• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you react to a Metroid reboot w/ a black Samus

Kawika

Not even trolling here. I would prefer her to be purple with green hair like she used to be.

38337-justin.gif

Glass Rebel

Yeah, bro these aren't TV actors, they're video characters. Also, no race in any game is gonna have a barring on a character unless race is part of the story. Fans of Samus deserve more in this hypothetical then to see a character that they like both for personality and DESIGN then to have a character they like suddenly changed.

Now Samus isn't the only person in the Metroid universe and it wouldn't be a far stretch to have another character who had a similar chozo upbringing, so there's little to no need for this change.

Fans don't "deserve" shit if their enjoyment hinges on the skincolour of the character.

RRockman

Banned
A change that has no bearing on the character in-universe doesn't need an in-universe explanation. Characters in tv series get recast all the time because of external factors that don't need to be specifically explained by the story.

Dude what? This is a FLAW of live action. One of the most important things in crafting a world and it's characters and is continuity. I have always hated recasting cause it ruins immersion instantly. See Terrence Howard* And Don Cheadle as Rhodey in Iron Man 1 and the remainder of the movies. Am I really supposed to believe Rhodey got extensive plastic surgery and work done on his voice box?

Despite the fact that I don't like the idea, a black Samus CAN be done, it would simply require a new Continuity, i.e. :a reboot.

Making Zelda black would make zero sense her reincarnation is supposed to look like Hylia in mortal form.

Now with Link it should be possible for him if his mother or father but that would be quite rare is a gerudo wich could give him a darker skin tone.

Edit: so far i know Link is not former god/mortal reincarnation of one so for him genetics could alter his appearance. That's why i think it's less reasonable for Zelda to be affected by genetics since she is linked by blood to a god wich could maintain her godly genetics/looks.

jesus christ. why did I even open this thread.
i don't usually do this, but...

fucking nintendo fans

Fans don't "deserve" shit if their enjoyment hinges on the skincolour of the character.

Yeah, ok let's insinuate that:

not wanting a video game character you grew up to suddenly be changed = racism, because shouting insults down from your high horse is really gonna win you brownie points with me.

fireflame

I find the "reboot" concept to be an easy trick nowdays, like you do not know how to be creative with something reboot!.I dont know there are times in an ip where i would rather have seen more sequels well written than a plain reboot.

Dmc is an interesting reboot, but was it necessary to end the previous Devil May Cry timeline?

One thing that confuses me with comics is the amount of world a,world b, ,etc making that a same char have so many different iterations.

Syriel

Say a future Metroid game is marketed as a reboot, and at the end, Seamus Samus removes her helmet revealing she's a black woman. How would that make you feel?

What if she were a different character with Chico armor, and never outright named throughout the game?

EDIT: definition added because term is not universally understood the same way

Depends on the reboot.

If this is a classic style game (NES/SNES/GB/GBA) with a black lead? Hell yes, I'd play the shit outta that.

If this is a Federation Force style game with a black lead? Hell no, I'd stay far away from that.

Color of the character doesn't matter so much as the gameplay.

sjay1994

Radically changing the design of an established character is a move that has always worked in the past, and received no backlash from its fans.

None

DmC_box_art.png

At all

Never

The entire resident evil series

This thread screams "bait"

Glass Rebel

Dude what? This is a FLAW of live action. One of the most important things in crafting a world and it's characters and is continuity. I have always hated recasting cause it ruins immersion instantly. See Cuba Gooding Jr. And Don Cheadle as Rhodey in Iron Man 1 and the remainder of the movies. Am I really supposed to believe Rhodey got extensive plastic surgery and work done on his voice box?

Despite the fact that I don't like the idea, a black Samus CAN be done, it would simply require a new Continuity.

And yet people are totally able to look past shit like this and still enjoy their media. We've gone from a two digit number of purple and green pixels to a fully fledged 3D model without problem. But making her black, naw, that's one step too far.

Gardex

I'd rather have a new character than a redesigned version of an already existing and established character.

Either way I'd play the game and not really care because it's still Metroid. The skin color doesn't matter

KarmaCow

Why do these threads always devolve into people blatantly ignoring that the visual design of a character has any weight? As a aspiring character designer it's one of the most insulting things I can think of. Samus was based on a movie actress and has always been portrayed as being blond and white, and over the years the design has further homogenized. You can stand around all day and act like the only that matters to a video character that we're constantly LOOKING at when we play a game is a synopsis of her life history, but you'll always be dead wrong.

Well then this even more absurd since we're not constantly looking at Samus but rather her suit in the vast majority of Metroid games (which has also changed significantly throughout the series).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Weird thread, with the dictionary definition and all. o_O

Samus changed design/appearance constantly already, she went from a very tall and very muscular brown-haired woman to a petite, slender, doll-faced blonde, and no one seemed to mind that drastic change? So I don't see any issue with her being a black woman. I say bring it on, it might make manbabies on the Internet cry and that's always funny.

And yet people are totally able to look past shit like this and still enjoy their media. We've gone from a two digit number of purple and green pixels to a fully fledged 3D model without problem. But making her black, naw, that's one step too far.

Yes we've gone from a 2D sprite that couldn't accurately portray how she was suppose to look to fully establishing her look and homogenizing it to be used in multiple different occasions, that totally linear path of character design, is exactly the same thing as upending the table to change her race just to pander.

:p God this site just keeps giving.
I don't care about winning whitey points with you.
Careful now you might hurt yourself with that edge.
Well then this even more absurd since we're not constantly looking at Samus but rather her suit in the vast majority of Metroid games.
Yeah ignoring all the moments in the prime games where the loading screens focus on her face, or where she takes of her helmet, or when she's in her just as recognized form known as "Zero suit Samus."

Axass

There's no reason for Samus to be black, it would utterly stupid.

A new black character or even co-protagonist. Sure, why not.

Exodust

Banned

Why are you so mad about a fantasy topic?

Yes we've gone from a 2D sprite that couldn't accurately portray how she was suppose to look to fully establishing her look and homogenizing it to be used in multiple different occasions, that totally linear path of character design, is exactly the same thing as upending the table to change her race just to pander.

Let me note that I understand what you're saying here.

With that said

I genuinely don't care if we suddenly change Samus's design

because her current design is fucking garbage designed for pandering anyway. It has been since Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

KorrZ

I'd rather developers focus on creating new and interesting minority/female characters. Personally I've never been a fan of the idea of just changing the skin color or gender of existing characters. It comes off as if diverse characters can only be successful if they're a reskin of an existing popular white character, which I'm not sure is the right message? Idk.

But why?

I really don't understand why?

Her character won't change?

Now if they ever make a movie of Metroid and a Black female is the perfect fit then fine.

Just to be clear hear I'm saying people are different but races are not. Race is not a bloody personality trait and I'm fed up of the media treating it as such.

Let me note that I understand what you're saying here.

With that said

I genuinely don't care if we suddenly change Samus's design

because her current design is pandering fucking garbage anyway.

Good for you, but it'd suck and be completely out of left field for everyone who grew up with Samus. Likewise, no, I'm not just talking about the boogyman of people who like her curvature, but people who genuinely enjoy the character as a whole.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not even trolling here. I would prefer her to be purple with green hair like she used to be.

38337-justin.gif

The purple is not her colour, you realise this, right?

I would not be bothered by it, because I play games for their gameplay. All the same I would be confused and wonder why Nintendo would change that.

Good for you, but it'd suck and be completely out of left field for everyone who grew up with Samus.

You mean like her current design?

I grew up with Samus, you know.

I'd feel bad for everyone who grew up with Alexis Texas In Sci Fi High Heels And A Skintight Blue Suit, for like half a second before I went back to not giving a fuck about that lame ass tits mcgee design and all its fans

Pandy

Exactly the same as the whole female Link thing. Why?

Why isn't this a thread about how cool it would be if Retro Studios new IP had a black female lead? That's an idea I can get behind.

You mean like her current design?

I grew up with Samus, you know.

I'd feel bad for everyone who grew up with Alexis Texas In Sci Fi High Heels And A Skintight Blue Suit, for like half a second before I went back to not giving a fuck about that lame ass tits mcgee design and all its fans
Explain to me what's changed, from the original art to the modern art? They made her more curvy sure, but the core design has stayed similar. Unless you want to equate a change in hairstyle to that of a change in race.

Dude what? This is a FLAW of live action. One of the most important things in crafting a world and it's characters and is continuity. I have always hated recasting cause it ruins immersion instantly. See Cuba Gooding Jr. And Don Cheadle as Rhodey in Iron Man 1 and the remainder of the movies. Am I really supposed to believe Rhodey got extensive plastic surgery and work done on his voice box?

Despite the fact that I don't like the idea, a black Samus CAN be done, it would simply require a new Continuity, i.e. :a reboot.

Cuba gooding jr?!? It was Terrence Howard. You think we all look alike or something? 👀

:p

Glass Rebel

:p God this site just keeps giving.

Keeping her design is also pandering. Giving her heels is pandering. Making a new game is pandering. It's a product created to be consumed by people; everything about it is pandering. You just don't want something that wouldn't be pandering to you.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Radically changing the design of an established character is a move that has always worked in the past, and received no backlash from its fans.

None

DmC_box_art.png

At all

Never

The entire resident evil series

This thread screams "bait"

I mean the resident evil series goes entirely counter to your point outside of the last game in general the series sales have increased rather than decreased.

MoogleMan

Honestly, it wouldn't sit right with me. Metroid doesn't need a reboot and we don't need a new samus. I grew up knowing samus as she is; no need to change that.

A black lead in a new ip would be awesome though. Nintendo could use a new ip aside from the usual suspects honestly. Something more mature, like nintendo's take on uncharted or horizon.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Even though I much prefer the more muscular look: People can have changing physical condition (and Samus would probably still be considered athletic by most if she was real human being) and dye their hair all the time. Painting their skin black or white is something people seldomly do.

Top Bottom