• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking into a PS5 and it seems insane to not spend the extra $70 CAD for the disc version based on some physical vs digital game prices I am seeing

Beechos

IMOQ-320x224.jpg
Damn lol

DaGwaphics

Much of this problem is just solved by not buying digital games outside of sales. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Digital prices will often get a lot closer to new physical prices during big sales. Although that 1 pound deal would probably be hard to match.

Last edited:
As an example, looking at some games I may want to buy and retailers here have NBA 2K24 for $29.99, but on the PS Store it is currently $79.99.

How often do scenarios like this happen where there is such a drastic price difference? How often do digital games go on sale vs in store?

NBA2K is a poor example, because at some point during the summer it’s going to go on sale digitally for about $3 CAD. I love physical, but I buy digital far more often these days because the sales are often better, this only applies to older titles though, if you want a game that’s a couple years old or more, unless the game is a turd and no one wants it, digital (when on sale) will usually be cheaper, for more popular titles the sale prices are often going to be the same, for new releases the prices are always the same in Canada.

You should definitely get the disc version of the PS5 either way though, you don’t want to be stuck all digital.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As long as something is willing to get off their ass to change a disc, physical is usually cheaper, but it does ebb and flow. Sometimes there might be a digital deal while the disc is at regular price. You can also dump discs for $10 or $20 if you are tired of it.

Puscifer

Physical is cheaper even on release dates, enjoy your all digital future and being scammed
All digital PS5 is an even bigger scam now, the 100 dollar incentive was brought down to 50 so you're not even getting an upfront deal now that it's been out for a few years and exclusives are out with price drops

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
honestly physical games sort of feel beneath me at this point. It’s a similar situation to the PSP GO so to speak

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This unfortunately doesn't work for me. Even though I have the disc version of the PS5 slim. But what you say must be true to those in a region this applies.

For me, pretty much every physical game costs more. That's because I live in the Caribbean. So by the time you add shipping and duties to the cost of everything I buy, I am paying 70% + $8 more on EVERYTHING (53% duties + 17% VAT + $8/lb shipping). I practically have to wait till the duty and VAT reduction months in Nov/December to buy the pricier items like TVs/Projectrors....etc.

I am sure you can see how the PS store is a Godsend to someone like me.
Good and well deserved.

While we're here freezing our asses, you're on the beach sipping pina coladas. You deserve to pay more.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One thing about physical is if the game tanks the price tanks hard with it like the immortals $1 above.

Dollarama dumped Titanfall 2 back in the day for $4.

And when shit hit the fan with CP2077, where reviews were hit and miss and sales underperformed, Best Buy was dumping them at $10 early next year and I think it even included a free steel case.

You never saw the digital games get chopped like that. So for you bargain hunters, hope a game you want tanks and you’ll see discs for under $10.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep. Here in Sweden all games are cheaper physically from day 1. The difference can be up to 200 SEK (almost $20) for a brand new AAA game. As long as that's true I'm not going digital. Why pay more for something worse (can't lend out, resell, etc)?

Last edited:

Jesb

I can’t remember the last game I bought physical. Don’t I bought a single one since the 360/ps3 era.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I bought the digital at launch as it was the only one out there I could find.

I love digital but miss having the options of before.

Rbk_3

All digital PS5 is an even bigger scam now, the 100 dollar incentive was brought down to 50 so you're not even getting an upfront deal now that it's been out for a few years and exclusives are out with price drops

I just got the Spider-Man bundle and once I sell the code it’ll basically be zero difference

Deraj

In Australia, I sometimes get anywhere from 50 to 100 % back with PS5 discs.
1. Buy game at deep sale on Amazon - eg. Forespoken $19, Hot Wheels 2 $35, Lego Star Wars Skywalker Saga $38.00.
2. Put game on Ebay auction for a bit less.
3. Receive close to what I paid for the game.

StereoVsn

You can also watch 4K Blu-ray disks and normally the quality is quite a bit higher va streaming Netflix or Disney 4K as an example.

Basically unless you are completely against physical media, the box with the drive will always make more sense.

If you want games as cheap as possible then yea get the disc drive. I'm willing to pay more if it means I don't have to get up from my couch.

I have both PS5 and Series X with drives - for all I know neither actually even works, as neither has ever encountered a disc. I will never find out.

Mr.Phoenix

Good and well deserved.

While we're here freezing our asses. You're on the beach sipping pina coladas. You deserve to pay more.
Them silver linings.... Now that you mention it, the only thing thats "cheap" over here is the alcohol.

On PlayStation I'm mostly physical and will only buy a digital game if it's significantly cheaper. Same goes for Nintendo. Only reason I'm digital on Xbox is their customer service and refund policy is miles better than the others.

If Sony and Nintendo ever offered free cloud saves, a digital refund policy and better backwards compatibility I'd consider going full digital.

sendit

Freakin forspoken is 70$ on ps store, while you can buy new physical copy for 15$ :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I look at this way, those spending $15 to preserve Forspoken forever, versus spending $70 digitally on Forspoken with the potential for wide spread data loss. I see the greater evil being spending $15 to preserve possibly one of the worse games in the past 40 years.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Having to get up from my recliner just to change games (or a movie)?! Not a fucking chance! Anyway PS Store has pretty frequent sales. But once the sale ends the prices return to normal. With physical seems like when stores drop the price of a game it stays at that price or goes lower. Never really understood why there is such a disparity in price for new games for digital and physical in some countries.

xrnzaaas

Depends on the games. Some titles can drop their digital prices rather fast, but others hold on. Sony's PS5 games are the best example here - they maintain high prices in the PS Store and get small sales (20-30% off max), while you can easily buy a cheaper disc copy.

Obviously there's also the case of selling the game once you've finished it. Can't do that with the digital copy.

Last edited:

Bojji

I'm impatient

Of course everyone can buy games in whatever way they desire. Digital has some convince benefits but what drives me nuts are people that say things like this:

"Physical needs to die"

"It's good that new Xbox will be digital only"

Etc.

I don't know if people like that are mentally challenged or paid by corporations because once Nintendo and Sony make digital only consoles everything WILL get worse for consumers, there is no question about it. Unlike pc you have not other stores on consoles, zero competition.

It is incredibly silly that the digital versions of the games are more expensive when it costs them less to send it to you digitally than it does packaging the game and sending it to stores for you to buy

It's like publishers just decided everyone should pay some digital tax on everything

Saying that I buy every single one of my PS5 games digital, but that's just because I'm too lazy to get up and swap the disc in my console
Far from me to try and defend CEO's and their payrolls but development cost didnt magically decreased just because there arent brick&mortar costs involved.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Physical being way cheaper overall is a made up gaf thing, 98% of the time, at least in north america on new pricing. Both physical go on sale, most often both are the same price, sometimes physical is cheaper, other times digital is cheaper.

Used physical can be cheaper, and of course none of the above factors in resale if you are into selling your games.

I personally wouldn't trade the conveineince of digital regardless of pricing, but to each their own.

Bojji

Physical being way cheaper overall is a made up gaf thing, 98% of the time, at least in north america on new pricing. Both physical go on sale, most often both are the same price, sometimes physical is cheaper, other times digital is cheaper.

Used physical can be cheaper, and of course none of the above factors in resale if you are into selling your games.

I personally wouldn't trade the conveineince of digital regardless of pricing, but to each their own.

In Poland pretty much every new game is cheaper:

fxsRmX2.jpg

I bought it for 299 zł (PLN) one day before launch and now it's even cheaper (New):

ITRTvaE.jpg

I have used the disc drive with one game on PS4 and not yet on PS5 at all. I own no discs, in essence I own no games these gens at all. Even the drives on the PS3s saw less action than the number of games I played as a download. Disc drives are a waste of money for me. I own 4 BR drives from Sony products and in retrospect I would have played a dozen games or so just later and saved quite some money if all never had a drive and Sony always had offered a 100 bucks discount.

RoboCain

I live in the thirld world and not only our PSN is more expensive than US, but retailers can charge up to USD150 for a physical game. Digital AND very steep discount is the only way for me.

Now, the disc drive has its uses you can watch bluray movies or play delisted games.

Last edited:

Bond007

Hey, but retards rather not swap a disc for convenience.
Pay more, lose ability to own, trade, sell. No thanks.

Get this fuckin Gamepass shit outta my face when it comes to pushing a digital future. Concurrent service and disc cool- but thats not Microsofts goal here. Their goal is never what has the best for us in mind, it starts off nice though. First i recall is paying to play online for something that was free. But it was such a "DEAL" it forced the rest of the industry to react. Look at us now....

SRTtoZ

Don’t make the mistake of not buying it. My friend regrets going digital because any time he wants a game it’s not on sale and he can’t buy the $20 version on Amazon.

Get this fuckin Gamepass shit outta my face when it comes to pushing a digital future. Concurrent service and disc cool- but thats not Microsofts goal here. Their goal is never what has the best for us in mind, it starts off nice though. First i recall is paying to play online for something that was free. But it was such a "DEAL" it forced the rest of the industry to react. Look at us now....
Rich retard here, breathing in that sweet smell of convenience of being able to play anything on the three consoles in my home without carrying a bit of plastic between them all.

THE DUCK

It's not our fault if you are unable to see or need the other benefits of digital, but go ahead and call half the forum "retards"

Explain to me exactly how I lose out on trading and selling if I don't don't trade or sell my games?

I also:
- never lose a game
- never have a borrowed game not returned
- never damage a game
- can play any one of my games at any time on any console
- can switch between games in about 5 seconds with quick resume
- can easily search and organize my games by keyword, platform, etc
- since I own hundreds of games, I have no storage issues
- I can share my games with my kids easily even if they are not in the same house

I'm sure you will have zero answer for the question about not selling games, and pretend all of the above shouldn't matter to me for some magical reason. But go ahead and keep making statements of "fact" for everyone.

Metnut

Changing games with physical discs is actually quite easy and quick. Press the eject button and disc comes out. Put disc away. Insert new disc.

Takes less than 10 seconds. Even a newbie can probably figure out in less than half a minute.

Bojji

It's not our fault if you are unable to see or need the other benefits of digital, but go ahead and call half the forum "retards"

Explain to me exactly how I lose out on trading and selling if I don't don't trade or sell my games?

I also:
- never lose a game
- never have a borrowed game not returned
- never damage a game
- can play any one of my games at any time on any console
- can switch between games in about 5 seconds with quick resume
- can easily search and organize my games by keyword, platform, etc
- since I own hundreds of games, I have no storage issues
- I can share my games with my kids easily even if they are not in the same house

I'm sure you will have zero answer for the question about not selling games, and pretend all of the above shouldn't matter to me for some magical reason. But go ahead and keep making statements of "fact" for everyone.

Valid points but your account can be hacked or banned by console maker (for valid reasons or by mistake) and you lose everything. They can also just shut down their services and you can't do shit about it.

Papa_Wisdom

Yup as I main Xbox I’m still a physical gamer all the way.

I only buy digital to replace my physical games when there super cheap.

I just bought the shadow of war/Mordor collection last night digital for £9, no brainier £4 for carmageddon etc

Until games I’m interested in hit that kind of price point I won’t buy digital games.

I think the most I’ve ever paid is like £20 for Nier automata and psychonaughts 2.

Still need to get a physical version of resi evil remake 4.

THE DUCK

Valid points but your account can be hacked or banned by console maker (for valid reasons or by mistake) and you lose everything. They can also just shut down their services and you can't do shit about it.

You can lose your entire physical collection to theft or fire. They can also shut you down even if you own the disks in a modern console, or years down the road cripple the Auth system or have cmos go bad.

Also they can't take my entire digital collection easily as it's split between 4 platforms.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

I just wished the disc version didn't have that cyst bulge disk drive. Otherwise it's kind of a ripoff to get the digital edition in almost every way.

THE DUCK

I just wished the disc version didn't have that cyst bulge disk drive. Otherwise it's kind of a ripoff to get the digital edition in almost every way.

How us it a rip off to save $50 and get a nicer looking machine if you never buy discs? Can't understand why people continue to assume that options for consumers are "dumb" just because it doesn't happen to fit them.

Akin to saying a burger without cheese for $1.99 is vs a cheeseburger for $2.29 is a ripoff because you like cheeseburgers.
Or that a Iphone 15 is a ripoff vs and iphone 15 plus because you like bigger screens.

angrod14

This is a very relative subject. Most people forget that the deals you get in North America and Europe don't necessarily apply to the rest of the world.

In my home country (Paraguay), you will never see the physical deals you see in NA. All games here are imported, so if a new physical release cost USD 69.99 in the US, here is going to cost you around USD 90 to 95. As time goes on, those games are going to drop in price, but the drop is never going to be under USD 50 or, if the game is ancient, USD 25.

We can also buy the game from Amazon US and pay to get the game shipped across the fucking continent. That would be a bit cheaper than buying the game here locally, but you have to be willing to wait the two weeks the game is going to take to get to your city...

OR, you can purchase directly the game on your console and download it from the comforts of your home, in the matter of hours. The PS Store has insane deals every single week, deals we would never, ever get here. You can purchase the game on the day of release, and pay the true price (59 or 69 USD), instead of the bloated prices we get locally. And, as a plus, you won't have to deal with discs in order to play.

The digital PS5 is a better deal for people like me, and people who overall moved to digital entirely, since that way you don't have to pay for a feature you will never use. And if later you're so adamant in buying physical, you can just purchase the disc drive separately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom