably nothing until at least 2026.

My most modern passion is Souls Games and unfortunately Elden Ring took the series to a bad place so I can only hope that Miyazaki can do something else and leave this specific franchise for team B.

24/25 is not looking to good for my gaming. I went from "yeahhh Ps5 pro lets go" .. to "Meh"... to play what ? Last of us 1 the remake of the remake remastered 2.0 ? Nah.

IAmRei

For japanese games, i'm still positive. Seeing them got lot of incomes last year, i think they can still thrive and expand

For western games, i'm not seeing positive trends, they are lot of ruckuss and drama among them. And their games mostly are suck these days. I left with sours, years ago...
Although I like some of their new games but usually some that i like are not popular or just for some niche markets. I wish there is positive trends in the future, maybe this year drama is their turn point? I dont know yet.

I dont play gaas since almost two decades ago, and i see them as super negative these days.

As for chinese and korean games, still see them as negative. I dont like their games at all

Kabelly

GTA 6 may be "more of the same" but i feel like after 10 years and billions and billions of dollars we're in for a real treat. If they really listen to the movement complaints and just make it a bit more snappy then it's over.

Also Switch 2 possibly finally. I will buy that shit day 1.

The industry's direction doesn't appeal to me, on many levels, that's for sure. And i'm not the kind of guy perpetually chasing the next big thing, i don't think i'm impatient and always unsatisfied. But i am critical even of the most praised games we've been getting lately.

I would say my biggest issue is not so much that gaming has become stale, but it's that this global uniformization really destroyed a big part of gaming. Indie games don't cover a lot of subgenres that were at their strongest during PS2 gen or even 360. The big split between indie games and AAA is really at the core of what's wrong in my opinion.

That being said, i'm only negative regarding the current direction of the industry and the latest AAA, i could play only retro games from now and be completely satisfied with gaming.
Wow, these are my opinions and feelings - word for word.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Between Death Stranding 2, GTA VI I will probably be set for the rest of the generation. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

So yeah, I'm excited for the next 2 years, easily.

Last edited:
AS a XBox and SEGA fan the next 2 years the next 2 'years' are looking to be the best in 'years' for games. I just really hope Fable and Jet Set Radio deliver

kyubajin

Game dev taking too long, everything not CoD/GaaS is risky, most of my favourite devs taking 10 years to release games, only indies and some Japanese devs keeping me interested in the hobby.

Lupin25

Positive

This gen is moving slow, so the further we go along the better. Mid-gen has been lackluster, so we’ll see the heavy hitters the last 3-4 years (2025-2028).

Brigandier

I'm close to neutral as there is always something for someone to play and look forward too in this hobby, but recently I have been left feeling a bit negative with cancelled games, long periods of silence from major studios that I like, FF7 rebirth which was fantastic and is my kind of game flopping, Nintendo being very quiet regarding new hardware.

Some new announcements and gameplay of previously announced games and some Switch 2 and PS5 Pro news and I'll be fine again 🤣

Dazraell

Gold Member
Quite positive, all things considered. But yeah, the answer for this question will most likely be best to answer after Summer Game Fest / platform holders showcases

CashPrizes

2019 going into 2020 I was at peak excitement. Last of Us 2, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, and Cyberpunk were like on my mind for 4 years leading up to 2020.

Definitely not anywhere near that level now. Like I know several games I am crazy about are in development, but we haven't seen anything about them essentially. Multiple new Witcher games, a new Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls V, new Naughty Dog IP, they are all years away.

We have seen cinematics for Dragon Age 4 but no gameplay, and Biowares track record is so bad now it is a wait and see. Hollow Knight Silksong is the most tangible thing, that and that new IP from Persona Team, Metaphor Fantasia or whatever.

Depends on what you mean by "the industry". If it's blockbuster AAA games, then I'm already out. I stopped caring about those years ago, the only notable exception being From Software releases. If you mean gaming as a whole, then I'm fairly optimistic. I've got a huge backlog of older titles I want to play, replay, or keep playing (some PC games still get high quality fan-made content updates 20 or even 30 years after release) and I've never had a problem finding indie or AA games that interest me.

I feel pretty neutral on the matter. Don't really know enough to be exited. If we actually get some information on what Sony has got cooking for next year or Nintendo with the Switch 2 then I might get more positive. I have spent the last 10 years getting exited for what Microsoft has around the corner but that's become a roundabout at this point.

Sentenza

I keep finding good stuff to play no matter the era and since CRPGs and 4X came back swinging even my past concerns for "beloved genres dying once and for all" have been put to rest over time.

That said, admittedly the "triple A" scene gives very little to be excited for most of the times, and I find myself more and more often anticipating titles coming from a lot of so called "mid tier developers" (that are often ramping up to a level that in the past would be considered as large budget projects).

As an example, some of the things I'm looking forward the most for in the near future are the Gothic remake (with a not-negligible amount of worry it may suck compared to the original), whatever Owlcat and Larian are working on, maybe the next XCOM from Firaxis if it doesn't turn out to be a stinker, etc, etc.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
I have been slowly moving away from modern gaming. I still play Fortnite with my friends on Tuesday night, but otherwise I’ve been playing games from the 360 era and earlier. In fact, I’ve been playing the recompiled Majora’s Mask for the past week and I’m excited to see what that brings.

Wait you can get that like right now? I thought we were still waiting wtf.

On-topic yeah I'm excited. Switch 2

Quasicat

Gold Member
Wait you can get that like right now? I thought we were still waiting wtf.

On-topic yeah I'm excited. Switch 2
I’m excited for Switch 2, but realistically will be waiting for Animal Crossing (I always put a huge amount of time in those games.

Talking about the Majorca’s Mask project, I followed this tutorial and it took me less than a minute to get it up and running. I even use the NSO N64 controller and it works perfectly.
link:
https://steamdeckhq.com/tips-and-guides/zelda-majoras-mask-pc-steam-deck/

NahaNago

Mostly neutral. I'm pretty sure there will be some games I will buy and enjoy in the next 2 years, but I doubt there will be anything that will get me hyped.

A new Devil May Cry or Mega man legends could get me hype though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom