• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 |OT| Don't watch the trailers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG. I wonder if my local Target carries them....

7732f81d.png

Daft_Cat

I never said it was an critical aberration.

I stated that I don't think the average person would notice the score. Which should be prerequisite to win in my mind.

You serious?

I can think of maybe 3 or 4 film soundtracks in the past 5 years that you might find on the average person's soundtrack. Social Network is definitely one of them. There's no "agree to disagree" here. That was a popular, critically acclaimed score. Trent Reznor's name alone was enough to draw significant attention to it.

In other news, I'm seeing this in two days. First one is a solid 3/4 for me, so here's hoping this one's as good if not better. I've been hearing that's not the case, but whatever.

sirap

Just saw this. Fantastic movie, it's been a great month for movies (this + Edge of Tomorrow)

Not as intimate as the first one, but I like how they're not afraid of going dark in the sequel.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Can't wait for this movie to come out in Wednesday here!

And watching some of the trailers, looks like I was right that they were using ideas from the sequel book about pirates.

Wow so soon, I had no idea. First HTTYD was surprisingly great, will watch since reviews are promising.

The highest wave of criticism against Dreamworks happened in the second half of the last decade and the movies you listed precede that period. Stuff like Shrek 3, Madagascar 2, Over the Hedge, Bee Movie... the critcism were valid I'd say. They did come around after HTTYD though and for the last few years their track record is superior to Pixar's output.

I don't know why people like Antz though, I thought it was very meh

You mean KFP. That movie changed my mind with DW since their Shark Tale shit. Never have I seen amazing kung fu choreography translated beautifully into animation.

Considering the number of people who have seen it at advance screenings, I am surprised that there are so few reviews. Hopefully they start rolling in over the next few days.

Not that I am complaining about 100% or anything.

Daft_Cat

I thought the first one was a better movie... but I enjoyed the scope of this one more.

I don't think people will like it as much overall (that goes for critics as well), but I can't imagine fans of the first one will be overly disappointed. I'd give a solid 3/4 to both!

Nintyb

Banned
First one was excellent with a godlike score. Looking forward to the sequel but I already know it won't retain the same magic.

Daft_Cat

First one was excellent with a godlike score. Looking forward to the sequel but I already know it won't retain the same magic.

The score to this one is similarly great.

Soundtrack spoilers for those who are sensitive to that kinda thing (zero plot spoilers):

A lot of the themes sounded familiar to me, although admittedly I'm not incredibly familiar with the first one's score. Still, I'm pretty sure a few of the themes from the first one get reprisals along with some great new stuff.

Box office is actually trending much lower than it was initially. Looking at a 60m opening weekend.

Pretty mediocre, but it should have good legs.

Box office is actually trending much lower than it was initially. Looking at a 60m opening weekend.

Pretty mediocre, but it should have good legs.

Wow. Really? I was expecting this to have a beastly opening weekend because of how the legs were on the first one and how reaction to it has seem to have grown over the years.

:(

Leeness

Rotten tomatoes go up! I think it will keep pretty level/go up. I doubt there will be many rotten reviews.

Tracking kind of low suuuuucks though :( I'm going to go see it this weekend! Take my money!

Wow. Really? I was expecting this to have a beastly opening weekend because of how the legs were on the first one and how reaction to it has seem to have grown over the years.

:(

Their advertising has actually been relatively tame this time around it seems. I hardly ever see stuff around for it.

I wish the trailer didn't reveal what it did. ;~; That would've been cool to discover when watching the film for the first time.. but there was no escaping the movie previews in theaters.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wish the trailer didn't reveal what it did. ;~; That would've been cool to discover when watching the film for the first time.. but there was no escaping the movie previews in theaters.

tbqh the trailer only showed
Hiccup's mom
without any much context. The movie has far more "materials".

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
A little bummed... there's a theater not to far from me that has a real IMAX screen (i.e. double height, not the smaller IMAX in most theaters) and I'd been waiting to get a ticket there. As of yesterday, they only had tickets for Real3D and non-3D, but no IMAX, so I took the plunge & bought tickets at a different theater.

Lo and behold today the IMAX showing at the first theater shows up. Oh well. Maybe we'll go see it a second time :)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
A little bummed... there's a theater not to far from me that has a real IMAX screen (i.e. double height, not the smaller IMAX in most theaters) and I'd been waiting to get a ticket there. As of yesterday, they only had tickets for Real3D and non-3D, but no IMAX, so I took the plunge & bought tickets at a different theater.

Lo and behold today the IMAX showing at the first theater shows up. Oh well. Maybe we'll go see it a second time :)

Cant you cancel your other tickets?

Just saw this in 3D and it blew me away. Everything lived up to the original; the score was fantastic, the animation set a new bar, and the story was phenomenal. Best sequel since Empire Strikes Back. Cannot wait to see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom