• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Homer killing Grandpa Simpson funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madara

I was dying with that as soon as he went plug his nose, Sopranos joke. :lol I have laughed three times so far, when did this show start get better? Last time I watched was about 5-6 years ago and god was DOA then.

klausbert

Because father killing is always funny. Even the old Greeks loved the story of Oedipus who killed his father to fuck his mother.

Grizzlyjin said:
It was a dream sequence.
Theeeere you go. I knew it was either a dream or a Halloween episode.

58720thinout.gif

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Peak was the 7th or 8th season. It was after the 10th season or so where we went into 'okay, end this fucking show already'.

It was a dream sequence, but I still don't see how that's supposed to be funny.

I was channel surfing, and flipped to FOX in time to see Grandpa crash the family car with Homer as his passenger. Homer gets out, and Grandpa's pretty banged up. As Homer's dialing 9-1-, Grandpa's going on about how Homer's going to have to visit him in the hospital every day, and how he'll need to move in to Homer's house to receive the proper medical for the rest of his life, etc. etc. Homer gets this look on his face, and instead of dialing the last -1 he flips his phone shut and clamps his hand over Grandpa's mouth and nose. He's almost suffocated Grandpa to death when Lisa's voice cuts through the dream. Then Homer gripes about how he was having the most wonderful dream, but he always wakes up before the best part.

Which part was supposed to be the joke? The part where a son kills his elderly father rather than be saddled with caring for him, or the part where it's revealed this is a recurring fantasy for Homer?

Peak was 'Secrets to a Successful Marriage'.

I love you marge. You mean I'm gonna be a daddy? I hope we stay together forever; forever; forever; forever? :lol

Eating an orange is a lot like a successful marriage.
JUST EAT THE DAMN ORANGES!

Blader

Spike Spiegel said:

I was channel surfing, and flipped to FOX in time to see Grandpa crash the family car with Homer as his passenger. Homer gets out, and Grandpa's pretty banged up. As Homer's dialing 9-1-, Grandpa's going on about how Homer's going to have to visit him in the hospital every day, and how he'll need to move in to Homer's house to receive the proper medical for the rest of his life, etc. etc. Homer gets this look on his face, and instead of dialing the last -1 he flips his phone shut and clamps his hand over Grandpa's mouth and nose. He's almost suffocated Grandpa to death when Lisa's voice cuts through the dream. Then Homer gripes about how he was having the most wonderful dream, but he always wakes up before the best part.

Which part was supposed to be the joke? The part where a son kills his elderly father rather than be saddled with caring for him, or the part where it's revealed this is a recurring fantasy for Homer?

I think it's kind of like how Homer physically and abusing his children is one of the show's most famous recurring jokes.

Spike Spiegel said:

Sounds like a parody that certain scene in
The Sopranos
when
Tony kills Chris

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I say the peak was the entirety of seasons 2-8, maybe 9. then you had a few 'interesting' seasons and now it's just in comatose state under Jean's reign

haven't watched an episode in about a year (disconnect after the movie), but I'm probably gonna rewatch some golden age seasons this summer and be amazed yet again at the comedy brilliance

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Also homer was willing to let grandpa die because he didn`t want to give up his kidney. the grandpa killing is a recurring joke.

ICallItFutile said:
Hey, truth hurts.
Maybe he's not denying the fact that the show has gone downhill, but the fact that every thread where the word "simpsons" gets mentioned immediately derails.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well I think one of the funnier aspects of that scene was the fact that Homer was dreaming while he was driving Lisa around, and then immediately went back to sleep and drove off after she got out of the car.

Tabris

Spike Spiegel said:

Have you ever watched The Sopranos? Based on your description, it's an EXACT parody on the episode where
Tony kills Chris.

Oh, and I don't really watch The Simpsons. I was just wondering how badly it had jumped the shark but that is a relevent parody, maybe a year late though.

Souldriver said:
Maybe he's not denying the fact that the show has gone downhill, but the fact that every thread where the word "simpsons" gets mentioned immediately derails.

Well, look at the title and OP. This isn't a "Simpsons Season 19 Appreciation Thread".

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Spike Spiegel said:

Haha, I get it.

Tabris said:
Have you ever watched The Sopranos? Based on your description, it's an EXACT parody on the episode where
Tony kills Chris.

Oh, and I don't really watch The Simpsons. I was just wondering how badly it had jumped the shark but that is a relevent parody, maybe a year late though.
I'm strictly OTA for television, so that would be a "no" on The Sopranos. Which means the parody element is completely lost on me; it just ended up being a ghoulish and disturbing scene completely out of place for a comedy series.

Ragnarok

okay so now people are complaining about parodies on the simpsons? WTF

This was one of the better episodes in a while. Actually I liked the one last week too, even if it fucked up an already impossible time-line :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom