• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Homer killing Grandpa Simpson funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been mentioned it sounds like a Sopranos parody which is why it would be funny in theory. That being said, I stopped watching the Simpsons a long time ago myself.

Stoney Mason said:
As has been mentioned it sounds like a Sopranos parody which is why it would be funny in theory. That being said, I stopped watching the Simpsons a long time ago myself.

Doesn't sound like, it was. Car crash happened at night because grandpa was fiddling with the radio, causing him to veer into oncoming traffic, traffic was two girls(patty and selma), as car goes down embankment view cuts to girls talking then they show the car going down the embankment, homer stumbles out of passenger side and begins calling, gramps says something, homer hangs up and plugs his nose and holds as gramps slowly ceases stuggling. It was, scene for scene, a reenactment.

Link Man

Banned
apocalidiot said:
:lol :lol :lol One of my favorite scenes in any Simpsons episode. That season was fantastic :lol
:lol Nice avatar.

The Dental Plan episode remains my favorite, it is simply comedic perfection.

ZeoVGM

Banned
a) The thread creator is an ass. You do know what a spoiler is, right? And I don't even watch the show, but that was stupid on your part.

b) To the people saying "how is that funny omg THAT'S SO HORRIBLE~~", it's a cartoon. How is Homer beating his kid funny?

c) It's obviously a parody.

d) I love the people who don't even watch the show coming in and going UGH END THIS FUCKING SHOW. That's adding a lot to the actual topic of the thread. Really.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I apparently missed something. All I saw was the country music girl from one of the first seasons coming back and Grandpa came in at the end with what looked like an otter/ferret hybrid...

I'l like them to kill Grandpa just to say "King of the Hill did it!"

omg rite said:
d) I love the people who don't even watch the show coming in and going UGH END THIS FUCKING SHOW. That's adding a lot to the actual topic of the thread. Really.
How is this different from you coming into every show thread that ever gets posted where people are being negative and then lecturing everyone to stop being negative?

omg rite said:
a) The thread creator is an ass. You do know what a spoiler is, right? And I don't even watch the show, but that was stupid on your part.

b) To the people saying "how is that funny omg THAT'S SO HORRIBLE~~", it's a cartoon. How is Homer beating his kid funny?

c) It's obviously a parody.

a) Who the fuck gives a shit about Simpsons' story spoilers anymore? (Or ever?)

b) I can't comment because I will never see this episode in my life.

c) Same as b

d) Ever think why no one watches the show anymore? And what Liu Kang said.

Link Man

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
How is this different from you coming into every show thread that ever gets posted where people are being negative and then lecturing everyone to stop being negative?
His post is self-righteous and holier-than-thou-art.

Boogie

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

Alas, this is too long to be made into a tag for omg rite.

That's okay, everybody knows his shtick at this point anyway.

omg rite said:

Most people in this thread have been watching this show. FOR MANY YEARS.

I want it to end because it's continued existence is dragging the series down as a whole. There have been more bad seasons of the Simpsons than good ones. They've ruined just about every primary and secondary character on the show. The social commentary and pop culture references have become embarrassingly stale. They've pretty much given up even trying to write their own show by the time they made that 90s Homer-forms-a-grunge-band episode.

Yeah, I want it to end now. It's something that is way overdue.

legend166

Seasons 4-6 are the peak. 3, 7 and 8 are fantastic. 1 and 2 get a pass because it was just beginning, and the stories were still solid. 9 is average. Everything else is pointless. Simpsons seasons 10 through whatever they are up to now is a completely different show.

The sad thing is, we've almost reached the time where we can't even say "it was better 10 years ago."

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
legend166 said:
Seasons 4-6 are the peak. 3, 7 and 8 are fantastic. 1 and 2 get a pass because it was just beginning, and the stories were still solid. 9 is average. Everything else is pointless. Simpsons seasons 10 through whatever they are up to now is a completely different show.

The sad thing is, we've almost reached the time where we can't even say "it was better 10 years ago."

I completely agree. Season 8 was where the show started to change. I didn't like the changes. It wasn't the Simpsons anymore for me: different type of humor, different type of writing.

This happens to a lot of shows over time. I thought the movie was alright, but it really would have been so much better if it had been done in the 90s.

legend166

I still think season 8 is pretty great. The plots started to get a bit wackier because you could see them running out of ideas, but the humour was still there. Weinstein and Oakley (the show runners) kept it good I think. Then Mike Scully took over in season 9, and it really went downhill quickly.

But even then, I don't think it's all down to who's executive producer at what time. Al Jean, for example, was there for the great season 3. It's just that they've simply run out of ideas. They explored the characters as far as they could, and to compensate, they turned them all into caricatures. It should have ended after season 10. It would have gone down in history. It would have absolutely defined the 90s. Instead it dragged on, and like people have said, there are more bad seasons than good ones.

The seasons on now aren't even that bad, compared to some of the absolute garbage on TV. They're bad compared to the heights the serious once reached. Seriously, go watch seasons 4-6. Every single episode (bar the clip shows) are pieces of comedic genius.

White Man

ICallItFutile said:
I completely agree. Season 8 was where the show started to change. I didn't like the changes. It wasn't the Simpsons anymore for me: different type of humor, different type of writing.

Yep, season 8 is where the ball is dropped. I was buying the DVD sets, and season 7 almost reads like it should be a greatest hits set--heack, all of the seasons up until that point do--and then 8 is pretty barren (I think there are still a few classics in 8, though).

Season 9 is usually where I see the ball dropped. There were a few misfires in Season 8, but it contained some of the last truly great episodes of the show.

i think the spirit of the show has been intact over the years, despite some very lame gags that pop up here and there. the show just needs a push in the right direction, some better writers (i hear the current ones were hired straight out of college), and i'm fine with another 20 seasons :p

I enjoied the episode.

I also really enjoied the 90s episode.

I think the simpsons has been pretty damn good this whole season, actually.

Blader

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i think the spirit of the show has been intact over the years, despite some very lame gags that pop up here and there. the show just needs a push in the right direction, some better writers (i hear the current ones were hired straight out of college), and i'm fine with another 20 seasons :p

What the show really needs is a new showrunner (or rather, one of the older showrunners taking over again). Preferably David Mirkin, though Oakley and Weinstein did a pretty good job too.

Gexecuter said:
Also homer was willing to let grandpa die because he didn`t want to give up his kidney. the grandpa killing is a recurring joke.

I don't recall him ever directly murdering him, though. I laughed at the part where he flipped his phone closed but I was kind of taken aback by the suffocation...it was a bit much.

Ptaaty

there have actually been a couple better episodes lately, tonights was worth watching...I don't mind if they keep it around.

The past couple seasons have been horrible (relatively) with very few good episodes but this season is an uptick in quality. Nothing compared with the greats, but at least I am not wondering why I am bothering to watch it. The Simpsons have been one of my favorite shows of all time. If you took the best 20 episodes together they would be epic.

i think the show passed up the chance to satirize 21st century america. i'm not saying i want it to be a "current issues" show like South Park. but with post-911/Bush USA, you've got a lot of material there, and it was never really utilised.

jts

...hate me...
LinkAMN said:
How many have you watched?
None. What is a Simpsons?

Now seriously, a fuckton. Let me just check which season my network is currently running. Season 15. Best show ever :D

I've never watched the Sopranos, so that scene was a real "lol ... wait wtf" moment for me. That being said, wow on the amount of people that have somehow created a debate on simpsons quality. Seriously, that's just ... "special".

way more

Tabris said:
Have you ever watched The Sopranos? Based on your description, it's an EXACT parody on the episode where
Tony kills Chris.

Oh, and I don't really watch The Simpsons. I was just wondering how badly it had jumped the shark but that is a relevent parody, maybe a year late though.

It takes a year for them to make the show. That brings up another thing that used to disturb me about new Simpsons. They would always have a parody of something that was in the news recently like Larry Summers saying women weren't as good at math as boys. It just felt like cheap writing and attempt to stay culturally relevant. But on the DVD commentary they constantly mention how stories came from the news but I was just too young to make the connection as a child. For instance the Australia episode was a take on the incident where American students were canned in Thailand and the US freaked out.

In before the Simpsons suck, end the show, it was better 10 years ago, etc etc

What's funny about that is the series has been going on so ridiculously long that "10 years ago" isn't enough.

It was better 12 years ago.

Zenith

Banned
someone want to explain how Bart and Milhouse braking into Flander's house and trashing it was supposed to be funny?

or when Bart and Lisa murdered Martin but because he didn't die like they thought it was supposed to make it morally ok?

JavaMava

Spike Spiegel said:
It was a dream sequence, but I still don't see how that's supposed to be funny.

I was channel surfing, and flipped to FOX in time to see Grandpa crash the family car with Homer as his passenger. Homer gets out, and Grandpa's pretty banged up. As Homer's dialing 9-1-, Grandpa's going on about how Homer's going to have to visit him in the hospital every day, and how he'll need to move in to Homer's house to receive the proper medical for the rest of his life, etc. etc. Homer gets this look on his face, and instead of dialing the last -1 he flips his phone shut and clamps his hand over Grandpa's mouth and nose. He's almost suffocated Grandpa to death when Lisa's voice cuts through the dream. Then Homer gripes about how he was having the most wonderful dream, but he always wakes up before the best part.

Which part was supposed to be the joke? The part where a son kills his elderly father rather than be saddled with caring for him, or the part where it's revealed this is a recurring fantasy for Homer?

"A little of column A, a little of colum B." - Abe Simpson.

MidiSurf

Banned
I haven't yet seen the newst one but I will soon.

And

Season 19 sucks... Well not really.

There has been few good and superb episodes in this season.

Dial 'N' for Nerder (one of my all time favorites <3 now).
Smoke on the Daughter
The Debarted
Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
Funeral for a Fiend
Little Orphan Millie

As long there is good episodes like Dial N for Nerder I will keep watching Simpsons. It might not be good as it was ten years ago but it still is entertaining (every now and then).

hadareud

The Translator
minor effort said:
Season 9 is usually where I see the ball dropped. There were a few misfires in Season 8, but it contained some of the last truly great episodes of the show.
couldn't agree more.

Starting from season 9 the show got poorer and poorer, the newer seasons are completely unwatchable for me.

People said that the film was an improvement, I don't think so. I watched it on a plane and I don't think I laughed once.

The show just has nothing going for itself anymore. Poor stories, poor humour, exaggerated voiceacting, cheap catchphrases and whoring out of the characters. When I think back how good this show used to be it makes me sad.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i watched "some enchanted evening" last night, the one from the first season where homer buys marge the bowling ball for her birthday engraved with his name, which subsequently leads to her almost having an affair with jacques the french bowling instructor. i love that episode.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hadareud said:
couldn't agree more.

Starting from season 9 the show got poorer and poorer, the newer seasons are completely unwatchable for me.

People said that the film was an improvement, I don't think so. I watched it on a plane and I don't think I laughed once.

The show just has nothing going for itself anymore. Poor stories, poor humour, exaggerated voiceacting, cheap catchphrases and whoring out of the characters. When I think back how good this show used to be it makes me sad.

It's kind of funny how pretty much everyone (correctly) agrees as to when the series went to crap. I even agree that S8 was a mixed bag, but deserves at least an honorable mention with the good seasons. I know up to/through S8 was one of the most amazing runs in TV history, but whereas growing up I always assumed Simpsons would have an enduring legacy of quality, I don't know if that will apply for those who weren't there for the initial run when literally only a third of the entire long run can be considered good.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's interesting to think about what is keeping the show from being "good" again, presuming we can all agree on a time frame in which it was so. is it simply that the staff on the show has lost sight of what's funny, or have the characters been so permanently altered from their roots and nearly every down-to-earth scenario so exhausted that the show's progress has simply brought it to the point of no return? plenty of movie/video game franchises do "reboots" in which they essentially, in vh1 behind the music fashion, "go back to their roots" and try to recapture the simplicity of what made it special in the first place. a cartoon doing that is without precedent, as far as i know, but i wonder if that wouldn't be an interesting route for the simpsons to take should it decide to continue producing shows ad infinitum.

White Man said:
Yep, season 8 is where the ball is dropped. I was buying the DVD sets, and season 7 almost reads like it should be a greatest hits set--heack, all of the seasons up until that point do--and then 8 is pretty barren (I think there are still a few classics in 8, though).
Good Lord man, Season 8 is where they dropped the ball?!?

I'm looking at the wiki page for season 8, and I only see true simpson classics.

You only move twice
Bart after Dark
The mysterious voyage of Homer
The Springfield Files
The twisted world of Marge Simpson
Mountain of Madness
Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious <--- has a tint of "new era" simpsons too it, but still one of the best musical episodes.
The itchy, scratchy and poochie show
Homer Phobia
Homer vs. the 18th Amendment

So many fuck awesome episodes. It should be a crime to say "they dropped the ball there".

ProfessorLobo said:
Like the writers for the faux Simpsons that Mr.Burns used to trick Bart.

"B'oh!"

It's not B'oh, it's... *flips through scrpit*... D'oh.

White Man said:

Well there's You Only Move Twice, which is one of the greatest eps ever.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have to admit that i actually felt a bit of contempt for the show when i saw the episode in which homer starts smoking pot. again, my biggest issue with the direction the show has taken is that i feel they've strayed way too far from the characters' personalities. homer was always something of a fool, but he was always a responsible, good father in the early goings--and he was certainly not the kind of guy who would take up smoking pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom