• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much have you saved up for next gen already?

Celcius

°Temp. member
OLED Or LED?
I keep going back and forth but think I want to stick with LED... I like the way they handle motion better at lower frame rates like 30 fps, plus no burn in concerns. I could change my mind and go with a 55” CX though. It’s true when they says there’s no perfect display...

Bryank75

Banned
Got my TV for next gen a few weeks ago.

Got some money back on my car insurance on a gift card, so that was added to my pre-order at GameStop.
About 200 there now.

Then I have nearly a grand left and I'll add probably another grand to that before December.
Anything I don't spend will got to games next year, an air purifier, drinks cooler and record player for my office room.

That's the plan anyway.

Last edited:
I keep going back and forth but think I want to stick with LED... I like the way they handle motion better at lower frame rates like 30 fps, plus no burn in concerns. I could change my mind and go with a 55” CX though. It’s true when they says there’s no perfect display...
my pioneer plasma was the best tv I've ever owned

squallheart

I'm excited for the ps5 but decided to wait for next year. This is the first time I dont purchase a Playstation on launch mainly because of Nvidia reveal im using the funds to finish building my pc. It needed an upgrade after years.

Codes 208

I set aside $500

for a 3070. Ive decided I’m not buying either next gen system until the exclusives I want start releasing.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I got an LG CX early last month and I’m willing to eat whatever price Sony throws at me.

I’m getting tired of waiting though, I haven’t felt blue balls from a console since the N64 got delayed multiple times.

shaddam

My salary got some boost around march (and problaby will get some boost this month) so I'm not really saving up, I just try to avoid buying new fancy things (I bought an ultrawide in may). What I cant understand is the crying about the possible 500 usd+ price about grown up working guys. I, as an eastern euro guy can spend that much on a console. Most of you have problaby triple my salary

LOLCats

Banned
My salary got some boost around march (and problaby will get some boost this month) so I'm not really saving up, I just try to avoid buying new fancy things (I bought an ultrawide in may). What I cant understand is the crying about the possible 500 usd+ price about grown up working guys. I, as an eastern euro guy can spend that much on a console. Most of you have problaby triple my salary

a lot of us are cheapskates and a $600 price tag comes with a stigma.

Also being cheap or a deal hunter helps us have savings and dont live paycheck to paycheck...

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Have enough for both but there is nothing that stands out to me in either case making me feel like I need a PS5/XsX day one.

I put $800 in my rolling 12 month budget a while ago, but I think I'll be holding off. Don't feel like I'll really be missing anything if I'm not an early adopter this time around.

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

highrider

Banned
I probably won’t buy at launch this time. I still have fun with current gen stuff and there’s still a lot I haven’t played.

Salmonboy

An LCD does not handle motion better than any plasma or OLED.

So I began saving from the begging of this year. After saving from my job income and doing a couple of side gigs, and paying bills and other expenses, I can very happily say that I have saved a total of zero dollars for next gen.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Got my TV for next gen a few weeks ago.

Got some money back on my car insurance on a gift card, so that was added to my pre-order at GameStop.
About 200 there now.

Then I have nearly a grand left and I'll add probably another grand to that before December.
Anything I don't spend will got to games next year, an air purifier, drinks cooler and record player for my office room.

That's the plan anyway.
What tv did you go with? I'm kinda in the market.
I've got no money saved up. I do have credit cards!

Bryank75

Banned
What tv did you go with? I'm kinda in the market.
I've got no money saved up. I do have credit cards!
I went in with a CX in mind but they had one C9 left for 500 euro less, so I just went with that. The differences didn't mean that much to me... You can get some crazy deals.

Ixiah

Banned
Nothing, im not buying either of them this Year, high chance they are rushed, full of hardware malfunctions, Firmware needs to be updated several weeks/month to be stable and fuck the scalpers, i wait for rev. 2 next year.
Not to mention, there is no Game on either plattform that makes me want to buy them.

Last edited:

njean777

I have money in my savings, and can get them. But I only want one of them and I was going to go Xbox but now I don't know which console to get. Either way I am only getting one and gonna stay with that for the entire gen.

FeldMonster

I can't tell if this is real or we are been trolled.

Should people be "bettering themselves" 24/7? Do they not deserve fun and enjoyment, a little time away from their worries? Don't think your better than someone else just because you have more money. It's a proper lack of empathy on your part. So what if someone has to save for something they want, it doesn't mean they are neglecting other things, they most certainly are not hence the saving.

Anyone that works a minimum wage job should not be gaming? Or someone in a poor country just because of where they were born?

Honestly. Enjoy looking down on everyone else from up there.
Why do you feel entitled to a brand new, next gen console at launch?

I can't afford a Ferrari (any of them), but I don't complain or feel entitled to their next top of the line model when it launches.

No one said that people of lesser means are not allowed in the gaming hobby, but they would be better served (financially) playing on previous gen, used current gen, or retro systems.

Videogames are a hobby/luxury, not a necessity.

I have roughly $1200 set aside which should *fingers crossed* net me a 3080 and a PS5, but I'd prefer to not spend all of it if necessary as hopefully this April I can actually take my trip to Japan which I had planned for this past April.

I set aside $500

for a 3070. Ive decided I’m not buying either next gen system until the exclusives I want start releasing.
Possibly this though. I need to see what the launch lineup looks like for the PS5, and what benchmarks look like when the 3070/3080 releases.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Why do you feel entitled to a brand new, next gen console at launch?

I can't afford a Ferrari (any of them), but I don't complain or feel entitled to their next top of the line model when it launches.

No one said that people of lesser means are not allowed in the gaming hobby, but they would be better served (financially) playing on previous gen, used current gen, or retro systems.

Videogames are a hobby/luxury, not a necessity.

Who are you to judge what people can and can't afford? If your referring to me specifically I can easily afford it I've just planned my spending this year so not to impact my finances too much on the month it comes out. I haven't complained about the price at all, hell I'd rather pay more and get the highest spec possible if it was solely what I wanted.

I'm not saying everyone has the right to one at all. What I'm saying is the few that have come into here and looked down on people that have had to save to buy something they want with their hard earned money. If they believe the price is worth it to them who are you to tell them they shouldn't go for it?

Let's not forget only a few months ago It was the minimum wage key workers going to work keeping everyone else safe, whilst a large percentage of those on a high wage stayed at home. Its these people your telling what they can or can not spend there money on. If you wanted to saved a percentage of your wage each month for a few years to get a Ferrari in your example then so what, I'd say if your that passionate about it and you've shown commitment then go for it, you've earned it.

Honestly the snobbery is shameful. And logistically the vast majority of the target audience for these consoles can't afford it outright solely in one month, hence the contention about the price and talk of payment plans etc. Without these people the consoles wouldn't enjoy the success and support they have had.

Gaming is a low cost hobby all things considered. Can we end the snobbery please.

Last edited:

Labadal

I have about €8000 that I can use specifically on gaming.

I'm not getting a PS5 early on. Maybe during its first price drop, or when a newer version arrives. I need a good gaming chair. I need a new kb+m combo, new headphones, and a new chair for my computer gaming. The top priority is a new PC, but I'll wait for the middle of next year. If I do that, I will most likely get a new monitor, too. If or when I get a PS5, if there's any gaming money left, I'll probably get a new TV.

Top Bottom