• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How the hell Killzone survived 10 years is beyond me

BadAss2961

Yeah but I don't have patience for such mundane experiences. And if my word isn't enough well look around you son, people have played it, reviews are out and the SP is generally regarded as trash and the MP uninspired. The franchise is just a bloody showpiece for Sony and that's all it delivers, pretty visuals.
This thread is a mixed bag of opinions though. Surely you've seen the large amount of people claiming to love the series, saying it's the best multiplayer around right now. How can you ignore all that?

In fact, most of the people shitting on the series in this thread have barely even played it. Like you.

The problem is, even if you don't like COD or Halo or Battlefield, you can at least see what they excel at or offer over their competitors.

Halo is colorful, easy to get into, streamlined almost like an arcade experience, uses vehicles and features a unique sci fi setting.

COD has perks, fast paced gameplay, ultra responsive shooting mechanics, heavy customization, plenty of game modes on offer and an always active community.

Battlefield is more realistic, features a class system, has full scale destruction, land/air/sea vehicles, massive maps and a huge player versus player count.

Killzone has... pretty graphics? Seriously, there's nothing it does or features that the competition doesn't already do or does better. It's not awful by any stretch of the imagination, but it's just so middle of the road that it can be quite hard for non-fans to understand why it continues to exist.
It has the best graphics. It has the best multiplayer mode (warzone.) Killzone 2 still has the best actual shooting mechanics and hit-detection. Shadow Fall has the best multiplayer maps of any FPS released since before last gen.

Really the only reason you feel the need to credit Halo, CoD, and BF is because of their popularity.

Betty

Banned
It has the best graphics. It has the best multiplayer mode (warzone.) Killzone 2 still has the best actual shooting mechanics and hit-detection. Shadow Fall has the best multiplayer maps of any FPS released since last gen started.

Aside from the shooting mechanics and hit detection, which I don't agree with at all, everything else you mentioned was personal preference. Someone else could say COD's maps are better, or that Battlefied's conquest mode is the best mode of all time, these are subjective things.

There's still nothing inherently unique or singularly special that Killzone brings to the table that you can point to and champion over it's rivals. Aside maybe from graphics.

BadAss said:
Really the only reason you feel the need to credit Halo, CoD, and BF is because of their popularity.

Well... yeah. They're the most popular FPS's right now and have been for some time, and even if you don't like them, and I don't like some of them myself, at least we can understand why some folks gravitate to a certain one. Killzone however seems entirely dependent on personal preferences rather than anything it outright offers that it's competitors don't, which is fine, but ultimately renders it a very polarizing franchise to the wider gaming public.

Ithil

Let's just enjoy the opening of the second game as one of the best opening in video game history. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5v6A01redk

It's great except for Rico. Who exactly likes these military meathead "YEAH! UHH! BITCH!" characters with their dopey voices and buzzcuts? They're like parodies of side characters who die a scene later in bad blockbuster movies.
Yet they infest every military FPS at the moment. Is this really what people want to think soldiers are like?

Aside from the shooting mechanics and hit detection, which I don't agree with at all, everything else you mentioned was personal preference. Someone else could say COD's maps are better, or that Battlefied's conquest mode is the best mode of all time, these are subjective things.

There's still nothing inherently unique or singularly special that Killzone brings to the table that you can point to and champion over it's rivals. Aside maybe from graphics.

Well... yeah. They're the most popular FPS's right now and have been for some time, and even if you don't like them, and I don't like some of them myself, at least we can understand why some folks gravitate to a certain one. Killzone however seems entirely dependent on personal preferences rather than anything it outright offers that it's competitors don't, which is fine, but ultimately renders it a very polarizing franchise to the wider gaming public.

*shrug*

I don't know about SF (like the OP, I haven't really played it), but I do know that Killzone 2 was unique and different from everything else. First-person cover was cool and different. The feeling of weight when moving was different. The art design was certainly powerful and unlike other games in the genre. The combination of sci-fi with historical European war motifs was different. Even the level design occupied a nice niche between the shooting gallery of CoD and the wide open sandbox of Halo.

So that's the single-player. I don't claim it wasn't polarizing. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea. However, it was definitely not me-too, nor was it something that offered nothing different from the rest.

I do feel KZ3 moved away from KZ2's strengths, even though it also tightened up some mechanics. It lost a lot of its uniqueness and in terms of level design moved far closer to CoD than it could have. Whether I like it or not, that was a blow to the franchise.

In terms of multiplayer, I'll be honest and say that neither KZ2 nor KZ3 really did anything super-unique, but at least it was nicely balanced and with some great maps.

The problem is, even if you don't like COD or Halo or Battlefield, you can at least see what they excel at or offer over their competitors.

Halo is colorful, easy to get into, streamlined almost like an arcade experience, uses vehicles and features a unique sci fi setting.

COD has perks, fast paced gameplay, ultra responsive shooting mechanics, heavy customization, plenty of game modes on offer and an always active community.

Battlefield is more realistic, features a class system, has full scale destruction, land/air/sea vehicles, massive maps and a huge player versus player count.

Killzone has... pretty graphics? Seriously, there's nothing it does or features that the competition doesn't already do or does better. It's not awful by any stretch of the imagination, but it's just so middle of the road that it can be quite hard for non-fans to understand why it continues to exist.

You could just as easily argue Killzone has a unique dystopian aesthetic, distinctive antagonists, methodical satisfying gunplay, cover system absent in other games and unique Warzone featuring gameplay modes which change on the fly. KZ:SF also has completely customisable MP matches. It does a lot of things different or better than the competition. I get why the other games are popular but there are a lot of people for who KZ, KZ2 in particular, just clicked.

Betty

Banned
In terms of multiplayer, I'll be honest and say that neither KZ2 nor KZ3 really did anything super-unique, but at least it was nicely balanced and with some great maps.

I really enjoyed KZ2's multiplayer as well, the overall aesthetic and fairly large maps/player count really stood out at the time.

You could just as easily argue Killzone has a unique dystopian aesthetic, distinctive antagonists, methodical satisfying gunplay, cover system absent in other games and unique Warzone featuring gameplay modes which change on the fly. KZ:SF also has completely customisable MP matches. It does a lot of things different or better than the competition. I get why the other games are popular but there are a lot of people for who KZ just clicked.

I was speaking about multiplayer mostly, but I agree that individually, some can enjoy the series more than others. But for most gamers it's just not offering something compelling to detract them from the big hitters.

coldone

You could just as easily argue Killzone has a unique dystopian aesthetic, distinctive antagonists, methodical satisfying gunplay, cover system absent in other games and unique Warzone featuring gameplay modes which change on the fly. KZ:SF also has completely customisable MP matches. It does a lot of things different or better than the competition. I get why the other games are popular but there are a lot of people for who KZ, KZ2 in particular, just clicked.

Problem is the not the game. If it had been on PC it would have attracted much bigger fan base. It was on PS2 ... obviously not good for shooters. Then came PS3. Even great games like Last of us or uncharted 3 didnt sell more than 5 Million copies. If KZ2 was on 360 it would have sold 3x higher than what it did it on PS3.

KZ on PS4 is far better than BF4. Atleast it is playable. BF4 is not even working !!!

Hex

Banned
Not owning PS4 =/= Can't play games. Tried the launch titles came away highly unimpressed. Went back to Dragn's Crown and TLOU MP. KZ is just a money dump because Sony needs an FPS to compete for some reason.

Yeah but I don't have patience for such mundane experiences. And if my word isn't enough well look around you son, people have played it, reviews are out and the SP is generally regarded as trash and the MP uninspired. The franchise is just a bloody showpiece for Sony and that's all it delivers, pretty visuals.

So you don't own a PS4 and have just "tried" the new Killzone (and I will guess the same with Knack) but you felt the expertise to make two threads on how terrible both are?
Obviously enough people disagree to keep the games selling.

Then came PS3. Even great games like Last of us or uncharted 3 didnt sell more than 5 Million copies. If KZ2 was on 360 it would have sold 3x higher than what it did it on PS3.

That's quite a claim. Consider that CoD sold, give or take a couple million, similar 12+ million numbers on 360 vs. PS3. This is with 360's dominance in the U.S. too.

There's no evidence at all KZ would have sold "3x" higher than on PS3, as there's no evidence anything in particular about the Xbox 360 made games sell THAT much better on it.

360 had Halo. That is an 8-10 million selling franchise... very impressive... but even as much of a fan of KZ2 as I am, KZ is not as strong a series as Halo; not by a long shot. Fewer modes, weaker storytelling, weaker first entries, nowhere near as differentiated gameplay. So to claim that merely existing on 360 would make Killzone approach Halo numbers -- yeah, doubt it.

Endo Punk

So you don't own a PS4 and have just "tried" the new Killzone (and I will guess the same with Knack) but you felt the expertise to make two threads on how terrible both are?

I never said I beat both games to completion and nor was the Knack thread about my experience with the game. It seems like PS4Gaf is trying hard to justify both Knack and KZ existence. Can't wait when Second Son, The Order and Uncharted 4 are out so we can finally look back and see the launch exclusives for what they are, terrible games. Except Resogun which ownz like nothing else. Leave it to a 3rd party to actually get a fantastic game out for launch.

Footos22

I'd like to see Guerilla Cambridge make the next PS4 Killzone.

Knocked it out the park with Mercenary.
Easily the most fun i had with a multiplayer game this gen in the last few years.
Buts thats probably just cos i am actually bloody good at it.
Hopefully shadowfalls multiplayer is as good.

Can't wait when Second Son, The Order and Uncharted 4 are out so we can finally look back and see the launch exclusives for what they are, terrible games.

Doesn't apply to Shadow Fall. While its reviews are disappointing, they certainly don't point to it being a "terrible game." 70 is average MC score... thus it is about average or above average, not "terrible."

Since you don't have sufficient experience with the game to come to that conclusion on your own, and you are misrepresenting critical opinion, you are full of it.

Re. Knack, can't really argue with it.

Rafterman

Banned

It really is pretty laughable. If you read through that Knack thread he's tossing around opinions like he's the authority on the game and he's never even played it. Now when called out on his KZ complaints he's "tried it". I'm calling bullshit.

Doesn't own a PS4, definitely hasn't played Knack and most likely hasn't played KZ, but makes multiple threads tearing both games to shreds? The Op is just trolling.

I really enjoyed KZ2's multiplayer as well, the overall aesthetic and fairly large maps/player count really stood out at the time.

I was speaking about multiplayer mostly, but I agree that individually, some can enjoy the series more than others. But for most gamers it's just not offering something compelling to detract them from the big hitters.

Even with the MP most of what I listed applies, the setting, the gunplay, Warzone. I hated CoD MP, felt like running manically around in a big circle with a plastic gun. BF3 was OK, enjoyed the vehicles but it didn't have the same intimacy as 32 player Killzone, the guns just didn't have the same impact and it lacked an interesting aesthetic. Playing Tactician on KZ2's maps were some of the best times I had that generation. If they had capitalised on that and paired it with a compelling SP it'd be FPS nirvana.

werks

Banned
I never said I beat both games to completion and nor was the Knack thread about my experience with the game. It seems like PS4Gaf is trying hard to justify both Knack and KZ existence. Can't wait when Second Son, The Order and Uncharted 4 are out so we can finally look back and see the launch exclusives for what they are, terrible games. Except Resogun which ownz like nothing else. Leave it to a 3rd party to actually get a fantastic game out for launch.
LOL, BF4 is broken. Both SP & MP almost unplayable due to bugs. And COD looks like a 1080p version of a last gen game. Some fantastic gaming going on in the third party universe.

MilkBeard

Doesn't apply to Shadow Fall. While its reviews are disappointing, they certainly don't point to it being a "terrible game." 70 is average MC score... thus it is about average or above average, not "terrible."

Since you don't have sufficient experience with the game to come to that conclusion on your own, and you are misrepresenting critical opinion, you are full of it.

Re. Knack, can't really argue with it.

/Thread.

And I think we're done here. It all boils down to opinions. OP is never gonna accept any evidence that supports why Sony continues to fund GG to make Killzone games, despite there being plenty.

As I said before, and I've said this numerous times, because a lot of gamers forget: A game doesn't have to be phenomenal to justify its own existence.

cryptic

All these posters who come in to just announce their dislike and leaving with no debate are such binary wastes or piss and shitters as they can't seem to function past basics enough to bother deviating from their single point. It really clutters the thread and kicks my dick.

coldone

Now i can tell you haven't played any thing on PS4.

EA: Madden, FIFA, BF4. Two garbage and one completely broken.
Activision: Sylyanders, COD. Both are previous gen games
Ubisoft: AC. Same it is a just a PS3 game up ported

How do you show case 1.8 Tflop GPU. Shadow fall SP campaign was the one that pushed the hardware to the max and show cased the tech. Else we will have 1000 other threads complaining that we can just stick with PS3 and PS4 is not powerful enough.

Top Bottom