• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild' Was Almost Instantly Emulated for PC

You can play Super Mario Sunshine at 60 FPS via Dolphin. It's a bit of a hack job but it works real well. Hugely dependant on the games themselves, but it is a possibility.

Think there's a 120fps hack as well. Might try that as got a high refresh monitor.

mclem

I mean a locked 30 at 1080p would already make it the superior version, not to mention stuff like aliasing etc.

Ive been playing the game non stop but the few second freezes that can occur are horrible.

I've had framerate drops, but not full-on freezes. In what sort of circumstances?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Think there's a 120fps hack as well. Might try that as got a high refresh monitor.

Oh they went as far as 120 FPS? No wonder the 60 FPS hack seems so stable then, I was expecting a ton of animation glitches but nah, it's very smooth.

As someone who bought a Switch for Zelda alone, I can't wait until I can play the game at 4k with locked 30fps and proper texture filtering. The game deserves to look and play better than it does.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Dolphin can too although the number of disk drives that can read Wii/Gamecube disks is relatively small compared to the ones that can read PS2 disks.

This is not true. GameCube and Wii discs need to be ripped to be used in Dolphin.

mugwhump

Oh man, I hope they get it running well by the time the hard mode DLC comes out. I'd love my second playthrough to be at higher resolution with a stable framerate.

"I think a lot of [the speed] can be attributed to Xenoblade Chronicles X, which is a similar open-world game that already presented us the same technical challenges early on," Exzap wrote me in a Reddit message.

Wait is Xenoblade Chronicles X actually fully playable with good audio and no major glitches? I've been keeping an HD port to the Switch in prayers every night.
I don't really pray

NewGame

Banned
How many emulators in history have allowed for higher than native frame rates? I don't get why people were expecting 60fps.

Lots of people just hear '60fps' as some sort of buzz word that implies the game is 30 frames better than 30fps. If that was the case every game would be garbage other than 240fps monolithic computer titles.

That said, some of the improvements I've seen emulating Nintendo games are outstanding, anyone have a link to those 4k windwaker screenshots?

MUnited83

For you.
They aren't illegal but considering people use them for piracy, and they have versions of Zelda and Mario Kart and maybe other Wii U ports that are now going to directly compete with better looking and free software I don't think the case would be as open and shut as you think. Also they're making money off of it, that's never a good idea.
It is open and shut as it can get, unless you think magically movie companies can go against Vlc because it can play pirated movies.

Making money off it is completely irrelevant. DraStic, a DS emulator, has been sold for several years on the Google Play Store without any issues.

MUnited83

For you.
Like taking down Dolphin or SNES9x would be ridiculous because those on old consoles that are done for free but with CEMU, you have it running software that is directly competing with games that are still or directly released on the market that anybody can get for free because nowhere are they saying "Please Support the Official Release" in a clear and obvious spot and they're making money off of it. No one has gone after emulators since Sony (which that alone destroyed Bleem and the like) because most emulators are either based off of old hardware or don't run games very well. Normally I agree with that your sentiment and I use emulators all the time but I don't think Nintendo's going to take this lying down especially with their recent track record of taking down fan games and the like.

Except Bleem explicitly states that you use PS1 discs.
? The GBA had a emulator up before it was even released.

Dolphin was running Wii games decently back in 2009. When the Wii was still alive with many exclusives released and still selling and with other ones still down on the pipeline for later.
CEMU is emulating old hardware a lot more than Dolphin was emulating "old" hardware back in the day.
Can someone explain how emulated games are legal? I understand it's not the same code, but it's still the same game. I can understand if it's meant for game preservation, but not for games still being sold on the market. How are games not protected by copyright laws?
The games do not come included with the emulator. There are no copyright laws being broken here. It's like saying Vlc is violating copyright laws because some people can use pirated movies on it.

theultimo

? The GBA had a emulator up before it was even released.

Dolphin was running Wii games decently back in 2009. When the Wii was still alive with many exclusives released and still selling and with other ones still down on the pipeline for later.
CEMU is emulating old hardware a lot more than Dolphin was emulating "old" hardware back in the day.
Hell ultra HLE is the best case. It was out while the actual games were out on N64.

Shoot, it did zelda too. Actually the same piracy angle was used back then too.

btrboyev

Is every emulation thread here full of people screaming about piracy?

Well a lot of people who say they will wait to play it on PC will most likely in fact pirate it. Many don't own a Wii U which is required to rip it. I really doubt someone is going to buy a copy to justify downloading it and say they aren't technically pirating.

Well a lot of people who say they will wait to play it on PC will most likely in fact pirate it. Many don't own a Wii U which is required to rip it. I really doubt someone is going to buy a copy to justify downloading it and say they aren't technically pirating.

I wanna see the receipts.

Shantom

Lots of people just hear '60fps' as some sort of buzz word that implies the game is 30 frames better than 30fps. If that was the case every game would be garbage other than 240fps monolithic computer titles.

60FPS is 30 frames better than 30FPS.

I've had framerate drops, but not full-on freezes. In what sort of circumstances?

Sometimes when I knock over a Moblin the game will freeze for a second.

GLAMr

Oh cool, another emulation thread being ruined by yokels grabbing their pitchforks and screaming about piracy.

Star_Trek_-_In_Before_the_Lock.gif

I for one will probably buy this game when CEMU gets good enough. I may even post receipts if it will make people happy.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't think they'd have a legal leg to stand on, unless they are distributing WiiU software with CEMU, which they aren't AFAIK.
Cemu is going to be a uniquely interesting one, however, because it is closed-source and they are taking money. Bleem was successfully able to tackle Sony in court but that's not necessarily guaranteed to happen again if that comes up.

Orayn

Cemu is going to be a uniquely interesting one, however, because it is closed-source and they are taking money

The Bleem! case set the precedent that even commercial emulators for "living" systems are legal. That said, some people suspect Cemu uses Nintendo code and point to it being closed source to support that line of thinking.

Lister

Banned
The Bleem! case set the precedent that even commercial emulators for "living" supported systems are legal. That said, some people suspect Cemu uses Nintendo code and point to it being closed source as proof.

Who ever says that is an idiot. Not the least reason of why being that they appear to not know what the definition of proof is.

dsk1210

Are you telling me the majority those people in fact own a Wii U to rip a copy? Or are going to buy a copy without a Wii U?

Receipts indeed.

Why don't you fuck off with the piracy chat, its not allowed and is supposed to be bannable on this forum.

I am sick an tired of trying to read about emulation and it turn into a chat about piracy. Create your own thread regarding it if it something you want to discuss.

Orayn

Who ever says that is an idiot. Not the least reason of which being that they appear to not know what the definition of proof is.

It wouldn't really be unprecedented, a lot of emulator development has grown because of SDK leaks. It was Cemu's extremely fast development in addition to being closed source and Windows-only that lead some people to believe a non-trivial portion of it was taken straight from Wii U dev software.

There's no way to tell for sure and I don't really have a stance on it, I'm just describing reasoning I've seen from other people.

btrboyev

Why dont tou fuck off with the piracy chat, its not allowed and is supposed to be bannable on this forum.

I am sick an tired of trying to read about emulation and it turn into a chat about piracy. Create your own thread regarding it if it something you want to discuss.

Why don't you try not be an ass? It's a legitimate argument in the case of the Wii U at this time.

I don't consider emulation in itself related to be piracy, but when someone says they can't wait to play this on their PC and admit to not owning a Wii U or have little to no interest in Nintendo hardware, then it's a little suspect.

I've been part of this community since 1999. Don't tell me how things work around here.

There should and can be discussion for and against without people being dicks about it.

btrboyev

One of the earlier saturn emulators was a ripped and cracked version of a version of giri giri that sega had purchased for their own commercial releases, in fact.

That's not really the same thing. Sega had no hand in the emulator from the beginning. They just bought it after it became a viable way to emulate games.

dsk1210

Why don't you try not be an ass? It's a legitimate argument in the case of the Wii U at this time.

I don't consider emulation in itself related to be piracy, but when someone says they can't wait to play this on their PC and admit to not owning a Wii U or have little to no interest in Nintendo hardware, then it's a little suspect.

I've been part of this community since 1999. Don't tell me how things work around here.

There should and can be discussion for and against without people being dicks about it.

Every thread recently has been derailed by piracy chat, its getting pretty tiresome.

Most of us on GAF are not going to pirate, of course there will be some but discussing it is not going to make the slightest diffrence and it is just annoying for the guys thay are doing this legitametly.

To be honest its not even you I am annoyed at so I apologise for being rude.

Orayn

Mods have frequently stepped into emulation threads in the past to tell people to knock it off when they drive the discussion off-topic. It really is just a thread derailment.

btrboyev

Mods have frequently stepped into emulation threads in the past to tell people to knock it off when they drive the discussion off-topic. It really is just a thread derailment.

Then I would argue this thread doesn't need to exist because this is all already being covered in the official CEMU thread.

I will state in that thread alone there is at least a dozen or more people who have stated they don't own Nintendo hardware and plan to play it on PC. So it's times like that when the argument should and could be made to call out people.

That is the last I'll post in here about it.

They aren't illegal but considering people use them for piracy, and they have versions of Zelda and Mario Kart and maybe other Wii U ports that are now going to directly compete with better looking and free software I don't think the case would be as open and shut as you think. Also they're making money off of it, that's never a good idea.

The courts have already ruled on this issue. Emulators aren't illegal, and selling emulators isn't illegal. Nintendo can't do a thing about it.

bomblord1

Banned
An emulator being able to launch a game is surprising to people now?

Dolphin was booting Wii games in a 100% playable state the day they were released in many cases.

yup, and i was just arguing yesterday with a gaffer calling this "the definitive edition"
it was adorable

In the relatively near future Cemu will unequivocally be the best way to play BotW. It's a question of when, not if. You can be salty about it or you can just accept it.

The courts have already ruled on this issue. Emulators aren't illegal, and selling emulators isn't illegal. Nintendo can't do a thing about it.

All I'm saying is don't be surprised if Nintendo tries and they're going to try for a reason you just stated.

In the relatively near future Cemu will unequivocally be the best way to play BotW. It's a question of when, not if. You can be salty about it or you can just accept it.

Don't think Nintendo's not going to fight a piece of free software that can potentially play their game better than the $300 gaming console they're trying to sell. It's the reason they've been taking down fan games as well.

Leb

When was Horizon Zero Dawn emulated, out of curiosity? Where were the threads / news about that? I wonder why?

What matters is that we're lowering the costs of gaming and giving people access to affordable gaming platforms. The government will always win the war on government-run platforms; if we mandate everybody buys what we say they have to buy, then the government will always estimate that they’ll buy it.

I just think that’s bogus, that entire premise of that comparison doesn't work. The fact is, we're not going to have the government tell you what you must do, tell you what you must buy.

When was Horizon Zero Dawn emulated, out of curiosity? Where were the threads / news about that? I wonder why?

So you're saying if Nintendo really cared about piracy, they'd make a console that couldn't be easily emulated by somewhat modern PCs? It's not a hard point to argue. The fact that Nintendo has had two consoles in a row with games that could be emulated within reason on release day for popular games does seem to suggest that they're not exactly using cutting edge technology in their systems.

So you're saying if Nintendo really cared about piracy, they'd make a console that couldn't be easily emulated by somewhat modern PCs? It's not a hard point to argue. The fact that Nintendo has had two consoles in a row with games that could be emulated within reason on release day for popular games does seem to suggest that they're not exactly using cutting edge technology in their systems.

It's a technology thing. PS3 also has an emulator and got Persona 5 running (not well mind you but still).

Top Bottom