• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will the world look like when genius is common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono

Banned
Eventually scientists will unlock the genetic key to intelligence, and probably this decade parents will be able to select different embryos for intelligence before having a baby, and then there will be pills that enhance intelligence - and those pills will only get more powerful. And on and on.

I don't think there's any technology in human history that you could say is more important or game-changing than this, it really will change everything.

Imagine if 'creativity' is something that could be enhanced, will there be one day thousands of pulitzer-quality books a year? Millions?

What if there were a billion super-geniuses in the world today? It really is kind of frighting to think about. Imagine a scenario like in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, now this will be gradual but just think about it - if you can transform people completely overnight? Exciting and scary times ahead...

.GqueB.

Banned
The bigger problem is the fact that many of these things won't be available to all. Only the rich and elite (at least at first). That will cause issues I'm sure.

Esch

Banned
The bigger problem is the fact that many of these things won't be available to all. Only the rich and elite (at least at first). That will cause issues I'm sure.

Yep, so probably like Gundam Seed.

Meaning suicide might not be a bad idea.

the-incredibles-syndrome.jpg

*Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super...
[chuckles evilly]
- no one will be.

nothing will happen. there will always be someone smarter than you. and what you're talking about will only be for the moneyed elite. don't you guys get it? there will never be a utopia.

Prez

There are already tons of geniuses who waste their talent and play games, watch television and browse forums all day and feel like losers because they're different from the norm. In a growing consumer society this will only get worse.

There are already tons of geniuses who waste their talent and play games, watch television and browse forums all day and feel like losers because they're different from the norm. In a growing consumer society this will only get worse.

Yeah, just look at GAF.

Genius is not much different from mental illness. There was a great article about this in the NYT recently. Basically most geniuses are good at stuff like mathematics, science, chess, or playing an instrument but they lack the wisdom and experience nessesary to understand how to apply these things in the real world. Also people tend to treat them as adults which is a big mistake

Vaporak

Eventually scientists will unlock the genetic key to intelligence, and probably this decade parents will be able to select different embryos for intelligence before having a baby, and then there will be pills that enhance intelligence - and those pills will only get more powerful. And on and on.

Well you certainly escalated that quickly.

Jafku

I don't know about tons... maybe a handful.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm technically a genius, and I work a low-key IT job, playing games and browsing GAF all day. I intend to do so for the rest of my life as well. I'm sure there are many like me.

shira

I don't think there's any technology in human history that you could say is more important or game-changing than this, it really will change everything.

Imagine if 'creativity' is something that could be enhanced, will there be one day thousands of pulitzer-quality books a year? Millions?

What if there were a billion super-geniuses in the world today? It really is kind of frighting to think about. Imagine a scenario like in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, now this will be gradual but just think about it - if you can transform people completely overnight? Exciting and scary times ahead...

Nope

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
If we get to the point where everyone can pop a pill, genetically modify themselves and plug their brains into the internet or whatever and be super duper smart... society as a whole will have already had a few changes.

I guess the best answer is "post scarcity utopia" and worst answer is "post scarcity dystopia". I'm hoping for the former, I guess. But I really just enjoy seeing the world change in general, so, here's looking forward to the ride I guess.

I'm technically a genius, and I work a low-key IT job, playing games and browsing GAF all day. I intend to do so for the rest of my life as well. I'm sure there are many like me.

Don't want to be 'that guy' - but as soon as someone calls themselves a genius, I start to assume they are anything but. Not sure why.

Chrono

Banned
nothing will happen. there will always be someone smarter than you. and what you're talking about will only be for the moneyed elite. don't you guys get it? there will never be a utopia.

I didn't say anything about a utopia.

As far as the rich controlling this, most people in the world will be able to afford a daily pill, don't you think?

Also, I think governments will want to make sure as many of their people are enhanced as possible. And if they don't there'll be pressure from the people for them to do so.

I imagine in China this stuff will be mandatory but in other places there will be a lot of debate on the morality of selecting embryos and such. If conservatives in America for example think abortion is murder, what will they think if parents have a dozen ivf embryos and select the smartest/best looking/etc.. and 'murder' the rest?

I'm sure nothing will really change because morals and ethics are what dictate the human condition and the human condition is the lens we see the world through. I'm unconvinced that intellegence factors into things like morals and ethics besides being another tool used to explain such concepts.

Prez

In order to be considered a genius you have to first discover your talent, then spend countless hours developing your talent, then others have to discover your talent. Throughout history there have always been tons of geniuses who never discovered their talent and people who expect immediate results aren't willing to work on their talent. You don't see these people but they're there and there's a lot of them. They're considered losers because they haven't achieved what society expects from them.

Read some biographies of talented painters, authors and musicians. Most jazz artists for example were mentally ill and were hooked on drugs their entire life. They weren't good at anything except their music. If their art form didn't exist, they would have been exactly like the millions of forgotten people who got nowhere in life. Most of them were miserable people despite their talent.

One of the most interesting biographies to get an understanding of this is Art Pepper's Straight Life. No need to be into jazz, he barely talks about his music in his book.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well, genius does not equal ambition.

Ambition is a construct of the privileged conservative mind created to disenfranchise the people who were unlucky enough to not be given wealth by the establishment.

I read that on the Internet somewhere.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
the-incredibles-syndrome.jpg

*Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super...
[chuckles evilly]
- no one will be.
Stole my post.

Also yeah it's blatantly obvious OP just watched Gattaca and whilst a great film, you're kind of putting the cart before the horse there OP.

"will there be one day thousands of pulitzer-quality books a year? Millions? "

Won't change anything, we'll still choose the best, this time only the best among the best.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I thought there was a test which involved putting an elephant inside a refrigerator. If you managed to do it, you're a genius!
Here is the test

The following short quiz consists of 4 questions and will tell you whether you are qualified to be a professional. The questions are NOT that difficult.

1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?

Correct Answer:
Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe, and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.

2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?

Did you say, Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant, and close the refrigerator?

Wrong Answer.

Correct Answer:
Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your previous actions.

3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference. All the animals attend.... except one. Which animal does not attend?

Correct Answer:
The Elephant. The elephant is in the refrigerator. You just put him in there. This tests your memory.

Okay, even if you did not answer the first three questions correctly, you still have one more chance to show your true abilities.

4. There is a river you must cross but it is used by crocodiles, and you do not have a boat. How do you manage it?

Correct Answer:
You jump into the river and swim across. Have you not been listening? All the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting. This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That is the worst test.
Yeah it's one of those "gotcha" chain mail "funnies" that yuppies and grandparents gobble up like tic-tacs. Reminds me of that Fox news article "5 Pranks To Pull on Your Significant Other".

Doesn't really matter how "genius" somebody potentially can be when their culture is as stupid as ever and people are dependent on technology and the ingenuity of others as ever before.

Culture>Genetics. Every single time. Every single example in history: past and future.

Izayoi

Banned
Don't want to be 'that guy' - but as soon as someone calls themselves a genius, I start to assume they are anything but. Not sure why.
Well, I did say "technically". I definitely was not trying to toot my own horn, or anything of the sort. Merely presenting an example. I've got an IQ of 143, which (technically) qualifies me as a genius.

Instead of using it for anything good, I've mostly used it to determine how best to coast through life. Ah well.

The Adder

Banned
Here is the test

Why
would you have to take out the giraffe? Clearly the dimensions of this refrigerator are ill-defined and, therefore, it's my assertion that both the giraffe AND Elephant can fit. Therefore there are two animals missing from the meeting. And also, I can't swim.

akira28

No. Better poop jokes.

Yeah, I don't tell a poop joke unless it will make the entire table laugh.

anyway, we will have higher overall intelligence, but genius, or the uncommon knack and aptitude for using that intelligence in an applied fashion will not be the norm. It will still be relatively uncommon, but everyone will be able to do actual good Calculus on the fly.

We have to go deeper, let's try and define intelligence.

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

- Albert Einstein

Genius might be described as a supreme capacity for getting its possessors into trouble of all kinds.

- Samuel Butler

So imaginative troublemakers only need apply.

Dali

I didn't say anything about a utopia.

As far as the rich controlling this, most people in the world will be able to afford a daily pill, don't you think?

Also, I think governments will want to make sure as many of their people are enhanced as possible. And if they don't there'll be pressure from the people for them to do so.

I imagine in China this stuff will be mandatory but in other places there will be a lot of debate on the morality of selecting embryos and such. If conservatives in America for example think abortion is murder, what will they think if parents have a dozen ivf embryos and select the smartest/best looking/etc.. and 'murder' the rest?

Why would china want their entire population to be composed of geniuses? Think Brave New Wolrd dude. You're always gonna have a use for Gammas. Not everyone needs to be an Alpha. I don't think they'd be too happy taking my garbage out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom