• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 |OT| Don't watch the trailers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

I understand liking animated films...but Over the Hedge is a bit much. That film was dumb even for 5-year-olds.
I actively raged that it did not win the Achademy Award.

The Social Network? Seriously?

No one walked away from that film saying "wow the music was great". While I heard that constantly in relation to HTTYD.
Uh...that's counterfactual. That score was roundly praised immediately after the film. Reznor/Ross was such a perfect mix for that film's mood.

It won Critics awards in about 12 different cities and the Golden Globes. To call the Academy's awarding it an aberration is straight-up counterfactual.

I never said it was an critical aberration.

I stated that I don't think the average person would notice the score. Which should be prerequisite to win in my mind.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Eugh, now all I want to do is watch the trailers
I think I've seen two of them already and thinking that it was being very liberal with the plot.

Eugh, now all I want to do is watch the trailers
I think I've seen two of them already and thinking that it was being very liberal with the plot.

I agree. This trend of giving out most of the plot in the trailer is just obnoxious.

Specifically... I wish they would have kept the Bewilderbeast under wraps.

Talon

Yeah, I really hated that I watched the first trailer. It's like Dreamworks can't expect to sell a kids movie without showing off a summary.

I stated that I don't think the average person would notice the score. Which should be prerequisite to win in my mind.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I still listen to the soundtrack to this day, and I know others that do as well. And I say this as someone that can't stand Nine Inch Nails. It's excellent work background music (somewhere, a part of Reznor just died).

Although that isn't to take away from Powell's score on the first film. Phenomenal score that I love just as well. Fact of the matter is that there are usually four or five deserving scores every single year. Marainelli, Powell, James Newton Howard don't ever phone it in.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I agree. This trend of giving out most of the plot in the trailer is just obnoxious.

Specifically... I wish they would have kept the Bewilderbeast under wraps.

I dont think they should have showed the mum at all.
Show the strange guy, even show hiccup's dad in shock then maybe bits of the end battle but his mum being a reveal would have been a nice surprise

I dont think they should have showed the mum at all.
Show the strange guy, even show hiccup's dad in shock then maybe bits of the end battle but his mum being a reveal would have been a nice surprise

I think they should have their kept either the villain or his mom secret. I wasn't actually bothered by her reveal until they revealed him as well.

Matt_

I think they should have their kept either the villain or his mom secret. I wasn't actually bothered by her reveal until they reveal him as well.

Yeah it's all a bit too much, hopefully there is a lot of surprises left for the film though

Having watched the first five mins and now just starting a rewatch of #1
I like how both films open the same, it's a nice little touch

mjc

John Powell is back for the soundtrack.

M-bison-yes-o.gif

Aw daaamn, forgot it was releasing this soon. I still remember the feels from seeing the first one in theaters. I was supposed to take my younger brothers and wasn't expecting much.

Was completely blown away.

Yeah it's all a bit too much, hopefully there is a lot of surprises left for the film though

Having watched the first five mins and now just starting a rewatch of #1
I like how both films open the same, it's a nice little touch

I am holding out hope that the film has such dramatic twists as to make what they spoiled pale in comparison.

I am probably being irrational though.

CassSept

Madagascar 2 and Over Th Hedge were pretty good films imo.

I thought Madagascar 2 was pretty stupid and samey and I remember some people talking about Over the Hedge as the epitome of Dreamworks faces, but I'll admit I never saw it. One way or another HTTYD really bucked the trend on people's opinion on Dreamworks films online, I felt in general population they were far more popular than Internet would lead you to believe.

Tbh everyone I knew many people who were raving about the score before it went on to win those many awards. Including people who didn't like the film that much.

Wut, I thought this was a holiday release, never thought it was right around the corner.

edit: infinite props to the OP for having the people behind the film in the center stage.

Matt_

Ch.... I just rewatched this and my housemate was just like why are you watching children's films?
People are so fucking rude.

Yup. Did you like KFP 1 and 2? I was astounded by how good those movies were. 2 looked beautiful. The animation was amazing.

Btw cute avatar. I floved Rise of the Guardians.

I love the KFP films. I preferred the first, though I can definitely appreciate the second as well.

Glad you like ROTG!

Ch.... I just rewatched this and my housemate was just like why are you watching children's films?
People are so fucking rude.
You should ask him why he is surprised that a One Direction fan would be watching children's films.
8f70c6ea.gif

Your housemate is a jerk though.

Matt_

You should ask him why he is surprised that a One Direction fan would be watching children's films.
8f70c6ea.gif

Your housemate is a jerk though.

Ch... like you are one to talk
But yeah, he views anything animated/disney outside of a select few films as childish. Infuriates me

I wish I saw the thread title before I watched the trailers T_T. The first teaser was enough to get me excited without spoiling anything... why didn't I stop there?

tirminyl

I have never seen that teaser trailer before but unfortunately, I have seen the other trailers before and my goodness, they tell you the entire movie, twists and all. I still wanna see it. I loved the first one. Also John Powell.

Just came back from an advance screening. Absolutely phenomenal. Better than the first, in my opinion. You guys won't be disappointed.

Also, for those of you concerned about being spoiled due to the trailers, there's still something for you. Blew me away.

Just came back from an advance screening. Absolutely phenomenal. Better than the first, in my opinion. You guys won't be disappointed.

Also, for those of you concerned about being spoiled due to the trailers, there's still something for you. Blew me away.

I just saw it too and I am so wanting to talk..

DAMN IT.... I want to talk about all of the stuff and the things... and the other thing.

Also, Deblois said he liked The Empire Strikes back and that this series was written as a trilogy. I mean, How To Train Your Dragon 3 is already planned for 2016 with the Dragon Masters TV series in the middle for 2015.

So, I
spent the second half of the film... waiting for something horrible to happen and the film to end on a cliffhanger. There were some really Star Wars moments in the film. Especially with Hiccup's Father and Mother. DeviantArt is going to love those two. They are such a great couple. I'm not going to spoil any of the bigger twists here. But DAMN I WANNA TALK ABOUT IT.

Also, can we talk about the
new stuff with Toothless
? I only saw the two trailers and the teaser trailer before seeing the film.. so.. I'm not sure about what we can talk about.

So, I
spent the second half of the film... waiting for something horrible to happen and the film to end on a cliffhanger. There were some really Star Wars moments in the film. Especially with Hiccup's Father and Mother. DeviantArt is going to love those two. They are such a great couple. I'm not going to spoil any of the bigger twists here. But DAMN I WANNA TALK ABOUT IT.
Well,
at some point during the film I was vaguely concerned that the film would maintain the easygoing, comedic tone that it had established at the beginning. Not that I hadn't been enjoying myself, but I wanted something more in terms of character growth, development, etc. Then, uh, THAT thing happens. Big thumbs up for having the balls to do that.

Also, can we talk about the
new stuff with Toothless
? I only saw the two trailers and the teaser trailer before seeing the film.. so.. I'm not sure about what we can talk about.
Which stuff? I'd just say no, I guess.

Which stuff? I'd just say no, I guess.

Just PM'd you with a few thoughts on that. Also, I want to see the movie again.. but this time in 2D as the 3D near the beginning was a little rough for me. I'm not used to seeing 3D at 24FPS these days. It's been a while since I've dealt with 3D that required glasses.

But yeah, I want to see it again and I would totally pay the ticket price to see it again.

You know what I just realized? This film doesn't come out for like 3 weeks. Why we got an OT already?

Edit: NM. I see the OP answered above.

Very glad to hear this!

Happy to see this! Yay!

Leeness

Lol just FYI, Hollywood Reporter's review spoils probably the big finale/close to it. Apparently they took out the names but it's still REALLY easy to guess what they're talking about. Like so easy, they may as well have kept the names.

So...just FYI.

Lol just FYI, Hollywood Reporter's review spoils probably the big finale/close to it. Apparently they took out the names but it's still REALLY easy to guess what they're talking about. Like so easy, they may as well have kept the names.

So...just FYI.
That is so annoying.

Saw it this morning. Amazing movie that manages to be better than the first (imo). There's so many moments that gave me chills just like some of the flying scenes in the first did. 3D was also fantastic (I never saw the first in 3D but everyone always says that one has great 3D also). People usually clap more than usual in these early screenings but the crowd seemed to really love it. I need to find the song they played during the credits and one of the first flying sequences. Dreamworks did it again.

EDIT: Man, I really adore the flying scene that's in the first 5 minutes video in the OP.

Saw it today as well. Great movie. I think I liked the first a hair better but I'd certainly put this one at just about the same level.

I never would have guessed five years ago that I'd soon be dreading Pixar sequels while feeling wholly confident in Dreamworks sequels.

Korten

Banned
Can't wait for this! I just finished the second season of the show, granted the show isn't as good as the movie, but it's nice fluff to compliment the movie.

Saw it today as well. Great movie. I think I liked the first
a hair better but I'd certainly put this one at just about the same level.

I never would have guessed five years ago that I'd soon be dreading Pixar sequels while feeling wholly confident in Dreamworks sequels.

Glad you liked it. I was a little apprehensive that the movie wouldn't live up to the hype, but the reviews seem very positive.

Can't wait for this! I just finished the second season of the show, granted the show isn't as good as the movie, but it's nice fluff to compliment the movie.

I have never watched, but I heard that Netflix picked up two more seasons of the show. That is some great promo for the films.

Korten

Banned
Glad you liked it. I was a little apprehensive that the movie wouldn't live up to the hyped, but the reviews seem very positive.

I have never watched, but I heard that Netflix picked up two more seasons of the show. That is some great promo for the films.

The only problem I have with the show is that there is too little "arc" storylines. Sure there is things set up in earlier episodes that come into play later on, but typically these are just
one-episode stories. I kind of wish it was like the Justice League cartoon, every season opening and finalie are 3 episode arcs and the episodes inbetween are 2 episode arcs.

Though Season 2 does get better with this, while most episodes are still "monster of the week" structure, it does have various elements that have been set up keep coming into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom