• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Far Can Games Engage You?

I think my Elden Ring playthrough was 215 hours, platinum trophy. I'll put in the time if I'm given something substantial and fun.

intbal

mFQIxn9.gif

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not a thing you can generalize. Depends on the individual. There was a time when I could spend days on end engrossed in a game. The only game I've been engrossed in since the start of this generation has been Mass Effect Legendary Edition and those games are from the PS360 generation. It depends on whether good games are being made in genres you enjoy. They don't make many games in my favorite genres these days.

I think the pokemon go phenomenon was an indicator of how far engagement can reach. Create something as appealing and/or addicting that gets you out in social settings and widespread gatherings of this game.. I always wonder about how that social manipulation could be utilized by malevolent forces.

feynoob

Games with too much cinematics is boring for me. I already hate watching movies.

Games with too much guides is annoying and kill joy.

Games with high hp fodder mobs is annoying too. I am high leveled player. I don't need mobs to be at my level or have enough hp to tank my attacks unless they are unique mobs or bosses. It takes the moments away from the game.

Kssio_Aug

Some games yes. But most AAA feel overrated to me nowadays... I don't really get that satisfaction from them most of the time.

The games I use to enjoy the most nowadays are generally quicker and more gamplay centered.

And I tried many times but I gave on MP games. I simply don't really like them.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Time played.
Really? I though engagement in this context meant how much you are "into the game".

For example, I have 100 hours in Rimwold, but I still think Metal Gear Rising is more engaging even if have only put like 30 or 40 hours into it, since I'm more "into it", more immersed, more focused, etc.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Really? I though engagement in this context meant how much you are "into the game".

For example, I have 100 hours in Rimwold, but I still think Metal Gear Rising is more engaging even if have only put like 30 or 40 hours into it, since I'm more "into it", more immersed, more focused, etc.
There are exceptions to every rule, but overall you spend the most time with the girl you fancy the most.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There are exceptions to every rule, but overall you spend the most time with the girl you fancy the most.
You could spend multiple days or weeks dating a girl and it might end in nothing, or maybe not. (Rimwold)

Or you could go and buy yourself a hooker, fuck her and forget about it. (Metal Gear Rising)

Now imagine some of those dates with the first girl were pretty nice, but others kinda boring. Meanwhile the sex with the hooker was amazing on all levels. Wich would you say was more engaging?1

Kssio_Aug

You could spend multiple days or weeks dating a girl and it might end in nothing, or maybe not. (Rimwold)

Or you could go and buy yourself a hooker, fuck her and forget about it. (Metal Gear Rising)

Now imagine some of those dates with the first girl were pretty nice, but others kinda boring. Meanwhile the sex with the hooker was amazing on all levels. Wich would you say was more engaging?1
Calculating Zach Galifianakis GIF by filmeditor

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Life hack: Don't marry the hooker.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Attention to detail, stunning graphics, level of care put into the game/craft, engaging story, satisfying and engaging combat, varied locations, ATMOSPHERE.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Life hack: Don't marry the hooker.
Next time don't come at me with analogies. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, to answer OP's question... if it's time played I'd say there's no limit to it. I've seen reviews on Steam where the reviewer might have put more than a few thousand hours into the game, which would be impossible to me.

If it's a matter of being "into the game"... Dunno man, if VR would keep advancing that would for sure increase the limit of engagement, but things have been quite stale on that front as of late.

GTA games engage me to commit GTA. I think GTA 6 will engage me to do it at a national level, but it will depend on the effort of Rockstar employees.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is there a limit to how far games can engage you?

Who decides this stuff, anyway?
I do.

And yes, there is a limit. Games have only ever been able to reach 80 engages so far. There’s a theoretical maximum of 83 total engages per game, but we’ve never come that far in practice. I doubt we’ll ever even see 81 in our lifetime.

Robb

Gold Member
Fun gameplay is the main drive for me.

I usually re-play Zelda: ALttP once year. That’s probably the most “engagement” I’ve gotten out of a single game ever thus far. The only limit to my engagement is probably death.
Grim Reaper Halloween GIF

Last edited:
Heck I'm still logging session on GTA Online, Setting times on Dirt Rally 2 , Collecting Korok seeds in Zelda and blasting dungeons in Diablo 4. So a while I'd say.

Hudo

Games can make me think about them even when I am not playing them. The last games that did this were Tears of the Kingdom (I am playing it again...) and Unicorn Overlord.

MrRibeye

I literally moved to a tropical island and started wearing cowboy boots and smoking cigars. It's no Tahiti, but near enough, and I run a game studio here. Earlier this year we lost funding and my staff struggled. We need more money, but I told them that I have a plan and that if we have some faith and stick to the plan we will be able to ship the game later this year.

I am living the life that Dutch dreamed of.

If you know me on LinkedIn, you know this is true.

RDR2 was plenty engaging in my life.

Gandih42

Games can engage me almost indefinitely, as much as any other artistic medium.

When I was younger, I think I'd lean more to the gameplay side of things that could keep me thinking about the game every moment not playing it. Especially when it facilitated creative self-expression through build-craft, combat, strategy, etc. These days, I think I'm more interested in games that have evocative themes, stories, worlds etc., that give me something to think about when I'm not playing. Doesn't mean a game should not be fun though, I think the strongest and most engaging games are those that creatively utilize the interactive aspect of games to do something artistic. Nier Automata and Spec Ops: The Line are probably some of the most hardcore examples of that.

To also look the other way, the presence of real-world monetisation in games has a cancerous effect of engagement for me. Even when not implemented egregiously, money is the last thing I want to think about when trying to relax with a fun game or be intellectually stimulated by challenge, story, themes, etc. This is one of the main reasons I've not been super keen on Diablo 4. The story and visuals look awesome and just the kind of stuff I'd like. But it is ensnared in a financially incentivised never-ending 'live-service' format, which kills my excitement. Probably nowhere near as bad as I make it sound, but to me it sets it way back, especially with the breadth of cool games out there.

kyussman

Not sure what OP is really asking here......historically,if a game has gameplay I like and systems that are interesting then I can engage with it for a certain period of time,but there has always been a time when I am ready to move on(I'm talking about single player games,I was never a big fan of multiplayer although I did play some).....right now I am totally unengaged from gaming though,the rise of woke politics in games,copy and paste game design,relentless monetization driving the industry.....it's all a huge turn off for me.

Markio128

You can be engaged and not engaged with the same game. GT7 for example. I’ve been super engaged in a challenging, long race, but then not engaged in a 10 lap oval race with samba buses.

At my age, if something doesn’t immediately engage me, then I get the hell out of there. Stellar Blade is constantly engaging, because even when you’re running through a desert, at least you have a nice butt to look at.

elhav

I would say, if a game compels you to master it (not forcing you), and you learn its intricacies and improve and enjoy the process, that's when it's most engaging.

Games that are more like movies ("immersive experiences") can be engaging for a short time, but it's not sustainable.

I remember playing Sekiro relentlessly until I've felt I mastered the combat to my liking, and I was completely absorbed the whole time.
Time played.
I don't think it's necessarily a good metric. Some games can become extremely repetitious, but you play them to unwind and distract yourself, not to be engaged.

Time wasters can be addicting, but mind numbing

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I don't think it's necessarily a good metric. Some games can become extremely repetitious, but you play them to unwind and distract yourself, not to be engaged.

Time wasters can be addicting, but mind numbing

If they weren't effective at engaging your brain (ie distracting you) then they wouldn't be engaging and you wouldn't play them.

Time played is the king metric.

elhav

If they weren't effective at engaging your brain (ie distracting you) then they wouldn't be engaging and you wouldn't play them.

Time played is the king metric.
But many of these games are played on autopilot. You don't need to focus on anything. I think some of these games are meant to disengage your brain from things that bother you, but not engage it with something worth your time.

All those grindathons and live service games are just there in the background so that you won't feel the emptiness of your own existence

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
But many of these games are played on autopilot. You don't need to focus on anything. I think some of these games are meant to disengage your brain from things that bother you, but not engage it with something worth your time.

All those grindathons and live service games are just there in the background so that you won't feel the emptiness of your own existence
We don't play things that don't engage us. Autopilot loses to fun 10/10 times.

elhav

We don't play things that don't engage us. Autopilot loses to fun 10/10 times.
That's a nice ideal. I think people can be addicted to games they don't particularly enjoy, but give them the satisfaction of gambling (like in Fifa and other games with loot boxes) or reassuring repetition.

The trend in the industry is attempting to find new gameplay mechanics that are more addictive (to maximise extra consumer spending), not engaging

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's a nice ideal. I think people can be addicted to games they don't particularly enjoy, but give them the satisfaction of gambling (like in Fifa and other games with loot boxes) or reassuring repetition.
I don't know about any of that. I do know time is the greatest resource and games we spend the most time with are valued the most. It's the metric the entire industry values most now (outside of $$$)

The trend in the industry is attempting to find new gameplay mechanics that are more addictive (to maximise extra consumer spending), not engaging
Always has been. If you don't think they were trying to find new gameplay mechanics that were more addictive to maximize consumer spending in 2015 or 2005, I don't know what to tell you. War never changes.

elhav

I don't know about any of that. I do know time is the greatest resource and games we spend the most time with are valued the most. It's the metric the entire industry values most now (outside of $$$)

Always has been. If you don't think they were trying to find new gameplay mechanics that were more addictive to maximize consumer spending in 2015 or 2005, I don't know what to tell you. War never changes.
With the exception of MMORPGs, I actually think videogames were designed to be fun, unique, or popular, because that's what sold. Obviously the goal was to sell as many copies, but the point was to make the game as appealing to as many people, not to make people addicted to it.

Games used to come finished in a disc, and replay value was based on how well the game was designed, either being really fun or having enough challenges to merit subsequent playthroughs.

Now many of the games are designed to never end, to keep you playing out of addiction, less because you're having so much fun, and to always have more DLC. It started during the PS4 generation, and gets worse and worse.

I want what you say to be true for most people who play videogames, but I just don't see it

Top Bottom