• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you buy games at launch?

Fbh

Like once or at most twice a year.
I don't really see the point most of the time. There's so much stuff to play, and almost every non nintendo game is like $40 after a month and $30 within 6 months (not permanently, but on sales).

Right now the only studio that can consistently get me to buy stuff on day one is FROM. Both because I love their games and want to play them ASAP, and also simply because I want to support them and see them selling well so they kept them coming

RoboFu

One of the green rats
these it really depends. if its a top tier game like a new mario,zelda, soulsbourne of course day one. but most things I can wait for a sale.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I pre-order and buy every game that I want to play day one. If it's a game that has post launch expansions like AC Valhalla, Immortals Fenyx Rising, etc., I buy it digitally but otherwise, it's physical. Only games I don't buy are those that will be available on Game Pass day one that I also want to play day one.

johntown

Banned
I used to all the time but i have been burned too many times. I now wait for 90% of games for about a month to get a good set of reviews. From Software is about the only day one I will buy.

Kokoloko85

Alot of the time. Its mostly because I want to play them right away, havent regretted any I bought on launch.

Some games I bought on launch last few years:

Bloodborne - I love Miyazaki games and ended up loving this
Sekiro - Same as above
Fire Emblem 3 Houses - TRPG’s are my favourite genre
God of War - I really wanted to try it and play, ended up loving it
MGSV - I love Kojima games and I spent over 400 hours in the game so well worth it
Demon Souls - Loved the original and loved this too
Resident Evil 7, 2 and 3 - Big fan of the series so why wait

Some games I waited for discount:

Mario Odessy
Spider Man
Ghost of Tsushima
Witcher 3
Pillars of Eternity
Batman

Funny enough I regretted Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity, never the ones I got on launch

Last edited:

Arkam

A few times a year usually. Most PlayStation and Nintendo first party I tend to get at launch. Beyond that its usually just the really big AAA games (RDR2, GTV, FF7R, etc). Probably only THPS 1/2 would be the only exception to this, but that was based on some heavy nostalgia.

For most other third party games I pick up down the line and on sale.

ReBurn

Gold Member
ive bought two for Switch in the past 6 month but only because I knew I would enjoy them. The last one before that was RDR2, and it was worth it.

Well I'm only interested in games that gets no sequels as GaaS.

I hate cod being GaaS because you can grind so much and next year a new gets released which means that everything you worked for is gone.

So... Are some gaas acceptable while others aren't?
It's subjective, of course. Generally, people seem to have much less of a problem with games following this model if the cost of entry is small or nonexistent.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Almost never. I have plenty of great games to play and I am a cheap ass.

The last game I bough full price (other than a sub 20 dollar indie type game) was Doom Eternal. Before that I honestly cant remember.

Ellery

Mostly just the absolute Top Dawgs of the Top Dawgs. Microsoft basically started to hyperinflated their games so I don't count paying 1$ for a month as buying a game at launch.

Everything that Naughty Dog touches is Day1 for sure. Well Playstation in general when it comes to AAA Exclusive Single Player games. For new IPs like Returnal, Kena, Forspoken etc. I will wait for reviews.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Very often, games I decided to buy are the games I'm excited to play and I don't want to wait, like the upcoming Monster Hunter Rise.

Last edited:
Less and less as time goes on. Not worth it these days for the most part.

...except Nintendo who aren't going to drop that price anyway.

sublimit

Banned
It really depends on the game,developer,collector's edition (although i have mostly stopped buying those) and how close to each other those games i really want are released.

There are certain game series and developers i will always buy on day 1 though. That is of course if i have the system they are being released on. However i usually don't buy systems just for 1-2 exclusive games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom