• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking into a PS5 and it seems insane to not spend the extra $70 CAD for the disc version based on some physical vs digital game prices I am seeing

Sushi_Combo

How us it a rip off to save $50 and get a nicer looking machine if you never buy discs? Can't understand why people continue to assume that options for consumers are "dumb" just because it doesn't happen to fit them.

Akin to saying a burger without cheese for $1.99 is vs a cheeseburger for $2.29 is a ripoff because you like cheeseburgers.
Or that a Iphone 15 is a ripoff vs and iphone 15 plus because you like bigger screens.
Because you objectively get fewer options in accessing games and are solely reliant on a closed platform to serve you.

Last edited:
It's not our fault if you are unable to see or need the other benefits of digital, but go ahead and call half the forum "retards"

Explain to me exactly how I lose out on trading and selling if I don't don't trade or sell my games?

I also:
- never lose a game
- never have a borrowed game not returned
- never damage a game
- can play any one of my games at any time on any console
- can switch between games in about 5 seconds with quick resume
- can easily search and organize my games by keyword, platform, etc
- since I own hundreds of games, I have no storage issues
- I can share my games with my kids easily even if they are not in the same house

I'm sure you will have zero answer for the question about not selling games, and pretend all of the above shouldn't matter to me for some magical reason. But go ahead and keep making statements of "fact" for everyone.
Just don't curse on open microphones with PlayStation or Xbox, or they might ban your account and you'll lose all your stuff in one basket. Sony even temp banned that God of War creator because he said something about Rivet's sexuality on social media. They can gotcha at any moment over anything these days.

You also don't give up your consumer rights so it's not only about having to get up from couch.

That's also true but again I don't want to get up from my couch. That matters more to me then trying to protect my consumer rights for video games. As long as I can continue to play Mass Effect for the rest of my life I'm good.

Sushi_Combo

That's also true but again I don't want to get up from my couch. That matters more to me then trying to protect my consumer rights for video games. As long as I can continue to play Mass Effect for the rest of my life I'm good.
When the game gets completely pulled and your download is locked, you'll need to get up from your crusty old couch to pick up a physical copy.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Because you objectively get fewer options in accessing games and are solely reliant on a closed platform to serve you.

It's fine, I don't access the other forms for games making then irrelevent, and by the time they "take away" the games, I will be able to emulate them on a toast from a flash drive the size of my finger. Still more convienient that firing up some old ancient console anyhow.

Puscifer

As long as something is willing to get off their ass to change a disc, physical is usually cheaper, but it does ebb and flow. Sometimes there might be a digital deal while the disc is at regular price. You can also dump discs for $10 or $20 if you are tired of it.
Not even. I snagged Hitman 3 off eBay for 35 dollars a month after it came out and it took nearly 2 years for it to reach that on digital.

Puscifer

Just don't curse on open microphones with PlayStation or Xbox, or they might ban your account and you'll lose all your stuff in one basket. Sony even temp banned that God of War creator because he said something about Rivet's sexuality on social media. They can gotcha at any moment over anything these days.
Woah what the fuck!?

Sushi_Combo

It's fine, I don't access the other forms for games making then irrelevent, and by the time they "take away" the games, I will be able to emulate them on a toast from a flash drive the size of my finger. Still more convienient that firing up some old ancient console anyhow.
That's great for you.

zokie

i am into digital nowadays but i need to buy a PS5 Slim with disc drive because i got some physical PS4 games that are either out of print or removed from digital store.
One of the games is Godzilla https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/100025-godzilla/boxes

And i did the math as well , this are based in my country's currency
PS5slim with disc drive - $800
Digital Console - $670
Optional Disc Drive - $160

i rather buy the PS5Slim with disc drive and save $30 and buy a digital game

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's great for you.

Which was really my whole point, that your sweeping statement of "fact" that it's a rip off as if it's global statement for everyone doesn't hold true for a lot of people. Thus the reason the machine exists in the first place.

Sushi_Combo

Which was really my whole point, that your sweeping statement of "fact" that it's a rip off as if it's global statement for everyone doesn't hold true for a lot of people. Thus the reason the machine exists in the first place.
Umm you do have LESS options which is a FACT. But it is up to the buyer to determine which devices provides value to them.

If you find the digital version better for you, then that's great, you are the target audience for that device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom