• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much would you be willing to pay for Playstation 5 post Cerny news?

What is the price you are willing to pay for Playstation 5?

• $599+

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • $499

Votes: 165 58.5%
  • $399

Votes: 61 21.6%
  • $299 (with ads to support the difference)

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters

Romulus

Other than being cheap, I wonder what goes into someone's mind that thinks a $500 console is too much in 2020. Do they really not mind a gimped machine? $500 will barely get us anything remotely decent in this era. I guess people really want a crap cpu gain. Like it's fine to pay $400 but somehow another $100 just breaks the bank on a device they'll own for 7 years.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
$500
Seeing thst its most likely going to do ray tracing on the medium to low spectrum, and support checkerboard 8K, I think that's a fair cost.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
About £250, but then again I only have a Playstation for exclusives and tend to wait a refresh or two.

Iorv3th

399$. If it's 500$ I would still get it but I expect consoles to be about 400$ when they first come out and I have to buy one for my wife also.

leo-j

449-499 would launch a monster in 2020. Unless they are okay with loosing a lot of money at 399.

Considering the iPhone is $1100 nowadays, 499 shouldn’t be too steep for the average consumer anymore.

ZywyPL

Banned
Solely depends on the games and what they will offer. I don't see an issue in spending let's say 1k$ on a gaming console, my PC cost 4-5 times as much back in the day, but years keep passing by and it's still rocking hard, and will most likely be able to keep up with next-gen consoles for another decade or so. So if I see the consoles aren't underpowered, lacking something, and the games will look and perform flawlessly, and will serve me without issues for another decade or so when 8K kicks in, there is no upper limit for me personally.

JimiNutz

Banned
I recently paid £350 for a Pro with a couple of games (Spider-Man and Uncharted 4).
Based on that I'd be willing to pay £450 for a powerful PS5 at launch with no games.

GenericUser

I save money on things that are not impotant to me, gaming on the other hand is, so money is not the biggest issue here. I'd pay 600 or even 700 if the console is that good and if good games are available.

dalekjay

I mean, as another dude said, my phone is about 899 and in the end I use it for nothing, I rather have a ps5 that I will buy only one time next generation

farmerboy

Whatever. Its my hobby and Sony's exclusives resonate with me, so whatever it is, it is.

The PS5 will probably be the catalyst for a major upgrade for me;

4K tv
Atmos amp
Speaker upgrade
Favourite movies in 4K Bluray
PS5 plus accessories

If it has full BC or at least for PS4 titles then they can justify $500 easily. With all those AAA exclusives there day 1 given a 4K PS5 upscale, it would sell like gelato on a hot beach or coffee on a high street in the East End of London.

Sony has a huge advantage over MS in their AAA exclusive catalogue and I expect them to leverage that killer app DAY 1 to devastating effect (real talk).

mcz117chief

You take that back.
tenor.gif

ookami

I don't care if you prefer PC Gaming or whatever, I know a PC does a lot more but saying it's not worth it until it's $199 is ridiculous.
It's not. in my opinion, it depends on your situation. If you have a decent rig' which put you in the "sweet spot" of upgrades or performances then there is no point in paying $500. Even more, if you're just waiting for exclusives. Plus, you don't have to get all your games on day one. I still have so many to play on PS4/Switch and PC.
But it makes sense for someone just playing on console or having an outdated rig' which could be more expensive to upgrade to get a PS5 around $400/$500.

I also don't understand how there are still people thinking that the PC community is just about having a high-end PC and spit on other platforms when it concerns a minority. It is mostly about usage diversity and tweaking yourself your gaming experience. Plus, you can outlive a console cycle which is a strong point in my opinion if you have to pay more.

Last edited:
I literally just bought a PS4 on Black Friday, so it's really gonna depend on what the launch titles are. But I suppose reasonably if it was $500CND at launch I'd strongly consider it.

I would pay 600€ without qualms on launch.
Under 1000€ and I will still buy it on launch.
I'm more stingy spending on phones.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not american so don't know WTF those prices mean.

here in the UK anything below £500 is a day 1 purchase for me and only because i'll need to get a 4K tv as well. if i get a 4K tv earlier in the year then i guess there is no limit to what i'll pay. if it's £950 then i'll get it but it's never gonna be that expensive lmfao. the highest i can see them pricing it is £500.

bosnianpie

$499 seems fair for both consumers and Sony. I would say that anything beyond that would be streching it.

I also don't want to pay extra for VR functionality since I will never buy a headset. I hope they haven't been inspired by some wierd Kinect ideas.

not american so don't know WTF those prices mean.

here in the UK anything below £500 is a day 1 purchase for me and only because i'll need to get a 4K tv as well. if i get a 4K tv earlier in the year then i guess there is no limit to what i'll pay. if it's £950 then i'll get it but it's never gonna be that expensive lmfao. the highest i can see them pricing it is £500.

The weak value of the pound means UK price could match the American price in pounds.

But equally if it's $500 in US it can be £450 Blighty.

nani17

are in a big trouble
What if they do a pro version at launch as well. Remember that was a talked about for awhile

It could be 599

Last edited:

klosos

£499 British Pounds is the most id spend on a console , And i would only spend that if i know there 3-5 games coming that am interested in ( Bloodborne 2) , if not ill wait

Winter John

Gold Member
If you can make it so that I can play Sony's exclusives on PC, I'll agree with you, but theres not a single PC exclusive that entices me like Sony's library.

I'll take the cheaper prices, better performance, mods and no online paywall over any Sony/MS/Nintendo exclusive. As much as I like my PS4, I ain't paying more than $350 for a console.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
299.99 in like 4 years. Literally has nothing I want outside bc. I already know Sony will only make AAA games like GoW and TLOU in the future so meh. If it supports ps4 controllers (it won't) 399.99.

Romulus

I'll take the cheaper prices, better performance, mods and no online paywall over any Sony/MS/Nintendo exclusive. As much as I like my PS4, I ain't paying more than $350 for a console.

It's also been that way for PC, nothing has changed.

PS5 will eventually be $350, but probably $400 for a lot longer. It's just weird, $350 is fine, but $400? Hell no! lol It's like $50 is just a bank breaker when you already have a PC probably 3x the entire cost of the console, suddenly a paywall with free games at $8 per month is a backbreaker too. Just bizarre price setting, but you do you. Not sure how $50 savings translates to an awesome deal suddenly when it drops to $350.

Last edited:
I have so much invested in my xbox digital library now MS would really need to screw up on the next console to get me to switch

Winter John

Gold Member
It's also been that way for PC, nothing has changed.

PS5 will eventually be $350, but probably $400 for a lot longer. It's just weird, $350 is fine, but $400? Hell no! lol It's like $50 is just a bank breaker when you already have a PC probably 3x the entire cost of the console, suddenly a paywall with free games at $8 per month is a backbreaker too. Just bizarre price setting, but you do you. Not sure how $50 savings translates to an awesome deal suddenly when it drops to $350.

$350 is the upper limit I'd pay and for that I'd expect free games and a few months free PS+. Otherwise $200-$250 is a reasonable price. I got a 4 yr old pc that can easily handle any console port. Bought it for $300 off Ebay. Switched out the power supply and it plays new games just fine. For the cost of a new console I could get myself a half decent video card that would make the PS5 look like a Nintendo Gameboy. Still, if you think a $500 console is worth buying you do you.

Romulus

$350 is the upper limit I'd pay and for that I'd expect free games and a few months free PS+. Otherwise $200-$250 is a reasonable price. I got a 4 yr old pc that can easily handle any console port. Bought it for $300 off Ebay. Switched out the power supply and it plays new games just fine. For the cost of a new console I could get myself a half decent video card that would make the PS5 look like a Nintendo Gameboy. Still, if you think a $500 console is worth buying you do you.

I would hope a 4-year-old PC can handle PS4 games, PS4 is 6 years old.

But your 4-year-old PC was $300 and can handle console ports currently. That makes sense. But somehow, you'll be able to buy a "half decent" video card that makes PS5(specs unknown) look like.... gameboy? Um. Okay. Let's see some screenshots of those games, I'd like to see that.

What about your CPU? You said you only switched out the power supply so that means everything is 4 years old. Yeah, and I will spend the $500 on the console if I like the games. Lots of us PC owners do.

$500 is nothing for most professional working people. This isn't 1997. Many of us spend double that on phones without blinking. I don't because mine works fine as is, but its just not much money in 2019 if its something we like. I'll forget I ever spent it.

Last edited:
£600 if there are day one exclusives/ cross gen titles like the last of us 2, ghost of tsushima and gran turismo 7, otherwise i feel £500 is about right.

For it to succeed it needs to be less than £450 imo.

Iced Arcade

Yea I got some friends in Canada who just won't buy full priced games. I think I had i bad with 60 bucks...I think that's close to 90 for you guys right?
yeah $90 is gross. when prices were lower I bought tons of games but now reserve to known titles.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Unless PS develops a multiplayer IP I care about I am probably going back to Xbox next gen. Sony literally makes basically the same SP 3rd person action game over and over again, albeit with minor differences or different genre, and gets away with it. I waited the entire gen for a First Party BR, or at least a quality fps, and got nothing other than the shitty launch killzone.

Sony just isn't for me I guess.

sn0man

I think $499 is reasonable and I’m willing to pay it but I’m also willing to pay $599. I just want to get an awesome piece of hardware that will last the whole generation.
Other than being cheap, I wonder what goes into someone's mind that thinks a $500 console is too much in 2020. Do they really not mind a gimped machine? $500 will barely get us anything remotely decent in this era. I guess people really want a crap cpu gain. Like it's fine to pay $400 but somehow another $100 just breaks the bank on a device they'll own for 7 years.

Doing the math; launch day purchase $100 would be $1.20 a month for that time span.

The issue for us is not the price but the ecosystem. Sony should honestly make a $549 box and take a loss to sell it at around $449. Not because we wouldn’t buy it but because they need install base of lots of people.

Backwards compatibility could also be a driver of sales. If for example existing controllers work for PS4 backwards compatible games then a lot of the existing ecosystem could be convinced to get on board.

Being older with disposable income I’d buy one if it’s hardware BC, on day one. But as it’s a closed system (like all consoles) they need the masses so maybe $449 is what they’ll shoot for. Though I think a number of gaming enthusiasts might be sad (me included) I could see it coming in at $399.

Whatever. Its my hobby and Sony's exclusives resonate with me, so whatever it is, it is.

The PS5 will probably be the catalyst for a major upgrade for me;

4K tv
Atmos amp
Speaker upgrade
Favourite movies in 4K Bluray
PS5 plus accessories

Same. I was already kind of waiting for hdmi 2.1 for a tv but I pipe everything through a receiver and was on the fence about when to get a receiver. I’ll definitely be waiting on more complete 2.1 offerings. What brand receivers do you like? I’ve been pretty fanboi about Yamaha through the years so it’s kind of their race to lose personally.

Top Bottom