• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much prettier is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition? [Preview]

S1kkZ

that "preview" sounds like a press release. horrible. still excited about the definitive edition, since it will only cost me 35€.

Name me two characters other than Lara from the game. Describe their characters past what their role is. Did you care about the characters or what was happening in the plot, or just follow along from level to level? At least they made a good base for Lara's character, even though the lugoscabib discobiscuits ruins her character development where the cutscenes don't gel with her arrow-to-throat, machinegunfire-up-your-body killer during the gameplay.

The gameplay didn't have much issues though, it was just been there done that in plenty of other games in term of the mechanics. And the design clashes with previous Tomb Raider to come off (barely any tombs, no challenging platforming sections, no challenging puzzles, much more combat than exploration/puzzle-solving ratio) as a disappointment for fans.

Elios83

I'm sure it will look amazing but full price? No way.
If I can find a trade-in program with the PS3 version I might bite at 30$ because of the software drought until late February.

KORNdoggy

I would have rather they spent their effort finding a new voice for lara that wasn't annoying as hell tbh. Rather then change her face which didn't even need changing in the first place. Ultimately though, asking full price for this is a deus ex-like mistake. Old game should be priced like an old game, whether the protagonist has had a face lift or not. Or at the very least let us do a £10 trade upgrade? Either way this might be a bargain bin buy sometime in the far future. But i'm not exactly in a rush for that time to come.

If you're not interested in discussing it, then maybe dismissive blanket statements about issues with gameplay and story aren't a good contribution to the thread. More so when you aren't even willing to mention them.

Here's one.
Another from the same thread.
And yet another.

Happy now?

Edit:

Name me two characters other than Lara from the game. Describe their characters past what their role is. Did you care about the characters or what was happening in the plot, or just follow along from level to level? At least they made a good base for Lara's character, even though the lugoscabib discobiscuits ruins her character development where the cutscenes don't gel with her arrow-to-throat, machinegunfire-up-your-body killer during the gameplay.

The gameplay didn't have much issues though, it was just been there done that in plenty of other games in term of the mechanics. And the design clashes with previous Tomb Raider to come off (barely any tombs, no challenging platforming sections, no challenging puzzles, much more combat than exploration/puzzle-solving ratio) as a disappointment for fans.

This man. This man knows what's up.

amdnv

Why are people talking about 4K? The article mentions 4K textures (i.e. 4096x4096), not a 4K rendering resolution.

Name me two characters other than Lara from the game. Describe their characters past what their role is. Did you care about the characters or what was happening in the plot, or just follow along from level to level?

I didn't think they were deep characters by any means, but I did like them and occasionally cared about what happened to them. [note: I rarely remember character names from any story driven games I play]
-There was the gruff, tough leader guy who knew Lara since back when her father was alive and cared about her.
-There was the big, nice, Samoan (?) guy who knew how to cook.
-There was Lara's friend (yeah, she was pretty forgettable).
-There was the older woman who blamed Lara for the ship crash and had an implied relationship with the older captain guy.
-There was the super pompous archeologist guy whose pretty much only in it for the fame and saving his own skin.

That's probably more characters than I can describe from the Uncharted games. There's the fun-loving, joke-crakin' Drake and Sully, the reporter chick, the sexier chick from Farscape and later seasons of Stargate, and the guy who turns on you at some point.

KevKevinator

Neo Member
Hah hah!! PC is now the inferior version. This version even runs at cinematic quality for a real movie experience.

Such a constructive and useful comment.

On another note, any word if PC game is getting a patch for this? Because it's just a giant engine patch.

Gestault

Happy now?

Yes, I actually am. Or would have been, if "discussion" hadn't involving having to pry conversation from you, with your eventual response accompanied by a "jab" that you had actually contributed. I hope you choose another community to take part in. I want nothing to do with any of your opinions.

Forsythia

At least her face looks better in these screens, because the first shots didn't really convince me.

What bothers me about the face, though, is that they wanted her to be more realistic in this reboot, and now they're turning her into Barbie again. :/

diffusionx

Gold Member
PC version at high detail, 1080p, 60fps was amazingly beautiful. One of the best looking games I've played.

But if I already beat it on console I wouldn't replay it just for that. It's not that good.

SmartBase

I love how IGN editors are technically inept when they have to figure out if a game is 1080p or not, but they get all the bullet points and technical innovations exactly right when writing these ads previews.

Yeah, this.

Does this upgrade also make her face less derpy? I found it beyond distracting when I was watching someone else play.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Couple of new screens:

uUIld5l.jpg

Next-gen:
eMq6vSH.jpg

(from the film The Descent)

Gestault

I wish information on framerate was available. The underlying game was fun enough that if they've managed a cosmetic overhaul of an already good-looking game alongside a much smoother framerates on consoles, I think more people could justify this than otherwise might.

That said, anything thinking this won't price drop within three months hasn't paid attention to retail patterns for some time.

ehhhh still same problem with pc version where tressfx hair looks great but too great. you don't keep shampoo commerical quality hair while running through mud and shit.

Any info on if they improved animations?

While the animations were decent enough originally, still a far ways off from its main rival, Uncharted franchise.

UnrealEck

They talk about 4K textures (wowee 4K textures! that's almost like 4K renders of the entire engine!) and all this neat stuff then give us 1280x720 resolution screenshots? Come on mang.

This could be patched into the PC version very easily. BUUUUT then it would negate the 'definitiveness' of this edition. That's the reason it won't be on PC.

Oh and it looks nice anyway. I figured I should add that to keep certain people from jumping at me.

Selvaria

That's quite the graphical leap compared to the PS3 version. Looks good. Very much looking forward to playing it again.

Grief.exe

While the screen shots look good the trailer doesn't look any better than the PC version, it might just be the quality of the trailer but it didn't blow me away.

My guess is they are using a development PC to render the shots in high-resolution, then downsampling to 1080p.

They talk about 4K textures (wowee 4K textures! that's almost like 4K renders of the entire engine!) and all this neat stuff then give us 1280x720 resolution screenshots? Come on mang.

This could be patched into the PC version very easily. BUUUUT then it would negate the 'definitiveness' of this edition. That's the reason it won't be on PC.

Oh and it looks nice anyway. I figured I should add that to keep certain people from jumping at me.

They already have to downplay the existence of the PC version enough to justify this being called 'definitive.' They obviously don't want to draw anymore attention to the issue by making this available on PC.

Missed out on this due to generational fatigue. WIll definitely pick up the PS4 version, hoping I can find it somewhere where its not ridiculously priced.

jbug617

Banned
Already bought and played on 360 last year but willing to play it again after a big price drop ($25 or less).

rjc571

Banned
The did not verify it does in an interview.. said they are trying, which very likely means 30fps. I don't recall any prior console tomb raider being 60, so it will likely remain that way.

Angel of Darkness on PS2 was 60 fps, as was Legend on the original Xbox and Gamecube (but not on 360)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I still don't see the point of this version. Prettier graphics? That's it?

Considering you could get the PC version for $5 two weeks ago, and I'm sure you can buy a used copy really cheap, or a new copy under $20 right now (consoles or PC), I don't understand who is this for. The graphics for the game are already really good (I played the PC version maxxed though).

Is there a new episode? Something new?

Even if you just bought a PS4, don't you own a PS3 or Xbox360 and can play the same game right now?? In the history of remakes this must be the laziest.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

One of the guys was out for the fame whatever the cost, but his half-baked pursuit of fame without actual substance to his knowledge has caused him life.
Another guy is a supportive kind of person who knew Lara's family and acts as a supportive father figure.
Oh wow that was hard.

Top Bottom