• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 |OT| Don't watch the trailers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely mind blown. One of the greatest cartoon movies ever. This is a straight up adventure film that works on every level. I loved the first one too, glad it is not the same movie twice. Not sure which I like most, but the action in this one blows away the first.

Ryu751

Banned
I thought the plot took way to long to develop. Then when the movie started moving it went lighting fast. Meh first and second act, great third act. I would give it a solid 8. The movie did something right for me to enjoy the third act so much.

Finaika

I thought the plot took way to long to develop. Then when the movie started moving it went lighting fast. Meh first and second act, great third act. I would give it a solid 8. The movie did something right for me to enjoy the third act so much.

Pretty much what I thought as well.

.... have you seen the first one?

He has publicly disdained for HTTYD since day one. Same with many other animated films like Tangled.

Not sure why he always comments on them when they obviously are not his thing...

(I doubt he has even seen #2. If he has.... why would he go to the sequel to a film he doesn't like? It makes no sense.)

Gibbo

I really think that they should have
Left out the Dragon Hunter guy (Can't remember his name but he was the one who took over Stoic's Dragon at the end). He served very little purpose in the story. His scenes contribute to some of the movie's few lighthearted moments though. It was a much darker film than the first one

scarlet

I had a very high expectations, and left disapointed. The first one is way much better, still good, just not that as good as HTTYD.

I know they're going to kill the dad, but still shocking and sad moment. I cried a lil bit

Tucah

you speak so well

Yeah, this is about what I thought too. I'd probably go a little lower, like a 7, but I thought the third act was a lot of fun while the first 2/3 were just okay.

ionitron

HTTYD is my favorite movie ever. Just had to get that out of the way first.

That being said, I really loved this movie. Mostly because I just loved seeing the characters again and how they interact with each other, and how they've changed throughout the years. Hiccup's chemistry with Astrid in the beginning made me all fuzzy because it was so genuine and seemed like they really knew each other, it was adorable. And his relationship with Toothless? Amazing. It really, really shined through, you really saw it.

I had a few problems with it, but whatever, I still really loved it. The animation also blew my mind- I saw it in 2D because my friend has glasses and is migraine-prone, but even then I really felt the flying scenes. I could gush about specifics later.

So many favorite scenes but the one where Stoic saw Valka (Spelling?) was definitely one of my favorites. I knew someone would die because it was too happy to be true, but I really didn't expect it to be Stoic. What a movie to have on father's day weekend....

Edit: I would also like to add that I think honestly that kids could even be potentially bored by a lot in this movie, really. I felt it really reached out to an older audience with its character interactions.

Saw this yesterday and to be honest I was not impressed in the slightest. Hiccup was at his most obnoxious this time around. Also, the plot was surprisingly predictable; I saw
Stoick's death coming a mile away (it was pretty obvious that they were setting up Hiccup as chief from the beginning, that plus the introduction of his mother to replace him, etc.)
, or the little "twist" with the
baby dragons
(I managed to avoid watching the trailers which apparently spoil this or so I've been told). There were also way too many eye-rolling moments for my liking, but the one that bothered the most was that
The Power of Friendship™ Conquers All!!!!!!/"He's fighting for YOU, Hiccup!!!"
moment near the end. As for positives, this movie is obviously going for a darker tone and more "epic" feel than the original. If you're into that, the movie definitely succeeds.

T.O.P

Banned
Just watched the first and it practically went straight up to one of my favourite movies ever

Dying to watch 2 in theatres but i've decided to wait for the english BD since i can't stand italian dubs if i'm used to the original voices

HYPE

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
If you liked the first, you should watch the TV show, Riders of Berk (season 1) and Defenders of Berk (Season 2). I think it'll make you enjoy the second one even more, especially the secondary characters. Plus it's really good.

I'm really curious to see where they take the next season -- will it come before or after HTTYD2?

Symphonic

The new remix of Test Drive that has lyrics now was fantastic.

I dont think its as good as the first one but it is a Very enjoyable movie. I love Hiccup and Astrid's interactions in the beginning of the film.

Not really a remix, it's a new song from the same guy that did Sticks and Stones on the first soundtrack. He worked with Powell occasionally apparently, you can really hear some of his influences in the score every now and then.

Flying With Mother is the best track off the new score. It's one of the new themes and it's crazy good, makes me wish Powell used more new themes though I understand why he didn't.

RulkezX

My favourite film on 2014 so far. Took my young boys to see it today , we all loved it. It had absolutely everything I'd want in a family movie.

Eiolon

I really enjoyed the original movie. It was very refreshing compared to some of Pixar's movies at the time. This movie I can't say I like as much, but if you were a fan of the original, or if you have kids, I can say it's worth the trip to the theater.

The biggest thing I did not like is it almost seemed like an episode of Teen Wolf but with dragons.
The two guys fighting for the chick, the chick being wooed by the trapper, all the bulging and throbbing muscle references, and then there is the whole alpha thing going on.

Then you have to get beyond the fact that there is a TV series, and while I haven't seen it myself, does this make it feel like its a more large budget, extended episode for those who have? Was the story really something worthy of all the trouble?

Ravek

Banned
Wow.

GAF is really pounding on the movie.

Just got back from watching it with my six year old son and my three year old daughter.

He loved it, of course. She fell asleep near the beginning, but that was my fault for picking a movie time around her normal nap time. When she woke up, she was sad she missed it.

Anyways. I think some of you are maybe forgetting what its like to be a kid and remember the awe and excitement a kids movie is suppose to be. It doesn't have to be overly deep. If its predictable...so what?

...thats my opinion though.

Regardless, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I wish
the fight of the Alphas could have been more dynamic and longer
but it was still great.

Gibbo

Not really a remix, it's a new song from the same guy that did Sticks and Stones on the first soundtrack. He worked with Powell occasionally apparently, you can really hear some of his influences in the score every now and then.

Flying With Mother is the best track off the new score. It's one of the new themes and it's crazy good, makes me wish Powell used more new themes though I understand why he didn't.

Listening to the soundtrack, 'toothless found' is an amazing action piece. It's where the new theme shines best I think

Going to go see it in the morning. Very excited. Will post my impressions afterwards.

I hope I didn't overhype it for myself. Luckily I am a sucker for epicness, and from peoples reactions that seems to be one of the strong aspects of the film

Odoul

HTTYD is my favorite movie ever. Just had to get that out of the way first.

That being said, I really loved this movie. Mostly because I just loved seeing the characters again and how they interact with each other, and how they've changed throughout the years. Hiccup's chemistry with Astrid in the beginning made me all fuzzy because it was so genuine and seemed like they really knew each other, it was adorable. And his relationship with Toothless? Amazing. It really, really shined through, you really saw it.

I had a few problems with it, but whatever, I still really loved it. The animation also blew my mind- I saw it in 2D because my friend has glasses and is migraine-prone, but even then I really felt the flying scenes. I could gush about specifics later.

So many favorite scenes but the one where Stoic saw Valka (Spelling?) was definitely one of my favorites. I knew someone would die because it was too happy to be true, but I really didn't expect it to be Stoic. What a movie to have on father's day weekend....

Edit: I would also like to add that I think honestly that kids could even be potentially bored by a lot in this movie, really. I felt it really reached out to an older audience with its character interactions.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts.

I LOVE the first movie. I don't know if the sequel is better or worse. It's different. It's a straight out animated action/adventure movie.

Dreamworks seems to be the only animation house willing to go that route.

And yes. HIccup/Astrid at the beginning was great.

He has publicly disdained for HTTYD since day one. Same with many other animated films like Tangled.

Not sure why he always comments on them when they obviously are not his thing...

(I doubt he has even seen #2. If he has.... why would he go to the sequel to a film he doesn't like? It makes no sense.)

Even so... that's a ridiculous statement. He's seen the film, I take it, so I'm assuming he's badmouthing it simply because it's animated.

I am a bit disappointed by the Box Office results, but it is far from a disaster.

Will wait and see what the international numbers are, in addition to its longevity.

Ravek

Banned
I am a bit disappointed by the Box Office results, but it is far from a disaster.

Will wait and see what the international numbers are, in addition to its longevity.

I'm assuming this one will be a slow constant burn.

I could be wrong but I don't think the first one was a hit right away
(Must consult boxofficemojo.com)

I'm assuming this one will be a slow constant burn.

I could be wrong but I don't think the first one was a hit right away
(Must consult boxofficemojo.com)

It had remarkable legs. Went #1 in its 5th week.

I am not sure if that feat can be managed with a sequel though.

y2dvd

This was an absolutely gorgeous movie. The first one was my personal favorite movie that year and I still believe to this day it had the best 3D visuals. It's weird not catching part 2 in 3D. I totally regret it when watching it in 2D. I kept thinking, yep, the 3D effects would look amazing in this and this scene. I'm going back to watch it in 3D.

Part 2 wasn't as fun as the first and maybe that's why I didn't like it as much as the first one, but it was still a great sequel. They decided to take it in a slightly more mature direction, just as all of the characters matures.
The scene with his parents was touching and Stoic's death legit made me shook. :'[

Oh and this movie did Godzilla better than Godzilla

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The biggest thing I did not like is it almost seemed like an episode of Teen Wolf but with dragons.
The two guys fighting for the chick, the chick being wooed by the trapper, all the bulging and throbbing muscle references, and then there is the whole alpha thing going on.

I've not read the spoiler, but I'm going into this thinking that the male characters will constantly be half naked

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow.

GAF is really pounding on the movie.

Just got back from watching it with my six year old son and my three year old daughter.

He loved it, of course. She fell asleep near the beginning, but that was my fault for picking a movie time around her normal nap time. When she woke up, she was sad she missed it.

Anyways. I think some of you are maybe forgetting what its like to be a kid and remember the awe and excitement a kids movie is suppose to be. It doesn't have to be overly deep. If its predictable...so what?

...thats my opinion though.

but it was still great.

Yeah I don't get some of the comments.

Hiccup is Hiccup. He is pushed again in a situation where he is uncomfortable with and he tries to adapt to it, and he realizes what he must do in the process. This is his character development. I don't see how he is obnoxious here.

It's played for laughs.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah I don't get some of the comments.

Hiccup is Hiccup. He is pushed again in a situation where he is uncomfortable with and he tries to adapt to it, and he realizes what he must do in the process. This is his character development. I don't see how he is obnoxious here.

I think that some people can't stand Baruchel's voice. I've seen that comment come up again and again talking about the first movie, and even when early trailers for 2 were shown people complained that Baruchel still has the role.

His voice never bothered me. It's Hiccup's voice, and the character wouldn't be the same without it.

Gibbo

After listening to the soundtrack for most of the day today, I think John Powell might have outdone himself.
stoik ship gives me goosebumps everytime I play it

This film was excellent, my only complaint is the villain was one-note. Amazing first half, great second half.
The first film while enjoyable was predictable. The second one had less of that except the chief dying.

How To Train Your FEELS
Tell me about it, it was hard not to cry during the film.

It's so much better than Despicable Me.
Yes, Despicable Me is pretty average in terms of DreamWorks movies. This is high up. I would say it HTTYD 2 > KFP 2 > DM 2 > Mad. 2

toothless is an awful dragon, if i was his owner i would of put him down.

wait-what-gif.gif

I think that some people can't stand Baruchel's voice. I've seen that comment come up again and again talking about the first movie, and even when early trailers for 2 were shown people complained that Baruchel still has the role.

His voice never bothered me. It's Hiccup's voice, and the character wouldn't be the same without it.

Same. I was never familiar with the actor, so the voice causes no negative emotions for me personally.

I agree. The voice doesn't bother me and it actually fits with Hiccup's character for me.

Although now every time I see Baruchel on any live action film, all I hear is Hiccup's voice lol.

Mumei

Same. I was never familiar with the actor, so the voice causes no negative emotions for me personally.

To be honest, at first I thought that the voice wasn't really his voice; I just thought it was a "character" voice he was doing to sound like that (and I thought it fit the character). And then I heard him speaking as himself and... he sounded exactly the same and it was insufferably annoying. Now I drift in and out of thinking that it works and thinking that it's incredibly annoying. Sometimes both!

I loved the movie either way. The song. ;_;

I'm a little pissed off.
Gerard Butler is listed to be in #3.

Flashbacks?

Thought it a little morbid that they
killed the father on Father's Day weekend.

but it was still great.

Yeah, that was anticlimatic at best. Thought for sure it would have gone longer so it caught me by surprise it was just 30 seconds and done.

The movie was pretty good, though after watching HttYD 1 so many times and both seasons of the show (it's actually decent, usually, and has most of the same voice cast) it was a little jarring to have them be five years older and no exposition at all about what happened during that time.

Speaking of the show, it's too bad for
Nolan North
. Though I wonder who they'll get to replace Cate Blanchett on the show?
Probably Nolan North.

one other thing: in the show they talk about shot limits, and that every dragon has them. (Kind of like counting shots if you're Archer.) I don't remember counting but I was pretty sure that Toothless should have approached his as much as he was shooting
the Alpha
. Heck, all of the
dragons when they were shooting the Alpha.

And another: I liked that they explained the sword. I was wondering for awhile if it was so Viking artifact (if dragons exist, why not magic) but then to have it just be the Zippleback gas was cool. Showed off his inventiveness.

Felt the same way. They talked more or about 2/3 of the movie with the ending basically being the action. 8/10 fo rme as well.

one other thing: in the show they talk about shot limits, and that every dragon has them. (Kind of like counting shots if you're Archer.) I don't remember counting but I was pretty sure that Toothless should have approached his as much as he was shooting
the Alpha

I don't think that Night Furies have a shot limit.

Just got back from the film. I thought it was very good, if not quite up to the original.

The visuals were a massive standout. Every moment of the film was stunning in that respect.

I liked the plot, but there was too much going on for the length. I feel like it was heavily limited by the amount of time kids can watch a movie comfortably. Every part of the plot was good, but could have used a couple more minutes to develop.

I give it an 8.5/10.

I don't think that Night Furies have a shot limit.

I know the HttYD wiki isn't exactly canon but it says six shots. It also says that the show also disregards this limit a few episodes later so maybe it's like Superman where he has powers that exist for the show itself and then never materialize again.
Kind of like the plasma glow and Alpha-ness that will probably be ignored in the next movie/series.

Can't help but look at other animated films' opening weekends and wonder why some others that are less well regarded did better. Then again maybe the competition was stouter.

I still haven't seen it and probably won't in the near future. The girlfriend really dug it though.

Pau

Just got back from watching it. Loved it. New soundtrack was great, I want a poster set of all those backgrounds that they played over the credits, and I want my own Toothless. ;-; Watching him do silly things in the background was great.

I don't think the plot or character development was really that much weaker than the first movie. I do wish they could have spent far more time developing stuff because I just love their world.

I also expected Astrid to become Chief after Hiccup talked about not being able to give speeches, and Astrid is constantly pepping people up or giving speeches to people who capture her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom