• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much are you willing to sacrifice for ray tracing?

How much are you willing to sacrifice for ray tracing?

• Anything as long as I get ray tracing.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • 30 Fps are not so bad after all

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • Games under 1080p don't look bad either.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I want raytracing but i am only ready for minor losses

Votes: 59 41.3%
  • Ray tracing does not interest me.

Votes: 60 42.0%

• Total voters

Spyxos

Gold Member
By now, most people should know that ray tracing requires a lot of hardware power. The results can range from spectacular (Cyberpunk Overdrive Patch) to Resident Evil Village where you can hardly see the differences.

I would be interested to know how much you are willing to sacrifice for ray tracing? Is it games only at 30 fps? Games below 1080p? Do you use it at all?

Pc Cyberpunk GIF by NVIDIA GeForce
Rt Bedrock GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

Last edited:
I mean at least in RE Village and REm4ke the raytracing doesn’t affect performance that much, so I’m fine with that level of Raytracing where the game only dips to like 50fps in some areas. Anything more egregious than that isn’t worth it tho.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
PS5 user, my 1060 is not ready at all for ray tracing. So I don't really care for now. I just wait for when it will be safe to upgrade my PC. In the meantime the PS5 will have to be suffice.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Every game I've played that has ray tracing, I've turned it off.

This console generation should be the 4k60 generation but even that seems unlikely.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Jedi survivor is a joke in this regard. It doesn’t even attempt reflections without RT.

Like… you still need to do reflections devs. Wtf?

RT is the worst thing to happen to gaming in the last decade.

JCK75

I have no issue playing a single player game at 30 frames a second, 45 would be ideal .. If multiplayer is involved in any way shape or form I would not settle for anything under 60.

TexMex

I’ll take it when we’ve come far enough that there’s no trade off. I’m not giving up FPS, and if I have to sacrifice resolution then what’s the point.

Kuranghi

Most RT has been okay to shit so far imo, I'm only interested in RTAO/GI. Reflections I don't care about really, often I prefer cubemaps or that similar to cubemaps way of doing it than SSR or RT reflections because SSR has its SS limitations which are awful and RT has the accumulation/noise issue most of the time which I find distracting.

Now that we can have it again in deferred engines, I want a crisp + temporally stable image, so accumulation noise is like going back to that specular/alpha aliasing again.

I love Batman Arkham Knight as is so much but it would look so much better if it had some TAA to clean up the fizziness.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Almost nothing. RT is a waste.
And if Metro Exodus can run 1800p 60fps fully ray traced on consoles, what is other games excuse

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
you know what
ill sacrifice full HD and play at 900, 720, or even 480p if it means i get the full package with GI, shadows and reflections at 60fps. DLSS and FSR are always there to clean up the terrible image quality

Raytracing at 4k, 1440p or even 1080p is idiotic. This should have been a feature that lowers resolution in the beginning.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

On consoles it’s just too big of a sacrifice for what it brings.

I suspect I will only appreciate it once I upgrade my PC and can keep decent performance with DLSS3.

I don’t really care about ray tracing. Right now, anyway. I have more important hobbies I’d rather spend money on than keeping up with high end pc gear. I’ll probably care when the PS6 and NeXtbox come out.

GHG

Jedi survivor is a joke in this regard. It doesn’t even attempt reflections without RT.

Like… you still need to do reflections devs. Wtf?

RT is the worst thing to happen to gaming in the last decade.

Well the whole point of RT is that it should ease development burden since reflections/shadows/lighting no longer need to be baked in.

The problem is though that the current suite of next gen consoles are not powerful enough to fully make that a reality.

Expect to see more half assed fallback solutions as the generation goes on.

Last edited:

radewagon

Locked 30 continues to be perfectly fine for me. Been saying that for what feels like 20 years.
You and me both, brother. Outside of a few specific use cases, 60fps isn't what I would call necessary. It's a nice bonus, to be sure, but not the prerequisite that it has become for many gamers.

DonJorginho

Banned
Nothing, it's an absolute joke how the PS5 version of Jedi Survivor (and XSX version too I'm guessing, haven't tested it on mine yet) has to drop it's internal resolution to 684p to even try to achieve a solid 60, and it can't even do that right, it can dip even into the 30's, it's an absolute joke. I know Jedi Survivor is an unoptimized mess anyway, but Respawn forcing you to use ray tracing on either mode is most definitely a culprit for why the framerate can't stay consistent on either mode (sub 20fps drops on res mode, sub 30fps drops on perf mode)

RT rarely is worth the sacrifice, I play games to enjoy them, not stare at reflections and shadows.

Nothing, it's an absolute joke how the PS5 version of Jedi Survivor (and XSX version too I'm guessing, haven't tested it on mine yet) has to drop it's internal resolution to 684p to even try to achieve a solid 60, and it can't even do that right, it can dip even into the 30's, it's an absolute joke. I know Jedi Survivor is an unoptimized mess anyway, but Respawn forcing you to use ray tracing on either mode is most definitely a culprit for why the framerate can't stay consistent on either mode (sub 20fps drops on res mode, sub 30fps drops on perf mode)

RT rarely is worth the sacrifice, I play games to enjoy them, not stare at reflections and shadows.
I wouldn’t use Jedi Survivor as a metric for anything tbh. There are plenty of examples on console even where RT and 60fps go hand in hand.

DonJorginho

Banned
I wouldn’t use Jedi Survivor as a metric for anything tbh. There are plenty of examples on console even where RT and 60fps go hand in hand.
I suppose so, but most studios are cack handed at releasing optimised games these days so the results will likely continue as we go along into the year.

baphomet

I have a top of the line PC so I don't have to sacrifice.

To run games with full ray tracing at least double or more the frame rate of current consoles.

It really depends on what kind of raytracing and game genre, setting, etc we're talking about.
In Cyberpunk 2077, raytracing is mandatory in my opinion. But in Hogwarts Legacy I couldn't care less.

T4keD0wN

I am willing to enable raytracing as long as i can do at least 90fps with it.

Big fan of RTGI and to a lesser degree reflections. Couldnt care less about other effects like shadows and AO, they suck.

Last edited:
I suppose so, but most studios are cack handed at releasing optimised games these days so the results will likely continue as we go along into the year.
Yeah it’s pathetic the state that gaming is in right now. Very few games even on consoles launch without needing a litany of patches to fix issues, and it’s 10x worse on PC.

Zannegan

Right now I'm not worried about it because it's mostly just being used to do specific effects on top of the rasterized image. Once we get to full-on raytracing being used in a significant percentage of games running with acceptable performance on mainstream hardware, I'll happily jump in and start thinking about compromises.

I suspect that 8K will be what 4K is now before we get there, but I at that point I would gladly sacrifice native resolution for more natural and realistic lighting and effects. I'd love to see torches and darkness work in the next Elder Scrolls game the way they were SUPPOSED to work in Dark Souls 2.

flying_sq

I want it to be punishingly well done. I think the best way to advance hardware is to push visuals to the absolute limit, and beyond. Make games with graphics that can't be run well today. Don't make it unoptimized, just push it as hard as you can.

winjer

Gold Member
Frame rate comes first. Visuals second.
RT impact on performance is too great for the improvements in visuals.

Aenima

Nothing. If a game runs at 60fps with ray tracing, ill take it, if not Ray Tracing can fuck off. And since consoles the framerate always goes to 30 with ray tracing on, i just ignore it. Maybe next gen i give a shit about it. Spider-Man was the only game i played that had a good mode for both Ray-tracing and performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom