• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to play off a 1.4 gpa in an interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other note; you should never fail a university course. I say that as someone who did (my first two years were rough). All universities have course drop deadlines around half-way through the course. If you're going to fail, and you should know by then if you're going to fail, DROP THE COURSE.

I only failed 2 courses and both of them had an assignment worth 70% of the mark due way after this point (i ended up not even completing them for various reasons).

The next year i went back and got distinctions in both courses so that kind of made up for it.

Patryn

i actually made a jsp site (or at least a site that used servlets heavily (same thing?)) with jdbc in it for school, i think ill polish it up and showcase it in both interviews.

how did you show off your web app? did you actually take a laptop out? or did they have one on hand?

They'll probably ask you how you did it, why you chose to do stuff the way you did, what difficulties you encountered while coding up the project, etc, etc.

I've found that they're just as interested in the process of the development as they are in the end product.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
"Cocaine is a helluva drug."

Generally,

A = 4.0
A- = 3.67
B+ = 3.33
B = 3.0
B- = 2.67
C+ = 2.33
C = 2.0
C- = 1.67
D+ = 1.33
D = 1
D- = 0.67
F = 0

For each class, multiply grade x number of credits (most "normal" classes are 3 credits, some discussion sections/labs are 1 credit, some major classes are 4 credits). Add all sums together. Then divide by total number of credits taken to get total overall weighted GPA.

For example, if I took 5 classes,

Class 1 - A, 3 credits
Class 2 - A-, 3 credits
Class 3 - C, 3 credits
Class 4 - B+, 4 credits
Class 5 - D, 1 credit

My grade would be

((4 x 3) + (3.67 x 3) + (2.0 x 3) + (3.33 x 4) + (1.0 x 1)) / (3 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 1)

= 3.309, or a B+ average
Thanks, I was wondering if there was a points system. This explains it

kswiston

A lot of misinformation about Canadian (Ontario) universities in the thread.

First off, we don't have standard GPAs. For example, the University of Windsor grades on a 13 point scale. The University of Western Ontario doesn't even use a scale, and instead just gives you percentage grades. If you are applying to grad school or professional school at a University that you didn't do your undergrad in, you always have to do a pain in the ass conversion that often doesn't work in your favor.

Secondly, Canadian universities (and high schools) use more of the grade scale than the US does. A 50 is a pass here. Not a 60 or a 70. As a result, it is harder to get high percentage marks. Our letter grades reflect that, so Canadian letters reflect lower percentages than their American counterparts.

An 80 average in university is respectable in Canada. You won't get into med school, but you will be able to get into most graduate and professional programs, especially if you have a well-rounded CV. An 80 Average in your B.Sc. is also what you need for granting agencies to consider your proposals for provincial and federal scholarships in grad school. I had an 83 or an 84 average and undergrad, yet I won several provincial and national graduate scholarships, including a postgraduate doctoral scholarship from NSERC (Sort of the Canadian equivalent of the NSF in the US).

You can't get into good Canadian/Ontario Universities with a 70 average in high school. Most of the better schools require low to mid 80s outside of the performing arts. If you want to get into some of the more competitive programs at U of T or Waterloo, you will need to have closer to a 90 average. Again, 80% is first standing in high school.

Finally, the University of Toronto is one of the best schools in the world. It was in the top 20 on the most recent Times Higher Education World University rankings. Above Cornell, which is Ivy League. If a 1.5 GPA at UoT is good enough to graduate, it isn't because they have low academic standards. They just work on a different scale.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
the interviews were all right. the 2nd one moreso. i hope i hear back but im betting the grades would definitely be an issue :*

When it comes to government jobs, USAjobs advertises as having a leg up if you were in college honors or were in the top 1/3 of your class, but in reality, from what I've talked to people in the government, your GPA doesn't mean shit.

Still, having a 1.4 looks bad.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Interesting read, would like to know the outcome.

Did you even go? If so did they ask you Java questions? etc etc

from the first interview:

class test{
test1 = new test();
test2 = new test();

if (test1 == test2){
blah
}
if (test1 instanceof(object)){
blah2
}

i said the first 'if' wouldnt execute because i dont even think you can compare objects in java and if you could theyd probably be addresses or something

for the second, i said it wouldnt execute either (which was wrong) because i thought it was suppose to read instanceof(test), but every object in java extends the object class so bleh. the other question was a simple concatenation question that i got right going by what i looked up later. unless there was a really subtle trick.

oh yeah i also didnt understand how an instance of test was being decared within the class test, i thought you need a constructor for that and you wouldnt be able to do it within the class itself, but then they said 'assuming it compiles' so i musta got that wrong :x

the 2nd interview was just fun

simple questions about locks on threads, encryption, general stuff

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
But I bet you're a hell of a lot better programmer than I am so you more than likely will get the job. I need to go back through Java again, it just didn't click with me during my 2 accelerated courses.

accelerated :x.

ballsy.

and youre probably better at java programming for sure, we dont get language programming courses per se, we're kinda suppose to do that on our own time.

Should have just solved a Rubix Cube, brah

fresh-prince-of-bel-air.jpg

class test{
test1 = new test();
test2 = new test();

if (test1 == test2){
blah
}
blah2
}

i said the first 'if' wouldnt execute because i dont even think you can compare objects in java and if you could theyd probably be addresses or something

for the second, i said it wouldnt execute either (which was wrong) because i thought it was suppose to read instanceof(test), but every object in java extends the object class so bleh. the other question was a simple concatenation question that i got right going by what i looked up later. unless there was a really subtle trick.

oh yeah i also didnt understand how an instance of test was being decared within the class test, i thought you need a constructor for that and you wouldnt be able to do it within the class itself, but then they said 'assuming it compiles' so i musta got that wrong :x

No to bad i guess, The first 1 is correct, it would have to be .equals() to be true. And even though you got the second 1 wrong it appears u realised what it was asking for so yea, G/L

class test{
test1 = new test();
test2 = new test();

if (test1 == test2){
blah
}
blah2
}

Well, your first answer was right too. You would need to make an equals or compareTo method by implementing the Comparable class for it to run.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the Registrar can't just send out your transcripts (to anybody) without your consent.

On an unrelated note, the school I went to used a 4.3 scale (A= 4.0, A+ = 4.3). Out of pure curiosity, do any schools in the U.S. use a 4.3 scale?

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the Registrar can't just send out your transcripts (to anybody) without your consent.

On an unrelated note, the school I went to used a 4.3 scale (A= 4.0, A+ = 4.3). Out of pure curiosity, do any schools in the U.S. use a 4.3 scale?

Yep. They only send out transcript if you apply within the school's hiring program where they'll ask you to attach your official/unofficial transcript, or if the company specifically asks for it. I you don't provide it, you don't speaketh.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I felt bad about my 3.3, you have helped me see that things could be much much worse.

Thanks!

nitewulf

did you just party all the time? i had a friend who failed everything because he just didn't do anything at all and partied.

You are totally fucked bro. I wouldn't graduate with a GPA like that at all. It won't be pretty. Just stay in school and boost it up.

jvalioli

Since you were interviewing specifically for Java I can't imagine getting one of the language specific questions wrong being good. Who knows though, good luck. Also, start studying.

Subprime

the amount of "subtle" bragging oh "oh shit dude I felt bad about getting a 3.X, thanks for making me feel better" is sort of gross.

forrest

formerly nacire
Go full retard. They will be impressed with your 1.4!

In all seriousness, just be yourself and exude confidence. It may not even be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom