• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to play off a 1.4 gpa in an interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks, my GPA will forever be in the shitter due to bad study habits at the start of university. Been slowly trying to bring it up, but there is no salvaging that first year.

Edit: Wow this threads old. What happened Coolio?

It sucks, my GPA will forever be in the shitter due to bad study habits at the start of university. Been slowly trying to bring it up, but there is no salvaging that first year.

Retake the courses you did poorly in during summer periods or winter minimesters.

Jenov

wait where do you live? In north America you need to do undergrad before you can apply to med school.
actually, there are a few med schools in the US that don't require bachelors. Just a min amount of coursework for prereqs... of course your chances would be very low without a degree.

Lamel

Banned
Oh USA universities. Like Harvard. Hard to get in, but good grades are handed to you on a silver platter. The exact opposite of U of T. Too many people are let in and then they are systematically elimated until the best remain.

It really depends on the school. Harvard is known for inflation, but then again you are competing with the best in the world, so entering the top 50% may actually be hard.

On the other end, Cornell and Princeton deflate their grades pretty hard. So yeah, it really depends.

Azulsky

Even if your University averages retake grades I would retake any D/F classes. That 0/4 * 3/4/5 hours is a huge huge hole to fill in and it might be worth the few hundred to retake it over a summer semester.

On the other hand if you got a C in something I would not retake unless you are absolutely sure you can retake and get an A.

trixx

I'm in UofT right now i swear they put you on academic probation if GPA isnt higher than 1.7. I'm at like a 2.2 in second year. It sucks man

Grats on landing job though

lt519

Good god...

My company tosses resumes of new grads under a 3.6. We hire less than 1% of applicants and go mostly off referrals. Get some good letters of recommendation if you can.

Tablo

i wouldn't say i was lazy with school but horribly unmotivated. school was sucking every ounce of interest i had with comp sci out of me, but work, angelhack, and some side projects kicked my ass right back into love with it. i appreciate the school work more now too, since i can see the application of a lot of it more clearly.

That's good :))) Happy for you man, I'm always proud of software guys, coding is not for everyone XD

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If you transfer to a 4 year, are they going to ask for transcripts for your community college too, or are the community college grades automatically added to the gpa of your transfer school?

Newline

Thats not necessarily true. I catastrophically failed my first year of a comp sci course with a 36% grade (40% needed to pass).

Used that as a wake up call and actually pulled up my belt in the second and third years (was really rough during the start of the second year), got a 70% and 76% respectively and came out of uni with a first class honours (highest in the UK).

Never give up!

Nakho

I hear you man. I'm one of the best students in my home university and went to UofT for a year (Electrical and Computer Engineering). Gotta say, that shit was pretty tough and time-consuming. After everything, got like a 2.5 GPA. Damn, it sucks the life out of you, really. Mad props to the fellow UofT students flaunting 3.5is GPAs, you guys are awesome.

Don't know if mentioned before, but there are some who would argue it is even harder than, say, Harvard:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-...-versus-u-of-t/article4133871/?service=mobile

Wow and I never thought much of my GPA but that's kind of low, OP

I have no idea what to do if that comes up but there must be a way to turn it around I would think

FroJay

Banned
Finished my undergrad with a 3.76, but honestly it didn't do me a bit of good in the few interviews I had. Going to grad school now in a completely different direction that compliments the skillset I've been using the last 15 years. Experience trumps school unless required when it comes to getting a job.

It's funny seeing how you posted a similar comment on the first page almost 2 years ago. Was it intentional, or did you forget you even posted it? XD

Ha! I knew I had said it a few times before, I just didn't know it was on this thread, another thread, or even Reddit. I even read this thread thinking it was new and didn't catch it.

Point being, GPA isn't important. The OP's update proves it!

tumblr_m1vuc3bLiK1rn95k2o1_500.jpg

just get experience dude, start from the bottom, be someones bitch

in 10 years your bad score wont matter shit

Hypron

I live in NZ so things work differently here... Are your marks not weighted based on the year you got them in? If not that really sucks. What you did in first year is hardly representative of what you're worth when you graduate.

For example, for my degree the grades I got in first year don't even count towards my final GPA (and honours level), 2nd year grades are worth 10%, 3rd year grades 30% and the final year ones are worth 60%... It's way better that way I reckon.

ItIsOkBro

I live in NZ so things work differently here... Are your marks not weighted based on the year you got them in? If not that really sucks. What you did in first year is hardly representative of what you're worth when you graduate.

For example, for my degree the grades I got in first year don't even count towards my final GPA (and honours level), 2nd year grades are worth 10%, 3rd year grades 30% and the final year ones are worth 60%... It's way better that way I reckon.

Couln't one just get all the hard courses out of the way in the first 3 years and then take a bunch of birds in the final year?

If you transfer to a 4 year, are they going to ask for transcripts for your community college too, or are the community college grades automatically added to the gpa of your transfer school?

I won't say this applies to anywhere but where I was in school, because I don't know otherwise, but I transferred from UNC-Charlotte to UNC-Greensboro after 3 semesters and my coursework transferred, grades did not. My GPA at UNCG was reset. I was initially displeased when I found this out, because my Charlotte GPA was pretty good, but it worked out for the best because my Greensboro GPA was better.

Other schools may operate differently, it's really best just ask the admissions office, as it's likely a question they get all the time for transfers.

Couln't one just get all the hard courses out of the way in the first 3 years and then take a bunch of birds in the final year?

No. For most of the world course structures are fixed. NZ in particular follows the Scottish 3+1 tradition. You don't pick and choose your courses as and when you like. You select your subject and design a course around that, studying it full time for 3-4 years.

It's one of the reasons foreign STEM grads are in such comparitively high demand in the US. Your typical american graduate has spent the equivalent of one full time year on their major, versus their foreign competition's 3-4 years.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Is this school really hard or is the grading really that hilariously lenient?

U of T is one of the most unnecessarily challenging Universities in Canada. I opted to go somewhere much easier (York U) when many of my friends enrolled at U of T. I ended up pulling A's out of my ass while skipping most lectures, and my friends had a hard time maintaining C's while busting their asses studying. I guess because it's an incredibly reputable institution, professors feel the need to make their classes arbitrarily challenging. Which is pretty hilarious, because no employer really gives a shit where you got your BA/BSC from if your GPA is under 2.5.

Hypron

Well when I'm saying the 4th year is worth 60% I'm really saying that Part 4 papers are counting for 60%. And they all have pre-requisites from Part 3 papers, so you can't do them before your final year anyway (well, you can get concessions if you're really keen - I did a part 4 paper during my third year as a fifth paper).

Oh USA universities. Like Harvard. Hard to get in, but good grades are handed to you on a silver platter. The exact opposite of U of T. Too many people are let in and then they are systematically elimated until the best remain.

Uh... grade inflation doesn't exist at every top tier university... Cal lower div STEM courses pretty much weed the fuck out of kids.

Newline

Really strange seeing a necro'd thread that you posted in three years ago. The guy I messaged must have completed uni now. Hope he did well.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Oh man, blast from the past. This thread's funny in retrospect. It's amazing how much grades didn't/don't matter in my field.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I thought this was going to be an update from Coolio where he was rich, living large, doing coke, and fucking hot chicks.

hampig

I was in this situation (Not a 1.4, but below what would be desireable). Ended up not getting any jobs that requested my transcript, so good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom