• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How the fuck was I supposed to know that" moments in video games

terrible

Banned
ba0666606d5fdff170d9234a4b3246882a984c79.jpg

This one. I borrowed the cartridge as a kid, didn't have a manual with it at the time.

I didn't have that piece of paper either but luckily my friend had it. I will never forget that code.

what a dumb idea

Never had any problems with Sonic (lol) or MGS as you're told to look at the back of the case, not box.

The only time I got stuck is in Zelda games. I STILL get stuck at the same place everytime in OOT.

Playing through Broken Sword 5 right now and two puzzles stick out in it.

The first is a mild reference to a Disney movie, which despite having seen and knowing rather well I just didn't get and had to google for the answer because I wasn't expecting the game to throw a puzzle at me that required knowledge and references not found inside the game.

The second was the ability to read music, which I could just about remember enough of from school about 17 years ago, but for anyone who couldn't that is a game stopper right there until they hit google.

Dislike these sorts of puzzles.

Also I originally rented MGS, so had no box to reference for the codec. Had to go through each frequency 1 by 1 until found it.

The fish/suicide attempt is when Celes
is on the Solitary Island trying to keep Cid alive. You can save him by giving him fast moving fish. If he dies, Celes tries to kill herself, unsuccessfully

In CT,
you can go back in time during the "resurrect the forest" sidequest late in the game in order to save Lucca's mom from becoming crippled. You have to input a password (LARA) to stop the machine from mangling her

Huh. I guess I never noticed because in FFVI I
caught the right fish
. And despite playing CT multiple times I never
didn't save Lucca's mom.
Neat to know those things can end differently!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I played through the story and the strikes, got to level 20, and am still baffled at how most of the game systems work. My items, the various reputations and vanguards and marks and whatever else. No idea how that stuff works. I know there are guides, including some good ones here on GAF. But very little is actually explained in the game. There's no in-game explanations for its own systems.

Huh. Maybe it's because I play a lot of MMOs, but I actually find Destiny's rep/currency system to be oversimplified. I wish it was more complex.

Oemenia

Banned
The only Zelda games I've played are ALTTP and LADX, and while I loved the dungeons the exploration parts in-between practically require a guide to find even the necessary stuff. Would love to play Minish Cap but can't be bothered to read and follow a guide after every dungeon.

Also P&C games.

Dremark

Banned
30-FFA_8_30.png

OH YEAH PALM TREES AND 8 YEAH NO THAT'S REALLY EASY TO FIGURE OUT YEAH GREAT HINT

MAYBE IF THE TREES WERE STACKED ON TOP OF EACH OTHER?

Fucking horse shit is what this is.

This one was obvious to me for some reason. I was pretty surprised so many years later seeing that people on the Internet had trouble figuring it out.

KarasuEXE

I didn't have a problem with the barrel at Carnival Night.

I used to jump on it a few times, to gain momentum, than just tap the jump button twice and while Sonic was going Super, the barrel would just clip him and when the transformation was over, Sonic was already (luckly) under it and I could continue the level.

Yeah.

But my recent "How the fuck was I supposed to know that" moments came from earlier this year, on my first playthrough of The Secret of Monkey Island™. Modern games have spoiled me so much that I had to suffer to find where I had to go or what I had to do. Regardless of that, it's one of my favorite games now.

Silent Hill: Downpour. The puzzle with the 5 buttons of different colours labeled A,B,C,D, and E. Never figured out how to know which ones to press. I first played the game with puzzles set to hard and never figured it out, even though I'm damn certain the poem you get off the electrocuted body gives the hint to help you figure it out, but I went delusional trying to solve it. I ended up reading into the wording waaaaaaay too much. I eventually guessed the solution (which wasn't even remotely satisfying). Then I restarted the game with the puzzles on normal hoping I would be able to figure it out then, but nope. Different poem, but still succumbed to delusional reasoning trying to solve it. I still don't know how you figure it out.

rtcn63

Silent Hill: Downpour. The puzzle with the 5 buttons of different colours labeled A,B,C,D, and E. Never figured out how to know which ones to press. I first played the game with puzzles set to hard and never figured it out, even though I'm damn certain the poem you get off the electrocuted body gives the hint to help you figure it out, but I went delusional trying to solve it. I ended up reading into the wording waaaaaaay too much. I eventually guessed the solution (which wasn't even remotely satisfying). Then I restarted the game with the puzzles on normal hoping I would be able to figure it out then, but nope. Different poem, but still succumbed to delusional reasoning trying to solve it. I still don't know how you figure it out.

I was able to figure it out on normal, and I'm generally terrible at these things, so probably not too bad. The clues were there. The previous Silent Hill stuff posted earlier in the thread- Fuck that.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Dark Souls 2: How the hell was I supposed to know the stat requirements for power stance? I could have gone through the entire game with a dual-wielding character without knowing about power stance if I didn't look it up.

I was able to figure it out on normal, and I'm generally terrible at these things, so probably not too bad. The clues were there. The previous Silent Hill stuff posted earlier in the thread- Fuck that.
That's what bothers me. I see all this this SH stuff posted in this thread that I had no trouble with, but I can't get this one.

It is with complete honesty that I can say I literally spent several hours trying to figure it out.

Oh well, it's halloween soon and I plan to revisit the game. Hopefully I can get it this time.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I guess that's why games nowadays highlight relevant parts of in-game text. But to be fair the game did break the 4th wall on this and sort of did it again later on with Psychomantis.

Psychomantis - the thread

Any Contra game. The only thing you know is that you're going to die.
hahaha yeah, this is so true. One of the things that makes the game good though. Going back to the most recent Contra game I played (Contra 4) one of those moments was the part with that rocket that would launch at the end of the stage.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dark Souls 2: How the hell was I supposed to know the stat requirements for power stance? I could have gone through the entire game with a dual-wielding character without knowing about power stance if I didn't look it up.
Very good point. It's a shame too, I wonder how many people are missing out on this, powerstancing is quite possibly the best new feature from DkS2.

Veggy

MGS seems almost impossible to play without knowing the language. Just about every important mechanic is communicated verbally.

After spending hours trying to figure out what to do, I ended up manually going through every codec frequency until I finally hit Meryl's

I can't remember how I got past Psycho Mantis though, gonna have to ask my cousin on that one. He was watching me play most of the time

After spending hours trying to figure out what to do, I ended up manually going through every codec frequency until I finally hit Meryl's

I can't remember how I got past Psycho Mantis though, gonna have to ask my cousin on that one. He was watching me play most of the time

How'd you figure out the card keys?

MGS seems almost impossible to play without knowing the language. Just about every important mechanic is communicated verbally.

Furreal. I've contemplated importing them all, but I know all of those games (and all of the dialogue) in and out like the back of my hand.

I think I just fluked it by taking a bathroom or food break while in the cold room then coming back and noticing the card was blue

Dude. This is legendary. Like, my brother beating OoT with a flight-stick, legendary. How did you even know that you needed to call someone at all?! Just guessing?? Why exactly were you playing the Japanese version?

hc1.jpg

Mario RPG. The very first hidden treasure chest is in a spot you can only get to in the beginning of the game, and before you even knew that hidden treasure chests were a thing.

To make an example of Sierra logic, I really hated this part in KQ6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwyebiyEj6I

The answers to those were in the manual. It wasn't a "puzzle" so much as "copy protection." Some games front-loaded it so you couldn't play at all without it (Colonel's Bequest,) some were like this where they let you get through some of the game before you hit it, and some were nearly entirely manual-based (Freddy Pharkas.)

Anyway, my answer would be the Quadrilineal Synthesis in Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker. Some of the best monsters require fusing two monsters with specific parents. Only nowhere in the game do they tell you which ones, so you either spend your time fusing otherwise-good monsters into not-so-good ones, then fusing THOSE for thousands of combinations, or you use a guide. I think the only one they hinted at was Mumboh-jumboe but that was sort of obvious because it's made of "mum"&"boh" & "jum"&"boe". I have no idea how anyone figured the others out. It was either super-exhaustive searching or hacking.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Simon the Sorceror 2.

How do you get past the mutant pig with 47 ears? It's so stunningly obvious. You wear the two dogs you've been carrying around with you for no reason. How did I not think of that?

shem935

Banned
One of the first battle network games when you had to solve a riddle to get through a door on a stupid ship. Pretty sure something was lost in translation because I remember the solution being completely contrary to everything the riddle said.

FFXII - the zodiac spear... There are 3 or 4 random chests in the game that you can't open if you want to get one of the best weapons in the game. There's no indication of this at all, the chests look completely normal. I still don't understand why they would do that haha.

Santiako

FFXII - the zodiac spear... There are 3 or 4 random chests in the game that you can't open if you want to get one of the best weapons in the game. There's no indication of this at all, the chests look completely normal. I still don't understand why they would do that haha.

It was clearly to sell you the strategy guide. Really crappy move by them.

Sammyzuko

Neo Member

I'm NG+2 and this is the first I've heard of a power stance.

Top Bottom