• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is the PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset on the PS4 (NOT PULSE)

Jomjom

Banned
Does anyone own the 7.1 Wireless stereo headset for the PS3 and uses it regularly on their PS4? I'm talking about the one that has the retractable boom, NOT the Pulse, the Pulse Elite, or the new Gold ones.

How is the sound and mic quality when using it on the PS4? Does the headset app that released on PS4 not work with this?

Thanks for any impressions! I have one nearby that I can pick up for about $25 new, so I'm trying to decide if I should get it for that price. Seems like it goes for about $50 to $60 on eBay.

Sound quality is good for me but friends tell me chat is like radio comms . Apparently it clicks on/off as I speak and has background interference.
I'm not sure if its a software problem or my headset .

Melchiah

The app doesn't support the headset. From what I've tried the headset on Tomb Raider it worked pretty well, but there were occasional hitches in the sound, like it lost its connection with the system from time to time. I haven't tried it with other games, so I don't know if the problem only appeared in TR, and whether it's fixed in the later patches. There were also some problems with getting the system to recognize the headset. Booting up solved the issue.

Jomjom

Banned
Damn chat like radio comms doesn't sound good. I was hoping to use this for twitch streaming too. Good to hear that the sound quality is good. Hopefully I won't have the cutting in and out problem. I guess for $25 it's worth a try?

For $25 new it's a no brainer. I paid $100 for the Pulse Elite and regret it. If I could go back I'd buy a nice pair of sennheiser cans and pick up an earforce DSS for 7.1 Dolby audio. The surround sound in the Sony headphones is seriously weak. It's not even Dolby, some kind of Sony proprietary implementation. But yeah, for $25 it's definitely worth it.

androvsky

Yeah, the original Pulse works on the PS4. I've had a few more problems with wifi interference on the PS4 than I did the PS3, which is odd since my PS4 is wired. I have a wifi bridge about 5 feet away, one night the headphones would instantly shut down my bridge's connection as soon as they were turned on, and the bridge was fine the moment I turned off the headphones. But that was a very rare occasion, most of the time I'll get an odd burp every once in a while and that's it. If your PS4 is using wifi to connect to the internet you might have a bit more trouble, but it should still work. And for $25 it's probably worth a shot, they're pretty good headphones.

edit: The last couple PS4 firmware updates seem to have improved the Pulse's reliability.

Endy MacK

I have a question regarding the original Sony Wireless Stereo Headset, and the PS4 (I guess this would apply to Pulse and Pulse Elite as well). I was playing inFAMOUS: SS and set my sound option to "Headphones". I noticed there is a specific option for the Gold Wireless Headset. I'm assuming you should only use that setting with the Gold Wireless, but does anyone know if there is any advantage to using that setting with the other Sony Headsets?
Thanks!

iavi

for 25, it's a great buy for a wireless set that works with just about everything. I even use mine when PC gaming from time to time, as the mic picks up loud and clear. Audio quality is a miss, though. The lows are largely absent, and the highs have a weird hiss to them.

If you're just looking to hear a game with some cans, you could do much better with another set plugged into the DS4.

I have a problem with this headset (the original 2011 model): sometimes the mic doesn't work and I have to reboot the PS4.

Official-Wireless-PS3-Headset-300x300.jpg

I suspect there's some kind of conflict with the PS4 camera, but I don't want to unplug it... does anyone else experience it? Any suggestions? It worked fine on the PS3.

Top Bottom