• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 |OT| Don't watch the trailers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One scene I think is not getting enough love is
When Astrid and Hiccup are talking on the Cliff. EASILY the best romance I've seen in a children's movie. It's not even close.

Nah dawg, it isn't even the best romance scene in a Dreamworks film since the best is Moses waking up next to Zipporah in The Prince of Egypt.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'm glad I've watched the trailers because the tv spots they are showing in the UK could not be a more spoiler ridden thirty seconds if they tried

Guys, which version of HTTYD is the best one to buy?

How is the DVD/3D Bluray combo? Can I view this blu-ray in just 2D as well or do I need a 3D TV?

I wish they released some sort of master combo version with 3D, 2D bluray and all the special features. sigh.

Yeah, that's a good point. What happened to her character? She was stubborn and tough as nails.

Here she could've been just about anyone.

Welllllll, NO ONE other than Hiccup-n-Fam had much of a role. Astrid was the closest to having something to her name but everyone was low key .... STAY TONED FOR THE TV SHOW" is all I really got from it.

Two, if the rumors are to be believed.

So you noticed that as well? I was thinking,
"you just said how rare they are and yet you seem to know how to tell how old he is. Odd."
Yeah,
they're hinting HARD that they're gonna whip out some Nightfurys on us. I actually expected them to pull a KFP2 and just show Toothless's family in a far away land as a stinger.

Well, I left with the feeling
Drago is still alive. As we haven't seen his body, or him really dying. If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage
. Knowing it is a trilogy, it wouldn't suprise me even..[/spoiler]
It felt like a kid's movie
death to me. 1) not directly killed by the protag but from the flow in his character (The bewildering Beast is afraid of him and what comes with that exactly? He would have no reason to EVER want to obey him is he's in a clearly weak state as his connection is that of fear. So hows Drago gonna force this beast to surface when they're both underwater and he has to hold on to him for dear life because he has a chunk of metal for an arm and is far FAR from land?) 2) No death actually shown, just implied due to improbable likelihood of survival.

Plus ... he was a really weak sauce villain. If he DOES come back I could see him hunting down a pack of NightFurys to run up on Berk and get Toothless good and Rekt seeing how ... ya know ... he has likely hunted them down before to get his armor.

Ludovico

Paid to see Jump 22 last night, during the previews my date mentioned this movie offhand, like that's something she really wanted to see. Checked the showtimes on her phone and walked two screens down just in time to catch the start.

Awesome movie, went in completely blind aside from knowing it was 5 years after the first. Really enjoyed the dragon designs as well as all the characters, and as for length it hit just the right spot. Dreamworks still hitting all the highnotes without sounding too preachy.

Agnosia

Neo Member
This applies to all trailers of any movie / TV series / video game / etc.

Watch the first trailer. Did you like what you saw? If the answer is no then keep watching upcoming trailers. If the aswer is yes then do yourself a favor and blackout from any info concerning that movie/game's content and you will most likely enjoy it more. Because in practice any piece of information is a spoiler, you are getting to know what's going to happen in the movie before watching it first hand, in context, without expecting the good bits from the trailers (that won't be that good and won't impress now since they are expected) and in its proper full form.

Loxley

Absolutely loved it. The first thing I did when I got back from the theater was buy the OST, John Powell you magnificent man. One thing that immediately struck me while watching was just how damn beautiful the film is from a technical perspective; the lighting in particular is stunning. One other thing that never ceases to impress me are Toothless' mannerisms. You can really tell that the animators studied the behavior of domesticated animals and how they interact not only with humans, but with each other.

It may have eclipsed the first one for me, but I'll have to watch them back-to-back to make that call.

So fucking good. Glad I never watched any trailers either.
re Stotic and toothless
Oh god, when Stotic died, a little girl of maybe 8 or so sat next to me started crying, damn near got me going aswell . She was loving the film then BAM! straight crying right up till past the funeral

Enjoyed the movie. Good pacing, good length unlike many movies in the last few years that love to pad things out.

Still extremely bitter at the trailers spoiling a few things, though.

For me, I loved the
fight between Drako and Stoic with the two alphas in the background. So good!

I was a little bit let down, because I thought this would be the adventure of Hiccup and gang, his friends didn't get enough screen time. And the
love trian...square is totally pointless
, it's only there for comedic purpose.

Other than those, I love this movie, still like the first one better though.

Bravoexo

The whole series has been an amazing run... from the first movie, to the two seasons of the TV series, and the mini movies...loved Toothless at Gift of the Night Fury especially

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
GAF is the only place I know that complained that "Astrid and Hiccup feels artificial". wat.

If anything, I love how their romance is treated. It doesn't feel contrived or focused, yet at the same time you know it's there and with the background touches, it feels realistic and that they have a healthy relationship going through with them.

I was a little bit let down, because I thought this would be the adventure of Hiccup and gang, his friends didn't get enough screen time. And the
love trian...square is totally pointless
, it's only there for comedic purpose.

Other than those, I love this movie, still like the first one better though.

It's never been about the friends though, and romance being played for laughs isn't something new and isn't really something of a negative.

Das Ace

i liked the movie a lot, but it doesn't have the same ompf that the first gave me. But I guess nothing can really touch that film in my eyes.

Finally got to see this yesterday, I loved it. Toothless was hilarious, the story wasn't what I expected and I wish the side characters had a little more to do but Hiccup and Toothless were great. Unfortunately I couldn't catch it in 3D :( seems like it would have been amazing with all the flying. I'll watch it in 3D at home I guess.

Finally got to see this on Saturday. Loved it, but the first was definitely better IMO. This one though definitely seemed a bit rushed to me, could have been fleshed out a bit more in spots, and I felt the fist movie definitely had better pacing overall (of course, it's been a while since I've seen it, but still). But those are minor complaints really--there was way more to love than not and and I still, really, really enjoyed it and it was an excellent sequel, IMO. ^_^

GCX

I've been listening the soundtrack and man, it's so so so good. The new and old themes perfectly complement each other. John Powell really outdid himself.

PsychBat!

Banned
I finally saw it tonight with my sisters and a friend and I have to say....

I need to see it again. By myself, I need to take in all the emotion.

Timbuktu

I enjoyed it, though not a much as the first. Like others I thought the villain was a bit forgettable, not sure why they made him the only non white character there is. The plot was a muddled and the friends and gf characters were sacrificed to make space for the mother. They just seem to be there because they were in the first one.

Is it me, or were that pieces of references to mononoke in this?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Saw this last night and absolutely loved it and I already want to go see it again
I feel it moved a bit slower and was a bit more serious than the last film but it worked well enough
The friend I saw it with cried

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Watched it today with the girlfriend. We both liked it but prefer the first. Red Death was a more menacing presence than Bewilderbeast and Drogo was a weak villain; he needed a right-hand man such as Captain Hook had. Fun flick, though -- hoping for a sequel.

Xun

I finally saw it today.

Great film, even though it was pretty predictable.

I look forward to the next.

Came back from a rewatch, it's more fun than the first time, the Stoic and Valka reunion scene is just as touching.

I love Drago's screen presence, even though he didn't really have a lot of screen time. I hate how his first real introduction was brought by a flashback, that old enemy crap is too convenient for my taste.

Edit: All the trailers are horribly edited, even more so than Disney's.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
went to see it with the family yesterday. Cried a little bit myself - I am particularly weak to
father/son stuff having a son myself

I loved the section where hiccup meets the other dragon rider - from the moment above the clouds, through to the
demasking
- pretty much all done without dialogue (or at least any two way dialogue) and the movements were very animalistic. Just really well done.

Spineker

Banned
Jesus christ,
Toothless was forced to kill Stoik? Fuck me that was brutal.

You're finally starting to get it, Dreamworks. Pixar need to pick up their game. Bravo.

I saw this movie with my kids. It was enjoyable - a bit predictable and not quite as good as the first but still a good film. My 9 year old son gave it "4 out of 5 stars". I'm not really sure why but there you have it!

New news: HTTYD 3 pushed back to 2017. Right in the middle of The Lego Movie and a Pixar film.

I guess that didn't learn that huge gaps between sequels hurts instead of helps.

Hamlet

New news: HTTYD 3 pushed back to 2017. Right in the middle of The Lego Movie and a Pixar film.

I guess that didn't learn that huge gaps between sequels hurts instead of helps.

Wasn't its original release date the same as Finding Dory that may have had something to do with the move.
Delay still sucks but i'm sure the film will be worth the wait at least.

ZoddGutts

Eh, wasn't impress by this movie. A noticeable step down from the first film. A certain characters death didn't affect me much because of how it was handled, almost kid like cartoon. The characters didn't get much development including the villain. Overall it felt very average. 7/10

Wasn't its original release date the same as Finding Dory that may have had something to do with the move.
Delay still sucks but i'm sure the film will be worth the wait at least.

Eh. I still think it would have been better to shuffle the release date within the year... rather than a full year delay.

I really liked the movie but 2 things bothered me a lot in it.

1- How did Dragon control the Alpha, i mean scream at him, and grunts, really?
2- Hiccup and Stoik forgave the mother pretty quickly. It was immediate. This really got under my nerves.

Hiccup thought she was dead, so there wasn't really any built up resentment.

I feel like if he had known in advance of her desertion it would have been a bit different.

Fezan

Loved the movie. I always felt that the first movie was overhyped and not that good so want expecting Much but this movie bkew me away. The best thing about this movie was how real all the relationship felt Specially the moment when hiccups mom was expecting stoik to scream in her yet he moved toasts her without saying a word
Absolutely perfect

T.O.P

Banned
Just watched this, liked it as much as the first one (felt a bit less fresh, but the first one is a masterpiece so it had big shoes to fill in), easily my favourite animated series as of now, the bond between the riders and the dragons is fantastic

Dying to know if we'll have a sequel, meanwhile, gonna listen to the o.s.t. <3

@NVM June 2017 YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

Zetta

Just saw this movie and holy crap I hate myself for not going to the movie theaters to go watch it. I loved it just as much as the first one and happy to read that another is being made. The connections between the characters in this movie were great, teared up when
Stoik saw Valka again and said what he said
. I'll been watching this again several times like I did with the first.

no body complained about the only black guy in the movie and he is the bad guy? same thing with black alpha?

This is the age kids get idea of fear and things and this movie promoted same shit.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
no body complained about the only black guy in the movie and he is the bad guy? same thing with black alpha?

This is the age kids get idea of fear and things and this movie promoted same shit.

the fuck

pretty sure he's a bad guy because he did terrible things whereas the dragon was seen as evil due to being enslaved into evil and is imposing

the fuck

pretty sure he's a bad guy because he did terrible things whereas the dragon was seen as evil due to being enslaved into evil and is imposing

bad guy is always bad guy because he did bad things. in this case i have not seen the movie yet but just saw scenes it is so bad the sterotypical villnary appearance.

Fj0823

bad guy is always bad guy because he did bad things. in this case i have not seen the movie yet but just saw scenes it is so bad the sterotypical villnary appearance.

Get. Out.

Also Hi guys, really a fan of this series. Loved the first one better, but they are both fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom