• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is it for you that next gen systems are backwards compatible?

statham

Not very important at all. It's certainly nice, but I keep all my older consoles and I can still hook them up at any time. Plus there isn't a lot of stuff from this gen that I actually would want to replay again.

Would you mind explaining the logic behind this? Why is it ok for your disks to not be compatible, but not your digital stuff? If anything you'd think it would be the other way around, as chances are the amount of money spent on disk games would be far more than the amount spent on XBLA or whatever.
you can atleast sell the disc or maybe they become collectors items and the disc will play on another one you bought from ebay in 10 years when your system dies., the DD is tied to your system and in ten years when your system dies the odds of microsoft/sony/nintendo letting you redownload the games on a outdated system you bought on ebay are low. Compaines go out of business or are sold making a game you bought 10 years ago to redownload now, kinda hard.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Observation: we're moving in the direction of digital lockers where all your content is digital. A lot of people this gen are just ahead of the curve with getting on that bandwagon. For some, they're already treating the current consoles as nearly or fully digital distribution platforms.

So, for certain people the consoles have already become PCs or iOS devices. It's no longer about the specific hardware but the persistent content you own across devices.

There's a certain leap of faith and risk involved here, since the two HD consoles may not have been fully engineered with complete future proofing of content in mind. On other hand the pressure is on to avoid breaking compatibility in the next generation.

Extremely important. I would be willing to pay extra for it, even $100 to be able to play my entire PS3/PS2 disc library on PS4.

BC for DD games is mandatory. If DD games can't be transferred to new hardware it makes them useless to buy on consoles and I will not buy any more in the future.

This concern is why I am leery of DD and DLC on consoles. My PS2 copy of Beyond Good and Evil will still work in 15 years. What about the HD version I got off the PSN? If my PS3 dies and can't be repaired or I have to replace the hard drive, will I still be able to log into my account and redownload it? BC in future consoles ensures purchased games will be kept around longer and keeps them available to buy for new players. If not then DD games expire when the hardware is discontinued. And I'm not repurchasing games again and again with each new hardware generation.

Great games don't stop being great when new hardware comes out. HD rereleases and downloadable classics are great, but we're almost at the end of this hardware generation and look how FEW past gen games have gotten this treatment so far on all 3 systems compared to how many were actually released.

For me, it's really important. I have a TON of XBLA games, and I wouldn't be very happy if I had to just leave those behind.

Yeah. I don't keep too many retail games, but I have hundreds of dollars worth of XBLA games that I will be fucking pissed if they don't transfer next gen.

I don't really care myself, it saves a bit of convenience and makes jumping into new hardware a bit less prone to buyer's remorse, but if it's not there all it does it stop me from jumping in too early.

It's just that this generation in particular would have come in handy with better BC because it would be easier to play my games on my contemporary setups. PS2 and Xbox games via HDMI would be nice.

I used to care a lot about backwards compatibility, until I took a step back and realized I keep all my consoles anyway, so I don't really need it.

I wouldn't mind having backwards compatibility for the sake of convenience, but if it's going to make the console cost more, I'd rather skip out on it and save some money.

I think having it as an optional feature for a premium price would be the best way to satisfy everyone's desires on the issue, similarly to how Sony is handling 3G on the Vita.

For the next-gen I will say that it's more important than it was for this generation.

The big difference being that this was the first HD generation. Old PS2 and Xbox games didn't look very good when they were upscaled. But with this second generation of HD consoles, it won't be as harsh to go back and play first-gen HD titles.

It was important, but everyone I ever loved gave up on it so I don't have much choice now. I can never play Chrono Cross again, or any of my PS2 games... aside from some choice 'classics' such as Kim Possible.

Vaporizer

Banned
Observation: we're moving in the direction of digital lockers where all your content is digital. A lot of people this gen are just ahead of the curve with getting on that bandwagon. For some, they're already treating the current consoles as nearly or fully digital distribution platforms.

So, for certain people the consoles have already become PCs or iOS devices. It's no longer about the specific hardware but the persistent content you own across devices.

There's a certain leap of faith and risk involved here, since the two HD consoles may not have been fully engineered with complete future proofing of content in mind. On other hand the pressure is on to avoid breaking compatibility in the next generation.

I have no idea about the xenon but the cell processor in the ps3 is future proof. You can add more PPEs and SPUs to it for more power next gen. And it will still play ps3 and psn games.

BurningNad

I don't NEED it, but it's definitely a luxury I wouldn't oppose. I still have my PS2 and GameCube... When the PS4 comes out, I'll still keep my PS3... It's convenient but not a necessity. Has no pull when it comes to purchasing a new system.

Foxix Von

It's massively important. Now more than ever and not just for early adopters. BC now stands at a point where it's going to determine how these companies support not only their previous releases but also DLC and downloadable game releases.

If any of the next gen systems launch without some form of BC or another they're going to be releasing DOA.

RedSwirl

There will be a shitstorm if the next gen consoles come out and we can't transfer all that digital content we bought on current gen machines. Sony, Microsoft, and soon Nintendo are no longer just selling consoles, they're selling entire services.

Somehow though I think Sony's going to have a harder time of it than Microsoft. They can't even emulate the PS2 on the PS3 without the original hardware, and the PS3 itself is supposedly an odd architecture. How hard is it gonna be to emulate that?

Also, what do you guys think the chances are that the PS4 will be able to emulate the PS2 completely through software, and play PS2 discs?

Nakimushi

Banned
none for me / I didnt play any ps2 games on ps3.... compare to the next ganes they look like crap

I am really surprised people still miss or play ps1-ps2 games on ps3

There will be a shitstorm if the next gen consoles come out and we can't transfer all that digital content we bought on current gen machines. Sony, Microsoft, and soon Nintendo are no longer just selling consoles, they're selling entire services.

Somehow though I think Sony's going to have a harder time of it than Microsoft. They can't even emulate the PS2 on the PS3 without the original hardware, and the PS3 itself is supposedly an odd architecture. How hard is it gonna be to emulate that?

Also, what do you guys think the chances are that the PS4 will be able to emulate the PS2 completely through software, and play PS2 discs?

I don't think the ps4 will have any technical limitation with that like the ps3 does. But I could see Sony being douchebags and not allowing ps2 game discs to run.

Doffen

It’s important. I don’t want to turn on my old Xbox 360 or PS3 just to play the previous generation games when I’m rocking the NextBox and PS4.

Not very much, once I move on to a new gen I rarely go back to play the last gen games. But if I ever get a really strong urge for some reason I can go hook up my old system.

If my gamertag/points/dlc/dd games/saves don't transfer NOTHING is forcing my hand to pick up the 720/loop/nextbox/whateverthefuckitscalled.

AndyD

aka andydumi
My downloaded games better fucking work.

Disc games is less important, but still important (especially around launch).

This. Downloadable games better be 100% compatible, or at least everything recent from the past two-three years. Disc games I could do without compatibility provided we get major franchises quickly, within 1 year of launch to replace the old.

I have no idea about the xenon but the cell processor in the ps3 is future proof. You can add more PPEs and SPUs to it for more power next gen. And it will still play ps3 and psn games.

It's not just about the hardware. I'm fairly certain there's a number of compatibility issues or hard limitations that could appear on the software, OS or service side of things.

Zia

Exactly this. And with that in mind, it is very important to me. I not only live in a box of an apartment (with another person and two layabout cats), but enjoy minimalist design and a clutter-free living space. There are too many other things in life to occupy my time and space.

Vaporizer

Banned
It's not just about the hardware. I'm fairly certain there's a number of compatibility issues or hard limitations that could appear on the software, OS or service side of things.

Actually it tends to be software emulation where you can get bugs or issues. If the hardware is there then there is less of an issue

A souped up cell for the ps4 will run psn and ps3 games smoothly. No problem.

running current gen and next gen consoles side by side is annoying, but bearable for me. however, with the rate that current gen consoles die out, i'd consider it quite important for me for the next gen.

Very. I didn't even buy a PS3 until Sony announced they were discontinuing the 20 and 60 Gig systems and removing backwards compatibility.

exactly this. it was 2007 when they announced the 80GB will be getting the "software" ps2 compatibility so i immediately went out and bought the 60GB for $500. i absolutely love playing my ps2 games and refuse to give it up.

same goes for the wii, same goes for my game boy advance, ds lite, etc. backwards compatibility is necessary until proper emulation is doable.

Magnus

Very important. I still want to be able to play everything I have (digital and physical) without having over 3 boxes hooked up. There's just no room.

But if it's not going to be ~100% perfect emulation (or really, better via upscaling/faster loading, or whatever), then don't bother. Gut it, keep it cheaper, we'll make do with the old systems.

I think its a very useful feature at launch, and perhaps some time after that, but its one of those features that I use less as the gen goes on. However, I think Downloadable games need to be backwards compatible given

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Not important at all. Once a new system comes out I generally forget about the gen before hand. I move on from videogames very easily.

It was a lot more important to me 5 years ago. I've gotten too busy to go back and play old games. The idea is awesome, but in practice it's just something I don't use. If i were to go back to an old title, I'd rather spend a little more on an HD remake.

jimi_dini

Very.

I got many PSX games, even more PS2 games, some Gamecube games, very many Wii games, many PS3 games. If PS4 pulls some crap again, I won't get it (or reeeealy late). I also accept additional BC component for sale, so that they won't have to increase the regular price, but I will only accept proper 100% hardware backward compatibility - nothing else.

And Wii/PS3 digital games should be transferable onto Wii U / PS4, otherwise no deal. Although I already prepared for that case, I didn't buy that many digital games and always prefer discs.

statham

what if everytime a new windows came out it blocked your old programs windows xp-->vista--7---8? you could no longer play halflife 2 because of it, and if they did make it available to the new windows, they would charge you for it .you guys saying you want new experiences what if your PC suddenly cut out old games

Tunic

Extremely important for me. Digital purchases must transfer over too. It would be a nice bonus though if the next gen consoles have some sort of way of installing all previous gen games onto a storage drive or into a cloud-based storage system.

Mahonay

Banned
Seeing that I already have over 60 games for the 360, it's pretty important to me.

I really don't want to keep my 360, that thing is loud as hell and it's one of the old white models that's an eyesore. I'd like to be able to just pop my 360 discs into the new console.

I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if it didn't turn out that way. Just a convenience factor.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

The irony is they PS3 cannot emulate the huge badwidth of the PS2 eDRAM, the same problem MS is going to have next gen...

Very important.

Like an earlier poster, I only bought a PS3, and the 60gb one at that, once they announced that BC was going away. I'd estimate that about 95% of my gaming on the PS3 is PS2 games to this day. My daughter in particular has been going through the old Kingdom Hearts, the PS2 PoP trilogy, etc.

I'll be livid if my XBLA purchases do not carry forward. While I do play 360 disc-based games the vast majority of my gaming is XBLA (and XBLIG) based.

I'll buy the consoles that offer BC, and pass on those that don't. Simple as that. And if none do, then I'm back on PC full-time (where Steam lets me play games from 1994 pain-free).

Top Bottom