• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to play off a 1.4 gpa in an interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftstar

Well shit. I'm in an honours program at york as well. I got a lot to look forward to. And what's up with york's GPA system going beyond 4? real confusing.

Yeah it's weird. But it'll make sense once you pay attention to it. Hopefully you're in a field where there are a lot of jobs waiting for you post-grad. Best of luck dude.

Lamel

Banned
Can't believe this thread is almost 2 years old...time flies.

What are you up to these days COOLIO?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What do you do at your current job, if you don't mind me asking? Did they ask for your GPA during the interview?

it was only for a pey (12-16 month) term, i was a general web software developer. mostly front end stuff. they saw my grades, they all do, but it never came up.

Hylian7

I'm in a similar spot for applying for jobs in general, but my GPA was 2.85. Some people have asked me why it was that low and I gave an answer, although it didn't seem to have too much affect on the interview.

I cant give you advice that I know will work, but I can tell you what I would do. I wouldnt bring it up, but if asked about it, I would be honest about. I would tell them how I felt about that mark on my transcripts, and how that negative has made me want to work harder.

Edit: Well, it looks like Im to late to offer an opinion lol. All well, I still stand by what I said

Ghazi

I feel like shit at a 3.4 (high school, not college), like my entire possible future has been ruined. I was considering going into medical at some point, guess not anymore.

That thread age
wtzgU.gif

kurbaan

Banned
To all the uoft pey people. GPA doesn't really matter especially if you in software. As long as you know what's up.

main thing is to apply as much as you can. And impress those recruiters in the career fairs, even if it doesn't look like it most of them are hiring and taking resumes. You just have to convince them.

alatif113

as far as the getting an interview with a 1.4 gpa, not to bring you down, but most big places call in everyone that applied for an interview as to not miss that "one special person".

I feel like shit at a 3.4 (high school, not college), like my entire possible future has been ruined. I was considering going into medical at some point, guess not anymore.

Oh don't worry, that seed was planted loooooong before you even stepped foot into high school.

kurbaan

Banned

That thread age
wtzgU.gif

lol what? What kind of med school looks at high school marks? As long as you gave a really good GPA in uni you have a chance. Depending on your application, interview and mcats.

as far as the getting an interview with a 1.4 gpa, not to bring you down, but most big places call in everyone that applied for an interview as to not miss that "one special person".

lol this made me chuckle.

ItIsOkBro

Well shit. I'm in an honours program at york as well. I got a lot to look forward to. And what's up with york's GPA system going beyond 4? real confusing.

York's GPA scale is the weirdest one I've ever seen, goes up to 9, no minuses, there's an E letter...who thought this up.

Ghazi

lol what? What kind of med school looks at high school marks? As long as you gave a really good GPA in uni you have a chance. Depending on your application, interview and mcats.

idk, but I'm also hoping to get into a good college. I'm just worried about it. I haven't taken those exams yet, although I've gone through various prep books, that I'm sure won't help me much anyway.

Tablo

Dude o_O
Are you good at programming and software development though? And just lazy with school?
Wow old thread.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dude o_O
Are you good at programming and software development though? And just lazy with school?
Wow old thread.

i wouldn't say i was lazy with school but horribly unmotivated. school was sucking every ounce of interest i had with comp sci out of me, but work, angelhack, and some side projects kicked my ass right back into love with it. i appreciate the school work more now too, since i can see the application of a lot of it more clearly.

Jenga

Banned
i wouldn't say i was lazy with school but horribly unmotivated. school was sucking every ounce of interest i had with comp sci out of me, but work, angelhack, and some side projects kicked my ass right back into love with it. i appreciate the school work more now too, since i can see the application of a lot of it more clearly.

you know, i really like your face

could i rub your cheeks irl while you stare at me

SummitAve

Banned
Yea I had a shit gpa too but nobody seemed to care or even ask. Just have a personality and be somebody others like to work with. You're at a disadvantage imo if you're the type of person who gets bent out of shape over some meaningless gpa. Enjoy your time at college, and learn from experiences inside and out of the classroom.

kurbaan

Banned
idk, but I'm also hoping to get into a good college. I'm just worried about it. I haven't taken those exams yet, although I've gone through various prep books, that I'm sure won't help me much anyway.

wait where do you live? In north America you need to do undergrad before you can apply to med school.

ItIsOkBro

Shit if the USA had that grading scale, i'd have a 4.0

Oh USA universities. Like Harvard. Hard to get in, but good grades are handed to you on a silver platter. The exact opposite of U of T. Too many people are let in and then they are systematically elimated until the best remain.

Ghazi

wait where do you live? In north America you need to do undergrad before you can apply to med school.

NA, I wasn't strictly talking about Medical School, I understand the pre-requisites. But, I need to get into a good college, it'll look better on me. I plan on doing well on the exams, MCAT and etc, with a lot of studying. We'll see, but the better I can do the better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom